PDA

View Full Version : Surprise freecycle stash score

aylaanne
05-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I responded to a local freecycle post last week, where a woman was freecycling a bag of yarn that she inherited from her grandmother. She said she would never use it, and didn't want to throw it out. I assumed it was probably a bunch of acrylic or acrylic blends, so I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. Now I need to figure out what to MAKE with all of this lovely wool!

I need two posts to make all the pictures because one isn't enough!

Jenelle
05-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Oh dang. Good score :thumbsup:

aylaanne
05-19-2006, 04:02 PM
This is the rest of the stash. I swear this is everything. What a find! And for free! this girl didn't know what she was giving away!

WynnieG
05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Seriously amazing find! Both the yarn and the swift!

If you would like some free green wool for that boy's hat Ayla, I can hook you up. I have some lovely bright green stuff in a DK weight. I think there's enough here to make a full winter set (mittens, hat, scarf). PM me with your addy if you wants it!

aylaanne
05-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks wynnie! This kid is five and I'm sure the hat is going to be muddied or lost or both very quickly, so acrylic is actually better, but I'll take the wool anyways. ;) :happydance:

Jan in CA
05-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Wow! That is so cool! I do a lot of charity knitting and could use a deal like that! :inlove:

DoulaLyndsey
05-19-2006, 04:19 PM
:shock: Wow, what an awesome score!! I wish someone in my freecycle groups would list some knitting supplies, haven't spotted anything yet :crying: .

Congrats on the find!! :cheering:

sara_jayne
05-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Wow - great haul! :cheering:

Nikki
05-19-2006, 04:37 PM
nicccccccccccccccccccccccccccccce! :cheering:
Nikki

WynnieG
05-19-2006, 04:39 PM
I think Ayla's new nickname should be "Monty Haul".

aylaanne
05-19-2006, 05:40 PM
I think Ayla's new nickname should be "Monty Haul". :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Maybe. This is the second yarn windfall I've gotten in the four months I've been knitting. I'm starting to sense a trend. :happydance:

Jan in CA
05-19-2006, 05:45 PM
I applied to 3 freecycle cities and waiting to see what happens. Maybe I can find something, too!

aylaanne
05-19-2006, 05:56 PM
I applied to 3 freecycle cities and waiting to see what happens. Maybe I can find something, too!
Oh, freecycle is great for stuff beyond yarn. I get rid of a lot of stuff that I would otherwise throw out, and I get stuff that other people would throw out that I can really get some use out of! I've gotten a marble mortar and pestle for cooking and otherwise, a couple of lamps, and a dvd storage cabinet, among other things. I just got rid of 20 empty wine bottles, and I've given away a cordless phone, litter boxes, and clothes.

I also get a LOT of email, so if you haven't yet, I'd either use Gmail to filter your freecycle messages into their own folder, or get an email address that you'll use just for freecycling. If you want a gmail invite I can send you one, email me at aylaanne@gmail.com and I'll invite you.

rebecca
05-19-2006, 08:02 PM
:D She shoots.....................she SCORES :thumbsup:
Very, very nice haul :D

Tammy6071
05-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Wow, you really hit the mother lode!!! I subscribe to freecycle in my town, but so far, nothing. Lucky you!!!

Danielle
05-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Very nice! :happydance:

Jan in CA
05-19-2006, 10:23 PM
I also get a LOT of email, so if you haven't yet, I'd either use Gmail to filter your freecycle messages into their own folder, or get an email address that you'll use just for freecycling. If you want a gmail invite I can send you one, email me at aylaanne@gmail.com and I'll invite you.

I was approved! :cheering:

And yes...I had a ton of emails already! :shock: I already have a gmail addy, but I think I'll use my yahoo for now. Thanks though!

HollyP
05-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Wow! :inlove: You totally scored! :drooling: The best I have ever done on freecyle was a large ficus!

snowbear
05-20-2006, 12:33 AM
OK.. I'm new to this site... what & where & how does one join feecycle? Thanks ahead of time...

:XX:

aylaanne
05-20-2006, 12:35 AM
OK.. I'm new to this site... what & where & how does one join feecycle? Thanks ahead of time...

:XX:
Freecycle is a totally independent program. It's a grouping of yahoo groups that focus on helping members recycle things they would otherwise throw out by giving them to someone who would use them. Basically it's internet dumpster diving. www.freecycle.org for more info.

Nikki
05-20-2006, 08:15 AM
I found my local group and asked to join. With the kids gone the husband guy and I have way too much stuff (not yarn or knitting things of course ;) ) and I'd love to see it being used instead of thrown out.
Thanks for the link and idea,
Nikki

kemp
05-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Wow! You got some great stuff. I subscribed to freecycle a while back, but I found the amount of posts really overwhelming. Think I need to check back though if getting yarn like that is possible!

nicolethegeek
05-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I've never been lucky enough to get any yarn or other crafting supplies on my freecycle. I do watch for pet supplies, but since I get the digest version, I usually miss out on those.

AnreeAce
05-20-2006, 03:15 PM
:happydance:
Amazing score!