PDA

View Full Version : What have I gotten myself into

shellebelle216
05-19-2006, 05:28 PM
A couple of weeks ago I got the brilliant idea that I wanted to learn to spin. So I go to the craft show and the spinning guild for my area is there. This lady has a high whorl spindle (I want to learn on a spindle first-mostly because of lack of room for a wheel) and she shows me a little bit and made it look so easy. Now, I am not silly enough to think it is as easy as she makes it look. So, I order some rovings and my husband makes me a spindle. For the past week I have been reading all that I can on spinning.
My rovings come in today and I sit down with my book and a website that has videos and attempt to do some spinning. Well, things are not going so well. I am confused and I think everything I have read forgot to say that you need about three more hands to do this! I taought myself to knit, but I am not too sure this is something I can teach myself. :?? :doh:

Celine
05-19-2006, 06:30 PM
It has crossed my mind to give it a try too but I haven't done it yet. From everything I've read about spinning it does take time and lots of PRACTICE!! Hang in there and I'm sure you'll get it. :happydance:

shellebelle216
05-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks Celine...I am getting it a little more now, but just a LITTLE more..or at least I think I am

mintdee
05-20-2006, 12:44 AM
Try to get into contact with your local guild! Spinners are just like knitters. They want to share their craft with anyone willing to learn! That is how I learned I went to a spin in and they showed me how. Best experience seriously. Although I must warn you. Also like knitting, Spinning is a slippery slope of addiction that you will not return from ;)