PDA

View Full Version : Lifelines, vents and other grumblings (with question at end)

kitkat
05-21-2006, 02:03 PM
My younger son had swim meets yesterday and today in the AM, so I thought what a great opportunity to get going on my Picovoli sweater! I have swatched and washed/dried the swatch (which ended up giving the same results as the swatch but it was the right thing to do).....soooooo I cast on yesterday.....get to about cast on 100 out of 140....oops too short, so start over. I get casted on do a few rows life is good.

Today I am moving merrily along on this project....there is a part where you KFB in front of and after the markers.. No worries, working along...and then I got distracted...dropped a stitch....right at the KFB point......tried to fix. Problem got worse.....and worse and worse. Ironically, I had just been thinking....I should put a lifeline in here so I don't have to do this stupid cast on again!

I finally gave it up. I can fix dropped stitches now (yay me) but not dropped stitches at the KFB point. I ripped. HOped I could pick up maybe a few rows below, nope the damage I had done with my attempted fix was irrevocable. Will start again tonight. Will insert lifeline next time.

So, when knitting in the circular, how do you do a lifeline????? Just pick any random point and insert the thread around? And next question....I am doing this on 5's on my Denises....is dental floss perhaps the best thing to do???

Jan in CA
05-21-2006, 02:19 PM
When I do a lifeline on my Denise circs I used dental floss attached at the join and just knit it in carefully. When I got to the end of the row I removed it from the needle. If it's long enough and you think it won't go anywhere you can just leave it, if you are concerned you can tie a loose knot. I also move it up every few inches (or whatever you are comfortable with.)

kitkat
05-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks, Jan, I wasnt sure if dental floss would fit in there or not :)....

I will say, so far I am very impressed with Knit Picks Shine - it isn't terribly splitty, it washed and dried nicely, and it has alot more flexibility than I thought it would have. Overall a nice yarn, and you can't beat the price!!

Thank heavens I only had about 2 inches done - the lesson I learned here is that it is never too soon to insert a lifeline....I had considered doing one just one row before (on a row where they didnt have those pesky KFB's)....

aylaanne
05-21-2006, 05:42 PM
I always keep track of where the beginning of my round is, ie the join. I usually put a safety pin in between the stitches there. when I do a lifeline, I pause in my knitting and use a tapestry needle with waste yarn to drag it across. I go in every stitch. I just found that this was the best way for me, especially when knitting in the round.

I use waste yarn for stitch holders, too, and I leave it in as a lifeline when I pick up those stitches. Just in case. ;) Good luck!