PDA

View Full Version : Tit Bits

Trish
05-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Has anyone tried these knitted "tit bits" before? the pattern in at knitty.com -- http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbits.html -- As a beginner, I'm not sure about tackling them. I would love to be able to make at least one for a co-worker. Are they as easy as they look? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks, Trish

Jan in CA
05-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Those are cool, but I wish they'd call them something else. :rollseyes: It just really rubs me the wrong way.

Danielle
05-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Never made them before...the pattern doesn't look too difficult.

I think they could have came up with a better name for that pattern. 'Tit Bits' makes me think of Hilde's (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15) birthday present from KellyK! :roflhard:

Trish
05-23-2006, 08:40 AM
:thinking: I guess she just named the things for the web site. OK, what's a better name?? any suggestions? I couldn't remember the name at work when I was telling the lady about them, I was calling them "knitty titties"! I've decided to tackle one anyway. So what shall we call them now?

Trish

gardenmommy
05-23-2006, 08:48 AM
woolie boobies?

Andrea
05-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Never made them before...the pattern doesn't look too difficult.

I think they could have came up with a better name for that pattern. 'Tit Bits' makes me think of Hilde's (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15) birthday present from KellyK! :roflhard:

That's what I thought when I saw the name of this thread :roflhard:

feministmama
05-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Yarn mamaries? :lol:

knit-a-holic
05-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Those are cool, but I wish they'd call them something else. :rollseyes: It just really rubs me the wrong way.

I agree...lol. :lol:

IndianPrincessSIP
05-23-2006, 11:16 AM
From the article~

"You know," I replied, "It was my right breast that was removed."

...I suspect after a masectomy and the courage it takes to not only write with honesty the piece I just read, but to live it, this incredible person choose an extremely appropriate name for her knit pattern. Perhaps naming it as she did is really part of her 'therapy'. Kudo's to both her and Knitty.com

God Bless her, for sharing such an intimate part of her self, so that others can get beyond the stigma of tits.

Jan in CA
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
From the article~

"You know," I replied, "It was my right breast that was removed."

...I suspect after a masectomy and the courage it takes to not only write with honesty the piece I just read, but to live it, this incredible person choose an extremely appropriate name for her knit pattern. Perhaps naming it as she did is really part of her 'therapy'. Kudo's to both her and Knitty.com

God Bless her, for sharing such an intimate part of her self, so that others can get beyond the stigma of tits.

I agree with your comment except for the "extremely appropriate name" part. I've never been accused of being a prude so that's not it. To me it just sounds vulgar or demeaning. Could just be me and that's okay.

IndianPrincessSIP
05-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Imagine for a moment Jan, losing a breast. I cannot.
I dispise 'shock' for shock-sake. I really Am a prude. You won't catch me ever saying the word 'tit' outloud. Breast, boob, mammary, they all are ridiculous. It is the stigma, that I grew up with. Whatever do you call them? And why does everything that they are called sound vulgar?
Tit stigma. The sexual connotation.

Here is a brave woman, who says....I don't give a damn. Here is a person that says, 'Shock to hell, I lost my tit and made me another, and I'm supplying the recipe so that someone else can benefit.'

BraveHeart she is, and I for one applaud her. Tit for Tat.

CarmenIbanez
05-23-2006, 11:55 AM
I love the story that goes with the pattern. The last line kills me. That is the kind of sense of humor I have, and I hope I could be as funny about it were I in the same situation.

Honestly though, I also expected the pattern to be what KK made for Hildie. :roflhard:

jodstr2
05-23-2006, 12:04 PM
those are awesome! :thumbsup:

Trish
05-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I put aside a scarf and have started a sample. I've heard horror stories of bad prothesis and ill fit, not to mention the weight and discomfort of the heat and sweat generated by the silicone after a day of wearing one. My co-worker and friend Anne, is 77 yrs old and still works a full 40 hour week. She wants one in green and so shall she get one!! More if she likes them. I'm modifying the pattern a little for straight needles, my dpns are ordered, but haven't arrived yet (JoAnn.com is loving me). I will keep you updated on the progress and may come begging for help if I run into problems. I'm basically using the basic stitches with increases and plan on 3 or 4 triangles each, put together for the front and back. I had to venture past the easy stuff sooner or later, and I can't think of a better way to branch out. :pray: I just want to make her life a little brighter and make her feel a little better.
Trish

gardenmommy
05-28-2006, 01:01 AM
I just came across this pattern for a cotton chenille boob! LOL

http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/cot_chenille_boob.html

ETA, I think that is the same person who did the Knitty one, just a different type of yarn (and name of the pattern!)