PDA

View Full Version : So I just realized I never introduced myself.

knitaddict
05-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Since I am on here constantly, I should probably do that, huh. ;)

I'm Jennifer. I got a "Teach Yourself to Knit" kit from Boye for my birthday in February. Since then I've become hopelessly addicted and am knitting at every opportunity. Much to dh's embarassment I've even started taking my knitting when we go places and, to his horror, knitting when we have his macho-military men over. :rofling: To date I think I've finished about 20+ projects, most of which are for Christmas presents.

On a more personal note, I've been married to my dh for 10 years in June and we have a 3 yo ds. I wanted to learn to knit from the time I was a teen and always put it off. In Oct. I had surgery to remove my thyroid and it was discovered that I had thyroid cancer. I was blessed because it was found EXTREMELY early (and on accident), but it sort of made me realize how fleeting life can be. I decided to stop putting off those things I would do "one day."

:)

IrishBaby
05-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Welcome!

Danielle
05-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the forum!! :waving:

njknitter
05-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Welcome! This place is just too much fun! I've learned so many things that I didn't even realize I needed to know!!
Lynn

Jan in CA
05-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Welcome Knitaddict! Is your DH one of those who think only little old ladys knit? :lol:

knitaddict
05-26-2006, 01:31 PM
:roflhard: I think so. It surprises me that after 12 years of me as an avid crafter, he'd still get embarrassed by a little bit of yarn. Actually, I think most of it is just for show. He has to maintain his machismo, you know. ;)

Hallegold
05-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Hi Jennifer,

I'm 63 and had my malignant thyroid removed when I was 32. No problems since. :D

Joan

knitaddict
05-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi Jennifer,

I'm 63 and had my malignant thyroid removed when I was 32. No problems since. :D

Joan
I was 32 when I had surgery myself. It's interesting because the type of cancer I had is almost 100% "curable" if you're a woman under 35. What a blessing in disguise to get cancer this young. If you kwim. ;)

I had my final treatment @ the beginning of the month and am 100% cancer free now. :)

Rennagayle
05-26-2006, 03:29 PM
It's great to meet you, Knitaddict. :D And, praise God, that your cancer was detected early!!!

I've been knitting a little over a year, and don't have nearly as much to show for as you do. I think the younger one is when they learn it (or anything else) the easier it is to pick it up (I'm 50). I also taught myself, if you can call it that. It was really this website, Amy's video's, her cd which I purchased, and the wonderful ladies here who answered my relentless questions who taught me to knit! :mrgreen:

rebecca
05-26-2006, 04:39 PM
:D Welcome Jennifer!! I ditto Renna's praise to God that your cancer was found early!!!! YAY! I will continue to pray for you ;)
LOL, I, too, learned to knit with the Boye kit...2 yrs ago now...and I haven't put my pointy sticks down since I opened my kit 2 yrs ago ;)