PDA

View Full Version : My greatest fear............

GeeBee
05-26-2006, 01:06 PM
:crying: I was knitting on the metro on the way home from work last night, working on that scarf for my brother, when a woman sat down next to me and proceeded to tell me that there was a better and faster way to knit, that it would take me forever to fisnish my scarf at the rate that I was knitting. She wanted to show me her way, and I let her -- she rested the right needle on her right hand between her thumb and forefniger and wraped the yarn through the fingers of her right hand - i could not believe how fast she could knit that way...unfortuantley i had to get off the metro on the next stop....while she was undoing the knitting she'd done, she dropped a stitch, but becasue my yarn was fine and the pattern sort of intricate, I did not realize the droped stitch until I got to the end of the row. i was so disheartened when i relized this i just threw the entire project in the trash. it takes me approximatley one hour to crochet twice what it took me to knit in two weeks! :( :( :(

margie
05-26-2006, 01:08 PM
GRAB IT!!! Take it out of the trash!!! Don't throw away all that work because of one dropped stitch! I am among the worst when it comes to fixing mistakes in my knitting, but you can undo a couple of rows at the most and be right back to where you were. There are videos on this site of how to pick up dropped stitches- give it a try!

mulene
05-26-2006, 01:10 PM
:doh: sorry to hear of your woes =( Keep at it though, I think everyone is slow to start - this isn't a bad thing IMO since it means that we can watch what we are doing carefully :)

There's info on this site about lifelines and such. Put a lifeline in and undo to there, don't lose heart!

Friskums
05-26-2006, 01:18 PM
And don't let her tell you you're knitting slow/wrong. Knit how it's comfortable for you.

Yes, take it out of the trash. A dropped stitch isn't the end of your knitting! :thumbsup:

GeeBee
05-26-2006, 01:20 PM
thanks for your support, but the project is gone. i wish i could find that woman again, though, because i've never seen her method - she had a Spanish accent, but don't know if it was Spain, Central or South Am. I can't do the continential holding yarn in my left hand beause of arthritis -my hand/fingers are just not flexible enough. I thought i might be able to do it the way this woman did - now i wish i'd just gone past my stop! lol

I HAVE to do something to be able to knit faster though, or i'll just bag it all together

njknitter
05-26-2006, 01:25 PM
or i'll just bag it all together

NOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn

mulene
05-26-2006, 01:28 PM
How were you knitting before?

I'd be interested to know. I am a continental knitter (right hander and throw the yarn over) I wish I could do the other way (left hander) because to me that looks fairly fast but I can't get the hang of it.

Jan in CA
05-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Do you wrap the yarn around your fingers at all? It would take a lot longer if you are having to pick it up every time.

This is how I hold the yarn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Knit1.jpg).
Here is another method. (http://www.worldknit.com/howto/howtoknit/beginningtechniques/holdingyarn.html)

Whether you use one of these or some other version remember it takes practice to get the proper tension and practice to learn to knit fast. My stepmom told me that she didn't like knitting because it wasn't as fast as crochet. I told her it wasn't about going fast. It was about the process and the look of the end product.

GeeBee
05-26-2006, 01:41 PM
i knit the English method, just as shown in the bisic video on this site - -what slows me down is letting go of the right needle to trhow the yarn over when i make a stitch! i might pick up a pair of 3mm circular needles this weekend and start the scarf over -- in my slow slogging method -- does seem a bit quiker on circular to me because i can hold the right neelde between my left fingers on my left hand when i am taking the yarn over -- it is more awkward with the long straight needles. :crying: but i confess that if this scarf was for a woman i would have just crocheted it last night using one of my pretty lace crochet patterns -- it will probably take me till my brothers birthday in November to finish a knitted scarft :crying:

GeeBee
05-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Lovely purple yarn, Jan! I hold my yarn in the same manner as you. However, the first picture in that 2nd link is how the woman on the metro held her needle! I just can't figure how she got the thred around the needle -- also i wonder about knitting a sweater holding the needle that way -- wouldn't the fabric inhibit one from holding the neelde that way? :thinking:

Jan in CA
05-26-2006, 01:59 PM
LOL That's not my hand or yarn, but it is pretty yarn. Looks like it might be some sort of cotton. ;)

When I first started knitting (Oct '05) I took a class and the teacher tried to get us to hold the needle that way. It just felt way to awkward to me. I have no idea how she'd pick up the yarn w/o throwing it. :thinking:

GeeBee
05-26-2006, 02:02 PM
:lol: yeah does look like cotton. i'm going to try to get into a class in June on continental method, i'm just hoping the teacher can teach me a continential method that doesn't require me to hold the yarn in my left hand :shock:

Jan in CA
05-26-2006, 02:05 PM
:lol: yeah does look like cotton. i'm going to try to get into a class in June on continental method, i'm just hoping the teacher can teach me a continential method that doesn't require me to hold the yarn in my left hand :shock:

Well...that's what continental IS...so if you want to hold the yarn in your right hand then you need english method.

GeeBee
05-26-2006, 02:08 PM
:crying: :crying: then i need a DIFFERENT English method -- i may have to put a Wanted poster out on the woman from the metro :?? :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
:lol: I suggest you just start knitting! Practice will help speed things up, plus as you become more comfortable you will find a way to hold the needles and throw the yarn quickly. I'm pretty quick now.

Louine
05-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I agree that crocheting is faster than knitting however......I think it is the look of the finish product that is important....I love the look of knit.....so I knit and I don't worry about the time it takes....and the more I knit the faster I knit and I throw my yarn and have a lot of movement.

I had someone tell me about ten years ago that I knitted too slow and I actually stopped knitting for a while but I decided that it really didn't matter what others thought or what they could do. Don't give up on your knitting....but don't do any thing that stresses you out either.

GeeBee
05-26-2006, 03:20 PM
good to hear from another crocheter -- i've been wondering about lace knitting -- seems to me it would be much easier to corchet lace and as far as lace goes the patterns in corchet seem just as pretty to me as the knit ones. but thanks for sharing your similar experience with me.

you have all answered my plea for help and now i feel a trip to the store coming on..........might as well buy some circular needles to restart my brother's scarf :happydance: :XX:

rebecca
05-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm so happy to hear that you are going to start over :D I'm so sorry that lady disrupted your knitting, but look @ it this way, now u r getting new circs ;) And, as everyone has said, speed comes with practice; I had always thought continental knitting was faster, this is what I had heard, then when I learned to knit conti method, I found out that I was no faster than I had been as an English knitter...just practice ;)
I know that your brother will be thrilled with his scarf. What pattern & yarn are u using?

go get your smock
05-26-2006, 05:12 PM
I used to knit "full-release" (yarn in right hand, let go of needle entirely to wrap around) for more than 30 years ( :shock: ) and when re-bitten by the knitting bug about 18 months ago I couldn't stand the abuse to my hand muscles from all the grabbing and letting go.

So I taught myself to knit continental, and I hold the yarn in my left hand exactly the same way I do if I crochet. The yarn does not move much at all, and the flick of my right needle picks up just like a crochet hook. But I don't hold the right needle like a pencil, I hold it with the hand above the needle.

Maybe if you just think of it as crocheting -- since you are so fast at that -- since you are just pulling through loops in knitting, too. But most of all, don't dispair! Your hands will help you find the best way for you!

I can't believe I learned after so many years of knitting the other way, but my hands are happier and I am much faster -- which of course is not really the point. But old dogs (nothing personal!) can learn new tricks and you'll find the right trick for you.

samm
05-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi GeeBee, I happened upon this site the other day and bookmarked it. It looks to me to be similar to what the bus lady was doing. Go to www.heartstringsfiberarts.com and take a look. I tried it, but found I knit too tightly with this method. And I have no idea how to purl! I started to knit more quickly after lots of practice, but also when I began keeping my hands up close to the points of the needles. My "throw" of the yarn is barely more than a flick of the finger and tiny forward motion of the hand. I tuck long needles under my arm or balance them wherever feels right. Hope this helps! samm

GeeBee
05-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks again for your replies -- glad to know, Diane, that an old dog can be taught new tricks! I learned to knit when I was 8, but didn't pick it up again until I was in my mid-30s, and now, after another 20 years of not knitting, I'm starting again.

thanks for the link, Samm, but I did not see any directions on how to knit on there :??

CarmenIbanez
05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Keep with it! You will see that you get faster, and better and fabulous!

NinaT
05-30-2006, 07:16 PM
The lady on the Metro may have been using this method (http://www.knittingpretty.com). I'm sorry the site doesn't show any examples but I borrowed her DVDs from my library and they were quite good. The way you describe is exactly the way she holds her needles and yarn. See if your library has them. Her name is Jill Moray. Good Luck!!

GeeBee
05-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Great NinaT!!! I'm a bit technically challenged - will I be able to play the DVD in my TV? I got the DVD from this website but it will only play in my computer at work :crying:

The first scarf I was trying to make was a Diagonal Check Pattern, on straight 3mm needles, using using Jaeger 4-ply. I have now switched to 4mm circular needles and am working a check pattern p5, k5, for 5 rows then switching to k5, p5, for 5 rows, etc. I'm working with Pattons Classic Wool Merino, a lovely blue tweed.

I'm still trying to work out my puckering when I switch from K to P -- trying to do it a bit tighter...........

NinaT
05-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Gee Bee!
Yes they are regular DVDs. If you can watch movies at home, these will work.
I will say that I enjoyed watching the video but I didn't change my way of knitting (English). It's hard to teach an old dog...