PDA

View Full Version : Total Frustration

Chel
05-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Well, I am trying a lace pattern that is pretty complicated... the problem is I keep ending up with extra stitches. After frogging the entire thing 4 times last night-using (and abusing) the most beautiful, soft mohair yarn...I decided to post and explain the problem. Well I wrote out the ENTIRE list of instructions and a long post explaining in detail where I was having the problem and *poof* our electric went out just as I was ready to submit it. :doh:

So, without writing out the pattern again... has anyone ever heard of a lace pattern called Apple Leaves? And if so, did you tear patches of hair out over it?

Ingrid
05-27-2006, 10:59 AM
I haven't heard of the pattern--where is it from?

Two words for lace--life line!!!

When you have completed a row or pattern repeat that you know is correct, run a strand of contrasing color yarn, or dental floss, through the stitches that are on the needle using a tapestry needle. This way, if you need to take rows out, your work is saved up to the lifeline. You just need to reinsert your needle.

Is there a particular row that you're having trouble with?

Another idea is to use stitch markers, if possible, between every repeat. Sometimes this doesn't work because the pattern gets wider and narrower.

Chel
05-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Last Saturday I went garage sale-ing with my mom and found a stack of old knitting books and magazines from the early 70's for a nickel a piece.

The pattern I am attempting is from a Knitting Dictionary book called "900 Stitch Patterns" printed in France in 1972. There are several beautiful patterns in this book I have never seen elsewhere.

The one I am working on is "Apple Leaves"

I can't seem to get past the 3rd row. Which is pretty silly considering its a 31 row pattern. At the end of the 3rd row I have 4 stitches left over no matter how I work it. I know I HAVE to be doing something wrong.

Also, because the pattern has a selvege edge I decided to just do 1 set of the pattern at a time and stitch them together at the end.

Ingrid
05-27-2006, 11:18 AM
What are the first three rows?

Chel
05-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Multiple of 19 + 2

Rows 1, 3, 5 and 7: k1, * sl1, k1, psso, k3 (wrn to make 1, sl1, k1, psso) twice, m1, k1, m1, (k2tog, m1) twice, k3, k2tog *, 1

Row 2 and alt rows: p.

Ingrid
05-27-2006, 12:33 PM
You should end up with 21 stitches after doing the first row. The result would look like this:

kkkkk0k0k0k0k0k0k0k0k0k0k0kkkkk (the 0's being yo's)

The decreases balance out the increases, too. :thinking:

Written out I'd get:

k1, skp, k3, yo, skp, yo, skp, yo, k, yo, k2t, yo, k2t, yo, k3, k2t, k1

I hope this helps.

Chel
05-27-2006, 12:42 PM
I think I'm feeling confident enough to try this again. I did find photo of a project done in this pattern although they call it apple leaf instead of apple leaves as in the book I have.

This is what it looks like:
http://www.yarn-store.com/images/ilga-urban-goddess.jpg

So pretty. :)

And thank you for your help Ingrid!!!!

Ingrid
05-27-2006, 12:46 PM
That is pretty! Good luck with it.

rebecca
05-27-2006, 01:43 PM
:D I do wish you good luck with the pattern...it's gorgeous ;)

Virtuella
05-27-2006, 02:09 PM
OMG, that pattern was beautiful! I wish you good luck!

Celine
05-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow!! That really is such a beauiful patterns. Don't give up!! :XX: :XX: :XX: