PDA

View Full Version : another graduation brag alert!

Cristy
05-29-2006, 07:29 AM
I started working with students with autism 7 years ago and my very first year I began working with a boy named Nick. Nick quickly drew near and dear to my heart..he has Asperger's Syndrome. Nick went through some very rough times over the years--even a suicide attempt. When we met, I was the lead instructor for a reading clinic for students with autism through the big medical school down here--after I left I lost touch w/ Nick for about 2 years. One day, my ex told me that Nick's mom had found my number and called our old house--I called them back and they wanted to know if I would work with Nick privately from my home. I agreed and am still working with him (that was about 2 years ago). On Friday, I am SO proud to announce that Nick not only graduated from high school, but he did so with High Honor!!! I'm so proud I could burst!

It looks like I'll continue to work with him through the early college years--especally those freshman English and Literature courses!

Goldkeeper
05-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Congrats Cristy,

You should feel so proud...I too have a child with Asperger's Syndrome he is 12 years old and if was not for his great teachers I don't know how we could have managed..He is also in high honors in middle school and we have great dreams for him with help of all of his teachers.. :thumbsup:

Ana

Shandeh
05-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Keep your hopes high. :thumbsup:

I also have a son with Asperger's. He is almost 21 now, and is doing very well studying computer science in college. He lived on campus for a while in an apartment with 3 other students, but has chosen to live with his dad this semester. I was glad that he had the experience of living on campus, but his grades suffered a bit during that time. Now that he is commuting, he is doing much better.

(He graduated from high school with honors as well!)

margie
05-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Cristy, that is a wonderful story!! You should be very proud. We questioned for a time if my son might have Aspergers- he doesn't-, but I read quite a bit of it during that time. How wonderful for Nick and his family that he has been able to have the support of someone like you to help him! :cheering:

rebecca
05-29-2006, 12:28 PM
:D Cristy, how WONDERFUL!! You should be very, very proud, You have made quite an impact on his life :D
YAY NICK!!!

Jan in CA
05-29-2006, 12:33 PM
That's wonderful, Cristy!

mks22300
05-29-2006, 01:16 PM
That's awesome Cristy!! :cheering:

Ingrid
05-29-2006, 01:20 PM
:cheering: That warms my heart! So many people think that autism includes lack of intellect. It's a shame, really. Your boy proved them wrong.

There is a young man at my school, kind of overweight, rather 'odd' in his Asperger's way--the others often either shun him or make fun of him.

At our recent school Creative Arts show he got up there with his hair all cornrowed, in a cool suit and did an awesome rap that he wrote himself. The other students couldn't get over it. He's graduating this year, too--with his full Regents diploma. 3/4 of our other students opt for GED.

Cristy
05-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Asperger's is a wonderful and odd disorder....I am captivated by it. I know many adults at various places along the spectrum and two of them have their PhD! I'm so proud of Nick b/c I knew he could do it...it's been a long road and I know that college isn't going to be easy for him but we'll make it through. He will be living on campus beginning in the fall and commuting to my house once a week for tutoring. He's really become a part of our family and I can't imagine not having him around (to tell which candles I can burn in his presence and which ones "bother" him...to tell me about star wars for the 10 billionth time since we first met even though I tell him each time I've never seen it and am not interested....to ask me if I've finished the harry potter books yet, and on and on!!)

Shandeh
05-30-2006, 12:41 PM
So funny to hear you describe the questions he asks. My son was a lot like that when he was younger.

Here is my son's webpage: http://www.joshuapilkington.com/

jodstr2
05-30-2006, 12:56 PM
:cheering: congratulations Cristy! and thank you for caring about and believing in him. the world needs more people like you! :cheering: