PDA

View Full Version : FINISHED Striped Socks - Synchronized Knitting Display

Shandeh
05-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Since I have SOOOO much sock yarn in my stash, it's time for me to get the socks actually knitted! After realizing that I have 2 sets of size 3 double points, I decided to knit them simultaneously, one row at a time. That way, they'll be finished at the same time, and I can start wearing them right away. My biggest problem has always been getting that 2nd sock started.
:X:

Hey, maybe I should buy MORE sets of double points. Then I can have a HUGE synchronized knitting display! Can you imagine knitting 4 pairs of socks at the same time?
:roflhard:

rebecca
05-29-2006, 03:54 PM
:D I always knit my socks in tandem when I use dpns..I have 2, 3, 4 sets of the same size in all of my sock dpns ;)

Those sure r purty socks :thumbsup:

knitqueen
05-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Those look faaaaantastic. I love the colourful sock yarn!!! :happydance:

Do you find that you lose your rhythm when you switch every row??? I have done socks in tandem too but I tend to do the cuff all at once, then the cuff of the second sock, then leg of one, then the leg of the other...etc. Just curious how you find it going row by row?

IrishBaby
05-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Cool idea! Lookin' good...

Tammy6071
05-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Thats a great idea. I always find that on the second sock, Im so worried about going too far, I usually end up shorter than the other!! Are those aluminum DPNs? Do you find them easy to use?? I find I have such a hard time with the yarn sliding off!! Almost made me give up, but then I tried bamboo on a suggestion from someone and they worked out much better for me!!

Shandeh
05-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Are those aluminum DPNs? Do you find them easy to use?? I find I have such a hard time with the yarn sliding off!! Almost made me give up, but then I tried bamboo on a suggestion from someone and they worked out much better for me!!

Yes, they are the cheap aluminum needles. I never have a problem, because I am such a TIGHT knitter. My stitches never fall off - ever! I guess that sometimes it pays to be a tight knitter.

I always make my socks from the top down so I can end in Kitchener Stitch. Otherwise, I end up with a narrow edge at the top that won't stretch big enough for my foot to get through! (I know - use bigger needles - believe it or not, my binding off is STILL tight, even with that trick.)

I do have one set of bamboo needles, but just can't afford to buy more. I prefer to have nice yarn instead!

Jan in CA
05-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Beautiful! I love that yarn! :inlove:

Shandeh
05-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Do you find that you lose your rhythm when you switch every row??? I have done socks in tandem too but I tend to do the cuff all at once, then the cuff of the second sock, then leg of one, then the leg of the other...etc. Just curious how you find it going row by row?

This is the first time I've tried it, and it's not bad actually. I am using different colored needles, so I always know which one to count the completed row with. Now, if they were exactly the same, I would probably get confused!
:??

Amber
05-29-2006, 11:00 PM
That's a very good idea! The socks look great!

nicolethegeek
05-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Great start on your socks. I :heart: that yarn!

Shandeh
05-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks!

Just in case anyone is wondering, the yarn is some sock yarn I got in an eBay auction a couple years ago. It's from Italy - "Forever Jacquard" by Lane Cervinia Tollegno. Filatura Cervinia is also written on the label, so take your guess on the name of the company. :thinking:

The color is #210. It calls for size 1 or 2 US needles, but since I'm a tight knitter, I'm using size 3 needles.

Jenelle
05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Very pretty! :inlove: :thumbsup:

CarmenIbanez
05-30-2006, 02:44 PM
very good idea! They look great.

Shandeh
06-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Update!

I've finished the heel and gusset. Now I'm working on the foot!

kemp
06-05-2006, 10:09 AM
They look great! I love doing both socks at once...no SSS that way :)

Shandeh
06-05-2006, 12:41 PM
They look great! I love doing both socks at once...no SSS that way :)

Exactly....I've always had the hardest time forcing myself to make the 2nd sock. When the first sock is finished, I want to relax and bask in the moment of completion. But I can't....because the project is actually only halfway done! It's kind of a downer.

Thanks for the compliment. I am really looking forward to wearing them! I've made them short, because my chunky legs just can't handle the long leg lengths. I prefer ankle socks most of the time.

bjc1050
06-05-2006, 04:18 PM
They look SUPER!

Shandeh
06-05-2006, 04:32 PM
They look SUPER!

Thanks Beverly! I must say I am proud of them. I might just have to wear sandals with my socks to show them off. :lol:

Shandeh
06-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Alert the media! Sandy finished a project!

I can't believe it. They're done. And the stripes match perfectly.

The coolest part is that they were both finished at EXACTLY the same time.

Shandeh
06-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Check this out. I still have TONS of yarn left. Maybe enough for another pair? I'll have to weigh the socks, then weigh my leftover yarn and see if it's the same. :figureditout:

I've also added a photo here of my socks right after I finished them. I was sitting in my craft room at the time. Look at all that chaos! :lol:

SimplyKaar
06-08-2006, 02:19 PM
:cheering: :happydance:

I love them!!! Good job :)
I'm just knitting my very first sock for the second time (who said you don't have a second chance at a first.. ;) ) so I'm not ready to do 2 at the same time.
But once I've finished this tester pair, I will definitely come back to this thread and follow your lead on how to do 2 socks at the same time. I don't necessarily want to sit back and bask in glory but I would be bumbed that I can't wear the sock straight away because there's half of the pair still missing.

And ehm... weighing to see if you'd still have enough yarn left; Ofcourse :doh:
What a briliant idea!! I would never thought of that myself and would just have guessed whether I'd still have enough left.

Have fun with your new socks! :thumbsup:

Virtuella
06-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Beautiful yarn!

Shandeh
06-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Beautiful yarn!

I like it too. It's "Forever Jacquard" by Lane Cervinia, from Italy.

Shandeh
06-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm just knitting my very first sock for the second time (who said you don't have a second chance at a first.. ;) ) so I'm not ready to do 2 at the same time.

Good luck with your socks! Be careful, though. Sock-knitting is as addictive as buying yarn! :D

sara_jayne
06-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Congratulations on finishing! ;) They look wonderful!!!

Shandeh
06-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I'll have to weigh the socks, then weigh my leftover yarn and see if it's the same. :figureditout:

Yee ha! I just weighed the socks, and they weigh 1.6 ounces.

My yarn weighs 1.8 ounces! I have enough for another pair! :cheering:

Debbie
06-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Good idea ... I have a few onlys ... and not because the washing machine ate them :)

Pixywhispers
06-08-2006, 06:09 PM
lookin good.

kemp
06-08-2006, 07:28 PM
They look fantastic. I can' t believe how well the stripes match! Self patterning yarn is the greatest invention since sliced bread!

Shandeh
06-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Thank you for all the sweet compliments. My head is about to explode from all this encouragement! :D

I wore my new socks to choir practice tonight and showed them off. Everyone said, "You know how to make SOCKS?" They were impressed, and I was proud. :mrgreen:

mulene
06-09-2006, 04:39 AM
gah I wish I had done this with my socks - two at once! I have two unfinished pairs! Maybe I could just wear odd socks and start a new trend ;) :rofling:

Shandeh
06-09-2006, 10:12 AM
gah I wish I had done this with my socks - two at once! I have two unfinished pairs! Maybe I could just wear odd socks and start a new trend ;) :rofling:

Go for it! I'd be willing to join in on the odd pair thing. I think I've done that before on an early morning getting dressed anyway.

I remember once, when I was an executive assistant (and a busy single mother), I went to work wearing two different black shoes. :shock: They were not even the same height! I think I tried to stay at my desk all day that day. :oops:

CarmenIbanez
06-09-2006, 01:42 PM
SUPER cute!