PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a tote bag for all the needles, etc?

skNYC
05-31-2006, 02:07 PM
I bought 2 zip folders for needles and hooks. With the stock I just accumulated recently, I need to get 10 more of those. I want to know if any company makes a tote bag with all the slots and straps for needles and hooks so I can stash like 30 pairs of spn and dpn's, 20 circulars, 20 hooks... :thinking:

DianaM
05-31-2006, 03:07 PM
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82324&PRODID=130622&source=search Don't know if that would help. :thinking:
Go to Joann.com, and make a search for "totes". They have a looot of stuff.

I've found tackleboxes and artbins very useful. They're not made for knit/crochet, but they can be adapted to it.

JLC
05-31-2006, 03:42 PM
I've been looking for something like that too. Right now I have a felted bag inside my knitting bag and I was rooting through it last night, looking for a size 6 circular and my dh looked over and said it looked like a tangled mess. Something with several (see through) pockets on the inside would be really good. I've been looking on-line but it's so hard to tell what those totes really look like and how big they are.

skNYC
05-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Yes, those bags look nice but I really want to see them in person to see if I can get use of them. But thanks for the link.

DianaM
05-31-2006, 04:39 PM
:thinking: If you are (or someone you know) crafty at sewing, you can actually make your own w/o much effort. This lady at an Multiple Sclerosis center I did part of my practice at had a very simple looking, but very functional one she'd made herself.

Get small zippered bags (about your average school pencil bag, or create a pattern that's similar), and sew velcro on the back of them. For larger needles, you can take a pattern out of a school flute bag and do the same as with the smaller bags.

Then get a large tote, or bag of your choice, that has not too many dividers inside and sew the other bits of the velcro to the bag's walls. Your smaller pouches will be able to stay in one place w/o creating a mess.

Just an idea.... :thinking:

skNYC
05-31-2006, 04:55 PM
I have been thinking about making one myself too. Before doing that, I would like to see if anybody already had the idea and made them for sale. Thanks for the idea though.

Celine
05-31-2006, 05:17 PM
I know what you mean about needing a case. I "outgrew" the zip case I got at Joanns but then I was there the other day and they had them on clearance for $7.00 so I bought another zipped one. In the first one now I keep my alluminum needles and the new one I keep my bamboo needles and my double pointed also. But now that I have my Denise set I'm not even using any of those needles in the two zipped cases. But I'm glad to know they are safely tucked away for when I need them again. :XX: :XX:

Ellen Edwards
06-01-2006, 12:46 PM
SK--I liked the looks of the JoAnn one at first, but I always read the reviews (Thank goodness for reviews!!) and there were several people that had thoughtful criticisms about these bags!!

I think you can make your own--knowing exactly what you need and want--just by buying more of the small zippered packets and a larger tote--like HanAku was saying--you'd probably like it more since you created it your self. Thank heavens for VELCRO!!

( I KNOW you want to put that supply of addis from Jeff in there!! lol) :thumbsup:

DianaM
06-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Found this link while prowling for random patterns http://www.organizedknitter.com/

Their stuff is quite pricey, but browsing through will get you a good idea of what to look for in a tote. Or you might try contacting them about making you a custom one.

NinaT
06-01-2006, 10:17 PM
I had an idea that wouldn't require any craftiness. How about a three-ring binder and a bunch of those pencil cases that kids use for school? I think I'll wait for school supplies to go on sale and make myself a holder for all of my circs (that I bought before my interchangeables). You can label each pouch with the appropriate size.

Shandeh
06-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Well, I guess I'm a rebel (as usual).

I don't use a bag. Here's my set of needles:

skNYC
06-02-2006, 05:20 AM
Wow, you guys all got great ideas! You have given me a better idea of what I will do about this organizing thing.
Carolina red: if I stole a pair/set of needles from your bucket/basket, would you notice the missing? :lol:

mulene
06-02-2006, 08:54 AM
When I took knitting back up - I had a lack of needles in various sizes. I knew buying a full set would be costly, but I was browsing ebay when I came across an auction for an Artbin Folder FULL of needles. It has every needle size that I'd need and extra pockets and places for DPN's / Row Counters / Bobbins etc etc. I love it - its very useful and keeps everything in the same place.

I'm trying to load the picture of it but there seems to be some network problem here at work - I'll load a pic later :)

I considered making a roll for myself too - I'll likely do that for the DPN's as I grow my collection of those!

Shandeh
06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Carolina red: if I stole a pair/set of needles from your bucket/basket, would you notice the missing? :lol:

Hmmm...I wonder. But I would eventually find out, because I have each and every one of them listed on a spreadsheet in my computer. (Yeah I know.....I'm a teeny bit compulsive.)

There are a few in there that I would definitely notice if they were missing. Like the vintage "luxite" double points, or the bamboo circulars, or some of my other favorites.

Mulene, I started my needle collection on eBay too! That's where most of my vintage needles came from.

mulene
06-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Here is the pic of my artbin folio :

Shandeh
06-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Cool set, Mulene!

Jenelle
06-02-2006, 01:37 PM
I found these. (http://www.ashlandsky.com/as/Ashland%20Sky%20Products.html) I'm thinking that you could attach velco onto the back of them and into a backpack or tote or something.

mulene
06-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Cool set, Mulene!

Thanks! Was one of my super bargains on ebay! =D

AidanM
06-03-2006, 02:39 AM
I'd look for a needle case that you could put into a tote, not a tote with all the storage built in. It just seems like there are lots more needle cases with places for notions and such than there are totes.

Robin R
06-03-2006, 04:50 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day when I was at Hancock Fabrics and looking for something to hold my first few sets of needles. Wouldn't it be so cool if a company would make something like one of those totes with handles with needle holders on the inside. That way you could have some yarn down in the bottom, your needles in the side pockets and you could throw your wallet, keys and sunglasses in it and be off! Well, provided you weren't knitting something as large as a house... :lol:

Shandeh
06-03-2006, 06:17 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day when I was at Hancock Fabrics and looking for something to hold my first few sets of needles. Wouldn't it be so cool if a company would make something like one of those totes with handles with needle holders on the inside. That way you could have some yarn down in the bottom, your needles in the side pockets and you could throw your wallet, keys and sunglasses in it and be off! Well, provided you weren't knitting something as large as a house... :lol:

I have a tote like that. One of my piano students gave it to me after my recent surgery. (I couldn't teach for 8 weeks, so she missed me a LOT!)

Here's a link to a website that sells it. It's called "The Project Bag" by Bagsmith.
http://www.stitchesmarket.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=491&cat=96&page=1

Cristy
06-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Mulene--that is a cool art bin thingy...I've looked at their other project bags and found several that I like...they do a good job with crafty/artsy totes!

I'm more on red's side of this....although I tend to be an amazingly organized person, I'm happy putting mine into a cup or basket. The problem is my circs....with those (Since they are all addis), I make sure the little plastic bag they come in is labeled clearly with the US size (I write it on there w/ a sharpie) and then put them in a basket in order by size...I'll try to take a pic to post sometime soon...

skNYC
06-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Mulene:

The arbin folio is exactly what I got from Joann's except mine is of different color. I got 1 sets of SPNs in there and the ends are so big hence there is no more room for anything else; I have some stitch markers and cable hooks in the right side compartments. I am afraid if I put more needles in there they'll bend. Then I need some storage for my circulars and DPNs, and crochet hooks, and whatever strikes my fancy the next time I shop on or off line...

mulene
06-05-2006, 07:20 PM
I agree Sky, I love the artbin folio with all the needles in it but I wouldn't like to fit anything else in.

I figured though that it was ok since I have the denise and boye sets of circs (not moved on enough to use addi's yet) and those both also come "cased" My mother has her old needles all in a carpet bag.

I like the look of the project bag that keeps it all in!

Stitchluvr
06-07-2006, 12:54 PM
As a longtime crocheter and a new knitter, I have a full collection of crochet hooks and a growing collection of knitting needles, but I had no single place to put them - they were kind of all over the place.

If you like to sew, please take a look at McCalls pattern No. M4728 - it is quite easy to make:
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4728.htm

I had fun making myself the very large, roomy tote bag that has lots of outside and inside pockets. I also made the roll-up cases for the hooks and the long needles. With scraps of fabric I devised/invented a roll-up case for circular needles, and also made small cases for sewing needles, scissors, tape measure, etc.

I went to a fine-quality fabric store in my area. In their decorator fabrics section, they sell remnants of excellent fabrics that were probably originally meant for upholstery and curtains. US$3.97 a yard, 55 inches wide. Between fabric, thread, snaps, and ribbons, I made an absolutely gorgeous set (tote, knitting/crochet hook and needle cases, smaller ones for accessories) for less than US$20. The ladies at my weekly knitting/crochet group get-together at the local coffee shop were drooling with envy.

Simplicity also has a pattern for a tote and cases - I have not bought it but it too looks very nice:
No. 4542 (also has a waist/fanny pack for small knitting/crochet projects).

Fabric stores sometimes have patterns on sale for US$.99, US$$1.99, or US$$2.99, quite a good saving on the regular price.

Hope this helps.
Stitch Luvr