PDA

View Full Version : Sock Question

Danielle
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Do the socks that have about an inch or so of ribbing at the top, and then straight stockinette have a tight fit? I want to make a pair, but it seems to me like they would be tight on my leg. :thinking:

Shandeh
06-01-2006, 11:51 PM
I think the ribbing is the part that "hugs". The stockinette part is bigger.

Julie
06-02-2006, 01:40 AM
Right -- the ones that have ribbing all the way from the cuff to the ankle are more snug. If you switch to stockinette they're a little looser.

skNYC
06-02-2006, 05:11 AM
Isn't stockinette a type of ribbing? :??

TwoLeftNeedles
06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
My ankle is 8 inches around. The fullest part of my calf measures 13 inches around. If my sock leg is only 4 inches or so, I can get away with staying at 8 inches in circumference in a stretchy stitch like ribbing. In a stitch pattern with no sideways give, I might have to increase a stitch every round to keep the cuff from cutting in to my leg.

margie
06-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Isn't stockinette a type of ribbing? :??

Nope- stockingette is knit one row, purl one row- when you're knitting in the round, just knitting around creates the stockinette. In this picture, these two socks are actually knit with the same number of stitches. The pink and grey socks are ribbed the whole length of the leg, while the other sock only has about an inch of ribbing at the top, and the rest is stockinette.

Danielle
06-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for that pic. In my mind I kept thinking the st. stitch wouldn't have any give to it like ribbing would. I think I'll try making a pair like yours on the right. What size needle did you use, and did you go by a specific pattern?

rebecca
06-02-2006, 11:00 AM
If you follow Silver's socks (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm) you are good to go ;)

itsbecca1979
06-02-2006, 11:05 AM
I have trouble with my first pair of socks staying up, I think because I only ribbed the first inch or 2...this pair I'm making now, the entire cuff is ribbed so it's more snug.

margie
06-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for that pic. In my mind I kept thinking the st. stitch wouldn't have any give to it like ribbing would. I think I'll try making a pair like yours on the right. What size needle did you use, and did you go by a specific pattern?

I agree with Rebecca, Silver's sock tutorial is excellent, and covers everything!! I used the Ann Norling adult basic socks pattern, with size 2 needles. Have fun!!! :cheering:

knitqueen
06-02-2006, 11:48 AM
I personally think that socks with an all-over rib are much better as far as staying up. It doesn't make them tight either (provided you used enough stitches), even if the socks looks super skinny, the ribbing can stretch out to be pretty much as big around as stockinette would be but it hugs to your individual curves. Here's a pic of a pair of socks I made that were ribbed all the way down. They were for my sister and she LOVES them.