PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Please Participate!

horve1
06-02-2006, 07:18 AM
I'm working on a "Very Cool Sock" for myself and have about 5" done. (Maybe 70 rows or so.) I'm loving it. Looks great, pretty easy. But when I picked it up to knit last night, I noticed a mistake. On one of the rows where you're supposed to slip 2 w/ yarn on the inside, I did it with the yarn on the outside twice in a row. If it was a few rows back, no question, I'd frog without thinking about it. But it's 25 rows back! (2 -3 hours, if I don't mess up more frogging.) So, what would you do?

Cristy
06-02-2006, 07:24 AM
I know that's a hard call...I was faced with something similar recently on a sock....I decided to frog and it was so traumatic that I put the sock down and haven't picked it back up to finish....I can't stand mistakes though. I know I'll get back to it but just not at the moment.

catownedanna
06-02-2006, 07:39 AM
I'd leave it. If it was "only" a sock and it would be hidden under my jeans.

But then again, do you really have to frog every stitch on these 25 rows if you want to correct it? Would you be able to fix it by dropping stitches and work your way up? With a complicated pattern that might not be done but if it's something simpler...

Hope you're going to be happy with whatever choice you make! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
06-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Personally, I'd probably leave it. I've frogged more than that when something bothered me, so I think it's a personal call. If it's the only thing you're going to see on that sock and you'll feel better after it's fixed, then do it. There's no guarantee that it won't happen again, though. Remember that it IS handmade.

njknitter
06-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I voted to leave it, but the big question is "how noticable is it?" Some things will bug you because it jumps right out at you, others are things that you see but no one else in the world would be able to see it unless you point it out.

If it would bother you enough not to wear, frog it. I would certainly leave it if it isn't really obvious.

Either way, what an adventure knitting is!!

Lynn

mulene
06-02-2006, 09:09 AM
I voted leave it too. I have some mistakes in a sock im on at the moment- was doing another project that was k1 p1 rib.. picked socks up that should be k2 p2 rib and started doing k1 p1 rib. Put them down again 5 mins later (was waiting to have an x-ray) picked up again later and carriedon in k2p2 rib. I only noticed after another couple of inches of knitting. It doesn't show *too* badly and the socks are for me so I've left it. It would break my heart to have to frog a sock I think!

Celine
06-02-2006, 09:17 AM
If I frog or not really depends on what I'm knitting and how "noticable" the mistake is. I'm knitting a baby blanket for any future grand children I may have and I do have some errors in it but the pattern is such that it is not very noticable. I am the ONLY knitter in my family so they won't ever know!!
:XX: :XX: :XX:
I am a "process" knitter and I do love the knitting part so I have certainly frogged a LOT in the past and really do not mind that much if I feel I really need to. :D

VictoiseC
06-02-2006, 09:20 AM
You know about those rugs that always have a mistake in them because to be perfect is imitating "allah" and that's not supposed to be done....

! I'd definitely leave it. Doesn't sound like a huge mistake and after all, they are way down there on your feet!

DoulaLyndsey
06-02-2006, 09:24 AM
That's a lot of frogging! If it's not that noticeable, I'd just leave it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-02-2006, 09:47 AM
I like the dropping the stitches and picking them back up option.

bjc1050
06-02-2006, 09:57 AM
I voted to leave it. However - if it were for a gift, I would frog it. I demand perfection or near perfection for gifts.

cozy
06-02-2006, 09:59 AM
I voted not to frog. I've frogged for less, but have become less compulsive.

Pixywhispers
06-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Even the Amish purposefully leave mistakes. To let the devil out I suppose, and probably to keep pride away.
I voted to leave it and continue :XX: .

rebecca
06-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree with bjc, if it's a gift and if it's noticeable to others I'd frog...if it's only seen by me...I'd leave it & not think twice ;)

feministmama
06-02-2006, 10:59 AM
If anyone asks say "it's part of the design" :rollseyes:

Amber
06-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I like the dropping the stitches and picking them back up option.

That would be my first choice too!

CarmenIbanez
06-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't frog much. I try very hard to fix mistakes. If I am working on something really special (not that all my stuff isn't special, but YOU know what I mean) I might frog. But I try every other avenue first.

horve1
06-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Thank you so much, everyone for your input. The sock is frogged back to "perfection" and I'm starting back to work on it as soon as I finish writing this. I actually feel much better now, having done it.

And as far as not offending the gods by trying to make something perfect, I'm sure there will be a mistake I'll miss and wind up not fixing before I'm done! :lol:

KellyK
06-02-2006, 12:59 PM
I couldnt really answer....it would depend on several things... Im afraid I dont have enough information to be honest. :oops:

Shandeh
06-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Whenever I make a mistake that far back on a sock, I just leave it. Sometimes, I'll "cheat" and go back with a needle and thread to try to pull and attach the bad parts through to the back so it doesn't bother me so much. I use kind of a "Sandy Darning" stitch. :D

Jan in CA
06-02-2006, 01:31 PM
In this case I wouldn't frog if it's just for me. I'd call it a learning experience and be more careful next time.

Now if it were for someone else or a sweater where it would show then yes, I probably would fix it.

Pixywhispers
06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Thank you so much, everyone for your input. The sock is frogged back to "perfection" and I'm starting back to work on it as soon as I finish writing this. I actually feel much better now, having done it.

And as far as not offending the gods by trying to make something perfect, I'm sure there will be a mistake I'll miss and wind up not fixing before I'm done! :lol:

HA! I knew you were going to do the exact opposite of the majority. Was that your plan all along?

<HAHAHAHAHHA>

Many a prayer will be going up for you today. HA! And your "perfect" sock. :)

Pixywhispers
06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm just teasing. I know its often hard to make a decision till you hear all. And its really wise as well.

horve1
06-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Pixywhispers - Actually, I was legitimately undecided when I started the poll. But I'm sooo glad I went the way I finally did. Especially since I showed it to one of my knitting friends at work and she saw it immediately. (She's a real eagle-eye when it comes to knitting, which is why I asked her in the first place.)

Thanks again everyone! :XX:

rebecca
06-03-2006, 09:19 AM
:D I'm glad you are happy with your decision and ready to get going with it cause I really want to see the FO...the pattern looks like it's a fun knit, too ;)

samm
06-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Well next time, just plan to repeat the mistake in the second sock!!!! :thinking: Glad you are happy and feeling relieved. :XX: samm

Pixywhispers
06-03-2006, 06:52 PM
I agree with Rebecca I am dyeing to see this sock! :)