PDA

View Full Version : Hummmmm, what do you think?

Old Knitter
06-04-2006, 08:34 AM
I have a general idea that might be a great project for our group. How about we each knit a 4x4, 5x5, whatever size, square and all the squares are sent "somewhere" for assembly and then donated? As you can see, my idea is loose and not well thought out. Obviously, we'd have to choose yarn weight, hues, etc. And, how about the poor person assembling thid thing.......do they not only assemble, but pay postage to mail it off to wherever we donate it? Well, just something to think about.

Holly

Mama Bear
06-04-2006, 08:41 AM
The Warming Grace (http://warminggrace.blogspot.com/) project does this. The blankets go to children with cancer. She has a very workable and organized system.

Their squares are 5". What my daughter and I discovered is that it doesn't take much more to make up 8" squares than it does a 5" square. Sometimes actually less work because it's hard to make a nice small 5" square with anything heavier than a DK weight... so more stitches for a smaller square. The 8" squares work well for DK or worsted and that means a LOT less seaming for whoever puts them together.

Just a thought.

Mama Bear

Knitting Nan
06-04-2006, 08:44 AM
That is actually a good idea, I read something like that on one of the other forums I belong to, they were doing 6X6 suares and sewing them together to make blankets for preemie baby's to keep them warm in hospitals. I will see if I can find it again and give you the link to the forum.

Mama Bear
06-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Nan, is this the one you were looking for? The Preemie Project (http://www.thepreemieproject.com/) I know they take squares.

So as not to hi-jack this thread, I won't place details here, but there is also a compassionate KAL I posted yesterday on the Knit-along board.

Mama Bear

ToledoKnitwit
06-04-2006, 10:27 AM
There's also Warm Up America. http://www.warmupamerica.com/how.html

Groups or individuals can send whole completed afghans/blankets, or packages of squares. They obviously prefer completed blankets. 7"x9" squares are what the organization requests if just unjoined blocks are sent.

I think this is a great idea for a KAL. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure there will be no shortage of people and places in need this fall and winter.

Knitting Nan
06-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Yea that is the one I was thing of. Glad someone knew about it, after working 12hrs yesterday and doing another 12hr today brains gone to mush....... :roflhard:

kemp
06-04-2006, 01:29 PM
My friend Drew does some charity work with squares... more info at his blog www.thecrochetdude.blogspot.com

The ones I have seen from him are crochet, but they might accept knit too.

Old Knitter
06-04-2006, 02:50 PM
I just went to your friend's Blog. How lucky you are to have a friend like that! You can tell what a wonderful personality he has from reading his site. Did you notice the bedspread under the charity section.........I wish I could crochet.

Holly