PDA

View Full Version : OT: Please help me name the dog

boyforpele13
06-06-2006, 02:13 AM
For those of you who don't know, I am fostering this pug from a local rescue organization with the intention of adopting him once he is cleared medically, which will be a while. They dubbed him "Lucky" because he was Lucky to be alive, but a) I don't like this name and b) I feel like it's asking for trouble. I have received many wonderful suggestions, but we're going on 3 days home now without a name, so I'm getting desperate here, and I don't think he likes being called "hey". ;)

Here he is so you know what you're naming:

http://mysite.verizon.net/boyforpele/Music/nameless1.JPG

http://mysite.verizon.net/boyforpele/Music/nameless2.JPG

http://mysite.verizon.net/boyforpele/Music/nameless3.JPG

Of the list of 25 or so names I had started with, it's currently narrowed down to:

Eddie, Henry, Tovi, Akio, Dexter, Justin, and Bondy (from Yiddish word for thief/bandit. He's a ball of mischief.) I like all of these, probably Tovi and Akio the best, but Henry (mom's suggestion) would be really cute because then if I adopted him he'd be Henry Higgins. ;) However, I am still open to another name not found on this list since I am really not 100% in love with any of them. I prefer more people kinda names as opposed to pet names, unless it's something fabulous and original. Personality wise, he has no training, as he came in as a stray, so he is a monster, climbs on everything, loves to eat yarn (that's a big problem ;-)), likes to wee on things (marking, not a housebreaking problem, hence the cute little garment he's modeling), and is just darling. He's a happy, sweet, and stubborn little guy, and friends not familiar with pugs liken him to a little gremlin because of the way he talks and his expressive little wrinkled face (Gizmo isn't an option, though, although fitting and precious.) Ok, I think that's it.

I really dont' want to go another day without a name for him so please help! I picked up those clicker trainer things today at the pet store to start training him and I'm like, *click* ummmmmmmmmm. Even if you just tell me which of the above you feel fits him the best, i'd love to hear that, but am also open to new suggestions.

Thanks all!!!!

P.S. I say "desperate" because I had a similar problem naming the cat 3 years ago, and her name is still Kitty. I tried to come up with the perfect name for her for so long, it was too late. Now I say it's short for Kitrina so I don't feel like a dork. Don't let this happen to nameless pug! ;)

brendajos
06-06-2006, 02:23 AM
oooh look at those eyes! i woulda been gone as soon as i saw him too. I think Malabrigo is always a perfect name! :thumbsup:

Have you asked him what he likes yet? i think given enough time animals tell us what they like (yarn does that too btw! :D )

Jan in CA
06-06-2006, 02:26 AM
He looks like a Winston to me! Maybe Winston Puggle!

(he looks a little like Churchill!)
:roflhard: :roflhard:

brendajos
06-06-2006, 02:28 AM
grrrrrrrrrrooooooooannnnnnnnn! :rofling:

what was the first yarn that he ate?

boyforpele13
06-06-2006, 02:41 AM
well, you see, i had so many possible names for him, he stopped being involved in that conversation on day 1. i ask him all the time what his name is, but either i'm not listening or he's not telling me... you know, i considered malabrigo for a moment after your message, but i had to look it up... and the best definition i can come up with is bad/evil warmth, abrigo meaning either warm clothes, overcoat, to protect or shelter... i don't know of any other meanings for mal that aren't bad.

the first yarn he got his big mouth around was that discontinued french stuff... olive alpaca.... i can't remember the name of it right now, maybe Welcomme? Yes, I think that's it... something like that... Really, that might not have been the first. I have a very large pottery bowl on my coffee table filled with yarn for display (and had just rearranged and made it pretty again for the pug rescue people's visit) and he lept from the floor smack into the middle of the bowl and just started grabbing stuff. That's the one he ran away with though...

Ingrid, you are too funny! We can add Winston to the list, I kinda like that one too!

boyforpele13
06-06-2006, 02:42 AM
p.s. one of my LYS is bringing in the malabrigo line!!! YAY!

Claire06
06-06-2006, 03:07 AM
Well I think he looks like a Henry. Or maybe a Toby? Or Tovi now I think about it. Hmmm, now I don't know either!

We called our kitten (who's now 1 year) Tala - which fitted perfectly because now she's Tala the tortiseshell tornado terror!

mulene
06-06-2006, 04:04 AM
I like Dexter a very very lot, but Henry Higgins would be funny. If he was a girl I'd say *bingo* name him Olive =P

We have a soap here called Eastenders, a woman who was on it years ago had a Pug and he was called Willie. She used to talk about her little willie :rollseyes: and say "where's my willie" :shock: not that I'm suggesting you use Willie as a name =P

CateKnits
06-06-2006, 05:53 AM
I like Dexter, too.

KellyK
06-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Henry (mom's suggestion) would be really cute because then if I adopted him he'd be Henry Higgins.

I like HIGGINS! Its elegant...unusual..... and appropriate for a pug. Especially if he ever finds an occasion to wear a tuxedo!

Also, Wellington, Arthur, Conrad, Newman or Steve.

Ingrid
06-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Jan gave you the Winston. ;) I looked at him and thought Kurt. Why? Beats me!

kitkat
06-06-2006, 08:25 AM
He is looking like a Spike or a Butch to me. A funny little tough guy. I love pugs.

Old Knitter
06-06-2006, 08:31 AM
I'll bet he'll come if you call him Edgar.

Holly

candicane
06-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Here Cooper! (Did it work?)

candice

cookworm
06-06-2006, 09:36 AM
If you do name him "Henry Higgins", you have to call him "'enry 'iggins"! ;) (one of my fave old movies--I want to be Audrey Hepburn when I "grow up"!)

sara_jayne
06-06-2006, 09:56 AM
I vote for "Henry" too! :) With your last name, Higgins, it makes it perfect! Of course when I look at him I just want to call him "Bub", but that can always be a knick name!

boyforpele13
06-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Jan gave you the Winston. Wink I looked at him and thought Kurt. Why? Beats me!

:oops: sorry Jan! Thank you!

I vote for "Henry" too! With your last name, Higgins, it makes it perfect! Of course when I look at him I just want to call him "Bub", but that can always be a knick name!

Funny you say that, because yesterday I "decided" (yeah right) to name him Bubeleh.

EEK! I love Cooper and Edgar too.... and Conrad... and Wellington. poop!

the Henry Higgins really would be too cute, but I've just never been fond of the name Henry... It is a favorite movie of my mom and mine, I remember her "making" me watch it when I was a little boy and I just loved it so, and I've probably seen it at least 20 times since then.... I would like to some day grow up to be as thin as Audrey Hepburn.... ;)

ACK! he really isn't responding when i'm testing out these names (typical pug) so I need to pick one and do the clicker training to teach it to him.... this is so freakin hard!!!!

dustinac
06-06-2006, 10:32 AM
I am the worse person to ask for a name LOL my poor cat's name is Gideon Gus :rofling: but when I saw him I thought of Herbert... :blush: I like Henry and Bub.. he is so cute!!

sara_jayne
06-06-2006, 10:45 AM
:oops: We read through a book of dog names until we found one we liked. Of course, we stared with Ss because we knew we wanted an S name and then we found the name Skeeter and it clicked (but no one treated us :?? ) ;) So, now, my proud (and silly) little family consists of: Sara, Shane, Sparky & Skeeter!

Good luck! I know this is hard! (I still vote for Henry though - it is a regal name and great for a little "snot" of a pug! :) )

candicane
06-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Ohhhh, how about Rowan?

Candice

Jeremy
06-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Sure looks like a Ralph to me. If you're into Jewish names how about Calev?

boyforpele13
06-06-2006, 11:59 AM
candice, i love Rowan! i was thinking that one after bren mentioned malabrigo, but didn't want to add to the (growing) list. it's a lovely irish name and i think it's great. we will officially add it since you mentioned it. :-D thanks!

jeremy, i did have Caleb/Kaleb on the original list (started with like 40 names before this post) but it was sifted out... i still like it though and i like the meaning too. ralph is a good one, and i could call him ralphie. you'll poke your eye out! ;) god, i love that movie. guilty pleasure there.

Sara
06-06-2006, 12:15 PM
"Ralphie!!!!!" :roflhard: That is one of the best movies ever made.

When I was growing up, we had an elderly neighbor named Waldo who always had sort of a serious look on his face (which looked a lot like the pug!), but he was really fun and full of vinegar. A heck of a nice guy. My vote is for Waldo.

CarmenIbanez
06-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I love "Rowan".

But for some strange reason, when I looked at the pictures I immediately thought "Steve McQueen".

Jenelle
06-06-2006, 12:35 PM
I looked at the picture and thought Maximus or Max. But I do like Rowan too.

He is adorable though! :)

DianaM
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I love "Henry" too.

But still.....I looked at the picture and my first thought was: Leonard.

Then again, I do have a cat named Flea.

Jan in CA
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Jan gave you the Winston. Wink I looked at him and thought Kurt. Why? Beats me!

:oops: sorry Jan! Thank you!

:lol: No problem. Everytime I look at his photo I think Sir Winston Puggle. I swear he looks like he should have a pipe or cigar in his mouth. :rofling:

I'm also seeing Sherlock... ala Sherlock Holmes. Can't you see him in one of those hats?
:lol:

margie
06-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I thought of Homer, Howie (although I happen to know another dog with that name ;) ) or Monty.

boyforpele13
06-06-2006, 02:15 PM
ok, I :heart: Sir Winston Puggle, more the more I think about it, but I'm testing it out and I don't know how much I love saying Winston... :( I am so difficult!!!! i really like the sir, though, and i still kinda like henry and that's been popular with everyone. What about Sir Henry Winston Pugalicious Bouvier Monsoon Stone Higgins, and we'll call him Henry for short.... I think it has a ring...

sara_jayne
06-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Sir Henry Winston Pugalicious Bouvier Monsoon Stone Higgins

I think it is PERFECT! ;)

kitkat
06-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Here Cooper! (Did it work?)

candice

Well, MY dog would come! Especially if you had yumyums!

knitwit
06-06-2006, 08:51 PM
How about a favorite TV show or movie character name?
I looked at his pic and immediately thought he looked like his name should be Jack....

Let us know what you decide!

Jackie M.
06-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Pugsley

brendajos
06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
you COULD always name him Pele! ;)

boyforpele13
06-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Brendajos, I was thinking that while walking him this evening! Although my name isn't in reference to the soccer player, he kicks like ridiculous everytime he tinkles and so I was like, oh, pele! but the other name is sticking and i love it. Sir Henry Winston Pugalicious Bouvier Monsoon Stone Higgins (Henry for short ;)) Thank you all so much for your help! I'm so happy he has a name!!!!

sara_jayne
06-06-2006, 09:56 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

06-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Congratulations mom :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mulene
06-07-2006, 04:48 AM
:cheering: for 'Enery 'Iggins! =D That is also one of my fave movies :happydance:

KellyK
06-07-2006, 08:58 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
06-07-2006, 11:04 AM
How about Paolo? :lol:

rebecca
06-07-2006, 01:29 PM
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: He's so cute....and has a great name to match ;) Although.....he looks like Marty Feldman (http://www.worth1000.com/entries/165500/165724SxBW_w.gif) ;)