PDA

View Full Version : What is the softest nonsynthetic yarn you ever knitted with?

skNYC
06-07-2006, 01:42 PM
I want some recommandations. Thanks in advance.

Julie
06-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Malabrigo :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: hands down.

sara_jayne
06-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Yea, what Julie said!
:inlove: :inlove:

brendajos
06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
me three!

gardenmommy
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Is it true though that softness is directly proportional to pilliness later on, as in the softer the yarn, more it pills? Pilliferation? :thinking:

brendajos
06-07-2006, 04:37 PM
ya know i had a pair of booties that were floating around at the bottom of my bag for more than six months waiting to be sewn together. they were done with the malabrigo and i never noticed any pilling on them.

i generally wouldn't vouch for the safety of just about anything that spends time in a bag of mine cuz i throw everything in there (sodas, lunches, scissors, pretty much anything) and they came through with flying colors. that doesn't mean they WOULDN"T pill of course but they didn't through that abuse.

i also wouldn't consider WOTA to be soft at all and Amy's sweater got very pilly after being worn pretty briefly. :crying:

sooooooooo....i don't have an answer but there is what i know to be true :D

yeah the booties STILL aren't sewn together...but they aren't in the bag anymore either... :rofling:

Ingrid
06-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I think that out-of-control 'pillerfication' is caused by yarn that's spun using shorter fibers--which makes it a lesser-quality yarn, which is probably why WOTA is so inexpensive. It's probably best used for felting. All wool will pill to some degree, especially early on. I believe it's the nature of the beast. Softer yarn is probably more prone to pilling where there is a lot of friction--almost like felting--under the arms or on the fore arms. Those can be shaved off.

IrishBaby
06-07-2006, 05:05 PM
The Galenas Merino we carry in our store is quite possibly the softest I've ever felt, and I knit with Malabrigo quite a bit before discovering it.

Merino wool is a short staple wool. It is naturally more pilly than, say, Shetland wool. But it is also considerably softer.

Lesser quality wools like WOTA are essentially spun with the dregs of the wool -- wool that wouldn't be a high enough quality to be in a more premium brand.

So, generally, ultra soft yarns are more pilly than more hardy breeds. But rougher yarns (like Cascade 220, WOTA) do not necessarily mean longer wearing.

ecb
06-07-2006, 08:47 PM
I got some Irish Baby
its SO amzingly Soft

ecb

IrishBaby
06-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Oh, I'm glad you like it! :) :)

Shandeh
06-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Well, I'm also a spinner, and I've felt lots of different fibers. Merino wool is VERY soft, so any yarn that has merino in it will tend to be soft.

Other than wool, alpaca is super soft, and of course angora. Qiviut is supposed to be too, but I've never been fortunate enough to touch any.

I've spun some blue and red merino, and they turned out heavenly.

I love the Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk, but it's not wool. I would call it butter. :D

Ingrid
06-07-2006, 10:38 PM
:lol: buttah. . . .

I love merino, as well, and for non-wool alpaaaaaca is graaaaand.

Angelia
06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm loving malabrigo right now--it's like knitting with a silky cloud!! I'll have to try that Galenas Merino, though. If it's softer than malabrigo, I think I'll melt.

Qiviut. :inlove: I really want to touch some, though I'm not sure I can afford even that. Has anyone here fondled any?

pillerfication :rofling:

skNYC
06-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone!

I'm loving malabrigo right now--it's like knitting with a silky cloud!! I'll have to try that Galenas Merino, though. If it's softer than malabrigo, I think I'll melt.
pillerfication :rofling:
silky cloud is what I want to feel ! Do try that Galenas Merino and let me know how it feels.

I am currently working on a Debbi Bliss cashmerino and it's soft and washable. I want to know what else top that.

fluffybunny
06-08-2006, 11:06 AM
No question, it was my own handspun English Angora.
I have German angoras too. I spin for luxurious softness, so it was soft, even for English. Plus the doe in question had the silkiest coat I've ever felt on an angora, even a Satin.

brendajos
06-08-2006, 11:24 AM
ya know when i saw your screen name it reminded me of some bunny fur i bought to knit with and you are right...it was way softer than the malabrigo even!

Ellen Edwards
06-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Such an unfair thread!! :shock: :shock:

Everytime I hear ya'll talking about a new and softer yarn, I want to order some right then! You --you--YARN ENABLERS!!!!!

:twisted: :twisted:

kitkat
06-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Malabrigo - ah yumminess!

skNYC
06-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Why is cashmere so expensive but not being mentioned here?

Julie
06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
The thread title said "wool yarn" so I assumed you meant yarn that was 100% wool.

If that's not what you meant...then I'd change my answer to Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk...now that's some soooooft yarn. It's amazing! :inlove:

skNYC
06-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Okay, I change my subject line then. ;)

sara_jayne
06-08-2006, 03:03 PM
I too only thought you wanted 100% wool yarn!

I haven't knit with much, but the RYC Cashsoft 4 Ply (by Rowan) is delicious. It is a blend and as a little cashmere in there!

Here it is on Yarndex (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=1889)

Mama Bear
06-08-2006, 03:10 PM
The softest thing I have knit with was a 80% tencel 20% silk blend that I knit with a thin strand of cashmere added in. I couldn't keep my hands off it!

I also knit a square out of 100% tencel with a thin strand of cashmere with it and it was also VERY nice.

Question is.. are you talking soft like silk or soft like angora? I think the reason I liked the above so well is that it had some of both.

Mama Bear

skNYC
06-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Question is.. are you talking soft like silk or soft like angora? I think the reason I liked the above so well is that it had some of both.
Mama Bear

That's a good question. Isn't silk more for summer stuff?

Mama Bear
06-08-2006, 04:02 PM
I didn't necessarily mean silk :) Just more what quality of softness you were looking for.. that super soft drapes like silk kind of soft.. or fuzzy fluffy soft. :)

Mama Bear

skNYC
06-08-2006, 04:07 PM
I didn't necessarily mean silk :) Just more what quality of softness you were looking for.. that super soft drapes like silk kind of soft.. or fuzzy fluffy soft. :)

Mama Bear

I thought soft is soft, or maybe silk=slipery and angora=fuzzy is a feel of the texture?

Mama Bear
06-08-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't know :?? I just got to thinking when I was choosing the tencel/cashmere blend that it is SOFT, but more slide through your fingers ... oohhh soft, but not in the same way that some of the fluffier yarns are soft, although the cashmere gives it some of that.

Sort of like the difference between soft cotton batting and velvet or satin... Maybe I"m overthinking this :roflhard:

Mama Bear

Angelia
06-08-2006, 06:38 PM
:?? Wow, there are different kinds of soft...the slick, the squishy, the airy...I wasn't even thinking in those terms. Of course I was only thinking wool, but now that the category has opened up, wow! Soy silk can be pretty darn delicious...

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

kemp
06-08-2006, 07:21 PM
:?? Wow, there are different kinds of soft...the slick, the squishy, the airy...I wasn't even thinking in those terms. Of course I was only thinking wool, but now that the category has opened up, wow! Soy silk can be pretty darn delicious...

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

I totally agree...before I read these last coup fo posts...I though "well what kind of softness?" Angora is yummy. I have felt alpacas yarns that feel heavenly. Malbrigio wool is great and henry's attic has some very soft wool. I also have qiviut. One of the reasons it is so $$ and coveted is not only its softness, but it's durability. If you're looking for tactile experience only, I think I'd go with angora. Depending on the garment, any of the other stuff people have mentioned are soft and lovely.

ecb
06-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Oh Oh Oh
Not just WOOL
ok
Misti Baby Alpaca
Chunky
OMG it is SOOOOOO Soft

What about Frog Tree Merino Yarn

ecb

monzogary
06-08-2006, 09:57 PM
I must say that the one yarn I have used that I just loved working with and petting was Debbie Bliss 100% silk. I was always running my fingers over my knitting when I wasn't even knitting! So soft and silky :heart: .......mmmmmm yummy :inlove:

Carol_OH
06-09-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm knitting a scarf/shawl with knitpicks Andean Silk and I LOVE it!!!

BinkyKat
06-09-2006, 06:58 PM
the softest i've knit with (not just touched) would be Misti Alpaca, or alpaca in general. "Poor man's cashmere" i'm told...
I have fondled Malagrigo, and I agree it's soft, but I can't get past the vinegar smell, it can't be good when damp...not knocking it though... just saying "hmmm"

Angelia
06-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Vinegar? I've never smelled vinegar on mine.... :thinking: Do they use vinegar to set the dyes?

Shandeh
06-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Okay, now I just want to create waves by talking about a SYNTHETIC yarn I absolutely love to feel.

Muench Touch Me feels like heaven.

Angelia
06-11-2006, 08:12 AM
So does Microspun (deliciously soft)...but that softness hides an evil! :shock:

fluffybunny
06-27-2006, 01:17 PM
In addition to silkiness, fluffiness, and hi loft, I would add a critical factor in yarn is it's elasticity. It is what gives wool (and aryllic) ribs their extreme "body" and stretchiness. My softest wools/fibers aren't necessarily the best for ribs. But you can exploit that factor too. I knit the swatch on my bloghttp://angora-rabbits.blogspot.com/ out of cotton first, and then angora, because angora has little elasticity and would block out to show the rib pattern well, instead of scrunching in and forming a rib with a lot of body. This stitch isn't striking at all on regular elastic wool. So, there is a lot of drape to this sample. But something almost as soft in pure wool would have almost no drape, even at the same guage.
Donna