PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any Medical Transcriptionists out there???

06-07-2006, 08:02 PM
I've been tossing the idea around for a while now and my hubby thought I should ask on here if anyone does it for a living.

I get migraines on a weekly basis and its gotten progressivly worse and I thought it'd be easier to do something from home instead of having to worry about calling in sick 3 times a week.

So, here's what I'm curious about: What's the pay like? (I don't need exact numbers, just a ballpark) You know $10,000, $15,000 a year. Am I low-balling it? How do you even get started in it? I know you have to be certified or something but where do you get certified? How long is the schooling? Where do you go to even find a job? I never see any ads in the newspaper for MT's, strange, but true. :??

And most of all, do you like it?

I guess that's it for now, TIA for anything anyone posts. Its time to get my feet wet again. :)

DianaM
06-07-2006, 08:14 PM
:thinking: I'm not an MT, but I'm a CNA here in the US.

Do you have any previous experience in the health professions?
If not, I'd advice you start with a medical terminology class. Because there's many abreviations, acronyms and other odd phrases that you'll need to know well.

Aside from that, on how to find info for learning the trade itself, you could drop by a healthcare clinic (maybe even your own family healthcare facility) and ask the staff about it.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

06-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Aside from going to the doctor all the time for my medical problems, nope, no experience in the medical field, but I have to start somewhere, right??? ;)

DianaM
06-07-2006, 08:28 PM
There ya go :thumbsup: :happydance: :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
06-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Here's a thread where this was talked about recently that might help.
Medical transcription (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11829&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=medical+transcriptionist&start=0)

Secksiebrat
06-07-2006, 09:48 PM
My MIL does this. She took her courses through http://www.pcdi.com/. The first set of lessons is completely based on medical terminology and stuff like that. The best thing is, it is done over the internet/at home and you do it at your own speed. I have helped her quite a bit (and actually could probably take the course myself and pass with flying colors).

I hope this helps!

~danielle~

Yvonne
06-08-2006, 07:01 AM
There are a bunch of us here who are MTs :D

Hands down, the best distance learning school for this is The Andrews School (www.andrewsschool.com).
The money can vary greatly so it's hard to say even a ballpark figure for you. If you work on production (paid by character or line rather than the hour) you will not make much at all at first, but you would soon be making good money.
There's a ton of info online, even if you just google MT jobs.
It's conceivable that you could do the schooling and be working within a year or so. However, staring at the computer all day doesn't help the migraine problem very much....

06-08-2006, 12:43 PM
However, staring at the computer all day doesn't help the migraine problem very much....

Thanks for the info Yvonne. :D Thankfully I can work at a computer as long as I don't have fluoressent lights on above me. And I don't!!

Karen CA
06-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Just wanted to say I have been a self-employed MT for the last two years and love it, but have been in the field for about 20 years now, both in hospitals and doctor's office. If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me.

Karen