PDA

View Full Version : WIP - my summer sock knitting expedition

knitqueen
06-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Okay, I have decided to make socks this summer. Lots of really fun socks. I am currently doing a basic ribbed striped sock, in grey and hot pink. It is not self-striping so I am switching yarns with random stripe widths and I will not do this again. It is such a pain. It totally disturbs my rhythm every few rows when I switch. I am weaving in (knitting in) the ends as I go so that part is not too bad.

I want to make Hedera (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATThedera.html) from knitty.com, as well as the mermaid sock (http://www.tradewindknits.com/cool_sock_inside.html) from 'Cool Socks Warm Feet' by Lucy Neatby. I have enough sock yarn for at least 3 more pairs than that so it should keep me busy a while. I'm not that fast at socks so I can see this taking me through the summer. Perfect summer vacation knitting. :D

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Jan in CA
06-08-2006, 12:35 PM
It looks great! Kudos to your for switching colors that often! :shock:

AnreeAce
06-08-2006, 12:43 PM
:roflhard:
"You are a lucky duck!"
Sorry, that just killed me. He's right though, isn't he?

Good luck.

mulene
06-08-2006, 12:54 PM
loving the hot pink! =D

Shandeh
06-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Socks are fun to knit. Plus, they make a great conversation starter among friends.

sara_jayne
06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Looks great so far, you lucky duck! ;)

Amber
06-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Socks are so fun -- sounds like a great summer plan to me. I love your pink and grey sock!!

Julie
06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
lucky duck :inlove:

My MIL made the mermaid socks for my daughters...well, she's on the 2nd pair now...they're very cute! :thumbsup:

Debbie
06-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Your gray and pink is so pretty together! I love the other colors, too!

knitqueen
06-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Sock #1 is complete!! I am only called it a half FO though because of the second sock yet to come. Should only take another few days. It turned out really great. I tried a different toe method this time, I'd like to share it here hoping it will help someone out. I never liked how a standard sock toe with a grafted end would always turn out kind square-ish. Then I read about a rounded toe method in a book I have from the library. It worked GREAT. You start the toe shaping 1.5" before the desired finished length.

K4, K2tog around [it doesn't matter if it doesn't work out totally evenly]
Knit 4 rounds even
K3, K2tog around
Knit 3 rounds even
K2, K2tog around
Knit 2 rounds even
K1, K2tog around
K1 round even
K2tog around
Cut yarn and thread through remaining stitches (in the case of the sock I'm showing you here, there were 10 stitches left after shaping) twice for extra reinforcement, pull tight and weave in end on inside of sock. :XX:

So, here's the picture of the finished sock! :cheering:

robynbird
06-09-2006, 10:31 AM
VERY Nice! I like the rounded toe. I have a lot of sock yarn and plan to start making them now that I'm done with my niece's blanket.

Shandeh
06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Wonderful! And fast too!

horve1
06-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Great sock! The toe idea is terrific - I'm going to use it on my next pair. (Can't on this one, 'cause one is done.) Thanks for sharing!

kemp
06-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Cool! I love the pink and grey together.

rebecca
06-09-2006, 11:43 AM
The pink and gray look great together!!!
I want to do some striped socks using the fibonacci (http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/articles/fibonacci_seq.shtml) method..I think they would be cool, a pain...but cool ;)
Is that the star toe? Is it swirly looking? I like that toe, too ;)

Jan in CA
06-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Nice sock!!!

knitqueen
06-09-2006, 03:56 PM
The pink and gray look great together!!!
I want to do some striped socks using the fibonacci (http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/articles/fibonacci_seq.shtml) method..I think they would be cool, a pain...but cool ;)
Is that the star toe? Is it swirly looking? I like that toe, too ;)

No, it's not really swirly looking. The decreases come pretty much in a straight line to the tip of the toe. Is that a star toe?? :lol: I dunno, it looks nice whatever it is and I much prefer it to the standard grafted toe.

Thanks everyone for the nice words. I'm about to cast on for the second sock.

:XX:

knitqueen
06-27-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm trying to design a lacy ankle sock. Grumperina's Blog (http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2006/06/who_the_hell_ma.htm) inspired me. I tried to find a similar stitch pattern but couldn't so I'm doing something different in that regards. BUT I'm most excited because I'm doing a short row heel for the first time using Japanese Short Rows (http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2005/04/japanese_short_.html). It uses safety pins to mark the turning points. Here's what it looks like!

:XX:

knitqueen
06-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Grrrrr....I screwed it up already :doh: That's what I get for not following directions. It was so bad I didn't know how to fix it so the heel will be started from scratch again.........tomorrow. :rollseyes:

rebecca
06-27-2006, 09:58 AM
:( Sorry about the short row woes...happens with all of us!

whoknits
06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
dOES ANYONE HAVE PATTERNS FOR CHRISTMAS squares or know where I could find them ??
Thankyou for any help ! :??

Cristy
06-27-2006, 07:42 PM
That looks great! I have a pair in progress and several other pair of socks on my list as Christmas gifts!

knitqueen
06-28-2006, 01:05 AM
I got through the heel (finally!) on the green ankle sock. It took SO much concentration, I was so scared to screw up, but I did it! The result is good, but perhaps a bit pointy on the heel. Since I'm kind of making this pattern up as I go along, I didn't really know how many stitches to reserve for the short row heel (I've read different things...some say to use 60% of total stitches, some say to use half...). My total stitch count is 55sts and I used 30sts for the heel. It would have been good to use a few more so I could get enough length for the heel and wind up not quite so pointy. Ah well, live and learn, and finally short row heels make a bit of sense to me!

knitqueen
07-21-2006, 11:00 PM
What's with me and feeling uninspired this summer?? :| I've got all this sock yarn and now, I don't want to make socks. Well, I do, but I get so stuck on the second sock EVERY TIME. But now I found this link for 2 socks at a time on 1 circ (magic loop) and I want to try it. I need to get out of this funk, socks are PERFECT summer holiday knitting!

Wish me luck!! :D

ebrperk
07-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Hang in there. I know you can continue on your summer sock expedition.
:thumbsup:

Denise in Michigan
07-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Perfect summer vacation knitting. :D

Socks really are the perfect vacation knitting! They're small enough to go everywhere with you, can be put down and picked up at any point, and are great ice breakers with people you don't know!

I recently spent a couple of weeks sock knitting through Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and I'll treasure the memories of socks knit by waterfalls, during a small town Fourth of July parade, and on the cozy front porch of a bed and breakfast overlooking Lake Independence. These experiences make each of these socks extra special!

knitqueen
08-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Okay, I FINALLY finished a whole PAIR of socks!!!!! :cheering: This is the garter rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks (LOVE that book!!), using Bernat Sox yarn. It took just over 1 ball of yarn to complete this pair.

Amber
08-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Very pretty!!

kemp
08-14-2006, 05:14 PM
yay! They look great.

rebecca
08-14-2006, 06:20 PM
I love them!!! Love, love the color :cheering:

Ellen Edwards
08-16-2006, 03:52 PM
WOW---love that sock and those colors, KQ!! I haven't tried the striping yet---kinda scares me!! :teehee:

KnittyKitty
08-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Those socks are beautiful! :cheering:

knitqueen
11-16-2006, 12:40 AM
It's far from summer, but I finally finished this pair of socks that I started way back in August. It's a small basketweave pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. Size 2 needle and Bernat Sox in the colour Icy Hot.

SandraEllen
11-16-2006, 09:18 AM
ooooh.... pretty.

Mama Bear
11-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Love all the socks!!! Great job.

Mama Beaer

nonny2t
11-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Very cool sock and great colors!