PDA

View Full Version : WIP Daffodil Afghan

nadja la claire
06-09-2006, 03:10 PM
I've only been a member for about a week, and this is my first posting, but I've been a fan since my daughter-in-law told me about KH last spring when I was just learning to knit. After my husband was diagnosed with cancer last summer it was knitting that kept me sane and thanks to KH I think I've gotten pretty good. Just about everything I know I learned on this site.

I started this afghan I guess around the 2nd week of May and I plan to finish it off this weekend, I'd have been done sooner but sometimes I just had to put it down and work on something else. I'm making it for a friend who lives in Paris but is coming home to Philly next week. The pattern was given to me by a friend but I don't know what book it came from. I used Caron Simply Soft Brites Lemonade and size 9 circular needles. I will post the pattern in the near future.

AnreeAce
06-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Woweeeee! That's beautiful! Such even stitches and such a lovely pattern.

Way to to. That's one lucky friend you've got.

newamy
06-09-2006, 03:15 PM
That is lovely. I'm really impressed and inspired that in a year you've learned to knit so well, and to complete a project in a month! I'm still a new knitter and such large projects seem over whelming to me just yet.

So sorry about your husband.

Amy

kayeknit
06-09-2006, 03:20 PM
So sorry about your husband. I hope he is getting better. The afghan is absolutely beautiful! And you sure are lightning fast! I can't imagine knitting an afghan in just one month! :shock:

sara_jayne
06-09-2006, 03:30 PM
The afghan is stunning!

Best wishes for your husband & family! :heart:

rebecca
06-09-2006, 04:15 PM
:D It's breath-taking :thumbsup: I do so hope that your husband is doing better.
Welcome to the forum :D

kemp
06-09-2006, 04:33 PM
So pretty! Good thoughts for you DH headed your way :)

nadja la claire
06-09-2006, 04:50 PM
WOW!!! Thank you all for your very kind words!!! I owe my speed to sheer compultion I knit all the time because it's cheaper and heathier than smoking. After all I started knitting so I could quit and I've been smoke-free for 9 months.
As for my husband, after six week of painful radiation and chemo, he came out the other side cancer-free and although he is still recovering (it'll take a while) he's getting stronger all the time. Thanks again :heart:

Nadja

craftymom
06-09-2006, 04:53 PM
That is gorgeous. I'm glad that you have good news about your husband.

SimplyKaar
06-10-2006, 05:29 AM
So glad to hear your husband is doing better and is cancerfree. that is worthy of a little celebration :balloons:
I've seen people around me go through cancer threatments and they are havoc-y (I'm sure that's not a word actually...) on the body. I hope he'll feel strong and better again soon :)

that afghan IS gorgeous :inlove: I wish I had the time right now to make such large items but I'm afraid anything bigger than a toddlers sweater or a pair of socks will turn into this year long ongoing project.

But, having said that, I have been wanting to make a bedspread for a while now and I'm always on the look for a nice pattern so I will know what I want by the time I have time to make it and the money for yarn :)
This looks like something that I'd love to have on my bed so I'd love to see the pattern for it.

NAdja, sorry to hijack your thread for a bit but this sparked a question to the mods about posting patterns: are you allowed to just put a pattern on here like that, or what are the rules concerning patterns?

Knitting Nan
06-10-2006, 06:25 AM
what a beautiful afghan, I love the color and the pattern.

cozy
06-10-2006, 08:16 AM
It's lovely!!

I'm also glad your DH is doing better!

Secksiebrat
06-10-2006, 09:57 AM
The pattern is beautiful! I'm sure your friend is going to love it. Sorry to hear about your husband. It is amazing how theraputical knitting can be!

~danielle~

Angelia
06-10-2006, 10:05 AM
That is beautiful! Your stitchwork is gorgeous! :inlove: :inlove:

Amber
06-10-2006, 10:11 AM
The color and the beautiful stitch pattern do make me think of daffodils. It's just gorgeous!

wends
06-10-2006, 01:40 PM
That is gorgeous!! The colour and the stitch are so pretty. Glad to hear your husband is doing well.

nadja la claire
06-10-2006, 05:03 PM
So glad to hear your husband is doing better and is cancerfree. that is worthy of a little celebration :balloons:
I've seen people around me go through cancer threatments and they are havoc-y (I'm sure that's not a word actually...) on the body. I hope he'll feel strong and better again soon :)

that afghan IS gorgeous :inlove: I wish I had the time right now to make such large items but I'm afraid anything bigger than a toddlers sweater or a pair of socks will turn into this year long ongoing project.

But, having said that, I have been wanting to make a bedspread for a while now and I'm always on the look for a nice pattern so I will know what I want by the time I have time to make it and the money for yarn :)
This looks like something that I'd love to have on my bed so I'd love to see the pattern for it.

NAdja, sorry to hijack your thread for a bit but this sparked a question to the mods about posting patterns: are you allowed to just put a pattern on here like that, or what are the rules concerning patterns?

I didn't even think about that and to be quite honest I don't know but perhaps I can find a way to post it on the pattern forum. I don't have a web page so I don't know where else I could post it. Oh and sorry didn't respond sooner but there was a really good yarn sale at my A.C. Moore and I just had to go.

Nadja

SimplyKaar
06-10-2006, 05:22 PM
I didn't even think about that and to be quite honest I don't know but perhaps I can find a way to post it on the pattern forum. I don't have a web page so I don't know where else I could post it. Oh and sorry didn't respond sooner but there was a really good yarn sale at my A.C. Moore and I just had to go.

Nadja

Oh, I'm sure it won't be a problem getting it posted on this forum and yes, I guess the pattern section would be the best place for it. And like I said: I'm hoping that you can post it because I think it's a lovely pattern! :)

I was just wondering how it would be with copyright and such: if it's a pattern that is copyrighted (is that a word??), you may not be allowed to just spread it out to the rest of us without asking the authors permission.

But I'm not American and I don't live in the USA so I have no clue what the regulations are on these sort of things and if they would also apply to the internet. If it can be found online, I think it's not a problem but since you said it was a pattern given to you, these questions popped in my mind.
And consequently out of my fingers too :blush:

SimplyKaar
06-10-2006, 05:32 PM
ohh and did you find any good yarn to add to your stash??

nadja la claire
06-10-2006, 05:37 PM
:oops: Oh my gosh your right. My knitting buddy copied it from a book so it probably is copywrited (I believe that is a word). I'll have to try to get the name of the book from her. Thanks and your English is great with barely an accent.

Nadja

Shandeh
06-10-2006, 11:50 PM
You have handled yourself VERY well. The color you've chosen for the afghan is so bright and cheery. I'm sure it has helped to keep your spirits up during this difficult time. My prayers are with you and your family. :pray:

nadja la claire
06-12-2006, 10:35 AM
ohh and did you find any good yarn to add to your stash??

Sorry, I didn't mean to scip over this post. :oops: I couldn't find the yarn I wanted. I did get some faux angora for a muff for my granddaughter, and some yarn for my very pair of socks that I'll probably start in a month or so. Oh but how socks, like sweaters, scare me.

Nadja

SimplyKaar
06-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Oh but how socks, like sweaters, scare me.
Nadja

I can't believe noone caught this by now!! :rollseyes:

Granted I've only done one sock-twice sofar but it's turning out to be fun to do and not difficult at all! Just start easy and then take it from there.
Silver's sock tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm) is a great place to start I think :thumbsup:

Don't fear, embrace! :cheering:

nadja la claire
06-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Thank you Kaaren. For both the encouragement and the tutorial. My daughter-in-law tells me that if I can make hats and muffs and my giant afghans then I should have no trouble doing socks and sweaters. I know that I just have to do what I do with everything else, just take a deep breath and jump in, because I really want to make these thigh high socks that I saw on Knity.com.

Thanks,

Nadja :XX:

SimplyKaar
06-15-2006, 12:04 PM
I know that I just have to do what I do with everything else, just take a deep breath and jump in....

exactly!! But that also is the hard bit, isn't it? :) I always find it a comfort to know htat you can't really "destroy" anything even when you're trying something totally new. Worst case scenario: you'll have to :frog: , cry a bit and start over ;)

by the way: I googled on the name "daffodil afghan" but unfortunately didn't find your pattern :verysad:

nadja la claire
06-15-2006, 12:23 PM
I had the same problem before my friend gave me a copy of the pattern. I've put in a priority one call to her, but I haven't heard back yet. She may be out of town. As soon as I get the name of the book I'll post it.

Nadja