PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever feel guilty for not finishing or working

gardenmommy
06-11-2006, 09:34 AM
on a certain project?

I have a baby blanket that I started, really my first project EVER, which I started not too long before my daughter was born in October 2005. I probably started it in either late August or early September 2005. It's a simple basketweave pattern, with two strands of Bernat Baby Coordinates held together. I'm about halfway done, but it just sits. And sits. And waits. I feel kind of bad about not getting it done, but by now, it's kind of a boring project. Although I guess it would be good for "mindless" knitting where you don't have to pay very close attention, like when riding in a car. Although I'm never the one riding, I'm always driving!

But I really would like to get it done! Maybe I can use that as a personal reward system, "OK, if I get X rows done or a pattern repeat (10 rows) done, I can knit on a different project."

But another thing too, I bet my gauge has changed over time as well, I think I knit a lot more loosely than I did when I first started. The top half may end up wider than the bottom half of the blanket!

Nimmie
06-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I feel guilty for starting a new project when another isn't done yet...

:oops:

Ingrid
06-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I don't feel guilty unless it's a project that I started for someone and I want to give as a gift. The rest are 'mine' and one of the nice things about knitting for myself is that I can do what I want. If a project sits too long, I come to the realization that it's never going to get any attention--that there are always bigger and better things to make--then it becomes abandoned and I either frog it or dump it, depending on the yarn.

A while back, I had a huge pile of started projects hanging over my head. I made a realistic decision about them and, boy, that was liberating!

Knitting Nan
06-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I don't feel guilty ever for not finishing one projsct before starting another, right now I have two projects on the go and I will probably finish the second one first but I know I will go back to the other one evenually. I like to have more htan one on the go because when I get tired of looking at one color I can switch over to the other one.

robynbird
06-11-2006, 10:08 AM
YES!!! I get bored with patterns for blankets rather easily. My niece's that I just finished got quite boring but I was determined to finish it. I rewarded myself with Cat Bordhi's book on knitting socks on 2 circulars and an order of addi's. :) I have a list of projects I need to do, so I'm trying to be more diligent about finishing what I started. It's a good lesson for my daughter too since she is a starter but not a finisher.

rebecca
06-11-2006, 10:19 AM
That's why I'm the monogamous knitter ;) But, I have found that when I'm knitting something that I don't enjoy, I will :frog: ...unless it's something that someone has asked for; if it's a gift, but I haven't been asked to make this specific project..and I'm not enjoying knitting it, I will frog it in a minute and start knitting something I will have fun knitting...LOL, that's why I knit so many socks..my fave thing to knit ;)

margie
06-11-2006, 10:22 AM
I feel bad if I don't finish something. I don't like to have more than one project going at a time, for this reason. I started a cardigan.............a while ago. I finished the back and one side of the front, and have the other side about halfway done. Then I discovered socks. The cardigan has been sitting for months now, and I still feel bad about it- but not bad enough to pull it out!! I figure it isn't going anywhere, and right now I'm enjoying the socks so much. One day, I'll be bored of size 1 dpns, and the size 6 needles that the cardigan is being worked on will seem HUGE!! :D

Julie
06-11-2006, 10:41 AM
I have two projects that have been hanging ove my head for a long time, and though I do feel bad about them, I don't feel bad enough to finish them. ;)

With one of them (Cozy) I should hve known, because I don't *do* blankets or wraps or anything else large and monotonous. But I decided to make Cozy for DH's grandmother...and of course got halfway through before I was so bored with it that I thought I was going to lose my mind. It was intended for last Christmas....now I'm thinking maybe this Christmas..... :rollseyes:

Jenelle
06-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I feel guilty a lot. I like to make short and simple projects, like a baby hat or a dishcloth. I started something I shouldn't have, which was a coca cola blanket for my mom's best friend. It was supposed to be done on her birthday(Which was... I believe march 20th?).

I need to get a move on with most of my WIP's, I have too many of them :(

Chel
06-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I never feel guilty for not finishing a project. (Thats what my mother is for) :-

I intentionally keep several projects OTN's at a time. As I get bored with a color, pattern or yarn I just change to a different project. I constantly rove between 3 or 4.

truF
06-11-2006, 02:49 PM
I am a new knitter. I started some simple projects on some cheap yarn, which I didn't finish because I discovered the pleasures of working with not-so-cheap yarn. The next phase was to start simple projects using more interesting yarn, but I soon discovered patterns, cables, etc. So I've got some unfinished projects that I outgrew. I plan to tear out the boring projects to see if I can reuse the yarn. I'll probably give the cheap yarn to the local thrift store. (Just a ball here, a ball there. Not enough to be interesting to this group.)

Guilty? A little. But I'm giving myself a break since I'm a beginner. Ask me this question in another year when I've run out of excuses! :oops:

Trudie

Celine
06-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I usually only have two projects at a time on the needles. That way I really do finish them and then I feel free to start a new one. :D

The only thing I was a little disappointed in frogging was the "Best Friend's Jacket" from Sally Melville's book. I stareted it then worked on it daily for a about two weeks. But I eventually got bored with it and frogged it. I still have hopes of knitting myself a sweater with the yarn and in fact I just today bought a book from Joanns with a sweater in it that I plan to start with that same yarn :XX: .

But I agree...it's my knitting and if I want to change my mind and not finish something its okay. There are no knit police around. :roflhard:

Debbie
06-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I pretty much decided several years ago that feeling guilty a waste of energy. ( I feel this way about being angry, too)

So, as far as knitting goes ... I am with Ingrid ... If it has been sitting around a while I either frog it or pitch it.

Other things in life ... I try very very hard to only say yes to things that I know I can be responsible to carry through OR make sure that just an OK job will do.

Don't tell my college son this ... but most things I decide what letter grade it is worth for the effort. A's ... all out effort C's (like cleaning the bathroom when company is not coming) average is OK ... D's ... (stuffing things in the closet instead of putting them where they belong when company is coming) just make it look like it is done

If a C knitting project even gets close to a D it gets frogged ... then it is done! Fretting takes the joy out of so many things in life.

Nikki
06-11-2006, 06:17 PM
it gets frogged ... then it is done!

Oh, I so like that! I'm going to use and reuse that.
Nikki

Cristy
06-11-2006, 06:22 PM
OMGoodness...I suffer from this problem--I started a shawl for my grandmother in March that I never finished...it was an awful pattern that I had to bribe myself to work on and even then I found that short of a shopping spree....nothing was a big enough reward. I finally made the decision to pull the needles out--I haven't frogged yet but I know it's inevitable. I'm going to make grandma a shawl from a different pattern (likely one with big needles so I can finish it off quickly!!). I also started socks for my mom for mother's day but never finished them. I bought her a gift and have decided that perhaps the socks will become a christmas gift.

cozy
06-12-2006, 08:30 AM
So far, I only have 1 UFO (& I do feel sorta bad about it). Otherwise, I finish or frog & try not to have regrets if I frog. I really need to frog the UFO I have--it's been sitting around for a year now. I'm trying to remedy this by only having a few WIPs at a time (right now, I'm down to 2 & I like that). Also, I've become much more choosy about projects; if I don't love it, I won't start it.

Pixywhispers
06-12-2006, 10:51 AM
GM, How big is it?

Is it big enough to cover her in her car seat? I was given a "half a baby blanket". And its perfect for the car seat!

I used to feel guilty, but realized knitting is the fun part of my life, I have enough guilt raising children, heh. I do have guilt twinges every now and then over the size of my stash, however

skNYC
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Hm, I am the type of person who HAS to finish with whatever I started. The only guilt I might have is that I spent too much money within a short time period. Then again, I will have to control myself to spread out my shopping spree :roflhard: