PDA

View Full Version : My Very First FO: Dishcloth

mornnen
06-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Well, after about two weeks of knitting random patterns out of my "teach yourself to knit visually" book, my mom (bless her heart) suggested I actually knit a project.
And even though I never thought I would knit one, I ended up knitting a dishcloth. I'm experiencing no small amount of cognitive dissonance over this, as no more than a week ago, I had commented to Mom "why would anyone want to knit a dishcloth?" Of course, I know now what I didn't know then-- a good small project for practice, learning about keeping track of rows and stitches, and different patterns.

There are two glaring errors: in one row, I ended up with an extra stitch put in by the knitting gnome. To take care of that problem, I knit two stitches together, which threw the size of the diamond pattern off in one section. The second error was that I didn't end by putting four rows of garter stitch on before binding off. After binding off, I saw the part about ending in garter stitch. :oops:

So here it is. I have yet to block it, and the stockinette part of the diamond pattern likes to puff up--will blocking help that? and speaking of which, how do I block?

Pattern details: Raised diamonds from Leisure Arts Nifty Knit Dishcloths. I used a 100% cotton in a generic blue color made by Lily's Sugar and Cream, Size 7 Needles.

Ingrid
06-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Congratulations on your first real project! Do you plan on using it? If so, don't bother to try to block it. You could wet it and let it dry straight and true, but it won't really retain that shape after wetting and using it again.

Kudos to you for continuing to knit and not getting caught up in making it perfect! That is a mistake many new knitters make, and all it leads to is a lot of frustration. The experience is much more useful in the long run.

rebecca
06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
:D great job on your 1st FO...WTG :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: You will use that cloth for years ;)

spooky
06-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Awsome !!!! My 1st project was a potholder !!!! You'll love it forever ! I keep my potholder ontop of my computer tower because I worked so hard on it I don't want to use it lol.

mulene
06-14-2006, 08:39 PM
:cheering: :cheering: grats on first project =D I love the pattern you've used :XX:

Rennagayle
06-14-2006, 08:57 PM
I assure you, the mistakes are only glaringly obvious to you. Congratulations on finishing your first project! :cheering:

Freyja
06-14-2006, 09:12 PM
:XX: :XX: :XX: Watch out, this is very addictive.
For some blocking (http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/05/block_me_amadeus_1.html) info. and other knitting stuff.
And don't forget to check out Amy's videos, they are Grrrrrreat.

Tammy6071
06-14-2006, 09:41 PM
I think you did an awesome job on your first real project! I made this exact same dishcloth and I absolutely love it! I use it all the time!!

Amber
06-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Great job! :thumbsup:

jamadian75
06-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Good for you!! Love the color, and it looks nice and soft.
Very smart to knit something practical first too - you'll be truly hooked in no time!

Mer
06-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Great job! Congrats on your first FO. :D

horve1
06-19-2006, 07:38 AM
:thumbsup: I'm impressed with the stitch pattern you used on a FIRST project! Wow! Very nicely done. And I agree - no one else would see your "errors" if you didn't point them out.

AnreeAce
06-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Kudos to you for continuing to knit and not getting caught up in making it perfect! That is a mistake many new knitters make, and all it leads to is a lot of frustration. The experience is much more useful in the long run.

That is hands down the best advice you can get! (Since it came from Ingrid, that's par for the course)

I remember reading the same thing when I was midway through my first project and contemplating frogging back about 60 rows to fix a mistake.

Your dishcloth looks great. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!