PDA

View Full Version : New, new...what to do...

Wuzza
06-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Hullo! I taught myself how to knit earlier this year mostly from this website. It's really a wonderful electronic place. My mom suggested that i try knitting as a stress relief (and it helped wonderfully during final exams this year) but i haven't done anything really complicated. Basically i would put my headphones on and knit for an hour or so each day in the really mindless, all knit stitch pattern.

So now i have several long strips of knitted stuff that i don't really know what to do with. I was just knitting for the therepy value, not for an end product. All of my strips are about the same width but with slightly varying legnths (though all around 4 feet). I guess i could have a couple of really boring scarves but now that i have more free time i want to make something out of them. Do you think it would be possible (i.e. easy for a beginner) to sew them together into a blanket sort of thing? The strips all vary in length by a few inches so i don't know what to do about that. Or is there something else i could do with them? Sorry about the rather long-winded post, but my house is being overrun with unfinished knitwear and i need some suggestions!

Ingrid
06-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Welcome!

You could take out your bind off and either make them shorter or knit more on to make them the same length and sew them together for a blanket. Or, even if they're boring, knit scarves are warm.

mulene
06-14-2006, 08:36 PM
:waving: welcome to KH =D

knitaddict
06-14-2006, 08:51 PM
You could try making a freeform patchwork type of afghan. Just fit the pieces together as though they were a puzzle. Some lengthwise, some sideways. Then you could knit pieces to fit into any gaps or empty spaces you may have. :)

Welcome to the board!!!! :cheering:

Wuzza
06-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the welcomes and the suggestions! I think i'll try to make a blanket but i've never actually sewn anything except for the odd renegade button or two. Is there a special trick to sewing together knit-stuffs or is it generally a "keep threading until they don't come apart" thing? (woefully inept at most crafty things :( )

rebecca
06-14-2006, 10:34 PM
:D Welcome :D
Have a look @ the mattress stitch video here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php) (toward bottom of page)...this should help with seaming the strips together...I agree with knitaddict...freeform blankie ;)

dustinac
06-15-2006, 07:59 AM
:cheering: Welcome to the forum and can't wait to see the free form blanket when you have finished!!!

Nikki
06-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Hi and welcome to KH! Knitting is great for the soul isn't it?
Nikki

cozy
06-15-2006, 08:29 AM
So glad you discovered the therapeutic value of knitting! You've already gotten some great suggestions, so I'll just say Welcome! :waving: