PDA

View Full Version : Have you all seen this???

newamy
06-16-2006, 10:59 PM
What do you expereinced knitters and needle buyers think of these? http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Needles_list.aspx?categories='4599'&searchType=Category&titleName=Sets

Do these have any unique features that other interchangable sets don't offer?

janelanespaintbrush
06-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Wow. When did they put those up? I was there earlier today and I swear they weren't there then. Is the shortest cable 24"?

newamy
06-16-2006, 11:24 PM
24 inches was the shortest except ont the non interchangable size 0-3 which were as short as 16 inches. I have one pair of 16" size 7's and would like 16" in 6 and 8 as well. On lots of theings a longer cable doesn't matter but hats and round dishcloths that take a larger needle size the shorter cable is handy.

geekgolightly
06-17-2006, 07:13 AM
i want to know how they knit. ive been considering buying an interchangable set and these look similar to addi's. if they knit like addi's what a dream set.

Celine
06-17-2006, 07:29 AM
I don't remember seeing them before. I recently bought the Denise set :inlove: and I just LOVE them. They are the only needles that I knit with now. :XX: :XX:

Quietheart
06-17-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm anxious to hear from some folks who've used it, it does look amazing.

Kath

dustinac
06-17-2006, 08:27 AM
I love my Denise set too.. I also have the boye set and they are nice but really right now all I use is my Denises.... I'd be interested to hear how these do too.. they look really nice... I hadn't seen those before either...

IrishBaby
06-17-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm particularly intrigued by the brass DPNs. I wish they came in more sizes!

itsbecca1979
06-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Ick they're nickel-plated...I'd prolly break out using them!

Quietheart
06-17-2006, 09:20 AM
I am pretty sure my Addis are nickel plated. But at this hour I could be just not thinking straight. heh

Kath

Julie
06-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Yup, they sound a lot like Addis...nickel plated hollow brass... :inlove:

AidanM
06-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I hope there's not any sort of patent infringement going on, what with the needles being so similar to Addis. :S I can just see somebody getting their knickers in a twist over this...

Please God, prevent any twisting of knickers. Amen. :P

Jan in CA
06-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Looks promising, but I'd want more cable sizes! And time will tell if the cables are like boyes or addis.

skNYC
06-17-2006, 02:08 PM
I like the case. That is what I am looking for for all my circulars. Do they sell just the case with refillable pockets?

rebecca
06-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Okay, THAT is must be what was about to happen @ KnitPicks that Kelley couldn't tell me about :thinking: I must investigate ;)

rebecca
06-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Okay, I've been over @ KnitPicks looking @ the new needles and I now want all of them!! The interchangeables, of course, a few of the 24" size 1's and, of course, 2 sets of the dpns in sizes 1 and 2....I must now tell Lonnie all about them ;)

robynbird
06-17-2006, 04:10 PM
You can buy the case, the plastic needle holders, cables, needles all separately! Very cool!

rebecca
06-17-2006, 04:58 PM
:cheering: :cheering: I know....I've been over @ KnitPicks looking them over again I'm pretty sure I'll have to have the interchangeable kit next pay day...or the next...but, WOW...I love, love my Denises, don't get me wrong. I'm a knitting needle junkie and, I was telling Lonnie a few days ago that it would be so cool if addi had an interchangeable set and then I see these...gotta have 'em...gotta have the dpns, gotta have them all :thumbsup:

Amber
06-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Ooooooh, i just saw this at Knit Picks and came over here to see if anyone had tried them yet.

I'm generally a bamboo kinda girl, but these look very, very interesting... flexible cables...smooth joins... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

And, the price for the set is hard to beat!

Okay, I'm off to try to convince my husband (and myself) that I need this...

Amber
06-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Okay, I just bought the set. :happydance: I'll let you all know what I think after I get them and have a chance to try them out!!

TwoLeftNeedles
06-17-2006, 06:24 PM
If you click around, you can eventually find cables in about 6 different lengths, and conventional circulars in needle sizes 0-3. DPNs in small sizes for sock knitting, too.

I've avoided a set because I'm a loose knitter and sizes larger than 7 are likely to go unused. But since you can mix 'n match to build your own set, I could be convinced now.

rebecca
06-17-2006, 09:33 PM
:cheering: :cheering: WTG, Amber....I can't wait to hear what you have to say about them....I want them so badly ;)

Julie
06-17-2006, 09:39 PM
I just ordered two sets of size 0 circs...if these are Addi-esque then poor Jeff will be hurting... :roflhard:

I'll report back as soon as they get here! :D

Andrea
06-18-2006, 01:52 AM
Amber and Julie, we will need a full report!!! That set looks AWESOME! :inlove:

carollovesyarn
06-18-2006, 04:50 AM
Oh dang you Knitpicks - I had just about talked myself into Addi Naturas, but these are so intriguing and reasonably priced! And purple cords people - PURPLE!!!!!

Andrea
06-18-2006, 12:06 PM
That's the first thing I noticed----PURPLE :happydance:

Jan in CA
06-18-2006, 01:05 PM
I can't wait till we get reports on these! I love my Denises, but can one ever have too many needles?! Don't ask my DH that... :lol:

DotMom61
06-19-2006, 05:24 PM
:?? I keep getting an error when I click on the "learn more" button. Dang.

carollovesyarn
06-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Here's a direct link to the 'learn more' page:
http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/KPNeedles.aspx

caviar
06-19-2006, 11:44 PM
For those of you trying these out...specifically, do they feel more like Addis (super slick, a little mroe blunt) or Inox (just the slightest bite, more tapered)?

Quietheart
06-20-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm really interested in if the joins are as good as addis since that is the only ones I can make my socks on currently as I pull so tightly, it won't move over any other type :/

hedgehog
06-20-2006, 01:52 PM
I just ordered two sets of size 0 circs...if these are Addi-esque then poor Jeff will be hurting... :roflhard:

I agree!!

I have the Boye Needlemaster set and i really like it. However, i'm currently working on a project that requires using the size 2 needle and i'm not liking it! From size 3 on up i have no problem with the cable join, but on the size 2 it's a nightmare because there is a place where the cord widens in diameter and the stitches get caught. It's driving me batty!! (i'm a tight knitter)

Soooooo... I just ordered two of their size 2 fixed circs to see if they're better and don't slow me down as much. Fingers crossed!!

$4.99 each... not bad! Jeff, honey, you might just be losing your crown....

-hh

ChroniclesofYarnia
06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
I just ordered these this morning after reading a review in a knittersreview forums.

http://knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59386

I'm so glad these are finally out! They sent me early prototypes many months ago, and I've been sitting on a full kit (not literally of course) for about a month now. They've asked that I not publish a full review until they've had time to make sure there are no kinks in the supply chain.

But until then... I can offer a Reader's Digest version of a review:

First, the cord is much finer and more flexible than the Addi-style needles. And MUCH thinner than the Denise. It takes a little getting used to if you've only knit with the thicker cords. I kept fearing it'd break, but no. The join with the needles is firm - there's no rotation in a socket, as with the Lantern Moon and Crystal Palace circs.

Second, the tips. YES, they are much more pointed than any of the other metal circulars (or even DPNs) out there. I like it because you can have much better control, especially with things like lacework. But I do know some people knit by pushing the tip of the needle back with one finger after they've worked a stitch, and you'll definitely develop a blister if you do it with these ones. But I really, really like the tip on the finer sizes in particular. Just looking at them makes me want to knit socks. You get much more control, coupled with greater speed with the metal surface.

Third, the construction. On the interchangeables, they come with a little pin-like device that you use to tighten the cord to the needle. You need it. If you just screw the needle to the cord it'll come undone as you knit.

One of the larger needles in my set had a dent in it, and in general the interchangeables had a bit of wear at the spot where the needle begins to taper down to the tip. It was as if they'd all been tossed in a big box and shipped from India, and the ocean was a bit rough in transit. (I'm not saying that's what happened, but that's how it looked.) I don't particularly care, but it was noticeable.

That's my two cents. Of course this is completely unofficial, ahem ahem.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Finer and more flexible than Addi's?! Sharper tips (which is my biggest complaint with them)?! I paid for the 2 day shipping. :roflhard:

Julie
06-20-2006, 03:10 PM
ooooooh I'm so excited! Guess what's going on my birthday list! :happydance:

JLC
06-20-2006, 03:34 PM
I read the review on Knitter's Review too and I want to order the set right now. I did order a couple of the smaller "fixed" circs to try so I'm going to make myself wait until I get them and try them before I jump in and order the set, though. I paid for 3-day shipping so I should have them this week.

Jan in CA
06-20-2006, 06:06 PM
I read the review on Knitter's Review too

Where is the review? I can't find it. thanks!

Julie
06-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Scroll up a few posts, Jan, the entire thing is quoted in Yarnmommy's post. :D

Jan in CA
06-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Scroll up a few posts, Jan, the entire thing is quoted in Yarnmommy's post. :D

Oh for the love of.... :rollseyes: Thanks! :lol:

carollovesyarn
06-20-2006, 06:58 PM
I just asked for these for Christmas, but I don't think I can wait that long! Why does my birthday have to be in February?? Pointier tips AND a finer, more flexible cable??!!!!! I must think of another gift receiving occasion! ;)

knitwit
06-20-2006, 07:54 PM
I just asked for these for Christmas, but I don't think I can wait that long! Why does my birthday have to be in February?? Pointier tips AND a finer, more flexible cable??!!!!! I must think of another gift receiving occasion!

There are tons of gift giving occasions right around the corner-
1. 4th of July- Celebrate the birth of our nation with needles!
2. Labor Day- the end of summer! Celebrate the end of summer with needles- think of how fast you'll be able to whip out all of those holiday sweaters!
3. Halloween- Heeeelllooo! Who wants candy anymore- send me needles instead!
4. Thanksgiving- A great time to for our loved ones to be THANKFUL that we knit. Send us needles to show your gratitude!

Or you could just do what I do- buy them and then say "New Needles, what new needles, I've had these forever!!" :D

Ellen Edwards
06-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Gee--I find out about all the neatest things on KH, but I am going to have to start having 4 birthdays a year!!! And then, I'm gonna age very very fast! ;)

I do want to wait til some of youall have gotten them and raodtested them. Then maybe in November, I'll ask DH or DS for a gift certificate to KnitPicks!! :D

carollovesyarn
06-20-2006, 09:07 PM
There are tons of gift giving occasions right around the corner-
1. 4th of July- Celebrate the birth of our nation with needles!
2. Labor Day- the end of summer! Celebrate the end of summer with needles- think of how fast you'll be able to whip out all of those holiday sweaters!
3. Halloween- Heeeelllooo! Who wants candy anymore- send me needles instead!
4. Thanksgiving- A great time to for our loved ones to be THANKFUL that we knit. Send us needles to show your gratitude!

Or you could just do what I do- buy them and then say "New Needles, what new needles, I've had these forever!!" :D

Heh. I like the way you think. :devil:

Oh, dang. I forgot to point out their lovely purple-ness. Everyone who knows me, knows I loves my purple. :heart:

I've got it! First Day of Summer!!!! :rofling:

knitwit
06-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I've got it! First Day of Summer!!!!
Perfect!!!! I actually have been looking at them online and they look fabulous. :inlove:
I have my first official addi turbo on order from Jeff on ebay that I'm anxious to get and I have quite the miscelaneous collection of circs already. It would be soooo nice to have a "go to" set and that binder is fabulous........ :heart: :heart:
My biggest thing is that I'd love to try them out - would be great if they had a return policy - but then again thats probably what keeps their prices so low. :??
I can't wait to see the reviews!!

ChroniclesofYarnia
06-20-2006, 10:29 PM
I say if you need justification, just tell the hubby that you will ebay all your extraneous stuff to pay for the new stuff. Wether you actually get around to doing it or not is not exactly the point. ;)

jessi_9783
06-20-2006, 11:24 PM
I've got it! First Day of Summer!!!!
My biggest thing is that I'd love to try them out - would be great if they had a return policy - but then again thats probably what keeps their prices so low. :??
I can't wait to see the reviews!!
They do have a return policy. Check it out here (http://www.knitpicks.com/Content/help_termssale.asp#4).

By the way, I couldn't resist and placed my order today. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Julie
06-21-2006, 02:09 PM
My circs came today!!!! :cheering:

They are soooo awesome. Cables just as flexible as Addis, pointy tips, and the join is very smooth. These are the traditional circs -- I'm anxious to hear if the join is as smooth on the interchangeables. If so, buh bye Jeff! ;)

I have to say, very smart move on the part of KnitPicks, as every addi-loving knitter has said at least once that they'd looove an addi-esque interchangeable set.

:inlove:

Jan in CA
06-21-2006, 02:38 PM

They are soooo awesome. Cables just as flexible as Addis, pointy tips, and the join is very smooth. These are the traditional circs -- I'm anxious to hear if the join is as smooth on the interchangeables. If so, buh bye Jeff! ;)

I have to say, very smart move on the part of KnitPicks, as every addi-loving knitter has said at least once that they'd looove an addi-esque interchangeable set.

I'm just a little concerned about the pointy tips after reading that review. I DO tend to use my fingers to push so they might not work for me even though I do love Addis. :verysad:

SandraEllen
06-21-2006, 02:55 PM
I am so tempted. I recently bought my first set of addis and i LOVE them. I'm just waiting to hear what everyone thinks....

rebecca
06-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Somehow, I knew you were gonna say that, Julie...can't wait to get mine!!!! 1st of the month can't get here soon enough :thumbsup:

JLC
06-21-2006, 03:01 PM
I tracked my shipment this morning. They're due to be delivered tomorrow. If I like them, I'm going to order the set. Hurry up and be tomorrow.....

robynbird
06-21-2006, 03:12 PM
I want these sooooo bad! I even sold my Boye Needlemaster on eBay this week. I am getting them for my birthday next month...just gotta wait! :)

Amber
06-21-2006, 03:40 PM

Yay! They sound wonderful!! My set was shipped on the 19th...now I'm just counting the days (seconds) until it arrives.

IndianPrincessSIP
06-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Those are like the Mercedes of Knitting Needles!

I am not worthy.

Julie
06-21-2006, 04:18 PM
*runs around the house looking for stuff to sell on eBay*

robynbird
06-21-2006, 04:19 PM
*runs around the house looking for stuff to sell on eBay* :roflhard:

mulene
06-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Ook ladies help...

So doing bombshell it needed a size 3 circ - I've been using the lovely lovely LOVELY denise and used my boye for the size 3. You know what, I'm so down today - my hands hurt like crazy and the sleeve is all pulled where the boye cable was just so cruddy and not flexible like the Denise.

So tell me, are addi's flexible like the Denise and if they are and these knit picks set are MORE flexible would anyone be willing to be a go between for me? I'd buy them and have them mailed to you - you then mail them on to me (and of course I'd pay for all postage costs).

I LOVE my denise I truly wish they came in smaller sizes. Mm or maybe I should get the bamboo interchangeables from plymouth..

Ingrid
06-21-2006, 06:47 PM
If you want to order them, I'd be happy to ship them to you. Just let me know.

mulene
06-21-2006, 06:55 PM
If you want to order them, I'd be happy to ship them to you. Just let me know.

Ooh thank you Ingrid =D

Now just need to hear from some major denise fans on the flexibility / useability.

Am off to nurse my hands some more =(

kemp
06-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Oh wow! Y'all are so tempting me with these. I can't wait to hear from someone who gets the interchangeables. Doesn't anyone have them yet?!? :)

JLC
06-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Oh my...Robyn, I think I was the one who bought your needlemaster!!!! :rofling: I saw it and it was at such a low price, that I couldn't resist, even though I don't really need it. That is just too funny!!!

rebecca
06-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Personally, I find my addi's to be as flexible, if not more flexible than my Denise's...IMHO....I'm sure another knitter will chime in shortly ;)

mulene
06-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Personally, I find my addi's to be as flexible, if not more flexible than my Denise's...IMHO....I'm sure another knitter will chime in shortly ;)

hrmmmmm :thinking: ok so the ONLY thing that puts me off now is maybe the pushing the needle through the loop on the stitch with forefinger. I noticed it was painful using the boyes to do that - maybe its just a bad habit I should get out of...

hedgehog
06-22-2006, 10:45 AM
I tend to use a leather thimble when i've been knitting a lot with pointy needles and the pad of my fingertip gets sore. It's a little fiddle-y to get used to initially but after about 10 min i barely notice it's there.

These are the kind i use - leather with a hard plastic backing. It makes all the difference.

-hh

mulene
06-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Ooh thanks HH! I've just worked out the conversion rate and these are actually a pretty reasonable cost. I'm impressed.

I'm still a bit "grr" today after my experience with the Boye's and my hands still hurt quite a lot. I managed to finish the second sleeve on bombshell but I'm not happy with how stretched it is due to the boyes cable being so rigid. I've got to tackle the neckline now with the boyes too but am thinking of saying sod it and using the smallest Denise needle - the size I need is size 3 surely it won't make a HUGE difference to use the 4 from the denise set.

I'm gonna hold out a little longer (next week I guess) and see what people who get these say.

My questions are:

How do they feel in your hands?
Is the cable smooth and does it allow free and easy flowing movement of the project on the needles? (I found the boye a bit of a nightmare having to tug the work around and over the join)
Is the cable as flexible as they say it is?
If you were stuck on a desert island, with only this set (and additional cables) as your tools would you be happy with that or would you hanker after another set / type of needle instead?

robynbird
06-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Oh my...Robyn, I think I was the one who bought your needlemaster!!!! :rofling: I saw it and it was at such a low price, that I couldn't resist, even though I don't really need it. That is just too funny!!!

:roflhard: Oh my! That is way tooo funny!!!

qio
06-22-2006, 03:35 PM
We're not the only ones excited about KnitPicks needles! Check this out - from Knitpicks.com :

"Your enthusiasm for our new needles has been overwhelming and quite encouraging. Thank you. Unfortunately, we will be running 7 to 14 days late as new stock arrives to fulfill orders. Please forgive us for this small delay. We will ship your entire order as soon as possible. If you would like to receive non-needle items sooner, we suggest you place a separate order for them."

Just as I was about to order me some... guess I should hold off a little while. :D

candicane
06-23-2006, 12:11 PM
I also want to order the interchangeable set, but am concerned about the cable length. Since the cable is 24'' how long does that make it when you add the needle tips. I have found 24'' to be an often used size for me and will be bummed if I can use this set to make the 24. Am I reading it wrong on the website?

Candice

mulene
06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
I also want to order the interchangeable set, but am concerned about the cable length. Since the cable is 24'' how long does that make it when you add the needle tips. I have found 24'' to be an often used size for me and will be bummed if I can use this set to make the 24. Am I reading it wrong on the website?

Candice

I am pretty sure the cable with the pins on the end will be a total length of 24" (just like the denise).

Curlykat
06-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Don't know if this has been covered yet, but do you think the Knitpicks cables would fit the Boye interchangeable needles???

:pray:

mulene
06-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Don't know if this has been covered yet, but do you think the Knitpicks cables would fit the Boye interchangeable needles???

:pray:

Ooh interesting thought!

brownishcoat
06-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Highly unlikely, since the Knitpicks stop at size 4 and the Boyes go down to size 2.

mulene
06-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Highly unlikely, since the Knitpicks stop at size 4 and the Boyes go down to size 2.

mm not sure that would make a difference since boyes also go up to the bigger sizes. Its gonna be the size of the hole in the point that matters - if the screws are similar sizes then it might work but one would imagine Knit Picks have thought of that and made theirs an exclusive size.

Never know tho - anyone able to try? :)

Curlykat
06-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Hmmm...good point...but the knitpicks look like they still have to taper down quite a bit to be small enough to screw onto the cable???? I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!!!

brownishcoat
06-23-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm planning to try them at some point. I want the classic circs in 32" size 0, 1, and 3, and tips in size 5 and 10.5 plus a set of 32" cables.

I'm trying to double up on all the tip sizes for 2 circ socks and my Hobby Lobby doesn't stock size 3, 5 or 10.5 tips. So this way I can try out the pointy tips and have the rest of the doubles I need!

mulene
06-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Hmmm...good point...but the knitpicks look like they still have to taper down quite a bit to be small enough to screw onto the cable???? I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!!!

Hold out for someone to try them?

I'd try but I have to arrange some shennanigans for delivery and want to wait till I see how I go on the last bit of this sweater with my first ever addi. If that goes well and hands get some relief from using the addi then I'll get these. I'll probably give my boyes away to a charity shop, or sell on ebay and give the profits to Cancer research after.

Jan in CA
06-23-2006, 02:09 PM
I wanted a size 6 or 7 -16in to try, but they don't have them apparently. Phooey. :rollseyes:

newamy
06-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Well when I orignally posted I was hoping for some compare and contrast discussion. I don't have any interchagable needles and have never seen a set of any kind in person. Reading the posts I've learned a bit about sets and people are certainly excited about the knitpicks set.
But for what reasons do people like Denise's? OR Boye? Or Needle master? Surely each set has advantages and dissadvantages.
I hesitate to buy the knitpicks particualry because the cables aren't 16inch- like Jan said. Do other interchangables have 16 inch cables?

carollovesyarn
06-23-2006, 10:10 PM
You can make 17" circs with Denises, but I never knit with short lengths. I bought the Denises because that was the first interchangeable set I tried. I thought aluminum would be too slippery (I was new to knitting then). I still like the resin needle tips, but I don't like the cables. They are too thick and 'grippy'.

So I've been slowly increasing my Addi collection - although NOW I'll be saving for the Knitpicks needles, because I love :heart: interchangeable needles. Up to now, I've been buying long Addis and using the magic-loop method for everything, just so I don't have to buy several lengths of one size.

I think my collection will eventually consist of the Knitpicks set, plus a few smaller sized Addis/KP and a random assortment of bamboo circs (optimally Addi Naturas - unless KP comes out with their own brand of interchangeable bamboos - I can dream!).

Andrea
06-24-2006, 05:01 AM
I just ordered the KP set! Can't wait!! :cheering:

suecq
06-24-2006, 10:17 AM
I got my KNitpicks set last night and they are great. I have tried them on a lace shawl that I had on Denise's and the Knitpicks work better (amd I love my Denise needles.) The new needles are very sharp so getting through the decreases is a snap. The cable is like butter so the stitches just flow along.

I also cast on a shell top in cotton. No problems. Stitches flow smoothy. The sharper points make it so much easier to work. I also push the needle at times. The sharper point lets you know you are doing it so I think that will be an easy habit to break. The needles themselves are like satin. They are just so smooth. The cables are more flexible than Addis.

The length of the cable includes the needles. (I measured.)

The needles are noticeably heavier than the Denise's, but not too heavy.

Back to playing with my string.

janelanespaintbrush
06-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Well when I orignally posted I was hoping for some compare and contrast discussion.

Have you read through http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2062?

It helped me decide on Denises, which I love. BUT, I so want to try some new options needles (in the smaller sizes that aren't included in my denise set since I can easily justify that). I know it's silly, but I've decided not to actually order any until they are shipping out regularly -- an indeterminate wait period would be too unbearable for me. My plan is to hold off until they have them stocked up so the waiting-anxiously-for-the-package-to-arrive period is shorter! (Yes, I know it's not logical.)

hedgehog
06-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Well, i posted earlier saying that i am currently using my size 2 Boye circs for a baby sweater and i'm going crazy. Size 3 and up is no problem, but the yarn is getting caught at the join and i'm hating it. So i bought some of the fixed Classic Knitpicks circs (size 2) and they came this morning. :cheering:

Now i know that everyone is interested in how the interchangables are (including myself!), but i thought i'd let you know about the fixed circs too...

First of all, they are just as yummy as Addis!!! LOVE THEM! :inlove: :heart: :inlove: I'm using Knitpicks Shine Sport (for those who don't know it's 100% cotton) and it moves so easily over the cord and the needles - even at the join. It's a far cry from the tugging and pulling i was doing before with my Boye needle. :wall:

The join is as seamless as it can be and the cord is just as mushy-gushy, flippy-floppy as the Addi cord. It's nothing like the Boye cord which (although i like my set) CAN be rather stiff.

Summary: i think Jeff has met his match and then some. :thumbsup: I'd continue buying these as i need them. I bought 16" and 24" and they're both lovely. The length includes the needle, just like Addis.

KP does it again - great yarn and now GREAT needles!! :inlove:

What am i doing still typing? I should be with my new love... off to :XX:

-hh

P.S. One difference i DID notice is that their size 2 is 3.0 mm and the Boye size 2 is 2.75 mm. Luckily for me it's not making a big difference but i wonder how different the sizes of needles are between companies? Silly me, i thought there was some sort of standardization... :oops:

Amber
06-26-2006, 02:47 PM
I got my set!!!! And, I love them!!

They are very lightweight, and smooth. The stitches slide effortlessly along the needle. The tips are pointy — quite a bit pointier than my Boye’s. I do use the tip of my finger to push against the end of the needle when I slide the stitches off, and so far that hasn’t been a problem. I imagine after a while though, my finger might get sore. A thimble or something, of course, would solve that problem.

The joins are very nice, even, and smooth. There is nothing to snag the stitches. And, I like the fact that the joins are straight rather than bent, as they are on the Boye’s set.

The cables, as I said before, are very, very flexible. I think this is the thing I love most about these needles. The cables are such an improvement over anything else I’ve used.

Overall, this is a really nice set, and worth every penny.

The only things I don’t like:

Two of the needles in my set have damaged threads, where they screw into the cable, and won’t go on. I’m calling Knit Picks today, and I hope they’ll send me replacements, but to me this is a sign of poor manufacturing, poor quality control, or both. A couple of other needles are a little tricky to get on, but they do fit. Now, to be fair, I have found that not all of the needles on my Boye’s set go on smoothly either. But, I still think that having two needles (out of 18) that don’t fit at all is a problem.

Secondly, I’m not terribly fond of the needle case that comes with the set. It’s bulky and sort of cheap feeling. It’s basically a three-ring binder with zippered plastic pockets for the needles and cables. I like my Boye’s case much better — it’s nice and thin and everything has its place. The Knit Picks’ case seems more like something they just threw together at the last minute rather than a well-designed needle case. I know the intenetion is that you can add more tips cables, etc. and the case will fit everything, and I guess in that respect it is good. So, this isn’t a big deal to me, but I do think they could have come up with something a bit better.

Finally, there are no instructions. Now, for me, this isn’t a problem at all, but I can imagine that some people out there will need some directions for how to attach the needles to the cables, and (more importantly) use the little “key” to make sure they’re tight, but nothing at all came with my set. This just seems a bit odd, or maybe another sign of Knit Picks overlooking details in an effort to get these needles to market.

Curlykat
06-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Amber,

Do the Knitpicks cables fit onto your Boye's needles??? Please, please say yes!!!

hedgehog
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Amber,

Do the Knitpicks cables fit onto your Boye's needles??? Please, please say yes!!!

:pray: :pray: :pray:

-hh

Curlykat
06-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Ha, ha! Hedgehog, if Amber says yes, are we going to have a race to the Knitpicks site??

:D :thumbsup:

Treeling
06-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Mine, too, have just arrived.... And I am over the moon!

Now, okay, when I say -just- I mean JUST. As in I haven't transferred any projects onto them (will do in the next hour, Ah ga-ron-tee)...

For the moment, I'm having a good time setting the whole set up the way I like, and actually, that process is giving me plenty to say!

I have almost a complete set of Boyes interchangeables and numerous Addis, so these thoughts are based on those comparisons.

A) Cords are lovely and whippy. Maybe not quite as soft as my very small Addis, but the difference is *very* minimal. I think they are certainly adequately soft for magic loops, etc. They are far, far, far softer and thinner than my Boyes. I purchased an additional 60" cable (and actually, though I didn't realize it, got TWO for what I thought one cost) and both together roll neatly and quietly up into a circle about 3.5 inches in diameter that lays nicely flat in its little pocket. Seriously. Try that with Boyes.

B) The points are supa-dupa sharp. They'll be hell with splitty yarn, but heaven with everything else (and isn't splitty yarn its own hell, regardless?). And I, too, see a little leather finger guard in my future.

C) The joins are indeed very smooth and the taper promises to keep stitches sliding along unlike my Boyes. I recently started my first socks on 2 Boyes size 2 interchangeable circulars. Needless to say, 2/3 of the way through sock A, I ordered a pair of Addis from Jeff and waited for them to arrive from Hong Kong before proceeding. That's how bad it was-- the clunky joins were bigger than the needle points! Knitpicks, obviously, is acknowledging that tiny needles don't do well as interchangeables... but even with the size 4 Options needles, I foresee no problems.

D) The Storage System. Ah, every silver lining has a cloud.

1-- The Pockets: First let me say that the pockets are genius. They are very sturdy, and have a nice ziploc-zippery closure system to keep things in place. I, having a secret anal-retentive streak, am labeling the pockets with a sharpie as I fill them so that I can create a designated place for everything. I should also add that I ordered one extra set of pockets, but doubt that they are really going to prove necessary in the near future-- they give you pah-lenty UNLESS you want to place each set of points in its own pocket, in which case you should order 1 additional set of the 3-pocket variety. ETA: The set comes with 2 each of the 1 pocket, 2 pocket, and 3 pocket pages.... I am finding that the 2 pocket page is really only useful for holding little notions like endcaps/keys and the KP cables: they're too big for just a set of points, too small for anything else. Note to Addi users: If you plan to consolidate, be aware that the ONLY page which will accomodate an Addi circular is the one pocket page-- KP points are shorter in length, though, so an assembled KP needle does fit in the 2 pocket page. I recommend (if, like me, you are going to consolidate) ordering 1 extra set of 1 pocket pages and 1 extra set of 3 pocket pages (you have 9 sets of needle points and only 6 small pockets... which is a bit annoying-- you can double up, of course, but meh).

2-- The Needle Card: One of the weird things about this set, as someone mentioned, is that there is no designated place to put the fripping needles that will spare you the annoyance of having to check the size of your points every time you're gearing up for a project. HOWEVER, the needles arrived strapped to a labeled piece of cardboard (designating sizes for each set) by elastics. So what I did was judiciously trim the cardboard and carefully punch holes in it so that it would fit onto the rings of the binder. It only -just- fits and it may not last long, but there aren't enough of the small sized pockets included to give one to each set of points (if I do move them over, I'll probably want to label all my pockets to avoid size questions), so this is my next-best solution. Could've been better planned in that respect. ETA: The card is just sucking up too much of the limited binder space... I am going to move them into pockets (but I'm saving the card in case that doesn't work out...)

3-- The Case. The case itself is reasonably nice as binders go. Attractive to look at, smells like real leather. The problem is that it really just seems too small! The pockets come out to the very edge of the case and I can foresee numerous zipper-jams when I catch a pocket while trying to open or close. The case will probably also prove to be a little small depth-wise once I've loaded it up with my addis and other accessories. Time will tell, but it looks ominous. ETA: Oh yeah. This sucker is not going to be staying zipped up-- by the time I get my Addis in there, it's going to be overstuffed. However, since each pocket has its own zipper, this doesn't make a big difference in terms of "containment"... it just won't LOOK so neat and clean.

These small complaints aside, I am thrilled to death! I will be sure and post again if I discover any new virtues or faults...

Curlykat
06-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Please, someone, try your Boyes with the KP cables!!! Each new posting to this thread brings me one step closer to ordering!!! A positive Boye to KP endorsement will push me straight over the edge!!!

P.S. Can you tell that patience isn't my strong suit?!?

rebecca
06-26-2006, 04:48 PM
I wish mine would get here!!! But, nooooo....backordered :rollseyes:

Treeling
06-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Curlykat--

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my Boyes tip did not fit on a KP cable...

I suspect that's deliberate on the part of KP ;)

ETA: Just to be thorough, I tried a different sized Boyes tip on the KP cable (no dice-- the KP cable's screw is just a teeny bit too fat, I think...) and a Boyes cable with a KP tip (no dice, the KP's hole is too big for the Boyes screw)....

You can always justify the purchase like I did: As a knitting missionary, I plan to give most of my old Boyes away to noobie knitters I've brought into the fold on the condition that they knit up some little happy for charity...

Curlykat
06-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Darn! :crying:

Amber
06-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Sorry Curlykat and hedgehog --- just saw your question!

As treeling says, the Boye's needles won't fit on the KP cable. :(

hedgehog
06-27-2006, 12:37 AM
:verysad:

bummer... i'm not surprised... but still...

-hh

jessi_9783
06-27-2006, 03:07 AM
Finally, there are no instructions. Now, for me, this isn’t a problem at all, but I can imagine that some people out there will need some directions for how to attach the needles to the cables, and (more importantly) use the little “key” to make sure they’re tight, but nothing at all came with my set. This just seems a bit odd, or maybe another sign of Knit Picks overlooking details in an effort to get these needles to market.
There are instructions. They are located on the little cards in the packages that contain the cables, end caps, and turning key.

I got my set yesterday too and I love it. This set is what I wanted the crabby Boyes to be. I'm absolutely grinning from ear to ear because I can MagicLoop with these. The only thing I don't like is they have to be screwed in but I can live with that. I'm planning on my buying another set of double and triple pockets, the needles in the bigger sizes, 40" cables, and needle ID tags.

mulene
06-27-2006, 10:53 AM
OK that does it - I'm getting these. Yep the boye fitting would have been cool but its not a major downer. I'm still reeling from the agony caused by using that boye for my sleeve on the Bombshell.

Now.. if I order now will they save the whole thing (including the out of stock ones) till they have it all in then send?

SandraEllen
06-27-2006, 11:29 AM
I ordered the needle set and the id tags on Friday (after they were already backordered) and paid for faster 3day shipping.
So i got my id tags yesterday (shipped 3day with ups) but i'm wondering what i'm going to do with these until my needles come in. They're useless to me.
I guess i can sit and stare at the pretty purple...

Celine
06-27-2006, 12:35 PM
I just got the newest issue of Knit Picks in the mail and they have their new needles on the cover and have a four page spread inside all about it. Looks like they will be very popular!! I recently bought the Denise and I just love those...so I'm happy too!! :happydance: :happydance:

Treeling
06-27-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm thinking about getting the ID tags while I'm ordering extra pockets.... I need to see if the pockets are backordered or just needles. I'm not the most patient girl in the world.

I did start knitting with them last night. I transfered a project from an addi to a KP size 9 interchangeable and ... ZOMG.

I think I might actually like the KP one better! Better than an ADDI! The tip was much pointier (gonna need finger protection, in fact) but the finish was just as slick, the cord was just as soft, the join was MORE tapered but just as smooth AND then there's the simple fact that it cost a fraction of addi's per-needle price and is interchangeable...

Absolutely NO unscrewing occured, btw. A problem I constantly had with Boyes.

I'm in heaven! And I will keep an eye out for that new KP catalog. It's kind of moot, since I already -have- them, but I've always been a bit of a freakshow when comes to reading the 'specs' or reviews for things I just bought or am about to buy....

squee!

rebecca
06-27-2006, 02:40 PM
:D Well, mine have been shipped, so the backorders are now being shipped...YAY!!! I, too, ordered the id tags :D

VickiIL
06-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Mine are still on back order.... :( So I guess the list of those who have ordered must be pretty long!

This must be a lesson in patience.

Amber
06-27-2006, 03:06 PM
There are instructions. They are located on the little cards in the packages that contain the cables, end caps, and turning key.
[/quote]

:doh: Doh! I didn't even notice!

I called KP yesterday about the defective needles in my set and they're sendind out replacements! Yay! KP has really great customer service!

The needles are fantastc. Now, I'm trying to decide what my first "real" project with them will be (I've messed around w/ a couple of swatches so far and that's it). Decisions, decisions...

JLC
06-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Mine shipped too!!! Oh why did I not spring for the quicker shipping? They shipped yesterday, I could have them this week if I had done the 3-day. Oh well, at least they're on their way!!

Andrea
06-30-2006, 01:56 PM
:cheering: I got mine today! :cheering:

And those who are waiting--I placed my order early Saturday morning...not too bad (normal "free" shipping option)

I am interested in hearing how people set their binder up if I could get some imput there. I'm not sure how to do it the best way :thinking:

rebecca
06-30-2006, 02:03 PM
I place my order on the 22nd...hopefully they will be here today :thumbsup:

Andrea
06-30-2006, 03:03 PM
I hope so, Rebecca!!! I know you'll love them!!! :heart: :heart:

Andrea
07-01-2006, 04:11 AM
I'm using mine right now...

:inlove: :drooling: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyy goooooooooooooooooodness :drooling: :inlove:

They are fantastic!!

jessi_9783
07-01-2006, 04:45 AM
:cheering: I got mine today! :cheering:

And those who are waiting--I placed my order early Saturday morning...not too bad (normal "free" shipping option)

I am interested in hearing how people set their binder up if I could get some imput there. I'm not sure how to do it the best way :thinking:
I put each pair of tips in the triple pockets. I'm buying another set of those so I can put up the last 3 pair. Then used the double pockets for storing the cords, end caps, and turning key in each if the 4 pockets. I have 6 Addis so I put 3 in 1 single pocket and other 3 in the other. I'll take pics later today if you want see. Just let me know.

Andrea
07-01-2006, 04:52 AM
Thanks, Jessi! One more triple included would have been nice :thinking: I haven't decided if I want to put my Addi's in there yet...

jessi_9783
07-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Yes, I was a little peeved that they didn't include another one. But that's not stopping me from loving my set. These are the BEST needles!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Andrea
07-01-2006, 06:58 AM
They are awesome!! I am so glad I got them!! :cheering: :heart:

JLC
07-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Woo Hoo! The package with my 2nd set of Denise's and the Addi's came yesterday, and my Options set came today. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do more than look at them. I don't even want to attempt to take things out of the package and put them in the binder with 2 little boys and a puppy running around. It'll have to wait until the kids go to bed. Is 3:30 too early to put the kids to bed?? :oops:

gardenmommy
07-01-2006, 05:41 PM
So why do you think there is not a separate 16 inch cord? I see there are the Classic Circulars in 0, 1, 2, and 3 in 16 inch lengths, but not bigger sizes, and the shortest Options cable is only 24 inches. Do you think it is just a matter of time (and demand) until they come out with a 16 incher? Or just do the 2-circs or magic loop for smaller diameter stuff?

I am *so* tempted! So very, very tempted! ;)

Kinda interesting how they came up with them, but still they kind of lack some features that we would have suggested, like somehow coloring or stamping the size of the of the needles to differentiate them.

jessi_9783
07-02-2006, 01:44 AM
It's been speculated that the reason why they didn't make a cord to make a 16" circ was because it was uncomfortable to knit with. I'm willing to believe it because Denise's had to be a 17" before it was comfortable. I guess it just can't be done easily on any interchangeable set. And I don't think KP was willing to make an odd length, like 17". Maybe we'll get lucky and it's being developed. However, I've got a feeling it's not gonna happen. But I really hope I'm wrong. :D

Angelia
07-02-2006, 09:40 AM
:(

You folks are REALLY making me want a set of these!

Andrea, I may have to order some and have them shipped to your house. I'll pick them up next month... :rofling:

amy
07-02-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm just popping in on this thread, haven't read all the posts. Just thought I'd mention that Knitter's Review just did a review of these, you probably found that already. Apparently the cables are thinner than even Addi's, which sounds like they'd be the best needles out there for those of you who are Magic Loop knitting fans.

24" is a long minimum cable size though, good if you like magic loop, but not very practical if you don't. :thinking:

Still, they sound very nice...

AidanM
07-02-2006, 01:09 PM
I ordered some Denise's and now I'm almost worried from all the great stuff you guys have been saying that I won't like them! :? Are the Options better than Denise's or just different?

DotMom61
07-02-2006, 07:47 PM
I think they're just different, Aiden. For my own personal preference, I like using the Denises for slippery yarn. They're wonderful for that.

But just the other day I started a bag using Cascade 220 on my Denises. The yarn was moving sluggishly, and so I knit it onto my Boye's, which are aluminum, and I was much happier knitting with metal for that yarn.

Just my 2 cents ... I have a feeling the Options are really great for wool and other yarn that might hang up on a less slippery needle, but I truly can see a need for both types of needles. And, really, I'm not just rationalizing! :lol:

Julie
07-02-2006, 08:26 PM
A agree that the ideal needle depends on the yarn too. I'd been working on a bulky project for a few weeks that had been killing my hands, and I decided to try it out on my new Denises last night. The pointiness of the Denises made them much more ideal for the project than my US13 Addis...soooo much easier on my hands in general...go figure.

So when in doubt...buy them all... :rofling:

AidanM
07-02-2006, 08:42 PM
So when in doubt...buy them all... :rofling:
I do really, really want the Options circulars...

Andrea
07-03-2006, 09:00 AM
:(

You folks are REALLY making me want a set of these!

Andrea, I may have to order some and have them shipped to your house. I'll pick them up next month... :rofling:

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I just saw this, but YES!!! What a BRIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLIANT idea, Ang!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Treeling
07-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Andrea-- I'd definitely recommend ordering another set of 3 pocket pages... (and I bough some more single pocket pages for my Addis --I only have 6 sets in 4 sizes, so some are rooming together-- and the binder zipped up just fine with all the extras in)

I've discovered something nice, organizationally... I labeled each pocket with a Sharpie (magenta, to match the accessories, because I'm going slowly insane with glee over these and apparently have a deeply obsessive-compulsive nature)... I managed to make a couple of boo-boos while labeling which made me sad UNTIL I found that a little q-tip with some non-acetone nail polish remover completely erases sharpie from the plastic pouches WITHOUT causing any damage to the plastic.

Meaning you can set it all up, label it nice and neat, and then change it as time goes by and you collection grows or changes.

My love for these needles grows and grows. I just wrestled my way through a hat in moss stitch in Lion Suede (never again!) and without these slick, pointy little babies, I think I would have given up. I knit in the round on a size 9 Option and a size 9 Addi... easy as pie

Treeling
07-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Andrea-- I'd definitely recommend ordering another set of 3 pocket pages... (and I bought some more single pocket pages for my Addis --I only have 6 sets in 4 sizes, so some are rooming together-- and the binder zipped up just fine with all the extras in)

I've discovered something nice, organizationally... I labeled each pocket with a Sharpie (magenta, to match the accessories, because I'm going slowly insane with glee over these and apparently have a deeply obsessive-compulsive nature)... I managed to make a couple of boo-boos while labeling which made me sad UNTIL I found that a little q-tip with some non-acetone nail polish remover completely erases sharpie from the plastic pouches WITHOUT causing any damage to the plastic.

Meaning you can set it all up, label it nice and neat, and then change it as time goes by and you collection grows or changes.

My love for these needles grows and grows. I just wrestled my way through a hat in moss stitch in Lion Suede (never again!) and without these slick, pointy little babies, I think I would have given up. I knit in the round on a size 9 Option and a size 9 Addi... easy as pie

sara_jayne
07-03-2006, 06:41 PM
I ordered my set this morning plus 1 40" cable. I could have ordered much more but I behaved....I figure those can be Christmas and birthday gifts!

I can't wait to get them! This will be my first set of interchangeable needles - my first pair of circulars were Addis that I bought by mistake so I haven't looked back! Since everyone has raved about these I figured it was time to save some money on Addis!

Friskums
07-03-2006, 10:00 PM
I just got my first pair of Addis and then the next day got the KP circs I ordered. Couldn't find the Addi's in the size I needed.

I think I much prefer the KP ones! At least the smaller sizes. The pointier tips are so much nicer when working with smaller gauges. I'm sure I'll be getting the rest that I need in KP needles instead. And maybe selling the Addi's.

VickiIL
07-03-2006, 10:21 PM
:cheering: Mine came today! I am LOVING them! I need to order some more of the inserts and definately want to collect the rest of the set. My only complaint is similar to everone elses...I really wish the needles were labeled somehow. Everything else is great!

Andrea
07-04-2006, 05:46 AM
The Sharpie is a good idea for labelling!! I'll have to do that. I also want some DPNs and more inserts for my Addis! :heart:

sara_jayne
07-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Would a sharpie hurt the surface of the needle or wear off? Maybe I'll try to lable the needles with a sharpie when I get them and I'll let you know!

Friskums
07-04-2006, 01:24 PM
I've been labeling the bag itself with the needle size and circ length. :thumbsup:

Treeling
07-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Sara-Jayne I wrote on the bag itself, not the needles. I doubt you could get sharpie to stay on the surface of the needles, they're very slick and are constantly being "scrubbed" by your yarn. I doubt it would actually hurt the finish, though. I've never had anything be damaged by a sharpie (other than being stained).

Works great on the pouch, though... And is "erasable!"

frisky_kittie I think I like my KP's better, too! In fact... I *know* I do. It's the oddest sensation! After being programmed to love Addis and resigned to the fact that among the limited choices for circulars, they were far and away the best... It's hard to accept that they are NOT the end-all, be-all! I'm going to keep at least one of every size, though, because I prefer to knit in the round with 2 circs and that saves me having to buy additional points from KP.

You have to love KP. Every knitter who has ever wielded a circular could have told any engineer exactly what to do to make them better. And they finally got up and did something about it (and are, no doubt, reaping major financial rewards!). What really baffles me is why nobody else has really given Addi a run for their money until now. We all know that the cost to produce Addis has to be a very SMALL fraction of the cost to purchase them (as KP proves)... And the Addi innovations are more "duh, of course that's better, everyone knows that" than "I never would've thought of that!" And yet Addi has just gotten away with dominating a thriving market for this long because neither Boye nor Denise nor anyone else really seemed interested in fixing the problems that knitters have found with their product. LAZY! I hope KP's success makes them sit up and take notice and we see more truly good needles at good prices hitting the shelves. I find it very, very, very hard to believe that if Boye released new and improved cables (although they allegedly have once already, I saw not much improvement), people would want the old ones back.