PDA

View Full Version : Numbness?

jdee
06-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I've recently begun to up my knitting skills, by trying to knit more things in the round, and I've noticed a strange numbing sensation in the last three fingers of my right hand. At first I dismissed it as a pinched nerve from maybe sleeping with my arm in a funny position, but days have gone by, and I still have this numbness. Sometimes it occurs while knitting, but sometimes, it happens when I do normal household things. My husband bought me some nylon gloves that are supposed to help improve circulation, but I really hate wearing them. I guess I may just have to make myself.

Has anyone else experienced this strange feeling? Should I see a doctor, or just try to relax my grip on the needles?

Thanks for any advice,
Jennifer

rebecca
06-19-2006, 04:24 PM
I have, but in my left pinky and forefinger...I'm a conti knitter and wrap the yarn around my pinky and over my forefinger....it was numb for a bit, but it went away, thank God :D

wrchili
06-19-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm glad someone else said something. I was beginning to think something was wrong with me. I often notice numbness in the ring finger on my left hand.

TwoLeftNeedles
06-19-2006, 04:44 PM
It's a nerve being entrapped by either your elbow or your wrist. Basically, you're doing small, repetitive motions with either your wrists or your elbows in a poor position. I forget which nerve affects the sensation in which fingers, but I had something similar a few years back.

Take frequent breaks and shake our your hands and arms. A minute out of every 10 isn't unreqsonable, plus an extra 10 minutes at the top of the hour. Stretch, wiggle, flex the joints in other directions.

blueeyes28
06-19-2006, 04:56 PM
I had the same thing happening and I found that relaxing my grip a little and trying to find a more comfortable position helped for some reason it seemed to have something to do with the way my head and neck were positioned.

jdee
06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks everyone. I feel much better now that I know this is a common think among knitters. I used to crochet all the time, and never had this problem. I wonder why? Maybe it's harder for me to grip two needles, instead of just one hook.

Jeremy
06-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Thats the distribution of the ulnar nerve. Its the same nerve the we used to call the funny bone when we were kits. You might check how you are holding your elboe when you knit, ie against a chair or surface etc.

Sara
06-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Try changing positions as Jeremy suggests. Also, if you are using straight needles, switching to circulars will probably help. My hands ache if I use straights anymore. Yes, you can knit flat with a circular needle and the bonus is that you never lose half of a set.

Loosen up the death grip on your yarn. You'll enjoy it more. It can't get away from you. :thumbsup:

smartcat
06-19-2006, 07:53 PM
It also helps to not have your elbow resting on any hard surface when you are knitting, crocheting or doing any activity. I find riding in the car for long periods with my elbow on the arm rest can trigger it, even. If you have a favorite chair, look into getting a small pillow to put between your elbow and the arm of your chair and see if that helps to relieve some of the stress. Also, apply some heat/ice packs with some ibuprofen if it gets painful. This is a reoccuring injury, do not expect it to heal and go away, you will always need to be aware and be careful.

qio
06-19-2006, 08:09 PM
My mother had a similar experience a few years back - turns out she had Carpel tunnel syndrome! I truly hope this is not what you have - but if it gets much much worse, you might want to visit a doctor.

jdee
06-19-2006, 08:18 PM
So far, it doesn't hurt, it's just a little annoying. A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I drove to Alabama to visit members of his family. During the long drive, I knitted socks. The armrest in the car could definately be the culprit. Thanks for mentioning it.

What really bothers me is the fact that it now happens when I do other things. We are in the process of painting our house, and I had to stop, hold my arm down, and wiggle my fingers to get the blood going again. This happened frequently while doing the trim, and other brush work.

Also, I have a cat who loves to sleep in my lap while I knit. This causes me to hold my work up more and a little to the side. I'm sure this positions doesn't do much to help my situation.