PDA

View Full Version : Continental or English?

PinkRoses
06-19-2006, 06:26 PM
When I was taught how to knit when I was young, everyone who ever showed me had the "english" way of knitting. I've always knitted the "continental" way even though I had no idea that that was what it was called. I'm ambidextrous so my teacher at the time said I must be more of a lefty. :thinking:

Either way, I was wondering how many of you are continental knitters and how many are english knitters. I've tried knitting the english way and for me, it's so difficult to the point that I can't even do it. I'm so glad this site has videos that show both ways. It's so helpful! :thumbsup:

:XX: Lisa

rebecca
06-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Continental knitter here. I taught myself to knit with the English method and Amy taught me to knit conti style and I've stuck with it :thumbsup:

itsbecca1979
06-19-2006, 06:59 PM
English for me...I can crochet, but for some reason cont is just too awkward for me.

Ingrid
06-19-2006, 07:05 PM
English, here. I've tried conti, but it just doesn't feel like knitting to me, since I knit English for so long.

Julie
06-19-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm the opposite of Ingrid... ;) Tried English, just can't do it, it doesn't feel right to me. Continental knitting is in my blood. :D

DeAnzaJig
06-19-2006, 09:56 PM
I was taught Continental at a knitting class I took, but my mom (who I didn't even know could knit!) switched me over to English before I poked my own eye out with one of my needles out of frustration.

Now that I know what I'm doing, I went back and tried Continental, which I found I could do, but I've stuck with English!

Jan in CA
06-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Started out continental, but it just didn't click till I tried english. Now I only use continental if I'm doing fair isle and then I use both hands. ;)

miccisue
06-19-2006, 10:20 PM
English here. That's the way I was taught, although I think the women who taught the class actually knit Continental. I'm guessing that English is easier to teach - I was never actually taught how to hold the yarn, either, so my style is pretty much a mess....I don't wrap the yarn around any of my fingers, I just throw it - because a person "throws" the yarn and it seems easier to make the stitches to me.

Anyway, if I get the set of videos for my birthday (which I have asked for!!!), I'm hoping that once I get all of my gifts made I will be able to play around with the Continental style, as everyone says it's so much faster.

brendajos
06-19-2006, 10:32 PM
left handed conti knitter here! my instructor told me that if i was at all ambidextrous it was better to learn to knit right handed so others could help me if i needed it......and since i am, that was how she taught me. :thumbsup:

though i think i do purl in a weird hybrid of both. :??

jdee
06-19-2006, 10:39 PM
English for me. I tried to do the continental method, but I just can't get the feel of it.

Miccisue, I never quite mastered how to hold the yarn, either, so I guess I'm also a thrower. I've watched people guide the yarn around the needle so gracefully, and I want to be able to do that so bad, but somehow, I always end up throwing it. Oh, well. As long as I enjoy my knitting, I guess that's all that matters. :D

Angelia
06-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Conti! :thumbsup: I've crocheted forever and was so used to holding the yarn in my left hand that doing that when knitting just felt natural. I actually don't mind knitting English, but my stitches are too tight. I suppose they might loosen with practice, though.

misstialouise
06-19-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm a convert..

Always knitted English style... but it just took me SOOOO long...

I then learned Continental from Amy's videos.. now I FLY!!!

:D

CateKnits
06-20-2006, 12:18 AM
English all the way! I CAN knit continental, but I'm not quick and I don't enjoy it. It irritates my finger that the yarn slides over and my tension is horrible.

DianaM
06-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Been a crocheter since I was nine, so when I took up the needles, Continental was the way to go.

melinphx
06-20-2006, 02:42 AM
I learned the English method in 8th grade Home Economics, and between it being so slow and always having those way-too-slippery aluminum needles sliding right out of the stitches, I abandoned knitting and began crocheting... until this spring. After discovering KH and Amy's videos (and bamboo needles), I learned the Continental method and it's like I've found a new friend!

Hurray for KnittingHelp.com!!! :cheering:

glomper
06-20-2006, 03:12 AM
I use the "English" method and suspect that 90% of Kiwis who knit do. I'm
quite cautious and like to try one new technique at a time so will give it a
go later but will probably find it hard as I struggle with crochet. Have
taught myself how to crochet a chain but am lost after that. For those
who can knit both ways which method do you think would be easier for
someone who has problem with carpal tunnel or is it much of a muchness? :thinking:

Mama Bear
06-20-2006, 04:40 AM
I prefer to knit English/Lever. I knit left handed. I taught my daughters both different ways so they could choose. One knits left handed Continental (holds the yarn in her right hand) the other knits right handed Continental.

Mama Bear

misstialouise
06-20-2006, 06:19 AM
For those
who can knit both ways which method do you think would be easier for
someone who has problem with carpal tunnel or is it much of a muchness? :thinking:

I would say that Continental is easier.

I am able to knit for much longer with Continental, than I can with English.

Celine
06-20-2006, 07:18 AM
I knit Continental style. I do not remember when I learned how to knit. :?? My mom use to crochet and I do remember well her sitting me down and teaching me how to crochet and I got it right away while my sister couldn't get it.

I've only been seriously knitting for the past two years. I dabbled in it on and off many years ago but never got beyond very basic. :XX: :XX:

dustinac
06-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I started out using English and switched to Continental.. I liked it better but I do sometimes still knit English if I'm helping my mom or SIL.. thats how they knit so if I show them something my way I loose them :rofling: and if I'm knitting something that uses more than one color I carry yarn in both hands and knit both ways.. I do think continental is easier and is my preferred choice :thumbsup:

DoulaLyndsey
06-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Continental knitter here! I knit so much faster using continental than I do using English.

Jan in CA
06-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Because several people have mentioned crocheting as a reason the now knit continental I would like to say that I crocheted (yarn in left hand) long before I knit, but I still find knitting easier the english way. :thinking: :lol:

Cristy
06-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm a continential knitter too...I tried for several years to teach myself to knit using the english method and it never did click. When I learned about continential, I tried again and got it--then I found Amy's videos and really began to understand what I was doing. My sister started english but says she magically somehow changed to continential after watching me to knit (but she's in CA and I'm in GA?!?!?) I don't know any other continential knitters--all of my SNB members are english knitters.

earthchick
06-20-2006, 10:14 AM
I do Continental. I learned from a book which showed both ways. I tried the English but it just didn't feel right. Then with Continental, things kind of clicked.

Funny thing happened not long ago. I was at a knitting group with women somewhat older than me; they were all knitting English. One of them looked at how I was knitting and said to another woman, "Oh, look, she's knitting that new way." :lol:

Angelia
06-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Because several people have mentioned crocheting as a reason the now knit continental I would like to say that I crocheted (yarn in left hand) long before I knit, but I still find knitting easier the english way. :thinking: :lol:

You're just strange Jan. :rofling:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

sfavereau
06-20-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm left handed and I knit English holding the yarn in my right hand.

I learned to knit from my right-handed mom, but she taught me to knit left handed. I hated it and didn't touch any sort of knitting needle for about 20 years. When I picked it up again, I didn't think about it and started knitting English with the yarn in my right hand. Weird!

I crochet but I hold the crochet hook in my left hand and yarn in my right, so that doesn't help me with conti. I've tried conti and I get so frustrated. Like Jan, I only use it when I knit two-handed fair isle.

In my knit group, there are a lot of conti knitters, but the fastest one is an English thrower! We did this mystery knit night and had to do miles and miles of garter. The English thrower had everyone beat!!!

Jan in CA
06-20-2006, 11:53 AM

You're just strange Jan. :rofling:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

becjo
06-20-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm an English knitter. I try to do it Continental every now and then because my fingers in my righth and hurt so bad sometimes. I can knit Continental but too difficult for me to purl that way. English just feels so much more comfortable.

I love watching the way people knit - whether it be English or Continental - everyone holds their needles different. Its definately a personal preference.

Bastelmutti
06-20-2006, 12:43 PM
I knit in combination style - that's the way I learned, because I am Eastern European. At first I just thought that was "knitting" :lol: , then I when I learned about English style I thought what I did was Continental , and now I finally know that it's something different from either of those. The only problem I have being an beginning/intermediate knitter is adapting patterns to my style of knitting (because I knit through the back of the stitch). I am doing OK with simple decreases and increases, but they are different in combination knitting.

Combination knitting feels most natural to me because I learned it that way, but also because I crochet, too, so I agree with that theory!

I haven't learned English-style knitting yet, but I'd like to try it sometime.

Shandeh
06-21-2006, 10:22 PM
I knit the English way. I am very SLOW, and a tight knitter. I prefer to knit slow, or else my hands start to hurt. I have to take care of my hands and arms since I make my living as a musician. I had to stop doing crochet because it was killing my right wrist.

So, now I'm stuck with knitting....which is just FINE with me! :D

roxtarchic
06-22-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm Contintental... but didnt KNOW that until i found this website! my sister started knitting first and showed me... BUT... for some reason, when i did pick it up... i picked up a book & taught myself Contintental... which is kinda weird cause my sister knits English.

go figga :??

Kirochka
06-22-2006, 03:32 PM
English! I tried to learn Continental a while back (I've only been knitting really since January), but it felt too uncontrolled for me. I'm not fast, but I'm happy!

My mother learned to knit from an aunt from Poland and learned Continental, not surprisingly... but she had a French cousin visiting a couple of weeks ago who said she knits English! I didn't know any Europeans knit English!

brownishcoat
06-22-2006, 07:25 PM
I learned English, but picked up Continental around Thanksgiving. I am faster with Continental and I just recently got my purling up to the level of my knitting. I switch back to English when I'm doing anything funky, like knitting the first row after cast-on, increasing/decreasing and pattern stitches.

I only wrap the yarn for tension when I knit Continental. Oh, and my right shoulder gets tired if I knit English straight too long.

:thumbsup:

mrs desert rain
06-22-2006, 07:34 PM
continental from day one, which was about 6 years ago. didn't even know about "english" style until last summer. i spent an afternoon drinking champagne and knitting with a friend of mine and i couldn't figure out what she was doing. thought it was the champagne. but, no... it was english. :doh:

melinphx
06-22-2006, 09:14 PM
I learned English, but picked up Continental around Thanksgiving. I am faster with Continental and I just recently got my purling up to the level of my knitting. I switch back to English when I'm doing anything funky, like knitting the first row after cast-on, increasing/decreasing and pattern stitches.

I only wrap the yarn for tension when I knit Continental. Oh, and my right shoulder gets tired if I knit English straight too long.

:thumbsup:

Same here on all of that! Purling was really hard to "get". I finally started using my left thumb to pull the yarn down (cause my index and second fingers are busy... I watched Amy's videos over and over and decided she must have 2 index fingers on her left hand), and then one day while working on something (can't remember what, maybe just a practice swatch), I was just getting comfortable enough with the purling that I wasn't paying real close attention, when my left hand just took over, and did a little twist, and poof! I'd purled a stitch without having to hold it down!!! I had to stop and look and make sure the stitch was on the needle okay (untwisted), and after about a month of practicing on it, purling is now just as easy as knitting for me!

Braden
06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Continental for me. It is so much faster. Like Amy says, real fast when you go from knit to purl

EssenceRose
06-24-2006, 12:36 AM
My step mother taught me how to crochet when I was a young child so when I learned to knit I think I just naturally picked up the continental way. I've tried the English way, but it just doesn't feel right to me. :XX:

nicolethegeek
06-24-2006, 06:54 AM
I'm a combination knitter. I hold my yarn like Conti, but I do more of a throw rather than "pick" my stitches. I guess it's because I learned to knit off of English instructions, but as a long-time crocheter, I couldn't get the hang of holding my yarn in my right hand.

Braden
06-25-2006, 02:07 AM
I use contintental method. It is so much faster than English and is my preferred method. Like Amy says, so much faster when going from knit to purl stitches. Oh, and if you have trouble purling the regular continental way, than instead of pushing the yarn down with your mid. finger, try pulling it down with your thumb. That works for people I have taught. Thanks Amy.

brownishcoat
06-25-2006, 07:27 AM
I pull the yarn down with the index finger when purling Continental. I thought I was doing it the way Amy shows in the video, but I went back and looked again recently and I realized she was using her middle finger to push it down!

Nimmie
06-25-2006, 07:47 AM
I learned english knitting and I mostly knit english BUT I tried continental and found it easier to do. I just do english out of habit. :thinking:

DotMom61
06-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Continental!

I was taught to crochet by my Swedish grandmother many, many years ago, and like many others here, that may have something to do with my preference.

When I started knitting about 1-1/2 years ago, I picked up Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick -- 'cause, ostensibly, I was going to teach the kids to knit :figureditout: -- and this book only taught English style. I kept trying to do what she was saying, but could NOT hold the yarn comfortably in my right hand. Eventually, after finding Knitting Help, I figured out what to call this thing I was doing.

Interestingly, I believe all of the finalists in the Fastest Knitter Contest that I was in last week were knitting Continental-style. I came in a distant 3rd, btw. I found it really amazing that as I was sitting there knitting as fast as I could w/ shaking hands, I was completely unable to tell when my fast-knitting neighbors were starting a new row. It was like they never moved! :shock:

Jeremy
06-26-2006, 02:42 PM
English but trying to get better at Continental. Every once in a while I will do a dish cloth using Continental. I'm a looser knitter using Continental but I have problems with consistent tension.

DotMom61
06-26-2006, 03:08 PM
That's funny, Jeremy. I'm a looser knitting using English & have trouble keeping my tension!! :lol: