PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Monk Satchel

Nimmie
06-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Any body want to make this along with me?

http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/files/FolkBagsExcerpt.pdf

I started it and it looks like it's going to be fun!

kristinw
06-19-2006, 08:35 PM
OMG! I love that bag! :inlove: Are you doing it all one color? What kind of yarn are you doing?? I would love to make it. It is way more complicated than anything I've ever done though. hmmmm.....

Nimmie
06-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Well...I'm broke. So I'm doing it in Redheart yarn and then lining it. I am going to do it in Purple and black and maybe some blue trim...or lighter purple..or white. *laughs*

I've seen the dishclothes you've done and I think you can do it! The most complicated part will be putting it together...

rebecca
06-19-2006, 09:04 PM
I love that bag!!! It's been on my "to do" list for over a year now!! One day...one day ;)

kristinw
06-19-2006, 11:20 PM
You are right Nimmie. It does look like simple stitches. The hardest part will definitely be putting it together. And I've never done and i-cord either.

So I'm assuming I'd have to do a swatch to make sure I do it at the right gauge with whatever yarn I use. I'm scared of swatches and checking gauge! :oops: :thinking: I've never done it!

But I am getting more and more inclined to make this!!

Nimmie
06-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Swatch? Ummm...

*giggles*

I didn't make a swatch, by my bag is coming out "roomy". So it might not be a bad idea if you don't want a "roomy" bag!

I've never done Icord either, but I have pieced together bags before! So we can figue the I-cord out together!

Just think, what a cool diaper bag it'd make, all home made and wonderful! ;)

ETA: and Rebecca...lol..why not today?

Nimmie
06-20-2006, 07:50 AM
I am hoping to get by with the odds and ends of yarn I have to make it. I have some dark purple, some light purple, some cream and some black. I think they'll all look beautiful together!

I also have some verigated redheart, one has purples and blues and greens and the other various shades of light and dark blues and purples. So I should have plenty to make it striped if I need to. The hardest part I can see will be the handle. 74 inches in moss stitch! Not that it's hard it's just...I don't like moss stitch! LOL. It makes my hands get tired quickly.

I have about an inch of the first panal done if you ladies want to join me!

Also, if this one comes out okay using redheart yarn, I've got some brown and "Aran fleck" redheart that might make a second bag...

kristinw
06-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Those colors sound like they will look really good together. I have $30 in gift cards to AC Moore so maybe I'll head over there today and see what yarn I can get.

I was thinking it might make a good diaper bag too! :D

HollyP
06-20-2006, 11:33 PM
That is a great bag! I think I might just have to make it!

callmesusan
06-20-2006, 11:50 PM
I think I'm in on this one. I will make it for my BIL who probably hopes to be to be a monk in another life. :lol:

Nimmie
06-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Yay for BIL monks!!

Well, I started mine upside down because I wanted to get the moss stitch out of the way. (I started on the front panal) Of course, I had to work in some stripes!

My camera's not working or I'd show you pictures but I LOVE the way the yarns look together so far. I have a dark lilac and a pale lilac and a creamy off white. I think I'm going to do the bottom and the handle in black the white as the trim. (I'm using very little white in the stripes.)

kristinw
06-21-2006, 10:25 PM
oh that stinks about your camera! I wanna see pictures!

I didn't make it to get yarn today, but I am definitely going tomorrow. I like the idea of doing a dark color on the bottom so the dirty doesn't show. Not sure what other colors though. I guess I'll play it by ear and see what they have.

I know you said you didn't do a swatch, but what size needles are you using?

Nimmie
06-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Redheart to me is a kind of thick worsted. I'm using size 8 needles but I'm thinking about maybe going smaller for the gusset/strap to make it tighter. Maybe a 6 or a 7 if I can find it...

Mienna
06-23-2006, 01:01 AM
I'm gonna make this bag too, I've been wanting to for a looong while now. :) I'm making it outa redheart/mill end acrylics ('cause I like to spill things in my bags, so machine washable is a must). I'm using size six needles, and I didn't bother with a gauge swatch, but I also don't mind if it comes out big. I carry enough crap to fill up any bag, I think.

Mienna
06-23-2006, 11:52 PM
what would y'all line this bag in? Not that it's a real worry for a long time to yet, but I was just curious. Is linen too thin? Here's the progress so far. (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3485/970/1600/monksbagresized.jpg)

Nimmie
06-24-2006, 07:51 AM
I was going to go look for some sturdy quilting cotton/polyester blend. It won't take to much and they have all sorts of pretty colors.

I don't know about Linen. I've never lined a bag. :??

kristinw
06-24-2006, 10:28 AM
I got my yarn! I got RedHeart Casual Cot'n - its a blend of acrylic/cotton/poly. I love the color! For the main part I'm using a color called Majestic. This is it here (http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/266154.html). It is mostly navy blue. I got a cream color for the front and a burgundy for the trim. I can't wait to get started. I'm hoping this weekend.

I'm not sure what to line the bag with?? :??

Mienna
06-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Sounds lovely! A bet a cotton blend will help with the stretching too. :) I don't know what to line mine with either, but a quilter cloth sounds good to me. My next challenge is getting to the fabric store and back out with ONLY what's needed to line the bag. ;)

Nimmie
06-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Good luck with that!

That yarn color is beautiful! It's going to make a gorgeous bag!

JoAnne's has all their fabric on sale 50% off for end of the season. So I went to look and they had some beautiful quilting fabrics! I only had $4 in my pocket though and had to buy the rest of my yarn but I hope to go back later this week and get ayard or so to line the bag with!

I went to one of the local yarn stores today and showed the lady the pattern and we looked at it and tried to figure out the picking up stitches thing. She said she thought it was to make the seams stronger. Hmmm...
She also said I could bring the bag in when I got ready to piece it and her and the shop owner would read through it again and see what they could do to help. Yay! Now..I wonder what they'll think when I bring it in and it's being made in red heart super saver... :D

HollyP
06-24-2006, 09:42 PM
I don't know if you all have seen this but here (http://freddyknits.blogspot.com/2005/03/every-bag-has-purple-lining.html) is a tutorial on how to line a bag. I haven't tried it yet but it seems pretty straight forward.

Nimmie
06-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Thank you HollyP! I had seen that but I've never tried it!

Mienna
06-25-2006, 08:35 AM
I wish we had Joann's around here, hehe. Thanks for the link, that makes it look simple enough. :)

DianaM
06-25-2006, 10:31 PM
I just may have to join you on this one :shock:

Figure out how to add extra pockets for the lining and you also get a very cool knitting bag :thinking:

Nimmie
06-26-2006, 08:20 AM
I was thinking about adding extra pockets to the front panal...there's a big one in back but I don't know why you couldn't have a big one and some smaller ones inside the big one...very messenger bag style.

Nimmie
06-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Two more inches..two more inches..two more inches....then I'll have a front panal!!!

kristinw
06-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I am so jealous! I am just finishing up swatches to see what needles to use. I didn't want a totally ginormous bag! And the only time I can find to knit is when I am breast feeding Nicholas! Luckily he is going through a growth spurt and eating a lot!

kristinw
06-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Oh and I was reading the pattern and I am so scared of the assembling and finishing. I might have to see if the ladies at my LYS can help me with it.

Nimmie
06-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Keep in mind..some of those picked up stitches are decorative. I read and read and read over them and then realized...it's what makes the pretty bright red trim! The lady at the LYS I went to also said it might make the seam stronger.

I've put together several two panal bags so I think...you should be able to do the seam just fine without picking up stitches if you just do a double back stitch or even a whip stitch (which would be cute on the outside if you used the bright contrasting color) But...I'll have to play around with it to be sure.

Nimmie
06-30-2006, 06:44 PM
I got some fabric to line it today!!

And...ahem..I'm not going to be making Icords..I bought some buttons instead. BIG silver ones with celtic knots on them..

Mienna
06-30-2006, 06:45 PM
oooh, I can't wait to see it. :cheering: :cheering:

Nimmie
07-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Well I'm done with the front panal and about 4 inches into the strap/gusset. When you think about it, the strap is about the size of a scarf!!! I switched to smaller needles for the strap to make the weave a little bit tighter and I'm glad I did! (I'm using size 6 where I used size 8 for the panal.) 8s were perfect for the front but Iwanted a nice tight strap.

So...70 more inches of moss stitch. :doh: and then I can start the back. I'm determined not to start the back until I at least get half the strap done!!

Mienna
07-04-2006, 08:50 AM
I was doing so good on the strap, then I started a pair of socks. :blush: I really do love the way this moss stitch looks, though. :drooling: I was wondering if y'all think the strap will have to be lined so it doesn't stretch? Or will just lining the inside of the back do that? And by the strap, I mean the part that will actually sit on your shoulder.

DianaM
07-04-2006, 09:06 PM
I guess that whether you line the strap or not would depend on what you plan to carry in your satchel :thinking: But it would probably be a good idea anyway :thumbsup:

I was out at a Starbucks with Mom and my sister, knitting the front part of the satchel, and got distracted for a second. Ended up having to :frog: a few rows of it to correct it. It was sad.....very very sad :frog:

Mienna
07-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Eeek! I hate when that happens. *comforts*

Nimmie
07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Awwwww! I have had to do that several times too! Knitting in the dark!

kristinw
07-05-2006, 03:10 PM
I've started with the side pockets. I figure it's small enough to keep me interested! I was afraid if I started with the strap, I'd be shooting myself before I was done since it is SO long!

And I never thought to even line any of it, so I am glad you are mentioning that!!

I actually had to start over after about 3 rows because I realized I was ribbing instead of doing the seed stitch. Duh! :doh: I really like how it looks though with the color I chose. I'll have to take a picture later.

I figure maybe I'll be done this bag some time this year! :rofling:

Mienna
07-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm still just working on the strap, though, I'm thinking about doing the pockets this month since they're going to be purple and it's purple month. woot!

Nimmie
07-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Still working on my strap! Lots and lots of seed stitch!

Mienna
07-16-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure if I missed a post or what, but I'm curious as to what colors everyone is using? I'm doing the gusset/strap out of a deep red, the front with back in a dark green, and inside pocket and decorative stitches (the red in the pattern, I think) in yellow, then I'm going to do the pockets that go on the gusset/strap in purple to just complete the mardi gras theme. It's not really what I was thinking when I started, but my boyfriend helped pick out the colors and that's what it turned in to, hehe.

DianaM
07-16-2006, 11:08 PM
My colors are kind of the same as in the model. I wasn't in a very color creative mood when I bought the yarn, but since I like the colors, I'm having fun with them.

That being said, my satchel's on hold until I finish packing up my apartment.

Mienna
07-17-2006, 12:24 AM
I like the colors of the pattern to, but decided I'd use yarn already in the stash. Hope the packing is over quickly!

Rorshach
07-23-2006, 02:25 AM
I finished the monk's Satchel months ago, and I gotta say, all that seed stitch was not fun, though I'm planning on doing another, as my wife wants one. though, she used mine, and being as short as she is, it came down to her knees, so I'm making the next one 75% smaller.

Mienna
07-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Did you line yours and if ya did, with what? I'd love to see some pictures of yours if you have 'em. :)

Rorshach
07-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I didn't line mine, at the time, I didn't think of it, but if you all would like to see the pics of mine, here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156975&highlight=#156975) they are.
Mind you the colors are not something that I would've chosen had I the choice, but I really wanted to do this satchel, and those were the only available colors I found during the sale :D Incidentally the bag itself can hold up to about 20lbs (at least so far as I've tested) of weight, but I mainly use this satchel for my travelling knitting bag. And thinking back on it, I probably should've lined the bag, as that would prevent the needles from poking through. oh well, may line the next one.

HollyP
07-23-2006, 02:18 PM
You knit it in sugar and cream? What a great idea!

I have kind of put looking for yarn for this on the back burner as I had so many other projects going on. But the idea of making it out of kitchen cotton is great ,as my yarn budget has taken a hit lately due to all the project I have been doing!

I might be joining in this kal sooner rather than later!

Rorshach
07-23-2006, 05:15 PM
hehe at the time I didn't realize that it was kitchen cotton, all I know is that it was $1 a ball, so I bought 15 balls and went to town. looking back on it, it's held up pretty well through several washings and still going strong.

DianaM
07-23-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm doing mine with sugar n' cream too. They had a sale on it a while back and I bought enough to do the bag.

Considering how hectic things have been with the packing and all, I haven't had the chance to knit much, but I'm happy to say that I'm almost done with the front.
There's a lot of mistakes here and there, but I think they add to the feel of the knit, considering what the bag's supposed to emulate.
I've met my share of monks, and there's even two in my family. Their bags usually are weathered down and have a lot of personality, hehe.

I guess I'm trying to copy some of that....with odd stitches here and there :roflhard:

Rorshach
07-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Yup, mine's full of unintended Knitting design features, but then I was making it for myself, so I didn't really care. I got the overall pattern down, and it's functional enough for me to use. Now on the other hand, if I were knitting it for somebody else, that'd be a different story.

DianaM
08-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Finished the front. There's a lot of mistakes here and there, but since it's for me, I'll use it as a learning experience, plus I think they give the bag character.

Started the back and it's going smoothly compared to the troubles I had with the front panel.

Will knit what I can tonight, then pick it up again after I've unpacked in my new home ^_^

DianaM
08-26-2006, 12:13 PM
*bump*

Finished the back and flap portion while in Ohio and have about 2 inches of the gusset done so far.

Nimmie
08-27-2006, 07:13 AM
wow! You're really booking on the bag! I'm still working on the strap/handle. I've not been knitting much of anything lately though truthfully..

I think I'm going to move it from my quick silvers to some boye aluminum needles and see if that doesn't help (The strap..)

DianaM
08-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Hehe, I had a lot of free time while I was in Ohio. Now that I'm back home, I'll probably slow down a bit, since I also have a blanket to finish for Mom (I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind)

DianaM
12-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Finished the squares for my Mom's blanket just in time for my gallbladder to go kaput.

A week after surgery I'm beginning to actually see progress on the strap. I think I'm close to 12 inches.

hydeemarie
12-07-2006, 10:12 PM
This is something that will take me a while to figure out and it looks like such a challenge :?? .... Im so in its not even funny!! :cheering: :happydance: :muah: I soooo love this bag! :-)

feministmama
12-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Has anyone tried to make this in wool and felt it? :?? I know it wouldn't have all the moss stich detailing but I like the shape of it.

DianaM
12-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm allergic to wool, but it would definitely be a good felting project :thumbsup:

Mienna
12-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Been a while since I posted, eh? I'm about 12 inches away from being done with the gusset/strap, I'm so ready to be done with it too. I think Ill do something small for it next, like the pockets. I hope to have it done sometime next year, I better get goin'. ;)

Rorshach
12-17-2006, 02:07 PM
This bag took me a solid month to knit, okay, not solid, but I knit it while I was at work at Dell. kept my mind off the screamin' customers.

Mienna
12-22-2006, 11:22 PM
I finally finished the gusset/strap!! I'm so excited, I think the rest of the bag will go by very quickly now that that's done.

DianaM
12-30-2006, 12:00 AM
:yay: on finishing the strap!! That's where I'm stuck right now. I'm in something of a knitter's block, hehe.

The front and back will go very quickly :thumbsup: