PDA

View Full Version : Can circulars totally replace straights?

skNYC
06-20-2006, 01:33 PM
that is, can I do away with spns and dpns.

Jan in CA
06-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Well, technically yes. You can use magic loop or two circs in the place of DPNs and of course you can use circs in place of straights. Now that I learned how to use DPNs though I prefer them for some things. I'm still learning though.

Jenelle
06-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Circular needles CAN replace straights. They are awesome for bigger projects such as a blanket or knitting wide panels. But you can knit back and forth on circ's like you do regular straight needles, you don't connect though.

And the best part about circ's is that you'll never forget a needle! ;)

brendajos
06-20-2006, 01:51 PM
well i think you are still going to want to keep your DPNs around for things like icord at the very least....but i have never bought regular straight SPNs...never even attempted to use them.

rebecca
06-20-2006, 03:39 PM
I use circs almost exclusively...like bren said, my dpns are the only other needles I use. As a matter of fact, I'm going to order some of the cool new dpns from knitpicks...and the interchangeable set ;)

KellyK
06-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Yup.... I only use circs and DPNs. In fact, when I have tried to teach beginners' classes at the LYS, I ALWAYS drop the right needle! :roflhard:

cozy
06-20-2006, 04:14 PM
I guess so, but it's something about the "tradition" of straights that keep them my favorites.

jessi_9783
06-20-2006, 05:51 PM
I only own one pair of straights and they came in a how to knit kit. I use circs exclusively. As for DPNs, I don't own a single set. For icord I just use my Denise's without the cord. For small diameter knitting I use the MagicLoop method.

Hey Rebecca, I just placed my order for the KnitPicks interchangeables. I can't wait to get them. I hope I like them better than my crappy Boye set.

sfavereau
06-20-2006, 06:03 PM
I use circular needles and dpns almost exclusively, but straights tend to be really good for intarsia!

skNYC
06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Hey Rebecca, I just placed my order for the KnitPicks interchangeables. I can't wait to get them. I hope I like them better than my crappy Boye set.

Why do you want 3 interchangable sets? Are you like me a shopping addict, or it is necessary for certain projects?

Ingrid
06-20-2006, 09:24 PM
I use circular needles and dpns almost exclusively, but straights tend to be really good for intarsia!

I was going to say circs for everything, but I have to agree with you on this one. I did a sweater with lots of intarsia and found that, though heavy, straights worked best, but for the life of me I don't remember what caused me to switch. I think it was just that it was much easier to see what I'd done on each row. (plus if you have a lot of yarn hanging off the back, circs can get caught in it)

misstialouise
06-20-2006, 09:54 PM
I have a fair whack of straights.. and I use them.

I LOVE my circs, and will usually use those.. BUT

When I want CHUNKY needles, I need to use straights..

And I LOVE my caseins!!! can't get those in circs..

I DO, however, want some of the knitpicks nickel plated needles... I just need to wait until after bub is born (or until I get my EOY bonus) before I can justify buying them :D

jessi_9783
06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
Why do you want 3 interchangable sets? Are you like me a shopping addict, or it is necessary for certain projects?
I don't use the Boye set because it sucks. Plus, I tend to have a lot of projects going at once. As much as I love my Denise's I love the feel of Addi Turbos the best. I bought the the Denise's because I just couldn't justify buying all of those Addi's in mulitple lengths. So I only have Addi's in 000-4 in a 40" lengths for ML. Also I love trying new things, my dream job would be product testing. :D

mulene
06-21-2006, 04:53 AM
For the first time, I needed to use my boye set along with my denise set on this project (bombshell from BGK). I needed the smaller size needle for the ribbing and now for the sleeve and neck lines.

It has finally given me a chance to use both sets properly on a project. I adore my denise, I wish they came in smaller sizes! The boye set was ok but not as smooth as denise - the cables annoy me a little on it, so little flexibility.

I also have a FULL set of Pony straights that I got from ebay. I've barely touched them since getting the denise / boye sets so I think I would have to agree that circs can pretty much completely replace straights (except DPNs).

I like my Pony set for straights BUT they are just too long. I also love the feel of bamboo straights I only have one or two pairs in bamboo, eventually I'd get a full set if I saw them cheap enough and short enough.

I'd like the try the knitpicks ones but gonna wait on what the reviewers say and then will have to find someone willing to take delivery for me in the US and forward them on to me ;)

IrishBaby
06-21-2006, 07:44 AM
Have you ever tried the magic loop method? Before doing away with your DPNs, try it and see if you like it. I personally don't care for it, and would rather knit on DPNs.

But technically, yes, circs can replace all other needles, and I use my Addi circs 90% of the time.

JLC
06-21-2006, 08:32 AM
I have aluminum straights in all sizes, but they just sit in a vase looking pretty. I haven't used them since about a month after I started knitting and discovered circulars work way better for me. I do still use dpn's, for small diameter knitting with small needle sizes (like socks) because the join on most of my circulars drives me crazy. I bought a couple of the new knitpicks needles in size 2 and 3 to try them for socks, and if that goes well, I may give up the dpn's.

kemp
06-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Circs all the way! I'm not even sure I would know how to handle straights anymore :) I do still use DPN's although I have used the 2 circ and magic loop for small stuff. Sometimes, DPN's still just seem more convenient, plus it's fun to change up methods anyway.

Shandeh
06-21-2006, 09:44 PM
I use all kinds of needles, because I have so many projects going at the same time.

Oh! And I LOVE to use the long straight needles for back scratchers! :lol:

skNYC
06-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Oh! And I LOVE to use the long straight needles for back scratchers! :lol:

:rofling:

gamma3
07-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I am going to be knitting a child's sweater. Can I use circular needles instead of straight? Does this change the gauge?? Does it make it looser or tighter. Thanks for any help.

SHEILA

Ingrid
07-09-2006, 09:59 AM
You can use circs instead of straights to knit flat and it shouldn't change the gauge at all.

If you are changing a flat pattern to a circular one, then there can be a guage change between the two types of knitting since you don't do any purling.
You can make an easy circular swatch by knitting about 5 inches on a circular needle and then instead of turning your work and purling back, slide the stitches to the other end of the needle, and knit across again. You can let the yarn carry across the back in a big loop.

gamma3
07-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the help. I am definitely going to try this and see how it goes.

gamma3
07-11-2006, 07:31 AM
I am totally sold on converting as many patterns as i can to circular needles but how do you determine the length you need. I need to cast on 120 stitches in worsted weight for a child's sweater.

Thanks

nicolethegeek
07-11-2006, 09:43 AM
If you are knitting in the round {no side seams}, you will want your circ to be about 4 inches smaller {give or take} than what you expect the circumference to be. For adult sweaters, I usually use a 29" circ. For my kids' sweaters, I will use a 24" or 16" circ. The main thing is that you need to have enough room on the needle and cord for all of your stitches, without the needle being too long that it stretches it out. I grab the circ that is close to the "size" I need, but still "smaller". Clear as mud?

DreamWeaver
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
I don't think that circs can FULLY remove regular needles. I guess they could sciantificly, but but not in my heart (boy, that sounded cheesy). But isn't it macical when you pick up the stright needles and you know that you are doing the same thing that hundreds have done before? I feel so cool when I realise that :sunny:

gamma3
07-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks so much for all your help. Greatly appreciated.

SHEILA

AidanM
07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't think that circs can FULLY remove regular needles. I guess they could sciantificly, but but not in my heart (boy, that sounded cheesy). But isn't it macical when you pick up the stright needles and you know that you are doing the same thing that hundreds have done before? I feel so cool when I realise that :sunny:

Well, knowing that a lot of knitting in the near past was done circularly - Like Shetland shawls and sweaters - sort of makes me think that if our ancestors had been able to pick up a circular needle they would've been pretty pleased with it. Like EZ says in her Knitting Workshop, "I put myself in the mind of a Cornish knitter with no printed instructions, BUT with a circular needle." I don't get the same nostalgia.

Of course, I could just be overly fond of my Denise set right now....

Braden
07-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Yes, because you can knit in the round or flat. I do not even use straights anymore, because compared to circs and DPN's they are so cumbersome, and I can only get the big 14" wich makes them even more so. If you really want to get into circular needles, you might consider an interchangeable set, but try them before you get them.

ETA: I just got a set of Susan Bates CRYSTALITES. I LOVE them. THey are now the only straight needles I use, but I will never love anything more than my Boye NeedleMaster.

Lieke
07-13-2006, 03:38 AM
well, I've only used circs once. I guess that's because my mom hates them, and till now, I only used her needles, which incluce only 1 circ (and now, 1 of me as well) But I didn't like knitting on circs, I prefer dpns. I noticed you all do your knitting on circs, but I wonderd how you do that if you have a flat pattern. Well, I like my straight needles for knitting, wouldn't want anything else.

Yarnlady
07-13-2006, 08:05 AM
I use circs exclusively. As for DPNs, I don't own a single set. For icord I just use my Denise's without the cord. I used my Denise's last night as DPNs when fiishing off the last couple rounds of a hat. It required a bit of futzing with the stoppers and needles, but it worked.

ekgheiy
07-13-2006, 09:27 AM
I use circs exclusively now that I have my needlemaster. But I still have all my straights. I should probably get rid of them I guess, but they have sentimental value - they are the needles that I used to learn knitting. *sigh. :)

gamma3
07-13-2006, 07:20 PM
I know that the gauge can change but does it change to tighter or looser when just knitting around with circular needles???

jessi_9783
07-14-2006, 06:33 PM
If your knitting in the round, and not flat then you gauge is will most likely be different than if you were knitting flat with the same yarn and needles. Whether it knits to a looser or tighter gauge is different for everyone. You are just going to have to swatch and see for yourself. For me, my gauge becomes a bit more loose when I knit in the round.