PDA

View Full Version : Pinched nerve in the back of my neck!

rosefield
06-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone, I am looking for suggestions to continue knitting! I was diagnosed with a pinched nerve in the lower part of my neck and I have been meeting with the chiropracter every day! Bending my head is a no-no for now because it causes the most unbearable pain in my shoulder and upper arm. :crying:
I am going through knitting withdrawals! :( Any suggestions how to knit without bending my neck??

Thanks for all your help!

Lisa

Ellen Edwards
06-20-2006, 08:48 PM
I feel for you!! I have a bulging disk and spurs in my neck, as well as Fibromyalgia. Right now, I'm having some experimental shots done--that I think will lead up to a nerve block. I'm hoping that will help a lot.

However, the thing that's helped me the most is putting soft pillows under each elbow. I just squish them til the needles feel "in the right place" for my knitting. Also--you have to know when to STOP for a while!! It's hard, and sometimes I have to use a timer to remind me!! You know how we get caught up in this addiction -- but it can cause us a lot of pain if we don't stop and do some gentle neck stretches and even get up and move your backaround some. It's a "gentle art", true, but it's not very gentle on our neck, is it?! :rollseyes:

Old Knitter
06-20-2006, 11:37 PM
I need to stop knitting and stand up and straighten up every fifteen minutes or so when knitting or reading or my neck will hurt terribly. I don't know if the stretching is a good thing for a pinched nerve, but it certainly helps with arthritis. Also, our shoulders tend to risse up and our neck lowers down into them....now and then force your shoulders back down where they belong. Good luck.

kellyjo32
06-21-2006, 06:11 AM
I had a pinched nerve in my neck in the fall and basically lost a lot of the use of my right arm for a week or two, so I know how you feel, and I know how painful it can be. I too was seeing a chiropractor, everyday for a while, and gradually the pain got less and less and my arm strength came back. The best thing I can recommend is to do the stretches they show you everyday!!! You will quickly realize that you can really help yourself recover faster with this type of injury if you really listen to what they have to say, especially if they can determine what caused it. But I will say too that it takes patience. It took me almost 6 months to start feeling good again. And now, I just have to make sure that I'm always standing up straight (very important) and that I stop whatever it is I'm doing if I feel it coming on. And stretch stretch stretch. From most of the stuff that I read and heard, unless there was a distinct accident, or event that happened to cause it, poor posture is one of the leading casues.

rosefield
06-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! I had actually been feeling tingling and soreness in my neck for quite some time and then one day, after weeding my flower garden, my neck and shoulder hurt so bad I could barely stand it! I can't sleep because lying down is too painful..in the past, I have dealt with periodic insomnia by knitting!! Anyway, the chiropracter assures me it will get better, it just takes time. I have so many knitting projects I had hoped to finish this summer!!

Thanks again for all your advice!

Lisa

kellyjo32
06-21-2006, 01:09 PM
That's exactly what happened to me. Lots of tingly in my arm and fingers, stemming from my neck, then one day, I couldn't function at all. The pain was unbearable and I couldn't hardly lift my arm. I couldn't get an appt with the chiro for 4 days, weekend and holiday, so when the offices finally opened back up I went to the chiro for 2 days, and couldn't take the pain anymore, so I got pain killers (oxycodone) from my reg doc, which took the edge off at least. I was only on them for about a week before the chiro started to work, and the pain started to ease. Although it does take a while to feel normal again, there is hope!!