PDA

View Full Version : OT - Piano Music

Shandeh
06-22-2006, 03:17 AM
Here is a gift for all you classical music lovers! :present:

I worked on a keyboard midi file tonight of Debussy's First Arabesque.
(It has a couple mistakes, but I'm gonna let it slide....I know you guys will forgive me.)

My husband gave me a nice keyboard for Christmas a couple years ago, and I'm still learning how to record and make midi files.
It's fun! :mrgreen:

When this page opens up, be sure to click the "play" button on the image that appears on the screen.
It looks like a sideways pyramid. >

Link (http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gL6aRG2LUeMG7fSHYzu_nIkrq0uDHPaLkJKy61Pccn17ZZZ6Wk aUcVliRYX4Zxhwxdemp-YiOy4Rb7sgxBf9/Debussy%20First%20Arabesque.MID)

Danielle
06-22-2006, 09:11 AM
The link won't work for me....it says file not found.

rebecca
06-22-2006, 10:03 AM
:( same with me

feministmama
06-22-2006, 10:30 AM
me too :(

Shandeh
06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Bummer! It worked last night! I just re-posted it. Hopefully it will work now!
Link (http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gL6aRG2LUeMG7fSHYzu_nIkrq0uDHPaLkJKy61Pccn17ZZZ6Wk aUcVliRYX4Zxhwxdemp-YiOy4Rb7sgxBf9/Debussy%20First%20Arabesque.MID)

I'll try to put it on my website tonight in a better way. I'm still learning how to do that.

DianaM
06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
:shock: Oooooooh you made my mornin'.

My mom used to play the piano a lot when we were children. I still go into never-never-land when I hear someone playing Chopin.

Shandeh
06-22-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm so glad the link worked! I'm also glad you enjoyed listening.

Take care! :D

jdee
06-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Beautiful!! :thumbsup: Sounds like wonderful music to knit by. :XX:

Shandeh
06-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks jdee! That is one of my favorites. I love to play it. :D

Shandeh
06-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Okey-dokey. It's all fixed now!

I put a bunch of music files on my website last night. I never slept a wink, because I was having so much fun. I'm going to bed now.

Have fun listening to my piano music! :D

http://www.geocities.com/unkoine/Midi_Files.html?1151062952090

Secksiebrat
06-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Wow very beautiful. I wish I could play better. I took lessons when I was 5 but my teacher died not long after I started. I can read music really well, just don't have anyone to really teach me how to play the piano beyond just notes :)

~danielle~

Shandeh
06-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Bless your heart. Well, if you lived near me, I would be glad to teach you. I love to work with students of ALL ages.

I've made lots of friends by teaching adults. Our biggest accomplishment each week is focusing on piano instead of talking about our lives! :)

Ingrid
06-23-2006, 02:58 PM
I finally had a chance to try this. I LOVE listening when I'm at the computer. I have a feeling I'll become quite familiar with your playing. Beautiful! :heart:

Shandeh
06-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Aw Ingrid! I feel like we're becoming sisters here. It's so cool to share my love of music with all of you.

I've been playing piano since I was 11 years old. I started begging my mother for lessons since I was 5, but she said that it would be a waste of money. (I was begging for dance lessons too, and didn't get that either.)

When I was a young girl, I was SO in love with music. I admired anyone that could play piano. I just wanted to be a part of it so bad. Whenever anyone was playing piano, I would just stand there and stare.

My favorite class in school was music time, and our music teacher was Rebecca Kay. I loved her so much. One day, when I was in the 3rd grade, I took a song to class that I had written. She asked me to sing it for her, and I did. She was so encouraging. She sang it with me, and then told me it was a beautiful song.

The next day, she brought it back to me and showed me the notes she had written on a sheet of manuscript paper. She had written an accompaniment for my song! She asked me to sing it during every classes year-end assembly, and I agreed! I was SO excited!

Our school had 8 grades (1st through 8th), so I was able to stay out of class all day and sing that song over and over. It was the happiest day of my life. To make things even better, Mrs. Kay put a copy of my song on a bulletin board in the school. I felt like a Superstar! She was really a special lady.

She wrote a letter to my mother and said, "GET THIS GIRL IN PIANO LESSONS!" My mother finally agreed, but she wasn't going to buy a piano. No...that would be a waste of money. So, I started piano lessons (FINALLY) while practicing every day on a little tiny chord organ.

I LOVED lessons, and was flying through my books. One day, I was having trouble with one piece, and my teacher asked why. I told her, "Well I don't have all these keys to practice with at home." She asked what I was practicing with, and then she freaked out! She called my mother right then and there and said, "GET THIS GIRL A PIANO!"

So, I finally got my piano, and drove my family crazy practicing EVERY DAY for several hours. I just couldn't get enough of piano. When it was time for college, I chose to study music of course. And now, I make my entire living with piano, organ and voice. So, my mother was wrong. It was NOT a waste of money! :D

Ingrid
06-23-2006, 03:18 PM
I shortened your links so I could read your post without scrolling back and forth. I hope you don't mind.

I was sort of in the same boat as you, but I never did get the lessons or piano. I think if I had, I would have loved it. My oldest daughter had lessons, and I was learning along with her. She lost interest, and our piano was an old upright so I felt if I wanted to continue, we'd need a new piano. Of course, if she LOVED it we would have gotten one, but for me, no.

I'm glad you perservered and got to not only do what you love, but also have been able to make a living at it. Not many people can claim that.

I think piano and really good violin playing are something that I could listen to all day. Thanks so much for the link. As I said, I'll be listening regularly. ;)

Shandeh
06-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Thank you Ingrid! I wish I knew how to do that. ;)

Ingrid
06-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Link shortcut word ( post your link without the space after the =)

No spaces anywhere, actually, just to be clear.

You can use the url button on top, and get put your cursor inside the second bracket, type the = copy your link and click on the url again to get

Shandeh
06-23-2006, 05:59 PM
My son would LOVE to talk computer with you! :D

Ingrid
06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
My son would LOVE to talk computer with you! :D

:roflhard: Show him that last post. It's the extent of my computer expertise!

Shandeh
06-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Well, I thought I was good at computers.....until I joined this forum. You guys are WAAAAAY beyond me!

By the way, thanks again for the compliment. You made my day. :sunny:

Sometimes, I feel a little insecure about my piano performance. The mistakes STICK OUT like sore thumbs to me, so I'm never truly happy with anything I play. The same goes for my singing. People tell me they enjoy my singing, but I don't agree with them. But, I have learned over the years that it's better to just say, "Thank you very much" and smile. I mean, they went out of their way to compliment me, so I shouldn't be rude and deny it.

Anyway, my friends and family have been prodding me for years to put music links on my website, so they could recommend me as a pianist for their friend's wedding. At least I'm getting started now.

Now, I just have to learn how to record the ORGAN and make midi files of that. (I don't have a foot pedalboard for my keyboard at home....lol)

Ellen Edwards
06-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Sandy,I love your music so much! I wish there was a way it would just continually play while I'm on this site. I've always been a Chopin fan, --actaually, there aren't too amny composers I don't like---and as I pm'd you, I've played since I was a very little girl. But I played by ear so long, that even after I took lessons, I couldn't really read like I wanted to be able to. We had an old piano at home, and my Mom played-but just by ear. We couldn't afford lessons at all, but the wonderful Jr. Woman's club in my town heard about this little girl who could play, and they paid for my lessons for 6 years!! Isn't that somehting??? I'm still amazed and thankful at their generosity!!

If you can read music well--you can play what's put before you perfectly--if you play by ear, you can make a pretty good attempt, but the composer would KNOW that you werent playing what he wrote. I wish I could have had you as a teacher!! I think you'd have realized I was only playing what I heard--and my teacher didn't--although I took 6 years!!
Now, if Amy could just somehow put you onsite playing---that would be YUMMY!! :thumbsup: :cheering:

Shandeh
06-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Aw Trudy, you're so sweet! :D Mwa! XOXO (I wish we had an icon of a smiley blowing a kiss!)

Thanks for the compliment. The only thing I don't like about the midi files is that they are "MIDI" files, and not wave files. That's the next thing I want to learn. It would be nice to make it sound more real. It might take me another year, but I'll learn how to do it.

I think it is SO cool that your lessons were provided in such a wonderful way! You were so lucky. My mother had to pay for mine. I remember that they were 30 dollars a month, and she was also paying 15 dollars a month for my braces (or maybe it was the other way around). So, I cost her 45 dollars a month, except for food, clothes and doctor bills. And we grew a lot of our own food in our garden. :lol:

It's so funny that you say I would probably notice if you were playing by ear. You're probably right.

One of my students does that. She can play pretty much ANYTHING by ear, but can hardly read a note. Whenever I give her a new piece, she'll say, "Will you play it for me?" And I refuse. Then, I tell her to try the first few measures. She plops her hands on the keyboard and starts just playing some notes, looking at me out of the corner of her eye to see my expression. (She knows that if the notes are wrong, I'll react a little bit.)

None of the notes are right. Her hands are not even in the right position. So, I pull out the keyboard chart and place it behind the keys and tell her to look at the first note and find it. After a few seconds, she'll figure out the first note for the right hand. Then, she'll find the first note for the left hand. Then, I'll tell her to try again. After a few attempts, she finally gets it. I still refuse to play it for her though, because I know she'll just copy me! ;)

She's getting a little better, but she doesn't practice enough. She prefers to just play what she wants. Oh well...at least I'm trying! :rollseyes:

Ellen Edwards
06-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Sandy--I REALLY wish I'd had you as a piano teacher!! My teacher (ahem, had a drinking problem) just didn't seem to "get it" that I was NOT learning the notes!! It made it SO hard on me when a friend of mine and I played duets together, because I really had to concentrate to "hear" what my notes were supposed to be! I really hate it now that I didn't scream""HEY, LADY!!! I"M JUST FAKING!!!!!", then I'd KNOW how to play things correctly!!

I'm glad youre making your student do it right!

brownishcoat
06-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Sandy, when we started band in the 6th grade, the first month or so was a course in "Music Theory". Perhaps there's an online resource that could help your student? Being able to play both ways would really be an advantage.

I didn't really need it, because I'd taken piano lessons for a couple of years, and I was bored because the other kids took longer to "get it". ;)

Shandeh
06-27-2006, 01:17 PM
I use Music Theory with all my students, but this one is a rebel in more ways than one. She conveniently "forgets" her theory book every week. I also recommend an online piano tutor for my students, so I've got that base covered as well.
http://www.pianonanny.com/

I'll just keep trying!

brownishcoat
06-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I understand!

As long as her parents are satisfied with her progress, I guess it's OK.

Shandeh
06-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Her parents really don't communicate with me that much, and they keep paying for lessons, so I guess they're okay with it. I'm not too satisfied, though. But....that happens with some students.

I've been teaching now for about 7 years, and I've seen lots of different types of students. Some of them practice a lot, and others never open a book. But, they keep coming to lessons, and they enjoy the time I spend with them each week. I tell their parents if I never see any improvement, so I'm doing my part.

skNYC
06-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Hey Sandy, can you teach me? The musics are beautiful. You are amazing. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
06-27-2006, 10:37 PM
You're so sweet. I wish I could teach you. But, I doubt that either of us could afford the trip each week. lol

Thanks for the compliment! :D