PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of snobbery...

callmesusan
06-22-2006, 10:09 PM
I will still go for acrylic if it fits the project and the budget (Although I knit with it very discreetly, what with the snob effect with some knitters). But, last night, as I was gnawing my way through a piece of Cadbury chocolate, I realized that I have become a chocolate snob!

Since learning that 70% chocolate is brain food, we always have a bar of it in the house. On an emergency run to the nearest QuickieMart last night, the best I could do was a Dark Choc Cadbury bar. I thought, hmmm, I used to eat Cadbury for special occaisions, so it must be good.

Well, no. It was like chewing on a chocolate scented candle! It had happened; I had become a snob. :doh:

miccisue
06-22-2006, 10:12 PM
I personally find the Dove dark chocolate to die for!!! :inlove:

Julie
06-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Me too...I'm all about Dove...Hershey's just doesn't do it for me anymore! ;)

robynbird
06-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Dove is the best!!!

misstialouise
06-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Ahh.. Chocolate snobbery...

:D

I'm one of the biggest chocolate snobs I know.. :D If it's not at LEAST 60% cocoa (over 75% is better), then I just refuse to eat it.

I won't touch Cadbury's, Nestle or Dove.

It has to be at the very BARE minimum Lindt chocolate.

I'm very fortunate to work surrounded by couture chocolate places.

Lindt being one
Haigh's (which is an Australian family owned hand made chocolate)
Max Brenner
Jeff de Bruge (which is a French chocoleitere <sp??>)

Also, single origin Equadorian DARK chocolate is amongst my favourites..

My favourite after lunch finisher is a piece of Lindt 99% dark chocolate with a shot of espresso.. (coffee snobbery is another story !! )

So Chocolate Snobs.. STAND PROUD!! Demand quality chocolate!

My basic theory is, if it's available in a petrol station.. it's probably not worth eating.. ;)

IndianPrincessSIP
06-23-2006, 02:57 AM
See's Candy
Only See's Candy

Snob or No
Only See's Nuts and Chews

http://www.sees.com/Prod.cfm?CatGroup=00060036

AidanM
06-23-2006, 03:20 AM
Maybe it's just the low-brow way I was raised, but Hershey's is still my favourite. I've tried all of the ones that ya'll have listed, and I STILL like Hershey's better. Oh well. More for me if you don't want it. :D

mulene
06-23-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm definately a chocolate snob. Won't touch cadbury or any of that (though I do LOVE reeces peanut butter cups). I am all about the Green & Blacks dark chocolate. The milk choc is nice too but sometimes that feels a bit crumbly. I also really love some of the German chocs with marzipan in them. Liffi are a great german choc - dark chocolate coated marzipan with a fruit in the middle laced with booze =P The apricot ones are Mmmmm!

Old Knitter
06-23-2006, 06:20 AM
If the word chocolate is on the label.......just stand back 'cause I'm coming through!

XbelovedXoneX
06-23-2006, 07:11 AM
i've never had any high-end chocolate (except for the random Godiva piece here and there). I feel like I'm missing out!!

Jax3303
06-23-2006, 07:26 AM
Godiva has a Dark Chocolate truffle that is 72% cocoa dark chocolate ganache in a dark chocolate shell dusted with cocoa powder (called extra dark chocolate truffle). I LOVE IT. Whenever I'm in the mall I stop by a Godiva shop and buy a few of those truffles and a few of the Dark Chocolate truffles and a few Cappuccino Truffles. YUM! Perfect PMS food.

Denise in Michigan
06-23-2006, 07:42 AM
I agree with AidanM! Hershey's is terrific; love those chocolate kisses! We'll eat all the Hershey's and you folks can have the rest! :thumbsup:

kellyjo32
06-23-2006, 08:07 AM
My DH is a chocolate snob...dark chocolate only. But only because I feed the addiction!! Me....I love the Lindt White Chocolate truffles, just a little above room temperature so the inside is liquidy....yummy!

Angelia
06-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Lindt is my chocolate of choice, but I do love Cadbury! Godiva doesn't do that much for me. And even though cheap chocolate does taste odd after the creamy wondrousness that is Lindt, I do still eat it because, well, I can't indulge in Lindt as often as I'd like. I wuv Hershey's kisses, too...I can't be snobby towards a childhood friend ;)

mulene
06-23-2006, 12:00 PM
I also like hershey kisses =P Its a rare treat to get Hershey here =D

mulene
06-23-2006, 01:08 PM
EEP for you Cadbury fans ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5110674.stm

brendajos
06-23-2006, 08:00 PM
well see now that was what i was just coming to post!

LONDON (Reuters) - Cadbury Schweppes Plc said on Friday it had recalled over 1 million chocolate bars in the UK and Irish markets in a precautionary move, because they could contain minute traces of salmonella.

Cristy
06-23-2006, 08:20 PM
okay--I'm not happy w/ you all right now b/c I want chocolate so badly but won't eat it when pregnant.. okay...I do sneak a piece every now and again)...but....here's my 2 cents....I HATE hersheys although I do love peanut butter cups too!! I Love lindt, love ghirardelli, and I love Muntz (not sure if that's spelled correctly). We have a german couple who has opened a muntz store nearby and they swear it's the best in the world...I admit, it is lovely!
I never cared much about chocolate until once in high school my boyfriend's uncle, who was living in Madagascar at the time...decided to mail chocolate to my boyfriend's mom w/ a note saying that it must be eaten immediately b/c it wasn't just wax like the yucky stuff in the US--I don't remember what it was I just remember that it melted in my mouth like butter!

misstialouise
06-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Well, I TOTALLY fed my chocolate snobbery yesterday.

DH, my niece & I went to the Blue Mountains (about 2 hours west of Sydney), and sussed out at least THREE couture chocolate places..

Thick Belgian Hot Chocolate after lunch at one..

Then...

Some dark chocolate covered hazelnuts and some handmade truffles at the next...

THEN!!!!

Dark Chilli Chocolate in a block
Dark Chilli Chocolate Truffles
Dark Chilli Chocolate Toffee
Dark Chilli Chocolate Fudge
Dark Chilli Chocolate.... ICE CREAM!!!

:D

Needless to say, this girly is very happy at the moment.. ;)

CateKnits
06-24-2006, 06:31 PM
My basic theory is, if it's available in a petrol station.. it's probably not worth eating.. ;)
I wholeheartedly disagree. I LOVE Coke and Wonder bread and I find those in gas stations. And my favorite condiment? French's mustard. A six pack of Coke, a loaf of Wonder bread, and a bottle of French's is lunch for a week.

origami
06-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Cadbury made in North America does not taste the same as Cadbury made in the UK.

misstialouise
06-24-2006, 07:02 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree. I LOVE Coke and Wonder bread and I find those in gas stations. And my favorite condiment? French's mustard. A six pack of Coke, a loaf of Wonder bread, and a bottle of French's is lunch for a week.

I meant chocolate... ;)

Ingrid
06-24-2006, 07:05 PM

And almost as nutritious as Ramen noodles. :rollseyes:

CateKnits
06-24-2006, 07:49 PM
:drooling: It's okay, Ingrid. I tend to eat one decent meal a day and one crappy one. It's like when you have Kix for dinner...you know, the four Kix left in the box? :rofling:

Ingrid
06-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Touche!

cheesiesmom
06-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Ok Choco-snobs, I was reading a review of the world's best chocolate at some on-line site and it directed the reader here to purchase all kinds of high-end sweets:

http://www.chocosphere.com

Just leave your Hershey kisses at my door on your way to the store.

Never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

bjc1050
06-25-2006, 07:18 PM
I love ALL chocolate except the chocolate calcium supplements. Somehow they manage to ruin chocolate. Must say dark chocolate is my favorite.

Treeling
06-26-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm not a "snob" per se... I'd never skip chocolate just because it didn't have the right credentials (but some cheap stuff, particularly at Easter, is just yukky....)

that being said... I am a slave to one particular chocolate:

Scharffenberger. Particularly the Nibby Bar.

I always return to my Dark Master. The Cocoa Nib!

BinkyKat
06-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Godiva-aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
I like it best from the fancy store where they wrap your choice pieces all up and send you home with it in a pretty gold bag.

Or Widman's Candy here in Fargo... handdipped chocolates... ask KK about the Chippers I sent her with my square for TAP.
And also The Sweet Shop in Onalaska WI... I knew the sweet charming little old man Cecil that owned it and showed me how they made Turtle candies, and he gave me a whole box too boot! He bought only the best chocolate to make their candies. :inlove:

gimmesanity
06-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Godiva has a Dark Chocolate truffle that is 72% cocoa dark chocolate ganache in a dark chocolate shell dusted with cocoa powder (called extra dark chocolate truffle). I LOVE IT. Whenever I'm in the mall I stop by a Godiva shop and buy a few of those truffles and a few of the Dark Chocolate truffles and a few Cappuccino Truffles. YUM! Perfect PMS food.

When I was pregnant, the guy at the Godiva store in the mall knew me because I'd go in and get one of these truffles and a dark chocolate raspberry-filled starfish. :inlove:

I LOVE Lindt, especially their dark chocolate bar with the bits of pear. Mmmm.

Man, now I'm gonna have to see what's in our pantry....

CateKnits
06-26-2006, 11:29 PM
I had some kind of dark chocolate truffle with key lime filling once. I wish I could remember where it came from.
I have a collection of Sharpie markers that live in a Godiva tin.

BinkyKat
06-26-2006, 11:44 PM
My fave Godiva chocolates at their store in Mall of America is the little dark chocolate cups with fresh raspberries inside then drizzled with more chocolate... NUMMMMMM OOOOO

And their cocoa kicks booty when made with hot milk and then you drop one of their mint patties into the cup and let it melt! Most excellent holiday/winter treat!
:thumbsup:

SimplyKaar
06-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Am I the only one who is not keen on chocolate at all??

*feels uberlonely*

Chocolate is safe at my house; I will have a little every now and then (VERY every now and then ;)) and then I'm done again for months. I still have those little chocolate easter eggs sitting around and in fact I only recently finished the last chocolate letter that I got in December.

We celebrate Sinterklaas (http://www.thehollandring.com/sinterklaas.shtml) and a popular thing to give out is a letter (usually your initial) made out of chocolate. I usually get at least 3 smaller ones each year eventhough people know I'm not much of a chocolate eater :rollseyes:

Then again: I have never tried any of those fancy kinds you all are talking about but I can't imagine them being much better than the Swiss chocolate you can buy here :)

Anyway: don't know why I thought I'd share this with you all, I obviously don't belong in this thread :hiding:

BinkyKat
06-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Aw, you belong... it's not any stranger than my norwegian family background being wasted on my dad's side as they don't like Lefse. What the heck?
A friend of ours that spends the winter in Norway brings us bars of chocolate and it is THE BEST chocolate I've had yet!!!! :thumbsup: