PDA

View Full Version : Long tail cast-on: When to use?

mornnen
06-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi Everyone!

This is probably a really stupid question :oops: , but here goes. From what I have read, the long tail cast on (which I know how to do now and love) knits the first row. If this is true, does that mean if you are knitting stockinette that you should purl the first non cast on row?
Likewise, if the first row of a pattern is a combintation of knitting and purling, should you use a different (non- long tail) cast on?

Thanks,
Julie

brendajos
06-23-2006, 04:33 PM
i use the long tail cast on for absolutely everything with the rare exception of when i need a provisional cast on.

I also read when i first started that this would be a knit row but every pattern i have read says cast on and THEN starts the pattern instructions so i use it and just start the pattern with the first row information it gives.

Julie
06-23-2006, 04:33 PM
I use long tail for everything, unless the pattern specifically calls for something else. If I'm knitting stockinette, I purl the next row, if I'm knitting a different pattern, I just start with row one of the instructions.

But that's just me... :D

Jax3303
06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
I do exactly the same that brendajos does.

Ingrid
06-23-2006, 04:42 PM

Me, too.

Kirochka
06-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Am I the only one who has trouble with the long tail cast-on? I absolutely ALWAYS get the amount of yarn wrong, and it always comes out uneven, some stitches way too loose, others not so loose... :?? I've started doing a knitted cast-on just because I know I won't run out of yarn (except most times it comes out too tight, I'm noticing...).

Sigh. If anyone has any hints as to how to do this better, please share!

mornnen
06-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Am I the only one who has trouble with the long tail cast-on? I absolutely ALWAYS get the amount of yarn wrong, and it always comes out uneven, some stitches way too loose, others not so loose... :?? I've started doing a knitted cast-on just because I know I won't run out of yarn (except most times it comes out too tight, I'm noticing...).

Sigh. If anyone has any hints as to how to do this better, please share!

I think I remember reading as part of another thread, or maybe for the video for the long tail, that you need to have at least two, perhaps times the width of your knitted project. I just try to overestimate then then cut off any major excess.
in terms of cast on tension, I just pull on the yarn until my later stitches kinda look like the first. But I do have a tendency to tighten up as I get going and I just try to remember not to do that.

Cristy
06-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Me, too.

Me three. And it's also the only cast on I use unless otherwise specified that a different cast-on is required. I don't seem to have tension problems and over the time that I've been knitting I've gotten better at estimating the amount of yarn needed for the tail. I think I read somewhere that a inch per stitch is a good beginning and then learn to adjust from there?? That's roughly what I do...Regarding the tension--I think that just comes with more practice. You may have to accept wonky tension in the beginning until you are more comfortable with it. I would suggest using it on several smaller swatches in a row--that would give you some good and frequent practice.

jhelanee
06-23-2006, 07:29 PM
For large projects, I usually estimate my long-tail-yarn usage by casting on 10-20 sts, then pulling them off, measuring the length of tail I used and multiplying to approximate the amount I need for the whole thing. (I only bother with this for things with lots of sts, like sweaters in the round)

As for being uneven/too tight, I'm not sure much can be done. If I pay attention to what I am doing I can usually get them to turn out well, but if not they can easily turn out less than ideal.

sfavereau
06-24-2006, 02:29 AM
I also use long-tail for everything unless the pattern specificall says to use a different one. For me, long-tail is the cast one that ends up the neatest and most even for me. I even use it for cuff-down socks and I've never had any problem with stretchiness.

nicolethegeek
06-24-2006, 06:44 AM
I use long tail for nearly everything unless the pattern specifies otherwise {with a good reason}. It's the first cast-on I learned, and I've gotten pretty good at making it even. If the pattern is stockinette, I will purl the first row. If it's ribbing or some other pattern, I will simply start with the first row of the pattern. I usually guesstimate about 3 times the finished width for my "tail", and I will use the excess for any seaming if needed.

pug
06-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I read some where if you wrap the yarn around your needle about 20 times that would represent about 20 stitches. So if you had to cast on say 60 stitches would would just triple that length.

knitaddict
06-24-2006, 11:29 AM
For large projects, I usually estimate my long-tail-yarn usage by casting on 10-20 sts, then pulling them off, measuring the length of tail I used and multiplying to approximate the amount I need for the whole thing.

That's exactly what I do. I was doing the "inch per stitch" thing, but found that I always had a ton of leftover yarn. I couldn't stand cutting it off & throwing it away.

Since learning how to do long-tail cast on a month or more ago, that's all I use now as well.

Jan in CA
06-24-2006, 12:13 PM
I use it for most things and I just estimate by wrapping the yarn about 10 times around the needle and multiply. I usually had a teeny bit extra because it's okay to have a longer tail, but not having enough bites! http://bestsmileys.com/biting/1.gif

IndianPrincessSIP
06-24-2006, 12:28 PM
If I haven't balled my yarn and I have two ends available, I grab the outside for my 'tail'. Works great.

Saw on that a 'tip' somewhere. ;)

CateKnits
06-24-2006, 04:48 PM
I read something somewhere that said you can use two balls for the cast on if you don't think you can estimate how much you need for the tail.

Ingrid
06-24-2006, 05:33 PM
:waving: That's what I do when I have lots of stitches to cast on.