PDA

View Full Version : What do you keep your knitting in??

EssenceRose
06-23-2006, 11:38 PM
I was curious what everyone keeps their knitting projects in.

I sewed my own knitting bag with handles, but I've found recently with larger projects that the knitting gets tangled.

So then I tried a large plastic slide lock bag and it does ok, but it's not the best for storing my knitting needles and crochet hook in (it pokes holes).

What does everyone else keep their knitting in?

And on a side subject -- if you have a cat, do you also have to constantly keep the cats from getting into your knitting??!! Grrr! LOL

LOVES2Knit2011
06-24-2006, 12:03 AM
what i keep my knitting stuff in is like almost a tote like bag, that's for my yarn. for my needles i found a needle roll up tie thing at my local Jo-Ann store. but ya thayt's what i do

EssenceRose
06-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Hmm.. I think I'll be heading off to Spotlight (the local craft store) to find something proper to hold all my knitting essentials in.

Ohhh how I miss hobby lobby back home!!! I can't wait to step foot in there again!

noejusti
06-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Much to my husband's dismay, I keep my projects all over in the living room (we have a small apartment). My family gave me a pull-string project bag for Christmas that stands up on its own which has multiple locking pockets for my knitting and crochet doo-dads. I keep my crochet hooks in a roll-up pouch that came with the bag. I tend to keep individual projects sealed in plastic bags to prevent the yarns that shed from shedding on the regular yarns.
I am currently looking for some sort of cubelike Ottoman that has storage inside to hide my stash- the cardboard box that holds my stash is looking bad.
When I feel funky, I put multiple skeins of similar yarns in a big vase as a decoration on my kitchen table (they are pretty as a flower, but don't wilt or go bad).
My knitting needles are kept in a glass vase so that they are on display. I am an aluminum needle fan, so the colors look inspiring to me and they don't get bent or caught in my stash this way.

Jenelle
06-24-2006, 01:18 AM
I usually carry my knitting in a pinkish purple tote that I got at the Good-Will. I keep my needles and crochet hooks in a tub type thing that my aunt gave me back in march and it works great.

And my cat's DO get into my knitting. :rollseyes: I'm suprized that they havn't read out my stash yet.

Jan in CA
06-24-2006, 02:22 AM
Mine are usually just on the coffee table, but if I go somewhere I put them in a nondescript bag till I get another one. My cat doesn't pay any attention to my knitting.

snephenie
06-24-2006, 02:38 AM
I have the Chicks with Sticks bag from Knitty.com. I love it :)

EssenceRose
06-24-2006, 03:42 AM
I have two cats and a kitten and they are forever trying to play with my knitting. I can no longer attempt to knit when the kitten is in the lounge with me because he bats at the knitting needles and pulls on the yarn. LOL

nicolethegeek
06-24-2006, 06:40 AM
For me it depends on the project as to what I store it in. I have a knitting stand bag that I tend to use for whatever my "at home" project is. I currently use a small shopping bag for my sock on the go, but I want to make a small felted bag for that since my needles won't come out of that as easily.

Nimmie
06-24-2006, 08:22 AM
I carry my projects back and forth to work in a walmart bag... :??

At home they sit in a laundry basket by wherever I'm sitting. (Usually at the computer)

dustinac
06-24-2006, 08:35 AM
I have different totes lol.. I have the big orange knitting tote that I keep projects in, then the pink knitting tote for joanns.. and a denim tote like thing... when I put something down for awhile I put them in zip loc bags to protect for the kids/cats... I also one of those stands that pulls out use that too :rofling:

My cat loves my knitting.. I have a time with him.. He will hide under my chair and then I'll come to a wet soggy end have to find him where he is chewing on the rest.. a water bottle comes in handy... :rofling:

DoulaLyndsey
06-24-2006, 08:39 AM
For carrying my knitting, I just bought this (http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=12815&pid=383310&scid=383310032) bag from Old Navy. I LOVE it, it's very large and easy to carry with me.

Then for home, for projects I'm not working on and my books, I have a bag that I got from a friend.

I have the Denise and Boye interchangeables, which are in cases, so I don't have to worry about needle storage.

Mienna
06-24-2006, 09:19 AM
I carry mine in a duffel bag they gave my boyfriend at the hospital he works at. I'm a big walking ad for 'em, but it was free and a good canvas bag. I have 'em in two sizes now, so if I'm carry a small project I use the smaller of the two, 'cause the large one can get heavy when I stuff it full of crap.

Celine
06-24-2006, 09:25 AM
I carry mine in one of my knitted tote bags that I made. It depends on which project I am using as to which bag I will put it in. :happydance:

Cristy
06-24-2006, 10:06 AM
My my birthday my husband gave me a Vera Bradley bag ("tote") and I tend to use it to carry around my project b/c it'll also hold my keys and wallet. I've never really experienced things getting tangled...
I also have a cute as a button drawstring top duffle bag that my mom bought for me at an arts festival and I tend to use it from time to time as well. My addis stay in their packages in a shoebox and my boye needlemaster stays in it's case. My dpns kind of float around in my at home knitting baskey which is the twisted seagrass tote by lantern moon--it sits beside my rocking chair. I keep meaning to make a needle tote for dpns and such but never seem to have time...

Shandeh
06-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I have LOTS of projects going at once, so I've had to be creative. :D

If I have a project that requires different colors, or more than one skein, I keep it in a traditional knitting stand by my rocker in the craft room. That one stays put.

For the rest of my projects, I use baskets. I like using baskets, because when I'm on my way out the door, I can just grab one of my baskets and take it with me. I have baskets of all sizes, ready to use in my craft room. I got most of them at yard sales, thrift stores, or consignment stores. :thumbsup:

Also, one of my piano students gave me a BagSmith project tote. It's a "fancy schmancy" bag, so I use it when I feel like "showing off" my knitting projects. Like at a knitting meeting or something like that. :P

I don't have any pets to worry about, so I guess that's why I like baskets!

knitaddict
06-24-2006, 10:21 AM
For carrying things around, I use the bag from my lys... the one they give you when you buy something. It has nice handles, is of thick plastic and shaped like a gift bag. It's also got a cardboard bottom which makes it more sturdy.

At home I keep my stash overflow in a large laundry style wicker basket which is covered with a quilt. The stuff that I'm working with and all my WIPs stay in a pretty basket that sits between my chair and the endtable. That's where all my other knitting stuff collects as well.

rebecca
06-24-2006, 12:30 PM
I have a small denim bag that holds my current wip ;)

KellyK
06-24-2006, 01:47 PM
I usually keep my current project in my hands....

Virtuella
06-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I carry my knitting in a homemade bag!! And I am soo proud of it!

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1707/rosalin9cp.jpg

More details in my blog:
http://virtuella.blogdrive.com/archive/532.html

Lisa Kay
06-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Love your bag, Virtuella! :heart:

The one I'm using right now and LOVE is from this (http://stores.ebay.com/Janine-King-Designs) eBay seller. She is wonderful. I have three of her bags...two of the medium tote bags and one large tote bag. I just got the large tote bag and love it because it has room for at least one or two WIP's (I keep them in the plastic Easy Zip Ziploc bags), my Denise needle set, a few knitting patterns/books, and pockets that are perfect for my Addis and other knitting tools (tape measure, scissors, crochet hooks, etc.). My Addis and other tools are in see-through plastic zippered cases from my LYS...similar to pencil cases that kids might use at school. And even with all of that in the bag, it still doesn't feel too heavy, big or bulky.

She has a wide variety of styles, sizes and fabrics to choose from. Her store has a lot of "Buy It Now" items, but I've always gone to her auctions to get a better deal.

Here's a picture of the large tote bag I just got...

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/ea/74/24_10.JPG

samm
06-24-2006, 05:11 PM
I have many bags devoted to knitting and baskets for yarn and shelves and just yarn stashed everywhere! I bought a big leather bag, like a school satchel, with three compartments and handy pockets. That's what I carry when I have to go to an appointment and wait. I stash my purse stuff in the front pocket and my project in the bigger area. My books and long needles all fit. It was a find! But I have a smaller canvas bag with six compartments that hangs on my chair in the kitchen and holds sock projects. And a cool 8x11 one with art by someone whose name has slipped my head right now, which holds my affie square exchange stuff. Either of these is ready to go with me at any moment, depending where I'm going. I have large beach style bags from old navy which can hold enough to take for a holiday! And myriad other totes that have some wips in them. But the big leather one and the two others are the current faves. :happydance: Cool to see what others use! samm

Mrs.H
06-24-2006, 05:50 PM
My current wip is in a tote bag that I got for free from Harrahs. Since I'm still a fairly new knitter I don't have much of a stash yet, and my yarn is still in the bags I brought it home in. I've got to figure out what I'm going to store my yarn stash in as it grows, as well as my growing collection of needles and hooks, :?? Oh well, I'll get it figured out soon, I hope.
Linda

Nimmie
06-24-2006, 07:45 PM
I want one of Virtuella's bags! Prettier than my walmart bag...

VickiIL
06-24-2006, 07:50 PM
For projects on the go, I have a Jordana Page Knitter's purse. At home I use baskets to store the various projects that I am working on. My stash is about to spill out of a large cedar chest we use as a coffee table in my family room. (This cedar chest is they only way I have found to keep my cats out of my yarn stash...So far they have left current projects alone as long as I lay the knitted piece over the balls of yarn so they aren't readily visible.)

mulene
06-24-2006, 08:25 PM
I have a messenger bag that I got given free at a conference in January - you get it when you register. It is kinda cool - has the napster Logo and the name of Midem the music conference. Lots of pockets / mesh bits / pen holder bits etc in it - It has been very useful to drag bombshell around in!

cheesiesmom
06-24-2006, 08:35 PM
The LionBrand tote is not very stylish, but it's humungous; then various tote bags, dollar shoes plastic shoe boxes, Kmart plastic bins for the stash; yarn waiting in line to be knit in an extra large tool caddy, and my current sock in progress is in a ziploc bag.

cozy
06-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Whatever's handy. LOL. I have tote bags, baskets, small sock bags, etc. I've been trying to limit my WIPs to no more than 4, however, because I only have 4 "bags" I really like. Now I'm trying to get a full notions pouch for each one since I hate trying to find my one when I need it.

@virtuella--
The bag you made is so cute! :inlove:

EssenceRose
06-25-2006, 01:42 AM
I just went out today and bought a new... thingy... LOL

It's on a wooden stand that can fold up and holds a fair bit, including all my yarn (which I also bought more of today... oops) and my knitting needles. :)

I've been commissioned to start knitting a feather scarf for my mother in law. The prices of that stuff was amazingly high!!! My goodness I used to be able to buy it for $2 for a 50g ball. Today it was $5.95 a ball!!!

DeAnzaJig
06-25-2006, 07:40 AM
With the exception of a single drawer for my (very small) stash, I carry all my needles, projects, books, yarn, etc. around in a large canvas bag my mom bought me a few years ago. It has my name embroidered on the front, along with a picture of my favorite breed of dog. This way, I know that no matter where I am I will have everything I need to continue to work on or complete a project.

I have only been really seriously knitting for less than a year, and only work on one project at a time, so everything seems to fit so far!

Virtuella - Nice bag! I am always so impressed with people who can sew! My goal this summer is to learn and to make a needle carrying case.

mks22300
06-25-2006, 11:18 AM
I have a couple of tote bags from Target (they were on clearance, so I couldn't pass that up!). A Winnie the Pooh tote that I got for my b-day a couple of years ago is hold my HP scarf, but the scarf is getting to large for it so I'm going to have to switch bags soon, and I also have a lovely quilted bag that I found at Tuesday Morning that is great for small projects. I can't remember the designer's name at the moment, but the original price was way expensive and I got for half that! :cheering:

I like the looks of that Old Navy bag, I've been wondering what to spend the rest of my gift card on! :D
I also added that ebay seller to my favorites, she has some very nice looking bags.
And Virtuella, your bag is very nice! I wish I could sew.

knitaddict
06-25-2006, 11:38 AM
For projects on the go, I have a Jordana Page Knitter's purse.

I just HAD to check out these on ebay and fell in LOVE!! There were two different ones that I wanted - one classic and subdued and the other one that called attention to itself by being hot pink. I got the hot pink. I can't wait for it to get here!! Is she a fast shipper? :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

ETA: :oops: I just realized I quoted the wrong person! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Lisa Kay
06-25-2006, 01:29 PM
I just HAD to check out these on ebay and fell in LOVE!! There were two different ones that I wanted - one classic and subdued and the other one that called attention to itself by being hot pink. I got the hot pink. I can't wait for it to get here!! Is she a fast shipper? :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I think my bag arrived about a week after I had paid for it. But it arrived only two days after I'd received an email that it had been shipped.

DianaM
06-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Virtuella = coooooool stuff. After I get a hang on knitting, I plan to take up sewing. Then I'll take over the world!! *cackle*..... :lol:

The eBay bags are really cool, but at the time being, way to expensive for me.

As for mine...

I have a large beach bag that my Mom brought me from my hometown (Tampico) with the town's name embroidered on it. It's large enough to fit the throw I'm making right now.

For the rest, I went to Hobby Lobby on a day they had discounts on their totes and bought four small-to-medium tote bags that I use to carry smaller projects in.

bjc1050
06-25-2006, 07:29 PM
I have a knitting stand bag that I'm using to hold my poncho project. Have a clear plastic tote bag to hold my crochet project. And just recently bought from WalMart a cheap $2.88 tote bag which has clear vinyl photo pockets on the outside to hold my sock project. the photo pockets are great for holding knitting accessories.