PDA

View Full Version : Your other hobbies??

EssenceRose
06-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Do you have any other hobbies besides knitting?

I'm an avid scrapbooker and have been for many many years. I also crochet a tiny bit (my step mother is REALLY great at it). I've tried my hand at candle making, cross stitch, and also a few other little things (such as spool knitting), but my two main "hobbies" are scrapbooking and more recently -- knitting.

Do you have any others?

DianaM
06-24-2006, 12:45 AM
I just picked up knitting, so I could file that under "recent acquisition".

As for others....reading, writing, cooking, crocheting, drawing, tattoo designing, mask making, basic web design, stage and voice acting. And although it is more a discipline than a hobby per se, I did martial arts for a few years.

I would looooove to learn beading, scrapbooking and woodworking :heart:

knitaddict
06-24-2006, 01:45 AM
I've been cross stitching for over 16 years. For all that time it was my main passion. Since teaching myself to knit, it's taken over. ;)

I also do feltwork, some scrapping (although not often at all), stamping, card making and more. I've done a few floral things, but it's not my strong point so I tend to not do it often.

Other than crafting, my "hobby" is reading. Ds & I visit the library once a week and I always take out at least 5-7 books. I even read when I am knitting! lol

sfavereau
06-24-2006, 02:12 AM
For a long time, messing around with computers and computer games were my "hobbies". Then I got a job in the IT field and didn't want anything to do with computers in my free time. Then I picked up quilting and did that for a couple years. Now, I found knitting...

The other day, DH asked me why I didn't quilt so much any more. After thinking about it for awhile, I realized that it was because I can't quilt with my friends. Since we've moved, all my friends are from my wonderful knit group. Knit group meets officially 2x week and unofficially whenever a couple of us have nothing else to do. It's so easy to grab my knitting bag and run down to the LYS when a friend calls. How could I do that with quilting? LOL

Jan in CA
06-24-2006, 02:21 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/reading/5.gif and http://www.emotihost.com/ver1/computer1/12.gif

GrandmaLori
06-24-2006, 02:33 AM
I loved to do cross stitch, but after my cataract surgery, I have trouble seeing well enough. I' was only 42, got cataracts in both eyes and had to have them done. If I'd lived a generation or two ago, I'd be visually impaired or blind now, so I'm not complaining. I do love to play piano duets, if I can find someone who can KEEP UP with me!!!! My daughter is getting close. ;)

EssenceRose
06-24-2006, 04:21 AM
sfavereau, I'm the same. I used to love playing around with the computer but since I got my degree in IT and actually started working in the field, I no longer have any desire to do anything at all with my computer at home. lol

I admit that I still do a bit of graphic design/web design and whatnot but that's about as far as it goes anymore.

Lana
06-24-2006, 06:35 AM
You say: "5 months until I arrive home in Wisconsin!"

Where in WI? I'm only about an hour south of the state line.

I was an avid sewer/taylor 'til my back said no more sitting at the sewing machine. Sewing for daughters was wonderful. Even pants and dress shirts for hubby.

I started bird watching 20 years ago. Hiking is no longer an option, but we did a lot of landscaping to attract birds to our yard and it's a hobby easily done from the deck or window now.

I garden to attract butterflies and their larva. Hummingbirds like the same flowers.

I crochet too, but that's harder on the wrists, so I always have a knitting project going.

Oh yeah, I have a modest doll collection. My favorites are my German made dolls. I like to knit for the dolls, as they don't out grow their knits, get dirty (only dusty) and no "spit up".

nicolethegeek
06-24-2006, 06:35 AM
I have quite a few hobbies. Mainly I tend to knit and crochet though. I enjoy scrapbooking and sewing, so those are the two you will usually find me doing if I don't have a needle or hook in my hand. Other pasttimes are the computer, and math/logic puzzles... and watching LOTS of CSI.

dustinac
06-24-2006, 08:40 AM
I have tried almost every craft out there lol but knitting is the only one I've stayed with and will finish most things I start.. I use to sell my emboridery work at a local shop and that burnt me out on it.. I like to craft when I want too.. not sitting up half the night to meet a quota lol.. I've tried cross stitch, crochet, quilting (my mom's favorite hobby), I like to coffe dye items and create new things.. by taking one thing and coming up with a decorative purpose with it.. I've tried melting spoons into shapes.. till dh got worried about me using the stove and the house :rofling: ... tried plastic canvas, latch hooking, drawing.. painting...

I also like to read and watch classic movies..

DoulaLyndsey
06-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Knitting is definitely my biggest hobby, I love it!

I also like to read. Right now I've been doing quite a bit of reading because I'm training to be a labor doula.

I've done a little scrapbooking in the past, but I'm not that good at it and I tend to lose interest quickly.

knit-errant
06-24-2006, 09:05 AM
My first love is jewelry making! I do quite a bit of beading, wire sculpting, and chainmaille -- yup, as in the armor! -- but generally on a smaller scale. I'm working on a beading book proposal... now all I need to do is print out my pictures, quit being a chicken and just send it in, heh! :rollseyes:

Other hobbies of mine include crochet (I'm a much better crocheter than a knitter), embroidery, gardening, cooking, martial arts (iaido and kendo), video games, and cars (I used to be a mechanic).

Lyndalm
06-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, I'm a professional cross stitch model stitcher (is that the right phrase???), play piano, crochet, video games, quilting, crewel, some computer games. I think that's it. Oh, wait, beading. Now that's it.

Lynda M

javede
06-24-2006, 09:19 AM
I do or used to do a lot of things beside knitting(though that's what I do most!).
I sew and I'm even getting better at it :cheering:
But sewing takes so much more preparation time for me than knitting and it's not portable, therefore I don't sew much.
I also crochet, filet crochet(though first piece is still a wip), cross stitch(just began), spin and make my own knitting needles/shawl pins/stitch markers.
And if I have time left(ha, barely happens nowadays) I read books, preferably science fiction or fantasy.

horve1
06-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Right now, knitting is #1, and has been for about 2 years now. I've embroidered in the past, but not for a verrrrry long time. I love to read and I collect pinbacks and a select few Beanie Babies. I also love to ride with DH on his motorcycle whenever time/weather permit. And pro wrestling (not WWE!) is my favorite thing ever to watch!

Andrea
06-24-2006, 09:28 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/reading/5.gif and http://www.emotihost.com/ver1/computer1/12.gif

:roflhard:

Celine
06-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Besides knitting I love to quilt. :cheering: In fact, yesterday I put two quilt tops together that were made of all 1930's reproduction fabrics. They both came out beatiful.

I have tons of scrapbooking supplies but haven't worked on an album in a very long time. Once my craft room is done I plan to have a scrapbook work station so that will certainly help.

Last November I bought an embroidery machine and have fun using that on my granddaughter's clothes. :happydance:

I use to do counted cross stich years ago and just loved it but now I do needlepoint. I especially enjoy doing pillows. Its easier on the eyes than the cross stitch at this age. lol

janelanespaintbrush
06-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Neuron-taxing strategy board games, mind-numbing video games (especially cooperative ones), and uh... does eating count as a hobby? DH used to be a chef and makes lots of yummy treats. We both enjoy good food a lot -- probably a little more than we should given the way our pants have mysteriously shrunken over the last few years.

I've been spending an awful lot of time here lately too. ;)

Shandeh
06-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Hmmmm hobbies. I think that most of my life is centered around hobbies now. :D

Piano, Organ, Singing, Reading, Knitting, Spinning, Embroidery, Crewel Work, Needlepoint, Computer Games, Gamecube Games, Swimming for Fun, and Cooking on the Grill.

I sometimes sew, but don't really consider it a hobby because I only sew basic garments. Sewing is for necessity, not fun.

My husband and I are just starting to learn about making Reborn dolls. I don't know if we'll have time for it, but it's fun learning how.

I used to do cross-stitch, but my vision won't allow me to see the charts anymore. I can't do knitting charts for the same reason. Believe me, I've tried. I have all the magnification and lights you could ever want, but they don't help enough. It's just too frustrating to keep up with where I am in the chart. Why would I want to torture myself like that?

I've always dreamed of learning to quilt, but don't have time for it now because of knitting!

Oh! Another thing - my husband and I enjoy going to consignment stores, book stores, and antique stores.

mornnen
06-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Well, way, way, way back when I was decades younger (and I child) I remember doing latch hook rug stuff. That didn't last beyond 2 medium-size projects. I learned to cross stitch next, and that is the one craft/ hobby I have stuck with the longest and really enjoy. For Christmas I received an ott-light and boy, does that save my eyes when I do my linen work. I've cross stitched for about 20 years on and off, and for the past 10 years more on than off.

I also did a stint of crocheting--did a couple of pillows, and started an cat afghan that I lost the pattern for--this was about 15 years ago.

Knitting I picked up in May--what I like about it over cross stitch is that it is really easy to pick up and get started. The downside is that color changes are a pain imho. But I plan to stick with it because I like the idea of having another hobby I can do when I need a break from cross stitch.

Other hobbies--letting my two cats amuse me, reading, posting and reading on the knittinghelp forums, baking -- preferably something chocolate :lol: , and walking to counter the effects of baking with chocolate ;)

Julie
Pet mom

Ellen Edwards
06-24-2006, 11:31 AM
WOW--I have too many. I do ALL of the needlearts--or HAVE at one time, including tatting and macrame+ crochet, knitting, counted crosstitch,quilting, crewel,sewing ( I used to make mother-daughter outfits when my daughter was little). I make stitch markers and used to do a lot of beading. I sketch, do watercolors, make Fimo clay art, READ. I sing,play piano and keyboards, play guitar (and banjo) and sing with my husband in our bluegrass band --we used to play on stage some locally--now we just play in our kitchen or someone elses and for charity and "pig-pickin's"

I like cooking--especially baking pies and making up my own recipes for things. Seems like I do a lot LESS of these things since I discovered I could knit--with Amy's videos' and all of you--and I lovestaying on the computer at this site--and reading blogs (LOVE THAT!) , although I don't know how to do things technically (but I want to!!) My husband doesn't fuss aboutn it--but I know he wonders how on earth I could stay this interested in a KNITTING SITE!! I want to move the computer into our den so I can be with him when he's watching TV--then we'd be in the same room! We'd both like that more than me being stuck back here in my "craft room!" ANd I love playing with my almost 2 year old grandson, and talking with my 15 year-old grandson!!

I am sure there's smoething I left out--"(pant, pant), but I can't think of anymore right now!!

Mer
06-24-2006, 03:40 PM
My main hobby is music--I play the viola in a community orchestra and keep meaning to practice more. :rollseyes: I used to do some cross stitch, but never really got into it. Lately I've really really been wanting to learn to sew! I'm afraid of getting a new obsession besides knitting though. ;)

humblestumble
06-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I have a lot of other Hobbies...let's see...

I absolutely LOVE to draw, especially portraits and I like to take photographs. I also sew, knit, and crochet. And I dabble in many other crafts. Stenciling, making hemp necklaces, playing with clay, I've bought supplies for scrapbooking but haven't actually started yet.

And I'd also love to learn how to do chainmaille. With the money I'll be getting soon, I might finally try my hand at it. And I'd love to try glass bead making, but that's an expensive hobby. i'll have to stick with the less expensive ones right now.

Aside from the crafty stuff, I like to sing, dance, do pilates, read, and ocassionally I write.

Emeraldcutie
06-24-2006, 04:32 PM
The first thing I ever learned was crochet, then knitting. I got addicted to cross-stitch about 10 years ago-and still do that pretty regularly. My friend got me into scrapbooking (not so much as getting my own die cut machine) but dollar store style, with papers and stickers. I like to paint ceramics and sketch. I do alot of reading and last but not least for my anniversary last week my hubby bought me a Nintendo DS lite, so now its been me and Princess Peach :). Anyone considering one of these came systems, it is great, I hated the gameboy and the newer ones, cause I always got glare, then if you used a light attachment, it blinded you. This one has amazing clarity and I don't see a glare off my glasses with it. Great for the eyes and works easily as well day and night. Anyhow even when working fulltime I do way to many other activities

CateKnits
06-24-2006, 04:45 PM
I like reading, writing (not so much anymore), photography, and I used to be into making websites (now I'm lucky I can remember how to make a frame, much less a pretty div layer :rollseyes: ). When I'm at school, I get to take horse riding lessons which is sort of hobby, I suppose.

Virtuella
06-24-2006, 04:47 PM
I knit, crochet and I love to sew, clothes and stuff and things.
And I do read a lot.

newamy
06-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Well Knitting is new. It feels like a hobby since I've been knitting pretty steadily since March- although it's too soon to tell if this will be a long term interest...
I sew occassionally and like that process but there is too much stuff to get out and lay out and plan and measure. (I like how the knitting is portable.) I like to sew when I feel really motivated about the end product. I'm not a great expert but my things turn out nice.
I love to read, but have cut back with knitting. If I can lay a big book on my lap and am only doing garter stitch I can do both but otherwise it's one or the other. Anyway I have tons of books and will read all my favorite authors until I'm stuck waiting for them to write more. A spin off of reading is writing. Once in while I run across a very poorly written book that is actaully published and selling. So I think, hey I can do better than that! I haven't written a great novel but I have written some fun stories featuring my two best freinds, rather fictionalized, having some mysterieous adventures. My friends love those.
I like making and going out to tea. When going out I love the treats! I don't make scones and delicate cookies so going to tea shops could be a great hobby - if I had the time to travel around visiting shops.
When I was kid I learned to do needle point and latch hook and bit of embroidery- but none of those stuck. I'm not a real "crafty" person. I'm a bit amazed at myself with this knitting and finding myself haunting craft stores and studying yarn and finding cute projects to make someday.
I have a doll collection but don't actively add to it. In fact lately I'm selectively subtracting...
Ah, and I do web surf, I admit-- but is that really a hobby??? I find it as a means to an end- after all I Googled "knitting help" when I was just getting started and ended up here!

carollovesyarn
06-24-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm working on a quilt right now (my first), but I think I'm going to make it into a duvet cover with a light quilted layer (I just saw how to do this on Alex Anderson's show). I'm glad to see other quilters here. I'd like to get into smaller sewing projects, like purses.

Other current hobbies: Reading, photography & photo editing (digital nowdays), cooking (not as much as I used to). Gardening. Mom and I like to go to estate sales and consignment shops - we both like & collect pottery, and I like glass. I seem to be something of a packrat.

Things I'd like to do more of (make time for): spinning, crocheting, hand embroidery. Polaroid transfer & emulsion manipulation. Sketching & watercolor. Calligraphy. Bread making. Book binding & papermaking. Writing. I've tried all of these, but knitting has stuck with me the best.

New things I want to learn: Soap making. Jewelry making (earrings :) Dyeing fiber, thread and fabric (well, I have tie-dyed and inko-dyed before). Making natural dyes. Fixing up furniture (refinishing and recovering).

Things I should do less of: sitting on my duff in front of this computer! Or at least I should update my blog - but with what - a picture of the back of my head in front of my computer?? :rofling:

EssenceRose
06-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Hi, Lana. I'm originally from a tiny town called Tomah (near LaCrosse) but I'll be moving to Madison this time because that is where my mother and brother are now. :)

Lana
06-25-2006, 07:02 AM
"..............living in the beautiful country of New Zealand!!" :??

Maybe by next spring we can meet in person. :thumbsup:

craftymom
06-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Besides knitting which I'm fairly new at, I like to crochet, sew needle tat and camp in our pop up. I'm crazy about cookbooks and like cooking with new gadgets like cooking in cast iron over a campfire, using a bread machine, crockpot, a pressure cooker or my kitchen aid mixer :rollseyes: I also have a small garden.

Tamar Dohel
06-25-2006, 02:06 PM
I've got a soft spot for animals and am very interested in animal behaviour. I particularly love horses and my dream is to train horses with human phobias.

Other hobbies in this order: traveling (esp. to the US and yet to visit NZ) hanging out with good friends, eating chocolate, knitting and other arts and crafts, reading, gardening.

What about sex? Can I write that? It would have to go at the top of the list but if I had to choose it would come after my passion for animals.

fruitcake
06-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Besides knitting :XX: I really enjoy reading. Also I LOVE to write! I like to write silly litle stories, but my ambition would be to write a novel :D

I also enjoy walking, and I would love to learn how to sketch landscapes :thumbsup:

sara_jayne
06-26-2006, 04:02 PM
My hobbies used to only be having 2 jobs but since December of 2005 I haven't had a second job so that is when I started knitting.

Knitting will always be at the top of my list of favorite hobbies. I love to read (but knitting has cut into that). I recently started making cards (I most likely won't scrapbook) and I love cooking (my DH appreciates it!). I also have to say my dogs are a hobby with all the trips to the park and training!

jamiejeans
06-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi Heather,

I love scrapbooking too. I also read a lot, but since I took up knitting about 7 months ago the reading has waned considerably.

I started scrapbooking about a year ago. I scrapbooked my honeymoon and recently made a scrapbook for my best friend for her 30th birthday. Turned out so good I really didn't want to give it to her! :doh: And now I just have about 5000 more pictures to go, including wedding pictures! Unfortunately the scrapbooking took over the dining room and I couldn't stand looking at all the stuff so I packed it up and put it in a closet. Now I am looking for a craft table I can put in the office. Does anyone have any recommendations for where i can find a nice table cheap?

And I am thinking of designed some knit patterns for submission... we'll see. I tend to take on more than I can comfortably handle. Oh, and I would love to learn how to crochet... I think I will ask my mom to teach me!

nanonette
06-26-2006, 08:22 PM
I've tried out a number of hobbies over the years, too: needlepoint, cross stitch, sewing, quilting, and quite a few more I've probably forgotten about. Scrapbooking was my last passion, and I have a huge collection of supplies. But since picking up knitting about 9 months ago, I've only completed about 10 pages. :shock:

I loves me the knitting! Mostly because it's so much more portable and I don't get all caught up in having to be published. :happydance: