PDA

View Full Version : Counterpane Preemie Blanket KAL

dplantlady
06-25-2006, 12:23 PM
I've gotten about halfway through (95 rows!!!) the first of 4 squares of this Counterpane project (http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/Square/) and I thought maybe some adventuresome knitters might like to join me in this madness.

Here's the project:

http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/Square/

And here are some of my previous posts while working on it...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14404&highlight=

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14411

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194068&highlight=#194068

Happy Knitting everyone!

Diane

Ingrid
06-25-2006, 12:31 PM
That is gorgeous!!!!!

Jan in CA
06-25-2006, 01:18 PM
That's a beautiful blanket! If I tried that it might take from now until oh..forever! :shock: I guess maybe once you get the hang of it it would go fast? :??

dplantlady
06-25-2006, 04:35 PM
If anyone *does* decide to join my insanity...here are the corrections I've found so far. I've sent them to Megan (the author of the website), but don't know when they'll be corrected.

Also, I'm not using 000 needles & size 10 cotton thread...I'm using size 3 needles & what's probably a sport or baby weight yarn. Can't know for sure 'cause it's yarn I frogged from a sweater I no longer like the style of...it will wind up being 20" square; one side of one square = 10" in the needles and yarn weight I'm using.

The Corrections:

Here's a few more...grrrrr.....

Had to go back 5 rows, then 3 rows, but managed to figure it out using the chart...

Row 65 now reads: S1P, P63, P1

It should read: S1P, KNIT 63, P1

Row 67 now reads: S1P, P65, P1

It should read: S1P, KNIT 65, P1

Row 69 now reads: S1P, P67, P1

It should read: S1P, KNIT 67, P1

Diane

...and her (very quick) response...

Hi Diane,

The Chart is definitely what you should work from if you possibly can.
When I first designed the pattern I did it using a chart and for ages
all I had on my site was the chart. Then someone told me they couldn't
read charts no matter how hard they tried so would I please, please,
please write it out for them in words (for free, of course!).

I did write it out but have to admit I did not test-knit my handwritten
instructions. Consequently some bloopers have slipped in due to my
human error. That is, when I've proof-read it I've seen what I wanted
to see instead of what was really there!

I'm sorry it made you go grrrrr and thank you for bringing them to my
attention. If you spot any more please let me know and I'll update the
webpage.

Kind regards,
Megan

It's a challenge, but it's SO much fun watching the pattern emerge! Just takes a fair amount of counting, and we can all do that, right?

JOIN ME! :pray:

Diane

Jenelle
06-26-2006, 12:24 AM
That's a gorgeous pattern!

I think I may join. :)

dplantlady
06-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Hi Jenelle,

TERRIFIC!!!

Let me know how you're doing with it! It goes *really* fast for about the first 50 rows 'cause you haven't got many stitches on the needles. The worst is the first bobble row...takes forever!!!

:cheering: :D

Anyone else up for a challenge?

Diane

mintdee
06-26-2006, 09:40 AM
:thinking: I am considering it as I have a niece/nephew that is currently "cooking" and I have been looking for a blanket to make for the little one. Will it make a good size for a non-preemie baby when made in larger needles and yarn? That was really the only thing that was stopping me before. :thinking:

dplantlady
06-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Mintdee,

I'd say it would...the needles I'm using are 6 sizes larger than specified, and I think the yarn is about the weight of baby yarn or perhaps a bit lighter. My guess is if you used baby or sport yarn & something like size 3 to say 6 needles, you could get a nice size. With what I'm using, I'll have a 20 inch square when I'm finished with 4 squares. I guess alot depends on what sort of finished size you're looking to get. You can sorta estimate your final size by row 47 (halfway through one side, double that dimension for the length of one side of one square, then double it again for the size of 4 squares put together) or row 95 (one side of one square completed, so just double that dimension).

HTH

:D

Diane

Jenelle
06-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Hi Jenelle,

TERRIFIC!!!

Let me know how you're doing with it! It goes *really* fast for about the first 50 rows 'cause you haven't got many stitches on the needles. The worst is the first bobble row...takes forever!!!

I have to wait to get to the store and find a nice baby yarn for it. What yarn are you using for yours?

dplantlady
06-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Hey Jenelle,

probably a sport or baby weight yarn. Can't know for sure 'cause it's yarn I frogged from a sweater I no longer like the style of

It's a very light yellow, soft, but very prone to splitting. When I was frogging it & wrapping it into balls, I found it was 3 strands, untwisted, but it's working up nicely...

Hope you find something you like! There are just SO many lovely, scrumptious yarns out there these days...which is what got me knitting again after :thinking: hmmm....let's see, probably at least 30 years...

Someone was working on finishing a baby sweater at "class" last night that was made of "Velvet Touch", unbelievably soft & squishy...Don't think I'd recommend it for *this* project though. I'd say, keep it simple. Let the pattern shine!

Diane

dplantlady
06-29-2006, 09:31 AM
If anyone's started this, here's another correction:

(forging ahead!!!)
I've sent this correction to Megan as well, and since she's already made the last correction to the website, perhaps this one'll have been changed by the time you print it out.

Row 96: currently within the parentheses is (O, SSK, K5, O, T, K1)
It should read: (O, SSK, K5, T, O, K1) reversing the K2 tog and the Yarn Over.

:P :waving:

Diane

Jenelle
06-30-2006, 12:44 AM
I'll have to make those corrections! Thanks!

I'm still awaiting to get my yarn, I'm thinking of knitting it in yellow rather than white.

Any yarn recommendations?

dplantlady
06-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Mine's yellow, too!

I don't have any specific yarn recommendations...but I don't think I'd use anything other than "ordinary" yarn. In other words, nothing with large amounts of variegation or textures like slubs or thick & thin. Maaaaaaybe one of those baby yarns with tiny spots of color, but given that you're going to put some effort into getting this pattern correct, I'd use something that allows the recipient to focus on the beautiful design, not the yarn.

Since I've only begun knitting again after like a 30-year hiatus...I'm truly unfamiliar with everything that's out there!

Anyone else have suggestions?

I'll ask the folks at my LYS when I get up there again on the 11th.

Diane

;)

dplantlady
07-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi,

Just finished the first of the four squares! WaaaaaaHooooooooo!!!! :happydance:

It's looking like what I'm using may turn out to be a bit bigger than I'd originally estimated. Probably more like 22-24" square when all four are put together.

I'll try to get someone to take a pic for me so I can post it.

;)

Diane

P.S. Hope someone gets their yarn soon...this has been too much fun not to share!!! Can you tell I'm pleased with myself???

dplantlady
07-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi all,

Here's the finished [but not blocked] square...one down 3 to go...

Jenelle
07-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Beautiful! :inlove:

I can't wait to start mine! :happydance:

Pixywhispers
07-24-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm in Diane! I'm in!

I'm going to knit it in plum Encore on size 8's. I need something a little bigger. I'm also not a "bobble person". heh. So I'm going to ask a friend what else I can do instead of that. Anyone have any ideas?

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

dplantlady
07-24-2006, 07:24 PM
That's great, pixywhispers!

Wow! Can't wait to see it in PLUM.

I'm almost halfway through the second square...got sidetracked a bit with a steering wheel cover (that was really fun to knit!) for my mom & finishing a felted moebius cat basket for the monthly challenge...

Now it's full speed ahead before I lose any more momentum. It'll be hard, but I swear I won't open the bag of Christmas scarf supplies I purchased on Saturday till I finish this!

I believe Megan (the source of the pattern) has made all the corrections *on* the website, so if you're just printing it out, it should be all correct.
I have not confirmed this at the site, but she was very grateful for the help as she knitted it from the chart [gasp], not the written directions.

I have found it very helpful to make sure I have the correct number of stitches in each row. I was able to catch a mistake on the bobble row...somehow I increased a stitch right after one of the bobbles, but no way was I takin that row out :shifty:, so I purled 2 together on the following row to get back to the right number of stitches.

Good Luck!!! Hope to hear how you're doin with it soon.

Diane

Pixywhispers
07-25-2006, 10:32 AM
What a fun knit! I'm almost through with the first leaf. I'm just able to do a row here and there. It looks beautiful in this color.

When my camera is working again I'll post some pics.

And yes, I compared the corrections you have written up so far and they all seem to be there on her site corrected. :) What a jewel this pattern is.

Pixywhispers
07-25-2006, 07:51 PM
I just love this plum color!

dplantlady
07-26-2006, 06:06 AM
LOOKS TERRIFIC!!! I :heart: it! :thumbsup:

What's your yarn content? Cotton? Acrylic?

Diane

Angelia
07-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Wow, the work on this so far is just beautiful! :inlove: What gorgeous blankies these babies will receive!!

Pixywhispers
07-26-2006, 09:05 AM
LOOKS TERRIFIC!!! I :heart: it! :thumbsup:

What's your yarn content? Cotton? Acrylic?

Diane

Thanks.

It's Plymouth Encore Worsted Weight, acrylic and wool. Washable and warm, I love it cause its so practical.

jamadian75
07-26-2006, 09:15 AM
I :heart: :heart: this pattern!

Way to go Counterpane Crew!!! You guys are brave knitters!

dplantlady
08-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Well, I've discovered that I CANNOT take this project to work on at my knitting "class" ... Last week, as I got to the end of the first row I'd done while there, I discovered I'd made a mistake & had to frog back most of that row & do it again. So I did <sigh>. Then put it down, went shopping for a bit, then came back & picked up something else. Later, at home, after playing with some pattern stitches here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15877) over the weekend (what fun!), I decided it was time to get on with it & did the following mostly "purl" row. Counted several times, only to continue to find that I'd somehow "lost" 2 stitches. WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!~ So finally yesterday afternoon, I frogged back, stitch by stitch, to try'n figure out where they'd gone, and discovered that they'd gone away near the end of that same row that I'd already had to frog once!!!

Me? I GOTTA be a hermit with this one...and just take the Snuggles along for "conversational" knitting. :rollseyes:

Anyone else started theirs yet?

How's yours goin' pixy?

Diane

Pixywhispers
08-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Good Morning,

Well a friend brought a sweater over so I could write a pattern from it. This sweater is just adorable so I've put my heart into it.

As far as my counterpane I'm almost half way through with my first square. I also do not take it on the road. I just work a row or two everynight after the kids are all asleep. I can see this is going to be a longterm project. I have made mistakes, but am just adding stitches as I go and trying not to take it too seriously as it is still gorgeous with my little mistakes. I figure if a mistake messes up the shape of the square then I will rip.

I love it in this color. So so pretty. I am excited I'm getting close to finishing this square. I'll post another pic in a few days.

Pixywhispers
08-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Well I was working on row 90 last night and the end I had to make stuff up to line it up right, but just at the end of the row, so I probably missed a sttich or two. I should have time to figure that out soon.

The good news is I have 14 hours of knitting time in the car to devote to this and my lacy baby shrug this weekend. Yeah.

Oh and Diane, I love it in yellow. So pretty.

Pixywhispers
08-06-2006, 09:48 PM
So close! This is all I got done on the trip.

dplantlady
08-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Oooooohhhhhh, but you're so close! It's pretty much a snap from there...do try putting in those few bobbles at the top. There's only one or two per row & it doesn't take near as long as the total row of bobbles.

Meanwhile, I've been browsing pattern stitches looking for something you could substitute for that set of rows...You could say do a "something" pattern on two of them & do the other 2 plain. What do you think?

Diane

:thumbsup:

Pixywhispers
08-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah I may put a few up at the top, like a v shape. I will knit a few and see how it goes. That could be neat.

LOL I was reading over my previous posts and thought I should clarify. I used the phrase "on the road" to mean on errands, I do not take this on errands, but only work on it when I can dedicate my attention to it. And I just took it on the road so thought I'd better explain. :)

At the top I've also considered a row of (yo, and k2tog). I've mixed garter with stst, so it looks like more stripes. I'll take a close up pic of that once I'm through. Hows yours going Diane?

dplantlady
08-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Hi Candace,

Well, I found the mistake I'd made...but haven't done much more than that since... :oops: don't know why, :shrug: maybe it's just been too bloody hot here...but it's cooling off a bit now, so I'll get back to it soon...GOT to before I lose interest. I did find a pattern you may be able to use to substitue for the bobble row, but I want to check the number of rows b4 sending it.

Diane

Pixywhispers
08-18-2006, 08:31 PM
When I started this I had not thought very far through it. I forgot that I may need more yarn. Lets just say I was too busy planning the school year out. Anyway good news is the LYS does have some more. And are sending it. Yeah. Then they called back, they dont have enough. :( So I have to wait for it. :( And I really want to get started on the second one.

Anyway here is the first finally complete with ends weaved in and everything. :)

I am so excited about this project. Grace plays with this one square already.

dplantlady
08-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Oooooooooohhhhhhhh!

LOVELY!!! :cheering:

And it's a great photo too!

Frustrating about the yarn, eh? But I'm sure there's probably something else in the wings to keep you busy, right?

Diane

Pixywhispers
09-02-2006, 11:33 AM
I casted on the second counterpane last night and got to row 30! This one is so much faster and fun (so far). I've got lots of knitting and knitting planning to do today. Hows yours going? <giggle> all I can think about is getting to sew this baby together.

dplantlady
09-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Hi Candace,

Well, I've overcome the inertia...actually, it'd probably be better to call it distractions...I've made 2 other items in between...a steering wheel cover and a knitted net shopping/grocery bag, and finished another "snuggle"!

In the last few days, I've picked it up again & I'm getting to the second bobble row...aaaargh!

Before you get to your first one, take a look at this...maybe it would work as a substitute for the bobbles for you:

http://knitting.about.com/library/bllittlepyramids.htm

It would only be one repeat. The point would sit on the rows of garter just before it and the tops would then morph into the rows of garter above it.

LMK what you think.

Diane

P.S. Just thought of something! For the "top" section, you could turn it upside down! Wouldn't that look cool?

dplantlady
09-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Well, got through the bobbles pretty quickly this time! Even took it along to a party I went to today...did some in the car on the way there and some while I was sitting around listening to the chatting around me. Movin on!!!
It's always interesting to see what kinds of reactions you get when you take something along with you, pull it out and start knitting...
Diane

dplantlady
09-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey Candace,
Finished the second "pane" on Tuesday! HOORAY!
2 down, 2 to go...except I keep finding more projects for myself. :teehee:
Put together the 1st of 3 scarves for holiday presents last night & today & started on the second...just *had* to see what the chenille would feel like...simply luscious! UMMMMMMMMMMM....and mixed with Berrocco Sizzle. WOW! Gonna be hard to give these away, for sure. :woohoo: Got the yarns at the LYS Christmas in July sale.
Also, gotta frog more of the original sweater the yarn is coming from...
*AND* I'm learning how to spin!
How's yours goin? Now that kiddies are back in school?
Diane

Pixywhispers
09-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi Diane,

It is going well here. I'm steadily working on number 2. I'm on row 70. I'm going to take it to all my sons karate classes this week and see where it gets me.

You have created a monster. :) I just ordered a book called Knitting Counterpanes. I know the postman knows I'm stalking him.

I like those diamonds. I may use them on another project. When I was playing around with my "blank spaces" when I did stocknett it made my square look funny, so I kept the end in more of a garter stitch pattern. But I love those, so pretty.

I homeschool my kiddos so getting back into school is the busiest time for us. Things have slowed down and we are getting used to our schedule so I should be able to find more knitting time soon.

Pixywhispers
09-24-2006, 08:05 PM
My first one took 25 days with other little projects here and there and this one has taken 23 days with a lot less knitting time. It was easier this time to just "trust the pattern."

This week looks like a nice slow week for me so I am hoping to get in some more knitting time.

How you doin Diane?

dplantlady
09-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Hi Candace!

I'm ready to cast on for the third one. Just last night, I finished frogging the sweater I'm using for the yarn. For some reason, the first sleeve had lots of breaks in the yarn...probably because of the way I took it apart, but the sleeve and front I took apart last night are nice unbroken lengths. So, onward!

Meanwhile, I've finished 2 scarves for XMas presents and done about 9" of the back legs of a baby bunting in Brioche stitch.

Saw the pic of the new counterpane you posted...WOW! That book must be amazing!!!

I haven't really kept track of how long each has taken...I guess because I'm always getting sidetracked...I'll probably be working on another scarf & the bunting while I get going on the third square, as well as trying tiny pieces of pattern stitches, just to see if I can do 'em. Never a dull moment...if I get bored with one, I just pick up something else! :wink:

Diane

Stonington
06-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Good Morning,
Has anyone finished this project? I would love to see pictures of the finished coverlet. :)
anne

mwedzi
06-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking of joining in on this. I wanted to crochet my South African homestay family an afghan, but I don't think I'll get it done in time while it's still winter, which they should be well into already. So maybe I can knit 4 or 8 of these squares to make them a pillow or two. I'm thinking about it. The design is beautiful.

Pixywhispers
07-17-2007, 09:46 AM
S, I just started pane number three last night. Im gona see if I can beat my record! heh.

D, How you doin on this project? I have been in a knitting funk and found this while cleaning up my yarn closet and decided to have a go at it. And I remembered why I only usually knit in the car these days. The baby likes to "help". heh. So Im going to see how much I can get done during her naps. I really want to beat my 23 day record!

Chrissie
07-17-2007, 09:35 PM
That's so beautiful....it kind of reminds me of hardanger embroidery or something....

dewdrops
07-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Exquisitely BEAUTIFUL!! :heart:

Pixywhispers
03-23-2008, 08:45 PM
I feel as if Im unearthing some serious history here! heh.

I found my unfinished counterpane last night. I am putting it in my to do pile. :) ANd hope to finish #3 soon.

Is anyone else doing this one?

Candace