PDA

View Full Version : yarn for hats

Lindsey H
06-26-2006, 11:13 AM
I want a good warm wool for hats. These hats would be for men when hunting or working outside etc. Would sport weight be a good guage? What do you suggest?

Thanks

Ingrid
06-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Sportweight might be too thin. I'd go with worsted for the thickness without being super bulky. Alpaca is supposed to be the warmest fiber--something about hollow hairs holding the heat--but a basic wool might be more durable.
Cascade 220 might be good, or really any not-too-rough wool.

Jan in CA
06-26-2006, 11:39 AM
If you want it washable rememer to consider that when choosing yarn as well.

DK
06-26-2006, 12:21 PM
I have used Pastaza (part llama) and alpaca for my husbands hats for hunting. He really likes them and say they are warm.

Hope this helps,
Dawn

Shandeh
06-26-2006, 05:39 PM
I have LOTS of men to knit for. My husband, his father, my sons, and my step-dad. I have made lots of different hats for them, but their favorite of them all was this one:

http://www.artisokka.com/patterns/xmashat.html

You use two strands of worsted weight yarn throughout, so it is thick and very sturdy. It holds up very well.

Just wanted to give my recommendation on a pattern if you haven't chosen one yet.

Here's my hubby's "floating head" shot, wearing the hat I made for his dad for Christmas last year. :D

samm
06-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I made hats using two strands of Galway worsted last year. The brims were wide so over the ears the hat is quite thick. I did have a pattern that I made up, and if you'd like I'll look for it! Just let me know! samm