PDA

View Full Version : Felted my Booga bag - now I have a question

becjo
06-27-2006, 11:20 AM
I did it - I felted my Booga bag made with my Noro yarn - it looks lovely but I have a question - when you hold it up to the light, you can still see through it - I ran it through 5 times! Is this as good as its going to get? Its already dry - can I run it through again? I'm afraid to run it through again after its dry - my friend suggested I just line it. I doubled up on the bottom and that felted beautifully - nice and thick.

Any suggestions?

mulene
06-27-2006, 12:09 PM
I think you could run it through again if you wanted. Lining it should help anyway. I'm not a felting expert at all (only felted one thing so far) so wait for someone else to give a more detailled answer.

SandraEllen
06-27-2006, 12:21 PM
becjo, did you throw anything else in the washer with the bag while you were felting it? I like to use about 3 ratty bath towels. It adds agitation and helps it felt up.
And yes. you can felt it again.
There's a pretty good tutorial on felting at knitty (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATfelthis.html).
It says not to use towels though because if they are prone to leaving fuzzy stuff laying around, that fuzzy stuff will end up in your felted object.

becjo
06-27-2006, 02:04 PM
I put in the washing machine along with my bag (which I had in a pillow case) a floor mat. It said put something in heavy. I also added 2 tennis balls to sort of beat things up. I may take my bag up to the LYS and see what they say about it. I know next time I make it, I'm doubling up on the yarn though so its nice and thick and sturdy.

I'm also going to experiment some too - I have some Lamb's Pride that I bought to make some felted flowers so I'll try some small pieces and see what happens

orcoastknitter
06-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I just felted my first booga bag last night. I used cascade 220 instead of the noro. I put at least 4 pairs of very old jeans in with it. It took about 4 times through the wash cycle to get it where I liked it.