PDA

View Full Version : Handmade Soap

Julie
06-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Is soapmaking considered a craft? ;)

I have a friend who started her own handmade soap business last year! I've used several varieties of the soap and I've smelled most of it ... :D ... everyone at my house heartily recommends it! Even DH! (addicted to the Rosemary Mint soap, lol)

www.wildlyluckysoap.com

rebecca
06-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Yummy...I love handmade soaps, u don't get all of those skin drying chemicals like with store bought soap.
I use a French green tea soap....love, love...for the life of me I can't remember the correct name of it :rollseyes:

Rennagayle
06-29-2006, 02:10 PM
I highly recommend homemade soap for anyone who has trouble with dry, scaly, skin. My dd suffered, and I do mean suffered, for years with painfully dry skin on the backs of her hands. Sometimes it would crack and bleed. :( We tried every lotion, over the counter, as well as doctor prescribed ones.

It cleared up after my family's switch to homemade soap, but we hadn't realized that's what did it until my dd went to spend two weeks with an aunt, who only had regular commercially prepared soap on hand. Dd returned home with her hands cracked and dry again. After a few days home, they were once again healed. The only time it ever flares up now is if she travels and forgets to take her homeade soap. I now send it to her where she's living in Germany. :D

I believe God heals, both supernaturally, as well as through the wisdom He gives us! :thumbsup:

IndianPrincessSIP
06-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Thank you for posting this Julie.
I'm a vegetarian and while there are now more options for vegan/vegetarian products than when I found out three years ago that the main ingredient in most commercial soaps was tallow, I still am always looking for options.

I would to try my hand at making my own someday as well.

:D

Mumsy doodles
07-05-2006, 12:17 PM
My dh and I made our own all vegetable soap for quite a while. We gave it as gifts with handmade canedles. Everyone loved it. We bought stuff from several online warehouses--essential oils, large buckets of coconut and palm oil, even vegetable coloring. I would definitley say it is a craft (and a chemistry experiment all in one). It is fun (but not for the little kids). You do still use lye, so it can be caustic and dangerous in the wrong hands. If you want to make glycerine soaps, there are kits for kids (I don't think they use lye--I've never made glycerin soap)

I :heart: making soap and experimenting with different scent combinations.

Jen

IndianPrincessSIP
07-06-2006, 02:36 AM
ok I spent a bit of time googling soap making, and from what I can see it seems pretty darn complicated. I am a cook though so that must count for something. But I am Not a Chemist! Honestly I think knitting up a few wash clothes and making your own soap to go with it as gifts is a wonderful idea, but where o where to find the time? In the meantime I think I'll stick to the knit. (and try out some soaps from Wildy Lucky Soaps.

Unless I happen on one of those books (and there seems to be a lot of them!) I'm seeing out there on Making Soap~

:D

janelanespaintbrush
07-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Just went to the site and everything sounds so yummy. Do these work well as facial soaps? I have yet to find a facial cleanser that doesn't dry out my skin.

Julie
07-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I haven't used them on my face yet -- but I asked Tiffani (one of the soap makers) and I will let you know what she says. :D

Jan in CA
07-06-2006, 01:43 PM
I haven't used them on my face yet -- but I asked Tiffani (one of the soap makers) and I will let you know what she says. :D

I'll be waiting for the answer, too. A homemade soap with a facecloth would make a nice gift.

Julie
07-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Here is her response! :D

All our soaps are made with non-comedogenic oils, but some of the better facial soaps have these ingredients: Lavender (calming to any 'inflamations') Rosemary (antibiotic & antiseptic, so it's a good deep cleaner) & the Honey Almond Oatmeal is my personal soap for faces.

Jan in CA
07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Good! I may just pick some up for Christmas!

janelanespaintbrush
07-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks, Julie! I think I may have to try out some of that honey almond oatmeal.... those chocolatey flavors sound really decadent too.... which are your favorites, besides the rosemary mint?

Julie
07-06-2006, 08:17 PM
The Pearberry and Brazen Berry are very yummy :D

Mumsy doodles
07-07-2006, 05:04 PM
A friend of mine sent me a gift basket of the soaps she made. She had folded over a handknit washcloth and stitched up the side and one end. She slipped in a bar of soap and made a cinch up string on the open end. You could use it in the little washcloth bag or take it out and use the washcloth seperately. It was very clever, I thought. We helped them get started making soaps, but they went beyond gifts and started a business out of it. :happydance:

Jen

janelanespaintbrush
07-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Oh no, I want them all... :rofling: I wonder if there are people who have soap stashes? I could totally see it.

silveridger
07-07-2006, 08:53 PM
You should see my soap stash ;) . I've had a soap-making business for the past 4 years; just went out of business in May. I had about 30 dozen bars left after my customers had a last fling buying up inventory at 10% off, my DDs and SIL now have soap stashes of their own. I'm down to a couple dozen here in my own house. And wouldn't you know it, after six months of barely making any soap, I'm getting the itch :shock: . I have a hankerin' for some spearmint eucalyptus. Next month I'll make my annual special batch of gold, frankencense & myrrh for family Christmas gifts (I like to let it cure for 3-4 months when I make it for family.)

Properly made handcrafted soap is great for the entire body, face included. If you're concerned about sensitive skin, stick with unscented or choose an EO soap with the properties you're most interested in. Fragrances are wonderful and were some of my best sellers, but they ARE synthetic and are one of the first likely culprits when someone has a reaction to the soap. And keep an eye on the oils in the soap if you tend towards skin allergies, shea butter can set off a reaction in someone who's sensitive to latex, and some people don't tolerate coconut oil well. Obviously peanut oil isn't good for those allergic to peanuts. There are lots of good soapmakers around, and they make great gifts. I particularly like face cloths knitted with hemp yarn, they're mildly exfoliating and last forever.

janelanespaintbrush
07-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the tips, silveridger!