PDA

View Full Version : How did you get started?

jamiejeans
06-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Was curious when everyone started knitting? Who taught you? What made you want to knit?

I have been knitting for about 8 months or so. I can't remember exactly what turned me onto it, as I do not know anyone other than a few people at work that knit. I think it had something to do with scrapbooking and all the trips to the craft stores, etc. I saw yarn and thought it would be fun to do something with it.

I learned through a DVD called "The Compelte Beginners Guide to Knitting". You can get it on eBay or the website www.yarnbag.com
I highly recommend it. I also have been watching the video's on this site, which have helped with learning some more advanced techniques.

Jan in CA
06-29-2006, 09:49 PM
I started in October 2005. I used to crochet, but never liked the sameness of the look so I wanted to learn to knit and I did. ;)

Jax3303
06-29-2006, 09:56 PM
I have wanted to learn to knit ever since I was 8 and saw the mom of one of my friends doing it. I never got around to asking her to teach me. A friend taught me to crochet in 2003, and being the good little gateway drug that is crochet, it just drove me to want to knit even more. So finally in February of 2005, wanting something new to keep my hands busy with during the endless hours of braxton hicks contractions, I went out and bought a Boye learn to knit kit. A week later I had not only a brand new scarf, but also my DD. :inlove:

Julie
06-29-2006, 09:57 PM
I learned right here from Amy's videos. She taught me just about everything I know. :D

The funny thing is, my mom is a lifetime knitter -- she learned so young that she doesn't remember how old she was. My entire life she was always knitting something, usually intricate aran sweaters. Yet I had no interest whatsoever in knitting until a year an a half ago. Go figure.....

CateKnits
06-29-2006, 10:09 PM
I learned about a year a half ago. It was my first year of college and I was living in a dorm. My RA had a "learn to knit" night and told me and my roommate we should go, so we did! And that's how it started. We got my boyfriend at the time and our friend Mike to learn, too. Neva-Lee (my roommate and best friend) and I have been knitting ever since, though I've been a bit more obsessive about it. She's helped me learn a lot of things and work through some screwy patterns (and cheered me on during my first marathon sweater knitting adventure!).

DoulaLyndsey
06-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I taught myself to knit in September 2004. I was first interested in making wool soakers for my daughters, but it has turned into a full blown hobby.

DeAnzaJig
06-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I got it into my head two years ago that I wanted to learn to knit, so I signed up for a 5 week class offered in the community. I had no previous needle work experience, and was never into crafting of any sort. It was miserable, but after the class was almost over my mom (who knew how to knit, but hadn't done so since I was very little, so I was shocked) taught me the English style and I knitted a red garter stitch scarf from one skein of Lion's brand yarn.

I didn't touch my needles again until last August when I decided to try knitting another dog sweater (a dog sweater was my first unsuccessful class project) and it actually turned out half-ways decent. Then I found this forum as I was trying to puzzle out what to do to finish my class dog sweater and now I just can't get enough. :heart:

I even knit my first sweater this Jan/Feb!

kristinw
06-29-2006, 10:30 PM
I have been wanting to learn for a long time. In March I went to AC Moore and a lady there showed me the knit stitch. Once I got that down I was going to go back there to learn more but then I discovered this site. :thumbsup: I've learned most everything I know now from here.

I have done a lot of dishcloths which has really helped me improve and learn different stitches. Plus they are a quick knit. I really recommend them to anyone starting out.

iza
06-29-2006, 10:31 PM
I don't remember when I learned how to knit. I think my mom taught me when I was about 8-9. But of course all I could make were endless and shapeless scarves in garter stitch. Then I stopped for like... 20 years (I'm only 30 years old... I suddenly feel so old!). When I decided to seriously go back to knitting a few months ago, it all came back to me as if I never stopped! Strange isn't it?

I don't exaclty know why I felt like knitting again. At christmas, I saw my boyfriend's mom knit and I think that's where I got the idea. I also remembered my grandmother knitting socks ALL the time (she passed away 10 years ago but boy do I miss her). Maybe it was because of christmas being a family thing, and because I realized that knitting was an important part of my family's traditions and that it was going away. Anyhow, now I'm addicted, I can do a lot more than scarves and I'm scared to finish my PhD and get a job 'cause I KNOW what I will get when I have a real salary... YARN! :happydance:

BinkyKat
06-29-2006, 10:32 PM
:thinking:
I picked up a scarf kit from Lion with Boucle and Fun Fur in the spring of 2003. I had it sitting amongst my rising piles of scrap and beading stuff. I brought it with me on a car trip to keep busy while hubby drove. I got sooo mad because I should be able figure this stuff out. I had looked at some books in the past that are no where near as helpful as the ones that have come out over the last couple years. I am a very visual and hands on learner. I had tried it a couple times at various times in my life.. but once I frogged, shredded and started again (and practiced with "regular" yarn and needles for a bit first) I got the hang of it. I was born with my dear departed gramma's love of crafts so I feel personally owing to her to try something and learn it good! :thumbsup:

knitaddict
06-29-2006, 10:57 PM
I had wanted to learn to knit or crochet since I can remember. My mum is an incredible crochet-er (?) and I guess it was driven by jealousy. kwim I was jealous of this incredible talent that my mum had. Sadly, I waited 20 or more years before I finally tried it. My mum had tried to teach me to crochet several times & I just couldn't get the hang of it so this time around I decided to go with knitting.

I bought a kit from Boye in Feb of this year and the rest is history! :)

Jenelle
06-29-2006, 11:25 PM
I learned to crochet in the summer of '04. My neighbor taught me and the first thing that I ever made was a crocheted pot holder that I made for my mom on mothers day. After crocheting I decided to try knitting!

I think it was sometime in April of '05 that I asked for knitting needles and my parents just looked at me a little weird. Taught myself how to knit and then watched a couple episodes of knitty gritty. Stopped for the whole summer, then started back up this fall when I found this site!

Then I found out I was knitting wrong when I watched Amy's knitting and purling videos in January. Appearently I was knitting twisted stitches. :lol:

itsbecca1979
06-29-2006, 11:29 PM
I learned in Home Ec when I was 14 or 15. I learned to knit a dishrag. It was a few years before I picked it up again...when I was pregnant with Issac I knitted a blanket for him, just like a dishrag, except of course I made it bigger :lol: Now I'm hooked! :XX:

Freyja
06-29-2006, 11:34 PM
I've been at it for 2 yrs. I wanted to do something constructive and creative while I waited for my son. Reading just didn't do it, Knitting fit the bill . :rofling:

Andrea
06-29-2006, 11:47 PM
I took a class at my local Hobby Lobby in June 2005...haven't looked back! :D

figaro
06-30-2006, 12:38 AM
I had been wanting to learn for the past year or so but was unable to find a class in my town. Then the catalog for the local adult ed classes came out and finally I find a class! That was about maybe 6 months at the longest. I wanted to learn how to knit (and some day, to crochet too) because as I was watching tv at night, while I liked the shows, I felt that I could be sitting there doing something. Almost like my hands were bored!

So, now I sit there, watching tv and trying to make sure that I am knitting where I should be and purling where I should be! :XX:

DianaM
06-30-2006, 01:40 AM
Grandma taught me to crochet at age 9 (she also tried teaching me to knit, but I was too stubborn).

About....three months ago, one of the girls was picking up trash at work (assisted living facility) and one of our residents was throwing away a knitting magazine. Remembering that I crocheted during all of my breaks, she put the magazine in my mailbox.

I leafed through it and developed a desire to learn to knit. Investigated online and offline how to do the stitches and here I am.... :XX:

Mama Bear
06-30-2006, 05:17 AM
I'm enjoying this thread. I was surprised at how many of you have taken up knitting in the last few year. I think it's great!

Almost 40 years ago my grandmother came to visit and taught me to knit. I remember sitting at her feet while she taught me. My grandmother was a professional knitter. She made part of her living knitting coats and other items for people. She also rotated through her 30 grandchildren knitting items for each of us. I still have the poncho she made me when I was 10 along with a photo of she and me in our matching ponchos.

There was one little hitch in her teaching me to knit. She insisted I learn right handed and I am absolutely, helplessly, left handed. My squares looked like trapazoids! So for about 10 years I didn't knit that much.

However when I got to University I decided I wanted to learn. By that time I had been crocheting left handed for several years, and didn't have much trouble making the switch to left handed knitting.

I knit on and off through the years for my girls and as gifts. Then a couple of years ago my daughters were invited to a local knit group. They asked me to come along. Neither of them knit, they both crocheted and I encouraged them to both give knitting a try. Now one knits as much or more than I do and the other knits when she can fit stitches in around her little ones.

I knit more now than I used to because I have perfected the use of small projects. I mostly knit larger projects in the past and waited for time to tackle them. Now I knit a lot of socks, toys and small items that are easy to take along or do a few rows here and there. Creative outlets have always been very important to me, and knitting allows me to fill that need even during busy times, since I can just take it along and knit here and there.

Mama Bear

knit-errant
06-30-2006, 07:49 AM
I taught myself to crochet about 9 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter. After I got crocheting down pretty well, I decided that I really liked what you were able to do with knitting and tried (and tried and tried and tried) to teach myself.

Finally, I gave up and asked my husband's grandmother to teach me. I told her I didn't think I'd be able to learn -- it just didn't click -- but I wanted to try. She worked with me for several hours, then looked over at me and said, "You know, Leigh, I think you might just be right about that!"

So I put it away and didn't try again until October-November-ish '05. I don't know what was different, but I got it this time without too much trouble! I think I used one of those "Teach Yourself to Knit in Just One Day!" books.

Funny thing is, my daughter asked me to teach her. I'm a much more confident crocheter than I am a knitter, so I decided to teach her that first. She never quite got the hang of crocheting, and asked me to teach her to knit.... and she got that right away!

dustinac
06-30-2006, 08:21 AM
I had tried to crochet an afghan and didn't care for it so thought about knitting.. but just kept it back in my head till Brendajos kept talking about it ...so I kept thinking I should do that too.. but still kept putting it off till last May when my little girl had to be taken to the ER I was so nervous and scared and thought I have to do something for my nerves.. so after she was home and napping with dh I ran out to the library grabbed a dvd and then to the LYS and said I need help.. they helped me choose a yarn and needle.. that night while my little girl laid on my lap I tried to figure knitting out and was more frustrated about tossed those bamboo needles out the door... :lol: so I decided to go online and found this site and it clicked.. been doing it every since.... so either Brendajos or my daughter drove me to this obsession.. which is a good thing... :lol:

I did take a class at the LYS to make sure I was doing it right and to take any other classes you have to have the basic class... but I learned here...

Yarnlady
06-30-2006, 08:28 AM
My mother taught me to crochet over 40 years ago. She didn't knit though, so I taught myself around the same time. Crochet was my major fiber outlet for many years. Then about two years ago, I decided to learn to knit again. I wanted to make socks. With the help of online videos and instruction, I advanced my skills and have been alternating between crocheting and knitting, trying to keep one project of each going at all times. However, knitting socks is just too tedious for me. So I knit some things, but crochet my socks!

cozy
06-30-2006, 08:50 AM
I'd always wanted to learn, but didn't know anyone to teach me. Finally, I saw a little book/kit in the bookstore one day & bought it. I taught myself from the book. This was November 2003. For the first year or so, I was such a perfectionist & scared of mistakes that I didn't do much beyond scarves & dishcloths, but at the beginning of this year, I vowed to be more adventurous & I'm proud to say that I have. So I've made socks, tops (for myself & dd) & am now sort of designing another top.

I'm glad, though, that my dd will be able to say "my mom taught me to knit when I was 7."

RachelJean
06-30-2006, 08:50 AM
My grandmother taught me how to knit when I was about 10 years old. I vaguely remember knitting a pair of white mittens, but they were pretty funny looking. :lol: I didn't stick with knitting, but I went on to needlepoint, cross stitch, embroidery, and crochet. I always have some sort of needlework project going.

Then 2 years ago, my 8 year old daughter got a learn to knit kit for Christmas. In the process of showing her how to cast on and knit, I decided it was kind of fun. I "re-taught" myself how to knit by making an afghan, and I have been knitting ever since. Socks is one of my favorite things to knit.

Lieke
06-30-2006, 09:18 AM
When I was a kid my mom taught me how to knit. I enjoyed it for a while, but like all the things you do as a kid, it started to bore me, so I stopped again. Knitting disappeard in the Netherlands, so my mom stopped knitting as well (no LYS). About 4 years ago, knitting became more populair in the Netherlands. I liked it, and tried to make myself a scarf. It worked out pretty well, but still no LYS, so I stopped after that scarf. But I really liked the knitting proces, seeing how your work grows and stuff, so I decided to make myself a new scarf (after 2 years). I bought some yarn, but before I got started on the scarf I found some other yarn, which I liked more. So I knitted my new scarf and had some yarn left. So I decided to make myself a sweater, cause leaving my yarn untouched would be a waste. That's when I really started knitting. That's when my mom started again as well, so we went looking for yarn shops. Unfortunately no yarn shops in the neighbourhood, but we found one, not to far away, about half an hour by train. So 2 years ago, I really started knitting and I'm addicted to it ever since

Lieke
06-30-2006, 09:19 AM
-edit- hmm, something went wrong, I guess. I posted 2 times the same message :oops:

jessi_9783
06-30-2006, 09:26 AM
It was actually my sister's idea to learn to knit back in May '05. She wanted to knit herself a poncho. I thought it was a brillant idea because I was bored out of my skull laying around on my back for two months straight due to my pelvis being broken in two places. During the brief time I was allowed to be on the computer I researched knitting, found a how to kit on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1570548617/103-0876976-0871043?v=glance&n=283155), and began knitting the first week of June. Knitting has been the best thing to happen to me since I broke my pelvis. It has taken a over year to heal and in that time I had refractured it twice. If I hadn't had knitting I think I would have gone mad due to being bored, bedridden, and housebound.

In case anyone is wondering my sister never learned, but I'm not giving up. I will get her to knit even if it kills me.

sara_jayne
06-30-2006, 09:35 AM
I remember knitting as a child, but mom doesn't remember ever teaching me. :?? Who knows who is right on that one!

I asked my mom to teach me again last Christmas (December 2005) so I could knit kennel blankets for the local animal shelter. I too wanted something "productive" to do while I watched TV. Well, I quickly became obsessed with it and have moved past the kennel blankets (I still knit those though!). My mom came to visit and it was the first time she's seen me since she taught me to knit and she was very thrilled to see how far I'd progressed with my knitting. My grandma and aunt (on my mom's side) also knit, so I guess it is a family thing! :heart:

becjo
06-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Looks like a lot of grandma's taught people to knit. My grandma tried to teach me but I didnt catch on very well. I still have the original needles with the original work I started on them. That was MANY years ago.

My step-daughter, Julie taught me how to knit. Its really an awesome story. My husband and his daughter were torn apart when she was 2 because of an accident (VERY LONG story) and they hadnt seen each other in 20 years. She found him and it was quite the reunion - the answer to prayer is what it is! Getting to know all about her, she taught herself to knit when she was little and now makes some of the most gorgeous things. I had to learn. She was my teacher. Even more amazing - this accident she was in took some of her fingers but it never held her back from learning anything. She's a AWESOME knitter. Now everytime my husband gets mad at me about the cost of yarn or it taking too much time - I tell him its not my fault - it's HIS daughter that taught me! :thumbsup:

Now Julie has taught her sisters (that she didnt know she had) to knit and has spread that knitting-bug around! Its very contagious, as you all well know!

Ronda
06-30-2006, 11:38 AM
I started at the end of last summer. My neighbor knittied a funky scarf for my daughter. My daughter and I both fell in love, and I decided that I wanted to try knitting. I bought one of those "learn to knit" kits at Michael's and started with that, but I quickly got online to see if I could get some help. I used to cross stitch, and I knew there were animated stitch videos for cross stitch on the Internet, so I figured there had to be something for knitting. (I learn much better watching someone than I do reading directions and looking at pictures.) Anyway, that's when I found this site. Amy's videos have been extremely helpful. I don't think I could have learned without this site. In fact, I was just on here last night looking for help on how to use a lifeline. Would you believe that this is NOT in "The Knitter's Bible" or in my Vogue Knitting book?! I'm working on a lace scarf and I was so worried I was going to mess it up and have to start at the beginning! That lifeline is my dream come true! :heart:

NinaT
06-30-2006, 11:54 AM
My mom taught me when I was 8 or 9. The one thing I remember was her incredible patience (believe me that is NOT one of her usual virtues) helping me with dropped stitches and mistakes. Thanks to her I have loved knitting since then. I made Lopi Icelandic sweaters when I was 13 and argyle socks for my brother when I was 15. I was a quilter for many years and just recently (Nov. 2005) got back into knitting with a vengeance. Thanks mostly to this site I now have 6 WIPs and a gazillion projects in the on-deck circle! :D I have taught my two daughters and my son how to knit. I promised myself that I would always show them the patience my mom showed me. No matter what I was doing I stopped and helped and never made them feel like they were bothering me. I hope I have passed down something to them that has made my life so wonderful!

rebecca
06-30-2006, 02:34 PM
1st, you need to know that I am disabled and have a lot of severe pain as a result of the disability. So, here i am @ home, hurting all of the time, so very, very tired of flipping channels on the tv, etc. So, I began to pray, asking God to show me something to do that would both occupy my time, and help keep my mind off of my pain...then, knitting came to mind and I was talking with Lonnie about it one evening. Well, the next day he called me after his lunch break to tell me that he had been to Joann's to look for a knitting kit, but they didn't have one and he asked if I felt like riding to Michaels to check it out when he got home. We did...I got a Boye/Lionbrand kit and have been knitting since then...this was the summer of 2004. And I am very happy to say that knitting does both occupy my time and helps keep my mind off of my pain...an answered prayer indeed ;)

carollovesyarn
06-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Yay Rebecca!

I was looking for something too, to help relieve my anxiety, to fill idle time (if any!). I've always liked creating various things, but nothing really stuck with me long term. Then about 2 years ago I taught myself how to knit with the help of Amy's videos and the SnB books.

I was also motivated to make myself nice clothing and purses, and I have, but I also just like doing it! It's a tremendous stress reliever and I feel productive while in front of the boob tube at night. As a bonus, I can make things for people.

EssenceRose
06-30-2006, 05:37 PM
My step mother is amazing at crochet. I swear she can make just about anything. She taught me how to crochet when I was very young (less than 10 years old). I liked it but never really got "into" it. Then about two years ago my sons' day care provider knitted them each a sweater and when I told her how I envied that she was able to do that, she sat me down for a day and taught me the basics. I got bored with it quickly because I much preferred scrapbooking. But then I had all of these left over balls of fibre and feathers and yarn from scrapbooking so decided one day while on holiday to give it another go. I've actually completed my first project finally (a scarf which I wear quite a bit) and am now working on two more with another on the way. :) Now I actually enjoy it and it keeps my hands busy.

DreamWeaver
07-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Oooooo, this is a really cool topic ^_^

I learned the Christmas of 2005. I had been going through many hobbies that year. I did photagraphy, sewing, drawing, painting, sudoku-ing and friendship bracelet making, but none of them really grasped me (though I still do a wee bit of friendship bracelet making). Then in October I though, 'hey, it might be kinda cool to knit'. I mentiond it to my dad and kaboom! There was a 'learn to knit kit' under the christmas tree. :XX:

nicolethegeek
07-01-2006, 10:19 AM
I got started while on bedrest with my youngest. DH had bought me an adorable baby blanket kit to make as a get better soon pressie. Well it was a knit kit, and all I did at the time was crochet. Like a good little wifey/ mother, I promptly taught myself to knit! :happydance: :thumbsup: I've had some help along the way from my best friend, and more recently from Amy's videos; but I'd have to consider myself a self-taught knitter for the most part. BTW: That was nearly 3 years ago, and I haven't stopped since!

AidanM
07-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I taught myself to knit last summer with the help of Amy's videos after realizing how unappealing most crocheted sweaters were to me. I also prefer the drape of knitted fabric for sweaters. Crochet is great for other kids of garments, but for some reason it just seems that sweaters have yet to catch up to the rest of it.

Cristy
07-01-2006, 03:48 PM
I've always kind of known how to crochet--since I was 7 or 8 when my great grandmother taught me. I was always mesmerized by knitting--probably b/c it uses two sticks and b/c no one else in my family knew how. My sister came to visit from CA about 5 years ago and part of the homeschool curriculum she was using for my dn suggested knitting so she had just learned the basics. She tried to show me American style but I just couldn't get it--I knew how but I was slow and my tension was really wonky. She went back home and w/o anyone to show an interest in what I was doing, I became uninterested. I tried on and off over the next couple of years so I had acquired a bit of yarn and knitting supplies but still couldn't knit. I decided to learn again and read some information on continential. It really clicked for me! Shortly after I found Amy's site and watched her videos...

earthchick
07-01-2006, 03:50 PM
It's cool to read how other people got started!

I "learned" in May 2002, from a book. A book I would never recommend to anyone wanting to learn, even though it was called "How to Knit" and was written by Debbie Bliss. The first project in her book was an enthusiasm-killer for me, and I never really finished it, though I would pick it up from time to time and work on it. At one point, I did complete 3 basic garter stitch scarves, but that was it.

But I don't think I really became a knitter till I discovered this site last September. The videos really clarified things for me, and these forums helped ignite my enthusiasm and give me the confidence I needed to actually try new things and finish projects.

I've been obsessed ever since!

AlanCrawford
07-01-2006, 04:25 PM
I started with macrame about 7 years ago(hemp bracelets and friendship bracelets are basic examples) and after I had taken that about as far as I could go. I saw a small hemp pouch in a store window with a crystal in it. I had been doing macrame for 5 years already and never encounter anything that nice done in hemp, so I asked the hippy behind the counter how it was made and they told me it was crocheted, so I had to learn to crochet. After flipping through a couple stitch encyclopedias and pamphlets at wal-mart I bought a hook and yarn and started teaching myself how to crochet. It took about a year to get to the point that I actually want to make garments or something more difficult than a dishcloth I was dis-satisfied with how the fabric hung and I'd never gotten down the crochet lace of the pouch(men's fingers are not meant for a bent sewing needle they called a crochet hook and sewing thread), so I persued the garments and decided I needed to learn to knit if I wanted anything worth wearing. Back to wal-mart for another look at those pamphlets and to get needles instead of hooks. I taught myself the knit stitch and purl from the pictures they had and have enjoyed it ever since. It's a lot like macrame, all you need to know are two stitches, after that it's just how you put them together that changes to whole thing. Crochet has too many different stitches to memorize. Thanks to this website i've progressed from scarves to cardigans and hopefully :notworthy: with all you ladies and your patience i'll be able to actually make something with shape. :frog:

Knittens
07-01-2006, 04:25 PM
When I was younger, I noticed that my grandma had a drawer full of needles, tons of British patterns, and a half-finished baby sweater. She never knitted as long as I could remember. But in 2001, I asked her to show me how to knit. We went to Meijer (a better than wal-mart store in the Mid-west) and bought some acrylic yarn. It was some Red Heart verigated in 'Candy' colorway. My grandma gave me a pair of blue metal Suzan Bates' size 8 needles. And she taught me how to knit. I knit for about, oh, twelve inches in garter stitch and had also done some ribbing on different needles. Then I sort of lost interest in knitting for a while. Last October, I found my foot of scarf. I thought to myself,"I have a lot of free time...I should try this again."
So I did. And I love it. I'm knitting my first sweater and lace (Marseilles Pullover and Icarus from IK Summer '06).

AidanM
07-01-2006, 04:42 PM
men's fingers are not meant for a bent sewing needle they called a crochet hook and sewing thread
Maybe not your fingers. ;) Which is fine, nothing wrong with that. But I've used thread and a steel hook.

Angelia
07-01-2006, 05:56 PM
I started knitting late last September. I learned the knit and purl stitches by looking at pictures online. I made a couple of scarves. Then, in October, I found KH and Amy's videos. Yippeee!!! I was off, then--socks, hats, fair isle, cables...whole sweaters! :inlove: :inlove:

Braden
07-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I learned to knit somewhat from the Wrights learn to knit book, but I learned most of what I know from Amy's videos thanks Amy!!!

Tammy6071
07-12-2006, 09:04 PM
My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was very young, unfortunately, I never kept it up. Last summer my mother had taught my daughter to knit, and I would watch her knit and I thought I want to learn too! It looked like so much fun. So my daughter taught me how to cast on and knit. After that, I found this website and have learned everything else here with Amy's videos and all the great help I've gotten in the forum!

07-12-2006, 09:09 PM
I was at work about a year and a half ago and the receptionist for some reason decided to bring her knitting to work because her job was so boring. And I would go on my breaks and watch in complete awestruckedness :rofling: And I asked if she would teach me and here I am now. I've since left that job and have completely learned the rest from books and of course Amy's videos. What a godsend!!

My grandma used to make us these slipper/booties type things. I'm not sure if it was crochet or knitting :thinking: Once I reveal to my family at christmas that I've learned this wonderful craft I'll have to ask my dad.

gardenmommy
07-12-2006, 11:09 PM
About 10 years ago or so I would guess I bought one of those "Learn to Knit" Boye kits with the now rather dated looking projects in them. I bought some cream colored acrylic, probably Red Heart, and got as far as casting on, then it got put away among the other arts and crafts stuff I have. Fast foward to last August or so, I was cleaning up and organizing my closet, very pregnant with my fourth baby, and came across that old kit. I thought I should learn to knit something for the new baby, so I found all the parts to it (including that original skein of yarn), and looked through the book. It seemed as clear as mud, so I did some online research and came to this great site, and with Amy's videos and some guidance from another online friend, I was on my way! Before I knew any better, I bought gobs of acrylic at Joann's, which I still have, and STILL have my first project in progress, a baby blanket! LOL I have had a few FO's since then, but just not enough time to knit!

HollyP
07-12-2006, 11:30 PM
I learned about 6 years ago. I was going to Culinary school at the time and was looking for a creative outlet that wasn't food related. I don' t remember exactly why or how I chose to learn to knit. I honestly think it just popped in my head and I decided to go with it. Now that I think about knitting is a lot like cooking. You take raw materials and try to turn it in to something beautiful. I tried to teach myself from a kids knitting book but I wasn't very successful. My Mom's friend /teachers assistant ended up teaching me during a parent teacher night when no one showed up.
For a long time I was happy just knitting scarves and hats. Then my friends started having babies so I began making blankets. Most of the time I have been knitting I just stuck with squares, rectangles and hats. In the past year or so I have really branched out. I still enjoy doing simple project but now I know I can make almost anything if, as Ingrid always says, I just trust the pattern.

SabrinaJL
07-12-2006, 11:38 PM
When I was in the 7th grade I had an elective class that was basically crafts. One of the projects was knitting a scarf. I really enjoyed it, but as a teen, I didn't really keep up with it. I didn't try picking it up again until I was about 23. I've been trying it on and off since then (I'm 29 now) but never really stuck with it long enough to become proficient. Lately I've been really into it though, so maybe this is the time I actually become a "knitter". :)

Nocturna
07-13-2006, 12:43 AM
I started in... hmm... I think it was early May of this year. I had always been interested in knitting but never knew how to start, and one day a girl came into English (I'm still in high school) w/ a scarf she was knitting, and I became so jealous that I looked it up online (I think it was a Lionbrand site) that night. The next day my mom and I went to Wal-Mart, and as she drifted off into the store to get groceries I snuck into the yarn section and bought a skein of Red Heart and some spn's. I learned the basics fairly quickly- learning wasn't hard at all, but it was learning how NOT to add stitches and learning how to fix mistakes that really took its toll on me. After practice, I learned knitting was as easier and a lot more fun than I thought it would be. My first "real" project (a small clutch w/ cables, after making a ghastly iPod pouch) turned out awesome, and I've been hooked ever since.

I taught myself to knit using other sites, but this site (of course) made me love knitting even more. You guys are so much fun! lol. Since I learned, I've taught my 8 year old sister and one of my best friends and we're all having a blast still learning. I'm about to finish my first hat... after some more practice, I'll probably attempt socks :shock: :XX:

melinphx
07-13-2006, 04:52 AM
My mom taught me to crochet when I was little, and then I learned knitting in Junior High Home Economics (Cooking, Sewing, and stuff). Fast forward about 10 years... I got pneumonia the winter before my 25th birthday (not too severe, took a week or so off work)... after recovering, found that I had asthma. Soooo, no more cigarettes. I decided that along with nicorette gum, doing something with my hands would be a good idea. Mom gave me a book she'd had for years (and I still have it), "The Complete Book of Knitting and Crocheting" by Marguerite Maddox, which helped me remember how to cast on, knit, and purl. I was getting pretty good, but was frustrated by how many times I would set my work down and watch those sssslick aluminum needles just sssslip right out of all the stitches. I finally decided that maybe I should take up crochet, since there's just one stitch at a time to worry about. I stuck with crocheting for the last 20 years, until this winter. I think I'd been feeling kind of bored and unsatisfied with crocheting for quite a while. Then I discovered KH this spring and was overcome with the desire to go back to knitting. It's amazing to me how much I am enjoying it. I guess I needed a new challenge and a new way to express myself!

Melanie

Emeraldcutie
07-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I was 8 and my grnadma thought I needed something to put all my excess energy into. She bought me a beginner set from a yard sale. ( a few needles, acrylic and a learn to knit book). My mom was never creative, so I did put it down because I wanted to learn more, but didn't have access to it. I knitted on and off, then started crocheting. When I turned 16, I went to a craft fair with a friend and her mom, at the fair there was a learn to knit exhibit. I was hooked again, I got 2 kits, one was mittens that I still have..:) It's been adventure since then. I thank god for the creation of the internet and more access to new knitting and patterns. Keeps me interested:)

Calabaza
07-13-2006, 01:42 PM
I crocheted for a long time before I started knitting. But I started last December because my husband and I were moving and i wanted to learn something new to keep me busy while he was working.

newamy
07-13-2006, 08:25 PM
It was a combination of two things. In January at my daughter's birthday party she got one of those learn to knit kits. It had chunky bright varigated scarf yarn. it said "Knit this scarf in two hours!" Yeah right :rollseyes: I thought.
So at the same time I had a client who's home I visited regularly who was knitting all the time. A nice "little old lady". So she showed me and got me started and I didn't do so well. But it did help to have a live demo. She says she's not a good teacher. I surfed the net and found this place and I actually learned most from Amy's video's. I still have trouble making head or tale out of illustrations in books. I'm a bit better now in that I better understand what they are trying to describe but watching live action does help.

After a month or so I fianlly finished that "two hour" scarf. My poor daughter didn't learn on it though. I showed her how to knit later and she can do garter stitch (with dropped and extra stitches) and she says the rhyme about Jack. She's only 6 and is bored after 5 or six short rows. Her guage is rather loose too!

Anyway, I've been

:XX: ever since.