PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who knit and crochet

jamiejeans
06-30-2006, 09:43 AM
I have been thinking of trying out crochet. My mom knows how, so I could ask her to teach me. She claims knitting is harder (for her at least). However, is it difficult to learn if you already know how to knit? I imagine the stitch work is much different as you are using one hook vs two needles and the fabrics come out so different.

And it would be nice to use both techniques on one project. I have seen some great patterns that use crochet borders.

Ingrid
06-30-2006, 09:46 AM
I much prefer knitting, but I have also crocheted. Years ago, I alternated between both. They're different enough that they're both easy to learn. I don't think one is harder than the other, but crochet is faster. I'm just not fond of the fabric it creates, but it does come in handy for edging.

kellyjo32
06-30-2006, 09:49 AM
I do both as well. I learned how to crochet a long time ago, and then got interested in knitting much later in life. I usually have a crochet project going at the same time as a knitting project. It works up much faster than knitting, so it's good for afghans and large projects, for me at least, as I tend to get bored easily. They are completely different from each other, I even hold my yarn in the other hand for crocheting.

dustinac
06-30-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't think it would be harder to learn.. I think it would also come in handy too.. I don't know very much about crochet just enough to get me by on a edging.. however there is this sweater I've been eyeing and want to try.. will have to call mom for help on that though LOL.. she likes crochet better than knitting... I just got bored with crocheting my afghan still looks like a scarf :lol:

Jan in CA
06-30-2006, 09:52 AM
That does seem to be the way people think of knitting vs crochet..that knitting is harder. I guess because you are using two needles. I crocheted long before I knit and, like Ingrid, I didn't like the fabric it produced nearly as well as knitted fabric. Crochet is fun though and a good addition to knitting. ;)

kemp
06-30-2006, 09:57 AM
I was a long time crocheter before I learned to knit and now that I know how, I actually thing knitting is easier in a way. It can be hard to see where to insert your needle sometimes with crochet depending on the type of yarn/pattern you're doing.

I don't thing either one was really harder to learn initially. You know, awkward at first but it gets better with practice.

Lana
06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
I had knit for several years before I learned to crochet.
I taught myself from an old Coats & Clark Learn How Book.

It was my MIL who noticed that I wrapped my yarn in the wrong direction.
Also I hold my hook the same way I hold a knitting needle.
I don't know if one is easier than the other,
but I have been able to teach people to knit who can't "grasp" crocheting.

suecq
06-30-2006, 10:51 AM
I knit and crochet. I don't think one is harder than the other, they are just different. As crochet is done with only 1 needle people who crochet well tend to do the mechanics quicker and therefore it appears harder.

knit-errant
06-30-2006, 11:52 AM
I bet with a little patience you'll have no trouble picking it up. I found learning to crochet much easier than learning to knit. For a while, I never thought I'd learn to knit!

I'm very glad I can do both -- they're pretty different, but I think they complement each other in a lot of ways.

1to1
06-30-2006, 12:44 PM
I learned to knit in Feb, 2005 and to crochet in Feb, 2006. I had completed many knit projects before learning to crochet.

IMO, it is easier to learn to crochet and it is faster. As others have said--you get two completely different looks. Knit is more defined and crochet seems to be bulkier. I definitely recommend crocheting afghans.

I enjoy doing both and have a couple of project of both going right now.
I glad I can do both.

AidanM
06-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Crochet is great for freehanding things since you don't have to worry about dropping stitches, it's also easier to do things that get bigger - You don't have to switch to long needles or anything. Things like doilies and circular afghans are easier to do in crochet in the round for this reason. Not that these things are impossible in knitting, but I myself wouldn't want to try it simply because I find them so much easier to do with a hook.

Crochet produces a much sturdier fabric, so I generally prefer it for things like bags or things that must wear hard, like rugs or afghans. It's also nice when you want to make something more tailored looking as the fabric allows you to create a more structured garment. I've seen a few crocheted jackets that used tailoring and sewing techniques of piecing together to create a garment that would be appropriate for an office or other work environment.

There are some truly gorgeous lace options in crochet, the best example probably being Irish lace. I've seen several Irish lace wedding dresses.

I learned to crochet before I knit, so I ended up choosing continental knitting because it has the yarn in the same hand.

ecuzzacrea
06-30-2006, 01:51 PM
I crochet also, but not nearly as much as I knit. I'm just learning crochet. I think crochet goes faster, but I prefer the look of most knitted items over crochet.

smartcat
06-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I think it is a great idea to learn how to crochet and to know how to do both, even if all you ever learn is just the basics. There are several knit patterns that ask you to crochet around the edge, so I think it is an important skill. When I first learned to crochet, I couldn't imagine that I would ever want to learn to knit, but have come to realize that there are some things that each method works best for.

Crochet is really good for blankets/afghans, dishcloths, toys, and bulky sweaters, but knitting is really the method of choice for wearables to get the drape and show of the quality of yarn. There are somethings that I just automatically go instantly to my crochet hooks for and other things I go for the sticks.

I actually knew how to crochet before I learned to knit and knitting is easier in the respect that there are only 2 basic stitches. In crochet there are at least 5 stitches you will need to learn, and there are many variations of those stitches. The thing that I have seen most knitters, learning to crochet, have problems with, is finding the most comfortable (ergonomic) way to hold the hook. Also if you are a thrower rather than a picker you may find wrapping the yarn for tension on your hand will take some getting used to. BUT IT IS DOABLE. Don't give up if you have problems learning from your mom, try taking a class at LYS or ask a fellow knitter to share her method. Each person needs to find the way that is most comfortable for them to find success and not every teacher is capable of teaching multiple methods, so if one teacher doesn't work, try to find another. Just like clothes, one size doesn't fit all, and you just have to keep trying one different sizes till you find the one that fits.

humblestumble
06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
I think once you've learned knitting, it's a peice of cake so crochet might seem harder, but I think it's easier to catch onto crochet if you've never knit before and you try to learn both. This is what I did. And I caught onto crochet by just looking at diagrams and going to a stitch website with mini videos on how to do it. I forget what it was called at the moment. I think Annie's Attic now owns that website.

Yea, it used to be stitches.com I think but now it's just a part of annies attic's website http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S

However, I think since you know how to knit already, you probably already have muscle memory with it, so crochet may seem harder, but once you learn it, it should be pretty easy, and it goes by fast.

becjo
06-30-2006, 03:40 PM
I crocheted a little - but it hurts my hand so much. I think with knitting, its easier because both hands are constantly moving. I just think knitting is easier and I just feel like you can make so many more beautiful things knitting. Just my opinion

zazzu
06-30-2006, 11:59 PM
I've heard knitters say that crochet is harder, and crocheters say that knitting is harder. IMO, they both felt awkward when I was learning them.

I think knitting is better for garments, because of the elasticity you get from knitted fabric. Socks and sweaters need some "give" to them to ease over the body.

I like crochet better for doilies and afghans. Crochet stitches look lacier and more decorative. A crochet stitch is "locked" once it's put in place, so it doesn't stretch like a knit stitch does. That's why I like baby blankets to be crocheted....the stitches don't get stretched out by little fingers and toes ;)

Of course, this is just my opinion and I'm sure lots and lots of folks would disagree w/me :D

I think you should let your mom teach you to crochet. How fortunate to have a relative to show you the basics :thumbsup:

nicolethegeek
07-01-2006, 10:22 AM
I have been crocheting for over 16 years, and knitting for nearly 3. I find them both different and complementary, with neither being more difficult than the other. I have many more challenges in knitting, but that is only because I am still learning. I hope to eventually be with my knitting the way I am with crochet... where I can pick up any pattern of any skill level in any fibre or weight, and be able to do it.

Also, just for the finishing techniques, I think it's a great idea for all knitters to at least learn a few basic crochet stitches.