PDA

View Full Version : FO - Rick Rack Purse - Updated with lining instructions

Sue Madelin
06-30-2006, 11:05 AM
I've just finished this Rick Rack purse from the Knit Picks pattern.

I used WOTA (double stranded) on size 10.5 needles in Tulip (The bumper and handle colour) and Hush.

I made a slight boo boo though by washing it at 90 degrees to get a better felt - which resulted in the Hush going a little patchy! :doh:

I also decided to line it and after a lot of trial and error this morning have finally worked out how to get the bottom of the lining to match the bottom of the bag!

I really like the finished result and I'm going to be making more of these to give as Christmas gifts to my two SILs and maybe some other family members too.

Mama Bear
06-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Very cute! The lining is a great match for the yarn colors.

Mama Bear

sara_jayne
06-30-2006, 11:09 AM
:cheering: :cheering:

More Rick Rack lovers!!!

It looks wonderful! I love the lining and the ribbon!

Tammy6071
06-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I love the colors you chose and the lining is wonderful! I really want to get around to trying this purse!! Great job!

Sue Madelin
06-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys :heart:

This is a really fun purse to knit - and it is very sturdy - it stands up by itself which I feel is essential for a bag! I would say the pattern is definitely worth paying for.

I learnt how to do an i-cord bind off, kitchener stitch and a six stitch i-cord with this project - thank goodness for KH and Amy's fantabulous videos. I couldn't have done it without them!!!!! So THANK YOU AMY :D :heart: :D

I'm just planning the colours for my next one - thinking of Hollyberry and Spruce for one of my SILs. Can't decide which way to do it though - maybe the bag in Hollyberry and the handles in Spruce - I think she's a "red-ish" person.

Mudmama
06-30-2006, 01:51 PM
How much yarn does it take to make this purse? I want to order the pattern and the yarn at the same time, but it doesn't say. Thanks, Sherry

ecuzzacrea
06-30-2006, 01:54 PM
oh - that's cute!

love the colors.

rebecca
06-30-2006, 01:55 PM
:cheering: :cheering: It's beautiful :cheering: :cheering: I must have one ;)

Sue Madelin
06-30-2006, 02:32 PM
If you use WOTA you will need 3 balls of the main colour and 2 balls of the contrast colour (ie handles etc) for the smaller bag - if you want to make the taller bag you will need 4 balls of the main colour and 2 of the contrast (I ended up with probably about 1/2 to 2/3rds of a ball of the contrast colour left over when I made the small bag). You have to double strand if you use WOTA.

If you use Sierra then you only single strand and the amounts required are 2 main and 1 contrast for both bags. ****(ETA - that is each bag requires 2 and 1 balls of wool - not 3 balls total for 2 bags! But you knew that didn't you? - Just thought I'd better clarify!)****

P.S - sorry to blow my own trumpet but I just showed DH my bag and he was very impressed - he said "it looks so professional" - Bless him!

Jan in CA
06-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't see anything patchy! I think it looks awesome! This is on my list for next order at KP!

Andrea
06-30-2006, 03:11 PM
P.S - sorry to blow my own trumpet but I just showed DH my bag and he was very impressed - he said "it looks so professional" - Bless him!

:roflhard: :roflhard:
I say blow it all you want!! You did an awesome job!!! :inlove:

Mudmama
06-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Thank you for the yarn amounts, Now I have to make one. Yours is grogeous. Sherry

AnreeAce
06-30-2006, 03:50 PM
:heart: :heart:

Beautiful! Those colors are just to die for and the liner works just perfectly! Way to go!

knit-a-holic
06-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Awww! That is so cute! :heart:

mks22300
06-30-2006, 08:13 PM
I love it! You did a beautiful and those colors are wonderful together! :cheering:

EssenceRose
06-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Wow that is amazing! If I were in a shop and saw that, I would buy it! No joke! Well done!!!

nanonette
06-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Absolutely LOVELY!! :cheering: :cheering:

kemp
07-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Sooooooooo absolutely adorable!

nicolethegeek
07-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Wonderful work! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Someday I hope to make one too.

sunnyreflections
07-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I so love it! I am thinking I will need to make a dark brown one with a light blue trim.

How hard was it to put the lining in? Any tips on that?

Cristy
07-01-2006, 07:25 PM
awesome! I love it and the colors you chose! :0

Sue Madelin
07-02-2006, 05:04 AM
How hard was it to put the lining in? Any tips on that?

It was relatively easy - a tiny bit fiddly and time consuming - but I'm more than happy to write out some instructions for you if you like. I think I'll try and recreate the process so I can take some photos aswell so give me a day or so and I'll see what I can come up with.

I'll post on here and pm you once I've got them worked out OK?

I took the purse for its first outing yesterday - to my Mum's birthday dinner with Amanda and 3 Aunties and 1 cousin - they all loved it and "ooh-ed and ahh-ed" over it in a suitable manner - so I was very proud. We're now going to have a little KAL together at my house so they can all knit their own!

sunnyreflections
07-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Oh! That would be wonderful! I tried to line a purse I made for my mom, but it was very hard and I would love some instruction so my Rick Rack purse can look as good as yours does! :inlove: I really appreciate it!

-Alison

becjo
07-05-2006, 08:39 AM
I absolutely love it! The lining is just awesome too - you should feel proud of yourself!

mulene
07-05-2006, 10:42 AM
I love this purse. I've just ordered the pattern with the options needles!

SandraEllen
07-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Super Cute!
And the lining fits it beautifully!

Jenelle
07-05-2006, 03:45 PM
That's cute! :thumbsup:

Sue Madelin
07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Well - I've finished my second Rick Rack - this one is a Christmas pressie for one of my sisters in law - aren't I just so ahead of myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've also taken the opportunity to write out some instructions for putting in the lining - hope they are helpful to those of you who wanted them. I've added them to a page on my website - it's password protected and the password is knittinghelp so just click on the link below to get there. If anyone has any feedback once they've followed the instructions or finds that I've made any stupid errors please let me know and I'll correct them!

Happy Lining!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.snugstop.com/line-a-felted-bag.html (Password = knittinghelp)

sara_jayne
07-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Yet another beautiful purse!! Thanks for the lining instructions - very helpful!

SandraEllen
07-11-2006, 04:52 PM
thanks for the lining instructions! very good information!!!

Andrea
07-11-2006, 05:20 PM
:inlove: Wow!! Sue!!! :inlove: