PDA

View Full Version : KH Monthly Challenge.... JULY

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-01-2006, 12:26 PM
The challenge for this month is...

A felted project!

Here a recent thread (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194030&highlight=felt+felting#194030) from the general forum about felting, if you're not sure what it is, or how to do it.

I'm sure we're going to see lots of Booga Bags (http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html) and Fiber Trends Clogs (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2571) (no pattern there, just the KAL thread).

Don't forget to check out Knitty (www.knitty.com) and Knittng Pattern Central (www.knittingpatterncentral.com) for patterns, too. Knit One, Felt Too and Felted Knits are great books all about felting! Your library might have them. And don't forget Nicky Epstein's Flowers--she has 2 chapters dedicated to felted flowers. (got to Amazon (www.amazon.com) if you want to check out the books [/url]

You can ALSO take all those swatches I know you've been knitting, and felt them into coasters! I did this last summer, it was a great project. You can bead or embroider around the edges, too, maybe add a ribbon, etc.

Here's a great project to do with kids (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/felt_soap.htm)... Felting around a bar of soap! All you need is roving, water, and a bar of soap! I did it with my niece and nephew last summer and they loved it! It was messy... but fun! About (http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/ss/soapfelting_9.htm) has a similar project with very detailed instructions. You can also search yahoo and google for "felt aroound a bar of soap" and lots of sites with instructions and pictures will come up.

Just remember, in order to felt, you need ANIMAL FIBERS. Acrylic, cotton, and linen won't felt. Some blends (part animal, part something else) won't felt either, AND if the animal fiber has been bleached white, it might not felt EITHER! make sure you check those labels before starting a project.... you dont' want to have knitted a FT Clog in cotton, only to discover LATER that it won't felt, and you're stuck with big foot slippers :shock:

Here's some other Feltmaking tips and FAQ if you're interested. ETA: THIS LINK NO LONGER WORKS :-(

Happpppppy Knitting!

Vendie
07-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Oooh, this might motivate me to finish DH's clogs! :happydance:

DragonTush
07-01-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm in on this one..I've been wanting to felt something for a while.

So, alpaca will felt, right? I have two skeins of Berocco Ultra Alpaca, one in Navy and one called Redwood Mix. Not sure how much yarn I might need or what pattern I could use but I would love to make a felted bag of some sort. I'll have to go peruse knitting pattern central and see if I can come up with something.

sara_jayne
07-01-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm in on this one too....I'm going to do the Lucy Bag (http://www.blackberry-ridge.com/lucybag.htm) in Mmmmmmmmalabrigo's Emerald Blue. This will be a Christmas present for my Grandma. I already have all the supplies but need to borrow my husbands arms to wind the 2 hanks since I don't have a swift!

Vendie
07-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Send it to meeeee, I'll wind it up for you :shifty:

beckyrhae
07-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Oo... This is good. I'm supposed to make a diaper bag for a friend at work.

And a möbius bag...

And a sushi wallet...

I like to FELT!

Angelia
07-01-2006, 06:01 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

And will it then mysteriously disappear in the post on the way back to Sara, Vendie? ;)

Sara
07-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Also, wool that says "SUPERWASH" does not felt. :thumbsup:

jhelanee
07-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Perfect! I am going to make a felted cell-phone holder for DH for our anniversary, so it fits the theme! :happydance:

sara_jayne
07-01-2006, 07:38 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

And will it then mysteriously disappear in the post on the way back to Sara, Vendie? ;)

That is what I suspect! You can't blame her for loving that mmmmmalabrigo!!!! :heart:

Angelia
07-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Heck no, I don't blame her for that at all! Rather, I blame her for my fondness for Mmmmalabrigo... :shifty:

sara_jayne
07-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Heck no, I don't blame her for that at all! Rather, I blame her for my fondness for Mmmmalabrigo... :shifty:

;) Me too! Although, after I knit this purse I won't have any more in my stash :verysad: but I need a little mmmmmalabrigo love right now!

Angelia
07-01-2006, 07:52 PM
I need some too! :( I plan to buy a bunch at Stitches (at Chix, really) since the yarn abstinence doesn't count that weekend! :happydance: :happydance:

Well, I'll get some if Kelly doesn't get paid with all of it... :rofling:

VickiIL
07-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I love the felted bar of soap project with the kids! They will LOVE to do that....I can just see the massive amounts of soap suds around my kitchen...hmm maybe an outdoor project....

Also I had planned on making a lucy bag for our babysitter out of some of my own homespun....so I guess I'm in!

Angelia
07-02-2006, 12:05 AM
:thumbsup: I love the Lucy bag! I still need to make one for myself...wonder if I have enough wool that matches to make one... :thinking:

dplantlady
07-02-2006, 11:39 AM
PERFECT! :cheering:

I recently started one of Cat Bordhi's moebius cat baskets with Kraemer Yarns Mauch Chunky (which felted BEAUTIFULLY for me for a previous cat basket), so I'm in.

I've got the moebius ring done & will be starting to pick up stitches later today.

Just finished the first of four counterpane squares. :happydance: It's real interesting to go from size 13 needles to size 3...

Diane

snephenie
07-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Funny story...Today is my little cousins birthday party. So thursday I decide I'll make him some clogs, doesn't take very long right? (He LOVE spiderman) So I go to my knitpicks drawer (yes have a drawer just for them) and I have red no blue. I had Spruce, and no matter what light I held it under it wouldn't turn blue.

Going to LYS on Friday was out of the question...open 10-6, work 9-7...
(Oh and I asked DH to pick it up for me...he compared it to buying tampons)
So I went yesterday and got some cascade. But this was in the middle of "Girls day" (Me, DD, Mom and Sister) and of course those two can shop. Didn't get home and started until 4:30, got clog one done before dinner. Then there was baths, teeth, bedtime for the ankle biters. Sheesh, this was NEVER going to get done.

I stayed up till 2 (I had to frog a few times on #2 cause I lost count) Set my alarm for 6am...(because here I am at work...) I finish the second clog and all the weaving at 7:30 am....

As I am washing them I keep sticking my hand in this BURNING hot water, couldn't find the dern things. I thought for sure they were ruined.

8:02, they look great. A litte soaked but good. 8:15 shoving the plastic bags in them (yes I did have to be at work at 8am) BUT...the clogs are done. It's so hot they will dry in no time. (smallest size) and they look adorable...

If my DH forgets to take them to the party I WILL kill.

And since I finished this morning...my KAL is DONE!!! :)

Just kidding, I think Im going to do the Rick Rack bag.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-02-2006, 01:45 PM
WOW steph! You win I guess!!!

I meant to add, we get extra points if this is a STASH BUSTER project!!!!

javede
07-02-2006, 01:54 PM
WOW steph! You win I guess!!!
I meant to add, we get extra points if this is a STASH BUSTER project!!!!

Oh, I'll get extra points then :happydance:
Since I'm not going to buy anymore yarn for an indefinite amount of time(aka till one box is empty), I'm going to use stash yarn.
Not sure what exactly I'll knit, cause I don't know what amounts of feltable yarn I have(yes, I really need a yarn-buying-stop :lol: ). Thinking about doing a booga bag if I have enough or some feltable bowls otherwise.

Angelia
07-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Steph, did you get a photo of the Spiderman clogs?!

And Hildie, how does the scoring system work? Do we win anything?!

sara_jayne
07-02-2006, 03:14 PM
I started my Lucy bag last night in Mmmmmalabrigo. Once I got done with the increases on DPNs and moved it on to my Addis I was in love - I couldn't stop!!!

Here is my progress:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/100_2697.jpg

Here are the purty colors....
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/100_2698.jpg

Once I've finished the Lucy in mmmmmalabrigo I'm going to make another one in Debbie Bliss Soho (that I bought to make this pattern originally) in these colors...
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Random/sohoclose.jpg

I think I've decided to keep the mmmmmalabrigo one for myself and give the soho one to my grandma! :)

Angelia
07-02-2006, 03:31 PM
That Debbie Bliss Soho is beautiful!! And we know how I feel about Mmmalabrigo... :inlove: Is that Paris Night again, or a different colorway?

Julie
07-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Sara... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: that colorway is gorgeous!!

snephenie
07-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Steph, did you get a photo of the Spiderman clogs?!

I do, I made sure to take a pic before I left, I even unplugged my card reader to bring to work...but left the stinking camera at home. DH is going to drop it off before the party.

I REALLY wanted to sew on some spiders on the top but I just ran out of time.

I did a booga in DB Soho from my Secret Pal....I LOVE it!!!!!

Oooh lookie what I just won on ebay!

Angelia
07-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Yummy!!! :inlove: :inlove:

sara_jayne
07-02-2006, 04:58 PM
That Debbie Bliss Soho is beautiful!! And we know how I feel about Mmmalabrigo... :inlove: Is that Paris Night again, or a different colorway?

This color way is "Emerald Blue" and I think you can tell why! :) The first skein actually had some white spots in where the other one was just blue and green but they should blend fine together.

I do love the Debbie Bliss colorways too so I can't wait to start that one too! I'm doing one at a time then I figure I'll felt them at the same time.

snephenie
07-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Here they are...they probably could've used another 15 minutes for the upper part, you can still see some stitching...but I ran out of time and well....he's two! :)

Oh and I just about freaked out last night when I got in the lighting in my house...the blue looked purple...

sara_jayne
07-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Those look WONDERFUL!!! Great job Snephenie!

That yarn you won on e-bay is stunning! :inlove:

snephenie
07-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks....
You know they send you this email to pay then with a note..."Will combine shipping...." It's like the Candy at the checkout stand in the store....

So I added this one to it... :)

snephenie
07-02-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm a little curious though...if Malabrigo is sooooo yummy and soft, why would one want to felt with it? Does it stays that soft?

I can't decide what I want to do with mine yet.

sara_jayne
07-02-2006, 06:48 PM
It is WONDERFUL felted also! I've only ever felted with it but if I have a little left from this Lucy bag I think I'll be making a hair tie and not felt it. mmmmalabrigo is such a wonderful yarn - life butta to knit with!

monzogary
07-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Ooohh, I can do this! I have just finished knitting two bags that need to be felted (well, I still need to finish the i-cord for one) and then I have one more project that I want to do as well soon. Yay!

Angelia
07-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Oh, Steph, those are adorable!!! And that Mmmmalabrigo is lovely!

Ellen Edwards
07-04-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm in for a feel..uh FELT!! I've got 2 skeins of mmmmMalabrigo--but I ain't feltin' that!! I'll use some WOTA--I just cant felt something as soft as Lovely Little!! :heart:

jamadian75
07-04-2006, 11:03 PM
*sigh* Just so Right On Time Hilde it's scary.

I find myself actually looking forward to this coming out each month now because that's at least ONE project I try to commit to finishing in a specific time period.

I'm going to make The ButtonHole Bag (http://www.masondixonknitting.com) from Mason Dixon using Mauch Chunky yarn (http://www.kraemeryarnshop.com/index.cfm?currentpage=3&fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1)in Blueberry, Blueberry Ice and Eggplant

Goooooooo Felting!! :happydance:

DragonTush
07-05-2006, 12:44 AM
I think I want to make this one...

http://larissmix.typepad.com/spork/

I'm going to need help with her pattern though. Anyone want to make this one too? I think I'm also going to use my alpaca yarn that I have already and then just buy two more skeins (in a different colour) for my third colour. I'm going to have to check my guages and see if they match up.[/url]

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-05-2006, 08:55 AM
:cheering: yay Jamadian! I think I can read your mind, you know :shifty:

DT, the "Spork" is very cool! I might like to try that one too. Of course, we can all help you with the pattern. have you decided on yarn yet?

I've been MIA for the last 3 days: my best friend from H.S. came out to visit for the holiday, and I haven't knit hardly ANYTHING but a few swatches!!! And *NOW* I have three days of forum postings to catch up :help: I'll be here for 2 weeks!!! :doh:

monzogary
07-05-2006, 09:31 AM
My first two projects are felted! I already had them mostly done when I found out about the July challenge, so I feel I kinda cheated. Anyway, the first bag is for my mom, its made out of Patons classic wool in two shades of mixed grey and the pattern is the Little Coco bag found here: http://feltedhandbagworkshop.blogspot.com/. The second one is made out of some thick/thin handspun yarn I got from my swap pal, and the pattern is the medium size found here: http://knitandplenty.typepad.com/photos/free_patterns/three_little_bags.html. I still need to do something with it for handles - I think I may just use some ribbon I have on hand. Sorry no before pic of the Coco bag - I just got too excited to throw it in the wash LOL. Up next for this challenge I think I'm going to make some kind of felted cat bed so our silly cat will quit clawing at our door at night so much. :lol:

sara_jayne
07-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Mary those bags look wonderful!

I'm so excited to see everyone's projects!

I've been put on shoulder rest :( I have brusitis in my shoulder and the chiropractor told me to take it easy....so I haven't knitted much in the last few days. I'm ready to start the handle on my Lucy bag, but when I limit myself to knitting 10 rows per day it is SSSLLLLOOOOOWWW going!

DragonTush
07-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Hilde...I think I'm going to use the Ultra Alpaca from Berroco. I have two skeins of it right now and I am going to get two more this week sometime. I'm just not sure if its big enough? It doesn't say what weight it is.

Maybe you can help me out with that? Even if its the wrong gauge can I use it anyway? LOL My ignorance is showing through here.

http://www.berroco.com/yarns/ultra_alpaca.html

sara_jayne
07-05-2006, 11:45 AM
You should be able to substitue the yarn with no problems! Here is what I found with the guague.

Berroco Ultra Alpaca (http://www.berroco.com/yarns/ultra_alpaca.html)
5 sts = 1" and 20 sts & 26 rows = 4" on US 8

Lamb's Pride Worsted (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=590)
18 sts across 4" (so 4.5 sts = 1") on US 8

It looks like the guague is VERY close on the two yarns so you should be okay! Since the Spork will be felted any way gaugue isn't as important as it would be if you were knitting a garment!

DragonTush
07-05-2006, 12:29 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks Sara Jayne. I wasn't too sure about substituting. I'm getting excited about doing this. It will be my first felting project.

sara_jayne
07-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Glad to help - that is part of the fun of hanging around here!

I'm glad you are trying felting for the first time - it is fun fun fun!! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks Sara! :-) Also, DT, the Berroco is about 25 yards longer than the LP, so you won't have to worry about running out of yarn.... you might even be able to make the bag BIGGER :happydance: (all bags can be made better if they're bigger, IMHO!)
The *only* thing I don't like about the bag is the strap. Black Webbing???? ewwwwwwww. Time to get creative!

DragonTush
07-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah..I don't like that look either Hilde but I haven't a clue what I'm doing so I'm a bit timid about changing anything. If I have extra yarn then.... :thinking: Maybe enough to knit a tie or handles or whatnot. I just don't know.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Do you have any old belts laying around? I'm trying to think of something that would lay flat like that webbing stuff... maybe check some yard sales for those ribbon-like belts, and you can just sew it on. It would even have the rings on them, too, for adjustments.

SandraEllen
07-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Awesome! I'm in. I promised my SILs Booga Bags for their birthdays (July 26 & 27) so this is absolutely perfect.
One will be done in earth tones (WOTA)
the other will be blues and turquoises (WOTA, kool-aid dyed WOTA, and some Merino Style from KP)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-06-2006, 12:33 PM
make sure to do a test felt if you're using different yarns together!

Shandeh
07-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Well, last month's challenge went KAPUT in my house as soon as I typed that I would be joining. I never knit a stitch.
Bad Sandy! Bad Sandy! :oops:

But, I think I can manage a felted object. Those are easy and quick!

And, I just happen to have some wool yarn that I spun myself....just sitting around not doing anything.

So, yeah....I'll try again.

mintdee
07-07-2006, 01:19 AM
:happydance:
I am able to post a FO in a Knit along!
This purse I made for my little sister out of Cascade 220. I am really not happy with the R (Love the placement just not the fact that It is squished.) I think that it will be okay if I just do some embrodering (sp badly) around it. The shape and colors and the ruffle on top I LOVE however.

My question for everyone. I think that the icord that I was making for this bag isn't going to be the right look for it. I need ideas what do you ladies think would look cute? I am leaning toward the curved handles but was wondering if you all had any creative ideas.
:thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-07-2006, 01:20 PM
:inlove: oooo i love it!!!!

I'm thinking sleek eliptical or rectangular black handles, so they contrast with the shape of the bag, but don't compete with or distract from it.

knitwit
07-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Love the bag- Very Cute!!
I just so happen to have a felted FO to share- It's a felted pumpkin from a Fall Knitty. I made some modifications though- I'm not a fan of seaming and finishing, so, I knit it in the round (as opposed to the 7 individual panels that needed to be seamed together). I tied yarn strands around it to make the little lines like you see on real pumpkins and stuffed it with pollyfill. AND- I used WOTA in fall colors from my stash :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-07-2006, 06:17 PM
great!!! that's a big *** pumpkin, too!! How big was it before felting??

knitwit
07-07-2006, 06:32 PM
I completely forgot to take a before pic- I want to say it was basketball sized - and now, it's just a about the size of a mini basketball - it fits in the palm of my hand. It felted really quick too- I only put it through 2 cycles in the machine!

sara_jayne
07-07-2006, 11:15 PM
I love that pumpkin!!!

jamiejeans
07-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Can I still join? I just got some yarn to make a felted bag today... no specific pattern, I'm just going to try to come up with something. :D

kristinw
07-08-2006, 04:48 PM
*waves to Jamie!!*

What can I make with one skein of Malabrigo?? I have some from my secret pal that I would love to make a bag out of. But I'm not sure if one skein is enough. :thinking:

jamiejeans
07-08-2006, 04:51 PM
how many yards is it?

kristinw
07-08-2006, 04:58 PM
It is 216 yards.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Anyone can join at any time!!!!

Maybe a small clutch purse?

DragonTush
07-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Do you have any old belts laying around? I'm trying to think of something that would lay flat like that webbing stuff... maybe check some yard sales for those ribbon-like belts, and you can just sew it on. It would even have the rings on them, too, for adjustments.

I might have some Hilde. I'll figure something out. I am going to the LYS on monday I think...and I'm getting the two skeins I need to do this project. :XX:

I'm also going to knit like crazy the rest of the weekend so I can get my dd's cardigan done. Only a little bit left to go on the sleave, then the border and seaming. I really want this done before I start another major project, if only to prove to my hubby that I CAN finish SOMETHING, darn him!

WynnieG
07-08-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm in. Let's see how many bags I can create before Lammas!

jamadian75
07-08-2006, 07:03 PM
DragonTush - I think it's great you're going to change something about the tote that you're not too crazy about. If you do find a belt or other substitute, may I suggest a strip of velcro to use on the top flap closure?

Something easy to sew on to the post-felting surface and you wouldn't have to worry about those clip thingies that are shown in the pattern.

Just a thought :D

jamiejeans
07-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Hilde, I am thinking the same thing... something small like a coin purse or cell phone holder... something to use within a bag.

Kristin, is that a new picture of Nicholas?

kristinw
07-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Hilde, I am thinking the same thing... something small like a coin purse or cell phone holder... something to use within a bag.

Kristin, is that a new picture of Nicholas?

Hmm, I'll have to see if I can find a pattern for something like that.

That is a pretty new picture. He was 6 weeks there, but amazingly he is now almost 8 weeks! How did that happen!!?

Jenelle
07-09-2006, 12:47 AM
I might join in. I have this really chunky wool that I need to find a project for.

jamiejeans
07-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Kristin, I bet if you google a pattern for say, "cell phone holder" you'll come up with a bunch.

I'll be starting my bag with the yarn I bought Saturday early this week. But I think for good measure I will draw a schematic first. It can't hurt and will try to keep me on track.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-09-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm in. Let's see how many bags I can create before Lammas!

Is it on the 1st or 2nd this year??

ooooo I had a vision of a small felted pouch to wear around your neck to carry herbs..... yellow, green, brown stripes.... Or maybe corn shaped?? (that might be wierd...)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-09-2006, 10:44 PM
oo oo ooooooooo A felted basketweave... uhh.... BASKET for bread!!!!!!

I wonder if basketweave stitch would show up after felting... :thinking:

jamadian75
07-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I found the NICEST group of women this past Saturday at a Knit Group in Orlando. I've got to start one of these in my area!

Here is a shot of my Booga Bag In Progress (originally I wanted to do the Buttonhole Bag, but the needles and yarn cried out for Booga and I caved)

Yarn = Mauch Chunky in Blueberry, Blueberry Ice & Egglplant
Needles = US 10 1/2 24" circ & DPNs (for I-cord)

Since this shot I have done 1 wash cycle of the bag and yarn. Travel interruption though, so I'll do another cycle or 2 when I'm back home then shaping/drying.

Sending you good fuzzy knitting vibes! :thumbsup:

(Oh and the Fair Isle bug has apparently bitten me. Hard.)

sara_jayne
07-10-2006, 10:56 PM
:inlove: Marce that is beautiful!!!! (so are you!!!) :heart:

jamadian75
07-10-2006, 10:59 PM
:inlove: Marce that is beautiful!!!! (so are you!!!) :heart:

THANK YOU!! Right back at you too! :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-10-2006, 11:54 PM
YOU are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shandeh
07-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Hi Marce! I just checked out your blog. Nice life you have there!

My mouth dropped open when I read about your 10 day fast. Is that why your complexion looks so nice now? Amazing!

jamadian75
07-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Oh my, oh my!!! Let the blushing begin! :blush:

Thank you so much for the compliments :D

Caronlia Red - the fast/cleanse is great for so many things, and clear complexion is definitely a benefit. As well as better sleep and (of course) shedding a few pounds. :thumbsup:

If anyone ever wants to do a "Cleanse-A-Long" count me IN! ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Hmm... a cleanse along. I'd TOTALLY need support for THAT!

dplantlady
07-12-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi all,

Hilde, the link for felting early in this thread isn't working... :crying:

Finished the moebius cat basket on Monday morning! Ya know...it's like way too hot here to have something that wooly and that *large* hangin out on my lap at this time of the year...sheesh! Just wanted to finish that and be done with it ASAP!!!

Will do before & afters soon.

And now...back to counterpanes & Christmas presents!

Diane

Shandeh
07-12-2006, 02:13 PM
My felting experiment is in process now. I'm using two yarns that I spun on my spinning wheel, so they are perfect for felting! (I am still learning, and there are lots of thick and thin parts that would really stand out otherwise.)

So far, I've knit about 6 inches, and I'm not really sure how the final bag will turn out. Time will tell. :?

DragonTush
07-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Okay, I need to come up with a new project. I received this wonderful yarn from my SP and I want to use it! Any ideas?

Its Medium weight 100% wool...200 yds total.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h189/DragonTush/knitting%20stuff/spflash.jpg

I'm off to seek a new pattern. :D

jamiejeans
07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
oooh.. Sandy and DragonTush... both those yarns look great!

I plan to make a bag too, but can't help myself with all of the other projects I have going! If I didn't have to work for a living, then I'd be all over the felted bag thing already!

jamadian75
07-13-2006, 09:13 PM
You know you've been knitting alot when...

You come home from traveling to find that your SUPER AMAZING husband has acutally washed AND blocked your Booga Bag FOR YOU!!! And without any instructions or even a request to do so!! Can you imagine?!

<<SWOON>> I think I'll keep him. :heart: :heart:

I wonder if he's giving me a hint that he wants me to teach him to knit? :thinking:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-13-2006, 09:21 PM
:cheering: yay hubby!!! :cheering:

DragonTush
07-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Is he for sale Jamadian?? What a FINE hubby he is! :thumbsup: MIne looks at me all askance if I even hint that he might like knitting or anything related...and NOOOO way he would ever attempt anything like blocking. :??

Shandeh
07-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Now THAT's the kind of husband every knitter should have! :thumbsup:

sara_jayne
07-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Wow - how great of him!

The bag looks wonderful! :cheering:

DragonTush
07-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Okay, here is the bag I want to make...only I would like to make it bigger, incorporating both skeins I received from my SP.

http://www.knitkit.com/SpecialCompanion.htm

Can I just double all the numbers? Will it still turn out nice? or will I have a skewed looking bag? I really like how this one looks so I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

dplantlady
07-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi Dragon Tush,

The pattern gives suggestions for making it larger!

These bags can be made in different sizes.

The bag should be knit 1/3 to 1/2 again larger than the desired finished dimensions.

A good proportion for the width of the base is 1/2 to 2/3 of its length.

The height of the unfelted bag should be 40 to 50 % taller than the desired finished height after felting.

Suggestions for base proportions:

Cast on 16 stitches, work 8-10 ridges (16-20 rows)

Cast on 12 stitches, work 6-8 ridges (12-16 rows)

Cast on 20 stitches, work 10-12 ridges (20-24 rows)

So it'll just take some math...decide what dimensions you want your finished bag to be, then work backwards from there.

Good Luck!

Diane

projectgal
07-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I've been thinking about a felted bag inspired by the booga bag for a while, but I've been obsessing about the color scheme. Finally went to my LYS and forced myself to buy something! It was tough, but I did it. ;)

I left with two skeins of Plymouth Galaxy Highland Heather in 712 (aka chocolate brown) and Filatura Di Crosa color 127 (a limey green with varigated pieces in orange, eggplant, brown. Link (http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlinegen/currgen/FilaturaDiCrosa/127Print.asp?showLarge=true&specPCVID=4255)

The plan is to use brown as a base color and then put in some stripes with the green. I've doubled the yarn for the base, so I'll probably have to get another skein or two of the brown.

While traveling for the last few weeks, I've been working on cotton dishcloths. They are small, portable, and I chose some easy patterns so that I could talk and knit. I was starting to get bored. Until I cast on last night, I forgot how much I loved working with wool yarn! I think it was time for some wool even though it is SO HOT outside. Good call, Hilde! :thumbsup:

DragonTush
07-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks Dp...I did see those but was trying to just cheat the whole math thing lol. I'll read those instructions again and figure it out. Thanks again.
:?? :thumbsup:

jamadian75
07-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Finally Done! :D I'm so glad that this KAL came to inspire me to finish this on time. Things I'm happiest about with this project:

*I finished it ahead of schedule for my best bud's birthday in August :cheering:
*I actually did some hand sewing to put snaps at the top (a girl like me would forget and bend over with an open top purse and lose EVERYthing down a street sewer...I couldn't let that happen)
*I used a chunky wool yarn brand that was new to me (Mauch Chunky) and I LOVED it. I have enough left over for at least another mini felted bag.
*My hubby said that I shouldn't give this one away, I should use it to advertise... HA! A girl can dream...

Thanks again Hilde - loved this KAL! :thumbsup: Looking forward to the other FO's!

sara_jayne
07-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Marce that is STUNNING!!! Can I be your best bud? :rofling:

dplantlady
07-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Jamadian,

It's REALLY gorgeous!!!!

Good job :thumbsup:

Diane

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-17-2006, 03:31 PM
great bag, LOVE the snaps!!!

jamadian75
07-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Thank you so much! :blush: :heart:

aylaanne
07-17-2006, 07:49 PM
I didn't even realize this was the july challenge, I'm making a booga bag and hopefully starting a pair of clogs for my mom this month, plus I have a bunch of swatches to try felting that I got from my freecycle stash, I was actually going to seam them together and start a stashgan. :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-17-2006, 08:00 PM
cool!!

aylaanne
07-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Okay, here is the bag I want to make...only I would like to make it bigger, incorporating both skeins I received from my SP.

http://www.knitkit.com/SpecialCompanion.htm

Can I just double all the numbers? Will it still turn out nice? or will I have a skewed looking bag? I really like how this one looks so I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

I don't know about adjusting numbers, but now i want to buy every bag pattern that lady has. Those are CUTE bags!

SandraEllen
07-21-2006, 01:05 PM
ok. I felted last night. then i ran around the house trying to find a box or two that was just the right size.
unfortunately i didn't find it. =(

here's what i came up with. the box fit the bottom perfectly, but it's a little short for the bag. oh well. we'll see how it looks after it's dry.
http://www.brewerdigitalarts.com/knitting/images/booga_block.JPG

jamadian75
07-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Sandra - those colors look LOVELY! So perfect for summer! :inlove:

I think it's okay that the box doesn't stick out since that part of the bag will be pinched together.

SandraEllen
07-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks! My SIL picked them out.

I was hoping that the top wouldn't matter quite so much for the exact same reason...

Oh. and LOVE the fair isle on your bag, jamadian. It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-21-2006, 06:46 PM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Shandeh
07-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Sandra, those colors are BEAUTIFUL!!!! :heart:

SandraEllen
07-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Thank you all so much!!!
I finished both of them now and they are going to my SILs tomorrow. They both have birthdays this week :D

I can't believe how much i felted down the blue one. I love how thick it is. The green one was made smaller, but i didn't felt it as much because i didn't want it to be too small...
http://www.brewerdigitalarts.com/knitting/images/boogas_ac.jpg

projectgal
07-22-2006, 08:25 PM
I love the colors and the striping. They are BEAUTIFUL!

Tell us more. How did you design/plan the striping?

Shandeh
07-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Well...those are just......GORGEOUS!!!
http://bestsmileys.com/crying/3.gif
I'm reduced to tears by such beauty.

SandraEllen
07-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Thank you! Thank you!

The stripe generator is a web based one that DH and I wrote.

There's one at kissyourshadow.com and i just wasn't very happy with it. The colors weren't right for the yarn i wanted to use (WOTA) and you couldn't weight the colors differently so you couldn't have more of one color than another.

Mine calculates the number of cast on stitches and rows for a given size of bag after felting. From that, it calculates how many skeins of yarn of each color you will need.

It's not available online yet, but if people are interested, i can clean it up and make it available.

projectgal
07-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Ooh! I love that idea of the stripe generator! I've tried the one on kissmyshadow. I too felt limited on the color choices and weighing one color greater than another.

I'd love to try your version. As a money making venture, have you considered selling the program to Knitpicks? Especially if you feature the WOTA colors and number of skeins required, it would help them sell their product.

sara_jayne
07-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I hope to have pictures of my projects up soon. I've started and finished 5 felted bags this month...yes 5 and a 6th is OTN right now! They are all drying right now and I hope to get them lined, but I'll post pictures soon!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-27-2006, 05:54 PM
WOW! I like the stripes, too! I agree, talking to KP might be a good idea!

Can't wait to see them SJ! Are they all lucy bags?

dplantlady
07-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Well, here 'tis...my super enormous knitted (but not yet felted) moebius cat basket.

Didn't want to felt it before I got someone to take a pic.

I'm thinkin this thing is gonna fit *BOTH* my cats and then some! :shock:

Still hafta weave in ends & such... :rollseyes: Can you tell I'm not fond of doing the finishing? But then felting covers alot of that stuff, right? Just gotta make sure it doesn't all come apart in the process!

Diane

spooky
07-29-2006, 11:57 PM
I can't wait to see your kitty bed when it is done ! Those colors look awsome !!! Your Meow Meows are sure to love it !!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Can't wait to see it felted!!!! I like the colors.

My kitty bed has fallen by the wayside :help: (didn't I vow to finish it by some random tuesday a few weeks back? :oops: ) I did make a pair of kiddie FT clogs, AND I needle felted one... they are the "shop model" at the LYS, so I'll have to go up there to take a pic :-)

jamadian75
07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I :heart: the stuff you guys have finished and felted so far!!

sara_jayne
07-31-2006, 11:06 PM
I can't wait to see that bed felted Diane - the colors are great! I've debated knitting those for my dogs - they love to curl up in little balls (and the are little guys) - maybe one of these days.

Well, I'm posting on the last day of the month, but that counts right? I've actually done 5 felted projects all this month - from start to finish. For those of you who don't know two weeks ago (today) I fell and sprained both of my ankles pretty badly, so I've been on the couch for a few weeks (including working with my laptop!) - so that meant lots of extra knitting time! I'm happy about the extra time :cheering: but sad about the reason :rollseyes: ! Here are my projects!

Lucy #1 in Mmmmmmalabrigo (color way is Emerald Blue)! :cheering: This is the FIRST project I've kept for ME!! I LOVE it and I'm using it (it is full of my stuff). It is the perfect size (even though I put it in the dryer for too long and it shrunk :oops: ).
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/lucy1.jpg

Lucy #2 in Debbie Bliss Soho (Color #08 -). I knit this one the same size as Lucy #1 but it is about 2 times bigger! I did the handles for this in garter stitch instead of st st and I really like that alteration - you can't tell at all with the felting and there is no rolling on the handle. I knit this for my grandma but now I think it is too big and not practical so now I have an extra purse. Any takers? ;)
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/lucy2.jpg

Modified Rick Rack Purse # 1 - WOTA in Blue Bonnet & Tulip. I wanted to do two ribbons on each side but that didn't work out so I used i-cords to make the x's and I think it is cool! (the normal pattern calls for eyelets all around the middle to hold a ribbon) I needle felted the recipients name on the front and lined it.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/allie-whole.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/allie-side.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/allie-lining.jpg

Modified Rick Rack Purse #2 - WOTA Winter Night & Violet - I modified the handles on this one - no split handles for me! I needle felted the recipients initials and lined it.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/laura-whole.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/laura-lining.jpg

Modified Rick Rack Purse #3 - WOTA Tulip, Violet & Rain - I striped this one and didn't put the eyelets on it. I tried to do a twisted I cord handles but failed so I used needle felting with the Violet to make the handles one - I like the result. I surprised my neighbor with this one - she was thrilled. I love the lining on this - circles to go with stripes! Her co-workers think it is worthy of selling (which is always nice to hear!)
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/sara-whole.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/sara-lining.jpg

I had a fun time knitting all of these but I can't wait to move on to a big project again!

javede
08-01-2006, 01:42 AM
Wow, what a lot Sara! They all look fantastic :cheering:
And look how neet the lining is! You couldn't sew mine too, could you :lol:

Ah, well. I didn't finished my project and haven't even started my main felted project that I wanted to knit for this months challenge(bigger booga bag)...
I'll attach a pic of a slightly too big coin purse that still needs embellishment and lining(including a zipper). I forgot to take a before pic, but it was humongous before for a coin purse. Since the yarn is left over from a cozy, slightly thicker than fingering weight, I had to cast on 50 stitches and knit way over 80 rows(stopped counting at 50 rows).

Shandeh
08-01-2006, 04:54 AM
LOVE the bags, Sara! Great job!

I never finished my project either, but I'm not stopping.

jamadian75
08-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Outstanding sara_jayne!! Way to turn lemons into lemonade!! (or felted fabulousness as it were) :inlove:

Javede & Sandy - keep at it! Can't wait to see more pictures! :D

dplantlady
08-01-2006, 06:53 AM
Oh Sara_jayne,

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, but WOW!

Talk about making lemonade...they are simply gorgeous!!!

Especially the first 2...I just :heart: the colors!

GOOD JOB!!! :thumbsup: :cheering:

Diane

P.S. Hope your ankles are better soon... (I guess...)...but please don't let "getting better" hinder your production! ;)

aylaanne
08-02-2006, 04:48 AM
I made a booga! I finished it over a week ago, too, but was just too lazy to post pictures. To save KH's bandwidth, I'll just link to the thread where I posted my other recent FOs.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=224778#224778

jamadian75
08-02-2006, 09:10 AM
I saw the Monthly Challenge post for August and actually did a little "jig" before cliging on it. But NOOOOOOOO. I wad deniiiiiiiiiiiiied the pleasure of jumping into another project :verysad:

Can't wait to see what the Divine Miss H. is cooking up for us....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Jamadian, just WHO denied you?????? You know we do *not* put up with deniers here... we ONLY want ENABLERS!!!!

jamadian75
08-02-2006, 07:01 PM
LOL!! :roflhard:

I went in to the August Monthly Challenge link (along with 100 other people it seems) and found

TBA

And then I had an "AHA" moment. As in "AHA!!! That's what I get for thinking that I was going to find an excuse to cast on Project #357!"

Serves me right :oops:

Shandeh
09-26-2006, 04:26 AM
I ran out of my homespun yarn, and only had a rectangle when I finished knitting. I was going to fold it in half and make a purse, but decided to make a pillow instead. It's not felted, but it's MY yarn. I stuffed it with some "roving" I got on ebay that someone washed the wrong way, so it was one HUGE solid piece of felted merino wool. There was no way I could ever spin it, because it was ruined, but it worked perfectly as stuffing for my pillow!

jamadian75
09-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Nicely done Sandy!! You made good use of that roving AND your lovely homespun.

Shandeh
09-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks Marce! :muah:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-26-2006, 03:13 PM
beautiful!!!!!

Shandeh
09-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks Hildie! :heart:

I was glad to get some use out of that red merino wool, even though it was just used as stuffing.

I won the auction for it on eBay, and was so broken-hearted when I saw that some idiot had washed it wrong. It was just a solid mass of wool, that couldn't be pulled apart. Talk about a waste of good merino. :?