PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Intarsia/Duplicate stitch/stranded question...

Cristy
07-01-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm sure this will seem like a silly question once I see the answer--I'm sure I'm making this harder than it is....

I've never tried the intarsia/duplicated stitch method before but I just finished amy's videos b/c there is a baby hat I want to try w/ little hearts on it. In her videos, amy shows how to do it on a piece of work that is already several inches long. I get *how* to do it but how do you begin??? What method do you use for adding in the cc when you get to the point that the pattern calls for it? does it matter? I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use the duplicate stitch join at the point that I need the cc or if there is a better way...

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Ingrid
07-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I think this is the most commonly intarsia question asked. To be honest, I don't really know what the duplicate stitch join is off hand, and I've been avoiding the videos because some of them freeze my computer. You can just tie a loose knot to untie and weave in later.

Cristy
07-01-2006, 07:50 PM
hehe...that is the duplicate stitch join Ingrid! :)

Thanks for your help...I've never done that type of join so I'll have to go back and look at the right way to weave the ends (I think you have to twist the yarn?).

Ingrid
07-01-2006, 08:15 PM
I've found that the best way to weave in ends with intarsia is to try to sew them in along the border of the two colors so nothing shows through and the back stays as neat as possible.

If the hearts on the hat are in a line, though, stranded knitting is probably the way to go.

Cristy
07-01-2006, 08:50 PM
stranded knitting? I think that's why amy is now calling duplicate stitch instead of intarsia...not sure...I'll have to go and check.

The hearts are all in a row...

Cristy
07-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Ingrid--stranded is what I was referring to...Amy has a note posted by the "intarsia" video that she refers to it incorrectly (as intarsia) in the video that intarsia is the "method" by which a piece of knitting is created using the stranded method of knitting w/ color. It's all news to me since I've never done any of it but I was a little confused at first b/c I was looking for the "intarsia" video--same video but now with a different name...

Thanks again for all of your help--I'll post some pics once I get started to show how I'm doing...just thought I'd try something new...

Ingrid
07-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Knitting with different colors is really a lot of fun! :thumbsup: