PDA

View Full Version : *Update* - Addi Turbos tarnishing/discoloring-Solution Found

sfavereau
07-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm so heartbroken. All my addis tarnish/discolor within a few hours of use. What is wrong with me?

DH told me to clean using a vinegar solution and I did, but it's not really helping at all.

Jan in CA
07-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I've never heard of that happening! Do you have a problem with jewelry? Where did you buy them?

Ingrid
07-03-2006, 12:39 PM
I've had some of my Addis for years and nothing like that has ever happened. Do you use some kind of lotion that may cause the discoloration? Does it come off on your yarn? :??

sfavereau
07-03-2006, 12:42 PM
No, it's me... I do that to anything gold plated too. I want to cry.

Jan in CA
07-03-2006, 12:47 PM
No, it's me... I do that to anything gold plated too. I want to cry.

That's what I thought...some sort of chemical reaction. I'm not sure there is anything you can do. If they still work and it doesn't come off on your knitting I don't see it as being a problem other than cosmetic. I understand your being upset though. :heart:

sfavereau
07-03-2006, 12:51 PM
They still work, but they are definitely not as slick as they were when I opened the package.

I wonder what is wrong with me that this is happening?? I'm 28 and I've never had a cavity. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Too basic/not acidic enough? LOL

skNYC
07-03-2006, 01:06 PM
How about try clean it with the solution you use for jewlry ?

Ingrid
07-03-2006, 01:10 PM
They still work, but they are definitely not as slick as they were when I opened the package.

I wonder what is wrong with me that this is happening?? I'm 28 and I've never had a cavity. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Too basic/not acidic enough? LOL

It could be that your body has a bizarre reaction to certain foods, or if you're taking any kind of medication, including herbal, that could do it. It would be worth a trip to the doctor to find out.

sfavereau
07-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm not on any medications and I've taken gold plating off jewelry ever since I can remember. With the Addis, I don't think the nickel-plating has come off... I think it just might have reacted with something. I'm going to try some kind of mild basic solution later on today and see if it works.

mornnen
07-03-2006, 01:53 PM
I wonder what is wrong with me that this is happening??

Sounds like it could be a nickel metal allergy. I have one. Can't ever wear the stuff in my pierced ears without problems. If you do a google search, about 15% of folks have one. And it would explain the gold plating thing as well-- most gold used in jewelry is not pure (including plating) but an alloy that contains quantities of nickel. To find out if you are allergic you can have patch tests done.

But that doesn't solve your discolored needle problem :(
Maybe a jeweler would know about restoring the luster to tarnished nickel?

Julie

Julie
07-03-2006, 02:32 PM
What a bummer! :(

I just wanted to add...don't waste too much time looking for something to restore the lustre to nickel...I have a nickel plated flute that got severly tarnished, and we looked for years for someone who could restore it...no luck. Nickel is tough that way. :(

Angelia
07-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Oh Steph! :(

It does sound like your body's reacting chemically to the needles. Stink!

sfavereau
07-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah, nothing is working... oh well.

Maybe I'll just have to knit with gloves from now on. LOL

This happens with needles too (when I used to cross-stitch).

What sucks is that I ordered the knitpicks ones too and I know the same thing will happen.

Cristy
07-03-2006, 05:35 PM
I've heard this happens as result of the acidity (sp?) level in your body--my mom has the same problem and can't wear certain jewlery b/c of it...it happened to my great aunt too...I don't know if that's the real reason but that's the one that has always been given to me.

Limey
07-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Left you a PM

Best Wishes

Limey

knittingdoula
07-03-2006, 07:32 PM
How about painting the Addis with a very tough clear nail polish? Something like OPI? That might help, I dunno. I'm really not an expert in this area. Good luck, though. Sucks ....

Alison

Angelia
07-03-2006, 07:48 PM
My mother used to do that to her jewelry because most of it gave her a rash. It worked well!

Cristy
07-03-2006, 09:01 PM
would it mess up their "slickness"? I'm so sorry you're having this problem! Did you say it happens w/ crochet hooks too? dh says that if it can't be polished out that a lacquer of some sort (clear, of course) might be your best bet. I'd just worry about the consistency of the needles afterwards--I know I'd never be able to paint something evenly.

Limey
07-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi

I've had a good mooch around internet and unfortunately, the stuff I can buy here is only manufactured in Europe and is not suitable for putting on an aircraft! either inside or outside, for that matter.

Maybe some good news though - I've come across a couple of products that may help restore the metal to how it was when you bought the Addis and a coating that might go some way to protecting the metal.

Pinnacle Supplies in Miami have a website:www.watchpolishing.com

They have Brushed Satin Finish which is claimed to restore and maintain most metals - leaving them with a smooth finish.

They also supply an anti-scratch coating for watch faces, eye glasses, CDs -

It's worth a shout checking their website and their -e.mail:sales@propolish.com because they certainly seem a very professional, old-fashioned company.

Maybe get in touch and explain the problem - I'm sure they'll do their best to help you.

If the worst comes to the worst and you get no joy, I'll get you a pair of Addis - coat them and mail them over to you - us KNITS are not so easily thwarted. Please let me know how you get on.

Good Luck

Limey

PS - Don't use vinegar or anything containing an acid

Cristy
07-03-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm determined to find a way to help you....

dh says if you wanna try a metal polish...try brasso...we use it on our ipods and it takes out scratches....maybe it'd help?

sfavereau
07-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks everyone!!!! I'm going to give these suggestions a shot and let you guys know what happens.

sfavereau
07-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Well, Cristy, you did it!! Brasso did the trick and can be found at Wally World for less than $3! I knew the nickel hadn't come off and it was just a matter of polishing it. The needles are now shiny and slick again.

Thanks to everyone who responded!!! Now I can use my new KnitPicks needles and not worry about the tarnish.

Angelia
07-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Yay Steph!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

And yay Cristy!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Friskums
08-29-2006, 10:57 AM
I've been using my Knitpicks needles, and for some reason they are discoloring as well.

I'll have to pick up some of that Brasso stuff and give it a shot.

rebecca
08-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks so much for the Brasso tip! I'm afraid that this has happened with me with a few of my addis, too. I think it was the lotion I was wearing, I now don't wear lotion when knitting...which is killing me because I LOVE lotions.

Friskums
08-29-2006, 03:28 PM
I think it might have been my lotion too.

Friskums
08-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Woohoo!! It works great! :thumbsup: