PDA

View Full Version : okay, next question...

Julie
07-03-2006, 11:17 PM
So I just wound my freshly-spun yarn (about an ounce of roving) into a skein, and while doing so I was all giddy and encouraged...it really looked less craptastic near the end when I felt more like I knew what I was doing. :thumbsup:

BUT, when I went to wash the skein I was all :shock: :shock: :shock: because it's obviously, horribly, embarrassingly overspun. At least that's what it looks like to me. It's all curly all over the place....and I was thinking that the wash would relax it a bit....but that doesn't appear to be the case. :shock:

I'm just not sure how I could spin it any less, KWIM? Any suggestions or words of wisdom??

VickiIL
07-03-2006, 11:20 PM
My singles are always pretty overspun as well....although they are getting better. I will say that when you ply the singles, it takes a lot of the "kinkiness" out of it. Now since I can't spindle to save my life...I have no idea how to ply on a single.

Also drying your singles with a weight (I use a filled spray water bottle and hang it on the yarn as it dries) will help pull "some" of the kinkiness but not all.

Julie
07-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks Vicki :D

It looks a wee bit better this morning...still has that first-timer charm though ;)

Silver
07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
The good thing about handspun yarns, is that you can't do it wrong. Overspun, underspun, thick, thin, thick/thin, lumpy... whatever. They're ALL gorgeous.

Shandeh
07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
When I want to use mine as a single ply, I run it back through my spinning wheel in the opposite direction. It takes the kink right out.

midnightskyfibers
08-02-2006, 10:44 PM
WHen youre spinning, instead of keeping it spinning right up until you wind it on, stop it and draft out a bit more fiber to get rid of some of the extra kink.