PDA

View Full Version : COZY Shawl Pattern

kareBear
07-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I am trying to make the Cozy shawl and why isn't this pattern working out for me, or at least I don't think it is. I am newer to knitting so I need some help.

Row 3 the pattern does not end with what is in the brackets. Do I just repeat the pattern until I can't go any farther or is it suppose to end with the last stitch in the bracket.

Also I completed up until row 6 and now I have more than 85 stiches.

UGH! HELP! :?? :?? :??

knitqueen
07-04-2006, 06:46 PM
I was just looking at the pattern, and it looks to me like every row should begin and end with the same # of stitches. I think that if row 3 does not end with a complete repeat of the brackets, something went amiss in row 1 already. If you notice, each row has an equal number of increases (the yo's, in this case) and decreases (k2tog or k2tog tbl) which means that the stitch count should remain the same.

Sorry, I only have a moment right now, but if you would like me to go through the pattern with you, row by row, I'd be happy to do so. I'll check back in later. :D

sara_jayne
07-04-2006, 08:39 PM
KareBear -

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with Cozy!

I knit this in May and it took me a while to get hang of the pattern but once I did it went fine.

What I suggest you do (and it seems extreme) is put a stitch marker after each pattern repeat (so 1 after the first 7 stitches then one every six stitches from there). That will help you make sure that when you do a pattern repeat you have 6 stiches. You may also want to use a life line after each set of 8 rows incase something goes wrong then you can "rescue" it as needed!

Row 3: K1, [YO, k1, sl1, k2tog, psso, k1, YO, k1] to end.

Be sure that you are doing the part in red correctly - this is taking 3 stitches and turning it into one - could that be where the problem is??

If hope you are able to figure out what the problem is! If you have any other questions just let us know!

kareBear
07-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Maybe this is the problem like you mentioned.

Row 3: K1, [YO, k1, sl1, k2tog, psso, k1, YO, k1] to end.

Isn't this taking 5 stitches and turning it into 3? I slip one stitch from left to right needle, knit the next two together onto the right needle then for PSSO slip one stitch from left to right knit next stitch then take the slip stitch over the knit stitch to make one. Correct? If not then this is my problem.

What is a life line?

Karen

kareBear
07-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Okay, I just looked at the abbreviation portion and I see how you said that takes three into one. I was taking each abbreviation separately. :thumbsup:

Let me try this now.

Still what is a life line?

Karen

knitqueen
07-04-2006, 09:01 PM
On this page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php under the heading "Fixing Mistakes" you will find a video for inserting a lifeline. Lifelines are particularly useful in lace projects because if you have to rip back for any reason it is next to impossible to pick up the stitches properly, with all the increases and decreases and eyelets and all that. A lifeline allows you to rip back to a particular row and be able to put your stitches back on the needle without fear of losing stitches. It is like insurance in case you make a mistake!

sara_jayne
07-05-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm glad that you were able to figure it out - the increases and decreases can be difficult to count - I still struggle which is why I use all the stitch markers!

I hope the life line makes sense too - it really can be a "save" if you've made a mistake and you can't find where it is. I am working on a scarf and I didn't use a life line and regreted it!

If you have any other questions about Cozy (or anything else) let us know!