ChroniclesofYarnia
07-05-2006, 11:38 AM
What do you think?

brendajos
07-05-2006, 11:52 AM
i think you were mean not to link it so i didn't have to type! :P

yeah i ain't linkin' it either then! hmph

hehe (it seems i may be bratty today)

i am more than a little amused by the sock monkey hat! and while i didn't have a lot of time to look, this one looks like the most interesting one i have seen in a while! i give it a :thumbsup: so far!

cheesiesmom
07-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Love all the socks and fingerless gloves. But I can't bring up half the articles. Obviously, there's a lot of traffic.

I wonder what my boss would think of the monkey sock hat for christmas??? :rofling:

ctmax
07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I can't see the new patterns. I still see spring of 06.

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-05-2006, 12:16 PM
ctmax, try deleting your cookies and going again.

I particularly like the sock monkey hat, dancing lady socks, maze, manresa, swell, and perdita. That is alot of knitty for me to particularly like in one issue, so kudos!

My knitpicks (hee) are:

1. Bad frontpage choice. I believe I saw wristwarmers just like that at craftster quite some time ago, and there have been plenty since. They are pretty, but no unique...and I expect knitty to live up to the unique bar that they have set for themselves in the past.

2. Wings? really?

3. The Lanacau "sandals" are not my style, and I normally wouldn't say anything, but no way can those be worn outside. You could get some suede and sew it on the bottom and that would be accurate, but as is, no way.

I'm already printing out some patterns to start for Christmas gifts. :)

brendajos
07-05-2006, 12:16 PM
i am LOVIN' on the concept of the knucks but that is a LOT of instruction for my little brain to be able to deal with. i tend to get distracted in the middle and forget to follow along when there is that much instruction!

feministmama
07-05-2006, 12:18 PM

There are prolly sooooooo many people trying to gete a good look that it slows down loading. You know how us knittin folk get when the new Knitty is up. I think I'll just wait till later today

Jackie F.
07-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Here's my honest opinion of the latest knitty - and I might be alone in my thoughts...

This is a rare event for me in the world of knitting, but I am going to complain! :o Usually, knitty has at least a couple of patterns that I would knit (I just knit Katja from the last issue.) Not this time! I thought this was the summer issue - why all the winter hats?! Socks can be knit during any season of the year, so the sock patterns are OK to include. But, winter hats, muffs, and *bleeping* angel wings that only a loony or a Victoria's Secret model would wear? :mad: Come ON!!! :fingerwag:

brownishcoat
07-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Have you tried clearing your cache or deleting temporary internet files? You could also try holding down the shift key while you click "Refresh".

Jan in CA
07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
eeeehhhh.... nothing for me there again. :rollseyes:

brendajos
07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Here's my honest opinion of the latest knitty - and I might be alone in my thoughts...

This is a rare event for me in the world of knitting, but I am going to complain! :o Usually, knitty has at least a couple of patterns that I would knit (I just knit Katja from the last issue.) Not this time! I thought this was the summer issue - why all the winter hats?! Socks can be knit during any season of the year, so the sock patterns are OK to include. But, winter hats, muffs, and *bleeping* angel wings that only a loony or a Victoria's Secret model would wear? :mad: Come ON!!! :fingerwag:

lol i usually think that about most of the Knitty stuff....usually just to weird for me or just too much work for me (seriously i am the world's laziest knitter!...more than 3 instructions and i am out! ;) )

i never paid much attention to when the patterns show up and the seasons and all that but i would think it is kind of like why we are finding fall and winter stuff in the stores now. time to start knitting it in order to be done by the right season? works out well in my head anyway...(that shouldn't be reassuring to anybody! :rofling: )

kellyjo32
07-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Nothing all that exciting pattern-wise, but I will say I really like the idea of knitting back backwards. And they explained it so well. Can't wait to try it out! Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if this helps to keep stockinette from rolling?! Just curious! :thinking:

mulene
07-05-2006, 01:19 PM
lol was about to post I just got the mail...

JLC
07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Eh...nothing that really impressed me. I've been looking for something challenging and I was hoping the new knitty would have something I liked. Oh well.

butterflymama
07-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Okay so I am a FL girl who just moved to a state with seasons. Can someone exlplain fingerless gloves to me? I thought your fingers were the first to get cold and last to get warm? I mean, if you want to wear gloves, you need them because of your fingers, right? Or no? I am not at all trying to be snarky, I am honestly just curious.

Jan in CA
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
You're not alone, Alicia. They don't make sense to this California girl either. :lol:

Nimmie
07-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Erm....I liked the angel wings... :thinking:

earthchick
07-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Some cute stuff, some so-so stuff, and a lot of stuff I will never knit. But OMG I have to make my boys the sock monkey hats! I think they are too cute, esp. since I'm hoping to make some actual sock monkeys for my boys for Christmas this year (not knitted - just handsewing the socks).

Re: fingerless gloves. I've never worn them myself, but I think I get the concept. Sometimes in the winter, my office can be quite cold, and my hands in particular feel it. I still need to be able to do computer work, but wearing gloves just doesn't cut it. So fingerless gloves would kinda make sense for that purpose. Maybe.

brendajos
07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Okay so I am a FL girl who just moved to a state with seasons. Can someone exlplain fingerless gloves to me? I thought your fingers were the first to get cold and last to get warm? I mean, if you want to wear gloves, you need them because of your fingers, right? Or no? I am not at all trying to be snarky, I am honestly just curious.

wellllllllll the best thing to use to keep them warm is a big ol' pair of mittens. unfortunately you can't do too much else beyond wave your hands around with mittens because you have no use of the fingers....and gloves aren't great either i think because you are still working with bulk there. (and ATMS and things don't work that great with gloves! ;) ) sooooooo there is the fingerless glove. My favorite pair i have though is a convertable pair and i think you could easily do that with the Knucks pattern...or pretty much any pattern. Just make a little cup like thing to attach to the fingerless gloves when it is supah cold that you can flip off your fingers when you need them. i bought a pair lonnnnnng before i started knitting and fell completely in love with them. they are getting tattered though. it may be time to start working on my own pair! :thumbsup:

humblestumble
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
This is the first issue in a while that has something I would knit. I just bought geta shoes, so the tabi sock pattern rocks. I'm liking the wristwarmers, but I wont be knitting those for a while...it's summer here and usually about 100 degrees. Forget it.

I also like the idea of the gloves, and the fingerless gloves, but again it's summer here.

The sockmonkey hat is cute, but I don't want that much attention and I've never made a sock monkey. I like the lilies, and the halfdome, and swell patterns. Although, it's hot, like I said. And I have no use for lillies. I think I would make swell without the flaps.

Manresa is good for a night at the beach, but I don't stay that late.

There are some other good ideas, but I probably would never knit them or wear them. The angel wings seem to be for the teens or twenty somethings perhaps, and I being that, slightly thought about it but then though 'nah'. Plus, I think they could have a better design, but I'm not about to complain when I will never attempt to make them or wear them.

VickiIL
07-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Some of the sock patterns are nice but other than that....I'm not impressed this time.

Wings???

Friskums
07-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Coming from a seasons state girl (until just recently) in my opinion fingerless gloves are purely just for the look of it. When it's COLD outside, there's no way I'm letting my fingers in the elements.

Normally, you were the gloves while your outside, and when you go inside and need to use your fingers you take your gloves off. It's that simple.

Now, the "convertable" gloves/mittens are great idea and I love them. then you don't have the hassle of taking the whole glove off. Which lessens the chance of losing on in the store. :lol:

That all being said, I've always loved fingerless gloves. While I've always been under the impression that they're more of a fashion statement then a neccessity, that doesn't mean I enjoy them any less.
(Though I'll be using the pattern from the Cigar gloves as it's knit on 2 circs and nice and easy. ^_^)

AidanM
07-05-2006, 03:22 PM
I haven't read any of it yet, but from the sound of it I won't be terribly impressed. I'm still frustrated by the lack of garment patterns for men. There are only so many hats, scarves, and gloves that a guy can take. And even then, the only other patterns for men seem to be cardigans or pullovers.

There just seems to be a lot more variety in the kinds and in the styles of women's patterns. :\

CarmenIbanez
07-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Eh. I'm underwhelmed.

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-05-2006, 03:53 PM
The fingerless gloves used to be called wristwarmers. What you do is you have a some of those stretchy gloves, or even regular gloves, but they aren't that long, do you get that little draft between the gloves and your coat. So, you put your little gloves on, THEN your wristwarmers, and then your jacket, and you are good to go.

They are mostly just for style now, so you can look a little more BoHo, a.k.a. homeless, while you strut around the city. Unless you play clarinet in the marching band, I don't see a big use for such things.

jodstr2
07-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I like Swell and Manresa.

hedgehog
07-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Ick... I don't like any of them.

Socks don't excite me in general (i rarely wear them) so they're out...

Lacanau?? WTH?? "sandals" that don't fit and are completely useless?

I don't get fingerless gloves either and i grew up in the cold north. Cover them all the way or it's too warm to wear 'em! :)

And what's with all the hats that don't fit well?? Some of them look like they would pop right back off of the head! *boing!*

Nothing there for me.

-hh

AidanM
07-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Noticed something a bit ironic...
Over on knitty's board, everyone is going nuts over the new issue and they're totally in love with it. :rofling: I guess maybe we should all join there so we have more of a voice in what's going on over there! lol

Angelia
07-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Maybe we should visit their forum, Aidan! I'm not excited about anything in the new issue, either. Phooey! :(

I wore fingerless gloves in the house all the time last winter (I made making my first pair last fall). Keeping my wrists warm really did help keep entire hands warm, plus I could do things like grade papers, type, etc., and be cozy. Outside is a different matter completely--mittens, not gloves, are the bestest for handwarming abilities. :thumbsup:

melinphx
07-05-2006, 07:20 PM
I live in the Phoenix area, and had a job in the IT department of an insurance repricing company for just over 10 years. I ended up "making" my own hand warmers from an old pair of black spandex knee-highs (this was long before re-discovering the joys of knitting), by cutting off the toes and slitting open thumb holes.

People here seem to always end up keeping the AC on full blast and frigid-d-d-d-d here in the summer-time!

-Melanie

Friskums
07-05-2006, 07:24 PM
I always wore a pair of those black little gloves and then a nice big pair of mittens.

My fingers are always so cold though. :(

carollovesyarn
07-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, this California gal wore her fingerless mittens all the time on the computer and knitting last winter. I still have the use and dexterity of my fingers, but the warmth of the mitts kept my fingers warm too even tho they weren't covered.

I thought Fetching was lovely, but it looked vaguely familiar to me too. They're on my to do list - they're very much me and not for a fashion statement. I like Knucks for the personalization aspect, but I prefer fingerless mitts to gloves. I like the idea of adding embroidery to my knits, so I may have to try this on some mitts.

Tulip toes are cute, but I have no baby to knit for.

Hmmm, a Muff?!?

RPM looks like another pattern I've seen, http://www.tanagersongfarm.com/fiber_arts/socks.html

Google 'Klein Bottle Hat' and you'll find the other patterns that already exist.

Sock Monkeys are evil, so I will avoid that one. :P

Hmmmm. Hope the surprise is good.

ladyindica2000
07-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Ok, I may be shunned for this, but I am in love with the new Knitty. I really want to knit Perdita, Fetching, Baudelaire (so pretty), Swell, and most especially Widdershins. I have been looking for a toe up pattern for fingering weight sock yarn for a while and this also has instructions for a cabled pair too.

The rest I could take or leave. I am not a sock monkey fan, nor am I a big "wing" person, but I love how many patterns there are and the variety that goes along with it. Most of the time the Knitty they put out feels lacking in the ammount of patterns given that it is only produced every few months. But, I guess getting submissions is tough too.

All in all I am very happy. I can't wait to find the perfect yarn to make Baudelaire. Normally I like hand painted, but this pattern feels as though it calls for a solid...

*Ok ducking now* Please don't throw things at me ;)

nanonette
07-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Rather underwhelmed myself, although I think I understand the intent of the issue - quick knits for holiday gifts? I was hoping for a garment or two and some lace, which is almost as popular as socks these days.

Gotta love the creativity though!

melinphx
07-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Oh yeah... I was also going to comment on Knitty's pattern choices... the editor has this little bit in her Scoop from the editor section:

next summer's issue will be full of hot-weather yums and neat layering bits.

I've just started going back through their archives, but I'm only up to Summer 2003 so far, so maybe they started doing a Winter in Summer theme in the last couple of years (umm, no doesn't really look like it from the covers when I browse those... dunno!).

I'm feeling like we're being denied... where are the tops?

-Melanie

carollovesyarn
07-05-2006, 08:55 PM
No shunning here! I like Baudelaire! The more sock patterns the better!

I'm not looking for any reinventions. I think there was creativity and some whimsey. I've found 3 things to make.

Sometimes tho the whimsey is a little much, but what do we want for free?

DoulaLyndsey
07-05-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty underwhelmed too. Being in south Florida, I don't have much use for warm winter hats and mittens. Those tulip booties are cute, though, I think I may knit those for a friend whose having a baby girl next month. All in all, I'm disappointed, I was hoping for some cute summer tops, or something.

Andrea
07-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Nobody's mentioned Tulip Toes, which I thought was kind of cute for a baby shower gift :thinking:

I do like RPM and Perdita (but I don't know if I could do the beads and DMC floss!)

Other than that, I'm not too crazy about the hats, muff, or wings... ;)

butterflymama
07-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the tutorial on fingerless gloves! I think I get it now. Of course, I will have to make some just to try it out. :lol:

Shandeh
07-06-2006, 12:23 AM
In the winter, I love to wear fingerless gloves, because of my arthritis. Also, I'm so cold-natured. I like to wear leg warmers too for the same reason.

But, they are NOT for public viewing. I only wear them in the house.

Shandeh
07-06-2006, 12:29 AM
In my opinion, Knitty is too concerned with being "cool" this time. Maybe this is the teen issue? Or maybe I'm just too old-fashioned.

But I LOVED the sexy issue they did once. That was fun. So, I'm not THAT old-fashioned. ;)

feministmama
07-06-2006, 12:42 AM
I really like swell. I have some Borocco Ultra Alpaca that would love great in this pattern. (The model is a little hotty too :eyebrow: ) I thought this issue had small things cuz no one wants to knit a big ole honkin huge sweater in the summer but small things arre less so. Some of it's kinda umm yeah not so much but ya know, one knitters blah is another knitters yeah haw.

mulene
07-06-2006, 04:16 AM
I like swell and the half dome too - I know a lovely brother of mine will adore that in the cols midwinter of Australia!

MMK
07-06-2006, 08:34 AM
I thought the patterns were fun, but not many I'd knit. What disappoints me are the articles. Usually I learn something really cool, but I'm not really feeling it with this issue. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough?

DotMom61
07-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I was really hoping this (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTjulie.html) would be cool. :verysad:

brownishcoat
07-06-2006, 03:11 PM
:shock: Oh, no…they used your name in vain! :shock:

DotMom61
07-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Isn't it sad? And that blasphemous bauble is less than baublelicious. Ick. I was hoping it was going to be a stupendous wrap or a lovely pair of lacy socks, a fabulous felted bag or even a scarf. Not a barfy-looking, oversized, gaudy monstrosity. I can't believe something that hideous came from Jordana Paige.

Again, I say :verysad:

brendajos
07-06-2006, 03:49 PM
*changes her Christmas idea for Julie....*

:verysad:

DotMom61
07-06-2006, 03:52 PM
:lol: ... glad I got the word out before it was too late! :roflhard:

Jan in CA
07-06-2006, 03:55 PM
I was really hoping this (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTjulie.html) would be cool. :verysad:

Oh you should definitely make yourself one! :lol:

AidanM
07-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I know girls who wear necklaces like that - albeit, the baubles on theirs are much smaller and were faintly cute.

DotMom61
07-06-2006, 08:44 PM
albeit, the baubles on theirs are much smaller and were faintly cute.

And this is the key, isn't it? ;-)

AidanM
07-06-2006, 09:16 PM
albeit, the baubles on theirs are much smaller and were faintly cute.

And this is the key, isn't it? ;-)
Indeed. *nods sagely*