PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nausea

07-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Okay, I know what you are thinking when you read the topic, but I can't be pregnant. :thinking: I've been on the pill forever, but I did just change to a new one 2 weeks ago. Nah, that couldn't be it.

Okay here's the deal, the last 3 days after I ate I became quite nauseated for the rest of the night.

1st night (Wed): Hubby made chicken fettuccini (sp?). He makes it homemade as I can't take any other kind (Lactose intolerant). VERY sick.

2nd day (Thur): I had it again for lunch, had to make sure it wasn't this meal making me ill. Got sick again. Not as bad, but enough to make me immobile.

3rd night (Fri): Had Chicken nuggets & French fries, got slightly ill, not as bad as first night.

Now are you thinking its the chicken? Well, I would too, except its the same chicken we always buy.

I was wondering if its the fat content in the foods? Although I have no clue why it would all of a sudden make me feel like hurling. I take pepcid daily and it has helped some, but that first night, whew, that was nasty.

So far today I'm feeling fine.

Any thoughts?

nicolethegeek
07-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Could you have gotten a bad batch of chicken? :thinking:

Ingrid
07-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Too much fat can make you feel bad if you have gall bladder issues. It could be that you have a bit of a bug. Eat light for a few days and see if it improves. Being nauseous for any length of time just wears you out. Hope you feel better, soon.

rebecca
07-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I agree with Ingy...sounds like a bit of a bug. I sure hope you feel better quickly, nothing makes you feel as vile as nausea..yuck!

07-08-2006, 02:40 PM
nothing makes you feel as vile as nausea..yuck!

I hear you.

As for a bad batch of chicken, wouldn't it make me sick to my stomach?

The thing is, I'm not one of those who gets the flu, ever. I can't tell you the last time I had a date with the porcelin god. :rofling: (I amaze myself sometimes)

I guess I'll have to take a wait and see approach although I'd rather not and feel fine right away!!

Its amazing how the body changes so fast. One day it likes something, the next, mmmmm, not anymore. Strange.

cheesiesmom
07-08-2006, 02:53 PM
I agree. You probably just have a bug or some bad poultry or too fatty a meal, but...

In the last 5 or so years, I have become intolerant to certain foods. Initially, just shrimp, scallops, then all sorts of seafood/fish (even anchovies in commercially produced Caesar dressing), and bleu cheese. Weird, huh? It's not an allergy, just an intolerance meaning very gastro-intestinal sick, if you get my drift. (I'd kill for a plate of shrimp or crablegs.)

I've heard of this sort of thing happening to other people, so it isn't impossible that you could go all your life eating a particular food only to suddenly have a reaction to it. Seafood is notorious for this, but it happens with other foods, too. Keep track of what you're eating and if it occurs again, I'd check in with the doctor. (As Ingrid pointed out, gall bladder could be the culprit.)

Hope you feel better soon.

janelanespaintbrush
07-08-2006, 05:48 PM
It seems like your husband would also have gotten sick if you got a bad batch of chicken, don't you think?

Anyway, I wanted to suggest some things for nausea. Ginger works wonders. Capsules are available, but you can also drink gingerale or eat foods containing ginger. I like candied ginger myself. Just make sure that if you use the capsules, don't take them on an empty stomach. You will get a major tummy ache.

Ume (Japanese pickled plum) is also very good, but it's an acquired taste.

Benadryl (used for allergies) is great for nausea, but it can have the side effect of sleepiness so don't take it unless you're planning to go to bed. Dramamine (sea sickness medicine) is similar.

Maybe you already know about this stuff, but I thought I'd mention it since you said you don't get sick a lot. I can't stand feeling nauseous.

caviar
07-08-2006, 08:52 PM
My SIL got pregnant with their first child while on the pill. I don't want to scare you, but if you were indeed pregnant from last cycle, this would be about the time you would start getting sick. If it were me, I would take a pregnancy test just to know whether to stop taking the pill or not.

Beyond that...

Things that are safe to try, pregnant or not, are the aforementioned ginger, a syrup called Emitrol (I've had limited success with that) or Unisom (same principle as Benadryl or Dramamine). Unisom was banned years and years ago for pregnant women as an anti-naseau, but more recent research has shown that there is absolutely no statistical link between it and any harm to the baby. (It's what my doctors recommend for morning sickness.) But as with any information you get over the internet, check this out yourself, making sure not just to look at a lot of sources, but good quality sources.

Hope you feel better!

Kirstin

07-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Wow, Benadryl, hey? I would never have known that. Thanks and it doesn't make me sleepy so that's a good thing.

I do know about the Emetrol, I have it by my bedside always. I know I said I don't get the flu, but a few yrs ago I was always feeling ill and found out about it and LOVE it. The taste isn't too horrible and it really helps me a lot. :D

JLPB, I too thought of this myself (hubby getting ill also) but just figured that he had a stronger stomach than me. Although he too suffers from Reflux. So far today I'm doing great. And I even had an ice cream cone (no fat in that baby) :rofling: and I'm fine. So maybe it was just a little bug of some sort. The funny thing is, is that I am usually never in contact with anyone. I'm a homebody. I don't work, just a temporary thing till we move, so I'm like, How could I get the flu?

I did take the mail from the mail carrier on thurs? that doesn't explain Wed evening's awful episode. I guess it'll have to remain a mystery.

We do want to start trying to have a baby soon, but not quite yet, so I'm a bit skeptical about that being the cause. I never miss a pill. I do realize that it happens to some women, but I'm not that lucky. :(

Maybe hubby brought it home and it jumped from him to me!! That's the kind of luck I have!!

Robin R
07-08-2006, 11:24 PM
I hope it is something that passes very quickly! :D Hopefully it was just a bug and it will soon be a distant memory. :)

Mrs.H
07-08-2006, 11:32 PM
I hate to say this, but if you changed your b.c. recently you may very well be pg. That's why they advise using a back up method for a few weeks, until your body adjusts to the new pills. When it comes to being lactose intolerant, that can be the bane of my existence! Most people with this can eat yogurt, aged cheeses without any suffering at all, not me. If it's made with cows milk I have to take 2 of the ultra tablets or pass on it altogether, and I love dairy products. Have you switched the brand or strength of dairy tablets you use recent? That could have done it also. It's worth thinking about.
Linda

Mrs.H
07-08-2006, 11:33 PM
I hate to say this, but if you changed your b.c. recently you may very well be pg. That's why they advise using a back up method for a few weeks, until your body adjusts to the new pills. When it comes to being lactose intolerant, that can be the bane of my existence! Most people with this can eat yogurt, aged cheeses without any suffering at all, not me. If it's made with cows milk I have to take 2 of the ultra tablets or pass on it altogether, and I love dairy products. Have you switched the brand or strength of dairy tablets you use recent? That could have done it also. It's worth thinking about.
Linda

smartcat
07-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Another possibilty is that the new bc could be messing with your body chemisty somehow. When I am on bc I am more lactose intolerant than when I am not. Different chemicals do different things to different people, so if you continue to have problems and are not pregnant, you might talk to your doctor about possible problems from the bc. My doctor swears that my lactose intolerance is in my head, but I do Depo Provera and it is a milk based formula and all I know is that when I am on it I AM more lactose intolerant. But the doctor says it isn't possible, but then medical science doesn't know everything I guess. Oh well.

JLC
07-09-2006, 11:03 AM
I've been on several different bc pills and several of them gave me "morning sickness". It was just like morning sickness, but I knew that I wasn't pregnant. So, I'm thinking maybe it's the new bc pill they switched you to??

07-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Maybe it is the bcp?? I never even gave that a thought. Although I did get sick only after I ate those foods. If it is the pills it would be the first time I ever have nausea with a new pill. But I suppose it does happen. Usually I just react with more migraines on a new pill.

Nope, haven't changed my dairy tablets either. Trust me, your lactose intolerance is not in your head, its in your tummy. :rofling: I'm walking proof of that.

caviar
07-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh, yeah. I forgot (it's been so many years) that when I first started (and later switched) my pill, it made me pretty sick. I solved the problem by taking a b-complex vitamin with plenty of B6 in it. Apparently it gets sucked right out of your system with the pill (and with pregnancy). Besides, taking a B-complex is a good idea for any woman, since you need folic acid if you may possibly become pregnant and since the Bs give you energy. My 2 cents. Good luck,

Kirstin

Mrs.H
07-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Nope, haven't changed my dairy tablets either. Trust me, your lactose intolerance is not in your head, its in your tummy. :rofling: I'm walking proof of that.
You said it sister, sometimes I'd like to kick doctors who say stuff like that square in the pants.
Linda