PDA

View Full Version : Where do you sit when you knit?

figaro
07-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I have been wondering this for a while, mainly because I cannot seem to find the right spot in our house to be comfy for knitting. I moved from one spot to the other for more light but there is no real table so I use the plastic storage bin for my yarn (with a lid) to set my knitting, coke, tv remotes, etc.

Do all of you experienced knitters have that perfect spot to do your knitting or is wherever you sit the perfect spot? I am hoping to have my perfect spot after we move to NJ this summer so right now I just have to make due... :XX:

Jenelle
07-08-2006, 10:57 PM
My perfect spot is on my computer chair in my room. I usually just prop my yarn on my lap.

It did take me a little bit to find it though.

DianaM
07-08-2006, 11:02 PM
I haven't found a perfect spot, though I seem to knit a lot in bed (I have very lil' "sitting" furniture).

Someday, I'd love to get a rocking chair, because I rock myself unconsciously when I knit/crochet.

sara_jayne
07-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I have a corner of the couch that is mine! I sit on a pillow and I have a special lamp to help me see well. I take up 1/2 of the coffee table with my knitting stuff and the rest of it is in leather boxes between the speakers and the TV - it must be close! Usually I have a dog on either side of me, stretched out on their own pillows!

Robin R
07-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I have a big dark green recliner that is mine all mine, right here by the computer desk. It is sooo comfortable - perfect for knitting in. :XX:

07-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Someday, I'd love to get a rocking chair

Oooo, this does sound nice. My mom has one of the 'newer' rocking chairs with the ottoman and it is so comfy. She got lucky with that one. Yes, a rocking chair would make due.

I am recalling the movie (I forget the name!) the one where Tom Hanks pairs up with 2 other guys to rob a bank, and he takes a room with an older lady and she's in this one scene rocking in her chair and humming and knitting. So peaceful. (I won't tell you what's in that scene, don't worry she doesn't die.)

Yes, a rocking chair would be nice...(sighing softly to myself and humming)

figaro
07-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Yea, one of the newer rocking chairs with a ottoman would be nice. My grandma had a table that had a lamp coming out of it and a shelf (and maybe even a magazine holder). I think that a combination of the two would be nice for me. Oh, I can't wait to move! :cheering:

Tammy6071
07-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Someday, I'd love to get a rocking chair, because I rock myself unconsciously when I knit/crochet

Me too!!!

I have a corner of the couch that is mine!

Me too!!

brendajos
07-08-2006, 11:49 PM
where do i do the MOST knitting? movie theatre! ;)

otherwise i am a corner of the couch girl too!

DreamWeaver
07-09-2006, 12:00 AM
I usually knit on my sisters beanbag in her room while she's playing vidio games. It's not really the ideal spot. I don't really have a real knitting spot... I might find one soon! :happydance:

kschmitz
07-09-2006, 12:03 AM
As I sit in a fold-out chair meant for camping/tailgating in my empty living room waiting for the movers to bring me my stuff, I am very jealous of your couches, computer chairs, and especially rocking chairs! But yeah, I'm trying to learn socks and Continental knitting (at the same time) sitting in a camping chair. But I usually sit on my couch...I wonder where between Philly and Oregon my couch is, actually.

:X: (in a camping chair!)

brendajos
07-09-2006, 12:05 AM
you know i was at my sit n knit this last week and one of the girls came in carting her own chair...it sounds like it was just like your chair and i think she had the best place in the joint, as i sat on the couch. she had the can holder in one arm for her drink and one for her cell phone. She looked mightily comfy compared to the people sitting on the floor or footstools! :thumbsup:

Lieke
07-09-2006, 04:16 AM
I usually sit in the corner of the couch. I've got a special light, to make me see everything.

EssenceRose
07-09-2006, 04:38 AM
I'm like some of the others. I have "my" corner of the sofa and my knitting sits to my left on the floor at my feet because I like to knit if I'm watching TV. All my knitting sits in what looks like a magazine holder (it's the best way I can describe it) and that way it's always handy when I sit down to watch some television. :) We have a great big wooden chest in front of the sofa that is used as storage space and a coffee table that I am considering putting some of my stash into... now to find some way to sneak that by DH. LOL

Celine
07-09-2006, 06:18 AM
When I knit I sit in my living room in a nice big shabby chic style fabric chair. It's perfect. I have a footstool to match and am very comfy there.

dustinac
07-09-2006, 08:36 AM
I have my corner of the couch too.. but I have to watch or that will cause my wrist/back to start to ache.. then I move to my glider rocking chair and prop my feet up on the ottoman and knit away.. this is where I would normally sit but I try the couch to sit near dh.. :lol:

ETA: I also love to sit outside in my swing while I knit...

LOVES2Knit2011
07-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I usuallysit in a rocker/recliner and watch tv in my basement lol! Or I just sit on my bed in front of yet a tv

janelanespaintbrush
07-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I like to recline against a few propped up pillows in my bed. I keep thinking it must be bad posture-wise, but I feel more relaxed that way than sitting up properly, which usually gets uncomfortable for me after a while. Of course, there are many times when I end up sitting right in front of my computer with my knitting, trying to follow a technique from one of Amy's videos!

DianaM
07-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Someday, I'd love to get a rocking chair

Oooo, this does sound nice. My mom has one of the 'newer' rocking chairs with the ottoman and it is so comfy. She got lucky with that one. Yes, a rocking chair would make due.
[/size]

:thinking: Oh! gliders!!!! Yesh!!

From what I've heard Dutailier (http://www.dutailier.com/000/?locId=4105), makes the Cadillac of gliders :heart: :heart:

horve1
07-09-2006, 11:40 AM
At my desk at work! ..... Or my corner of the couch at home, but then I nearly come to blows with DH over my need for light! :wall:

BinkyKat
07-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Most of the time I knit on the chaise area of the huge sectional that occupies our tiny living room. It's actually the most used part of the couch..and the cushion isn't reversible so I can't flip it once in a while. On occasion I'll lodge myself into the corner of the sectional when I want to be warm and cozy and don't have to get up for a while. I wish work had a more "private" area to go sit. The lunch room is too big, noisy, and messy (because SOME people don't know how to wipe a table after they eat all over it), and the lobby is smallish, but still, contant traffic. There is an area by the back steps that has a huge floor to ceiling window that overlooks the "smokers' cage" that has a strip of carpet between the window and the stairwell. I'll grab that but the occasional reader or cell user might be there.
:thumbsup:

koolbreeze
07-09-2006, 05:56 PM
in my bed! :thumbsup:

Sara
07-09-2006, 10:33 PM
I knit everywhere I can. Today I knit at the sub shop in one of those swivel chairs connected to the table, at the bandstand sitting on the cement step, on a straight backed wooden chair at the coffee shop, on a wildly uncomfortable bench on the village green, on our friends' front stoop with their idiot dog trying to stick his head in the knitting bag, and at the playground on a slightly more comfortable bench.

isaiah507
07-09-2006, 11:40 PM
I find that can knit for longer periods of time while in the car rather than at home. I think sitting upright (in the car) helps me for some reason. My arms get tired easily, which is very frustrating do the the severity of my addiction...

:XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX:

I currently do not have a job right now and wish I could knit for hours upon hours, but my arms hurt after just an hour... depending on the complication of the pattern. I definately cannot knit while slouching!! Hurts my arms!! Maybe some day they'll toughen up...

DragonTush
07-10-2006, 12:44 AM
I sit in the corner of the couch with my knitting stuff in a basket by my left side. The lamp is the little table beside me so I can see better.

glomper
07-10-2006, 01:09 AM
my favourite place is my armchair with footrest & good neck support. I can't slouch anyway knitting for too long as it makes my back & neck hurt. The same thing happens if I sit at a regular table to play cards, not
that I play very often.

njknitter
07-10-2006, 08:30 AM
we move to NJ this summer

What exit???
:roflhard:

(I am from NJ and am therefore allowed to make fun of our state even though I do not have big hair)

Shandeh
07-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Here's my knitting spot - in a rocking chair in my craft room. Heaven. :inlove:

feministmama
07-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I also love to sit outside in my swing while I knit...

OOoooo I would love to sit out on the porch and knit. Now if I just had a porch :thinking: ........

I do have one of those glider rockers though. (baby shower gift 10 years ago) and it is perfect for knitting. But when I'm at home I usually just knit in my bed. It's very comfy (futon with spring mattress underneath). Otherwise I knit everywhere I go, on the bus, in line at the grocery store, at the library, you name it.

jodstr2
07-10-2006, 11:18 AM
most times it's the couch for me - either couch, but ideally the corner next to the Ott-Lite.

I do this sometimes too:
in my bed! :thumbsup:
I sit cross-legged on the bed and knit and watch TV.

snephenie
07-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I sit on the right side of the couch, with my left side leaning into it. It's MY spot. It's where the light is and all.

I'd love to get a glider or one of those chaise counch thingys :)

brownishcoat
07-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I sit on my bed and watch TV, too. And I also surf KH from there. ;)

brendajos
07-10-2006, 12:41 PM
I'd love to get a glider or one of those chaise counch thingys :)

they place i work p/t has a chaise lounge website and i was perusing the site this weekend dreaming of all the furniture i wanted to fill my new house.

alas...i should probably buy the house first.... :verysad:

skNYC
07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't sit because the only time I get a chance to knit is watching my kids and standing on a commuter's train.

figaro
07-10-2006, 07:05 PM
We have one of those chaise lounge chairs, there is a cushion so it can be a chair only and a ottoman with a chaise cushion to be a chaise and everytime I try to sit in it and knit, it just does not work. With 3 kids I am getting up and down all the time and in that I am climbing in and out of it all the time. The more I think about it, I want to get a glider and glider ottoman when we move, it will be my space to sit and knit, read or just relax! ;)

carollovesyarn
07-10-2006, 07:27 PM
On my okole! :roflhard:

Or my corner of the couch at home, but then I nearly come to blows with DH over my need for light! :wall:

I have the same light battle for light too! Then when I can turn on the one next to me, it's really not bright enough. Hanging my arm over the edge of the couch does nothing except put it to sleep.

Shandeh
07-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I have an old reading lamp that I bought at a consignment store for about 10 dollars. I replaced the bulb with a high intensity flourescent bulb, and it has just as much shine as an Ott Lamp!

carollovesyarn
07-10-2006, 09:43 PM
I have an old reading lamp that I bought at a consignment store for about 10 dollars. I replaced the bulb with a high intensity flourescent bulb, and it has just as much shine as an Ott Lamp!I thought of that, but that would only fuel the battle. :thinking:

jamadian75
07-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Mostly airplane seats (ouch!) and hotel beds due to work travel.

At home I sit in our bedrrom lounging chairs. They spin (wheeee!) so if I need to adjust my position for better light I can.

Key for me is to have as close to a straight back as possible so as not to aggravate anything in the neck/shoulders.