PDA

View Full Version : kool aid dye: vinegar a must?

XbelovedXoneX
07-09-2006, 12:46 PM
So I have a skein of cheapy yarn ready for dyeing with kool aid. I've got my kool aid colors all picked out. But then I discovered I only have balsamic vinegar, not white!! Is using vinegar a must? I read on knitty's article you don't need it, but everything else I've read says you do. Help please??

nefferbea
07-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I used Knitty's directions when I koolade dyed some KnitPicks yarn. It was fun and easy to do. I didn't use vinegar and the yarn soaked up all the color. After I cooked it in the microwave and let it rest, I rinsed it and I didn't notice any color bleeding from the yarn.

I am knitting a felted clog slipper with the yarn, so I'll see how well the dye holds up during the felting.

Jennifer

Julie
07-09-2006, 02:45 PM
The one time I forgot to add vinegar, my yarn bled like crazy. :rollseyes:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-09-2006, 10:13 PM
I used vinegar, also, just because I thought better safe than sorry. You could do a "test dye" on a small bit of yarn, to see if you really need it.

nefferbea
07-17-2006, 10:11 AM
I just felted my koolaid dyed clog slippers last night, using hot water and a mild soap. There was no color in the soapy water or the rinse water.

I didn't use vinegar when I dyed the yarn. I cooked it in the microwave, 2 minutes at a time, until the dye water in the dish turned clear, so maybe that it why I didn't have a problem with the dye bleeding.

XbelovedXoneX, let us know how your dying turns out!

Jennifer

projectgal
07-17-2006, 09:25 PM
could you go ahead and dye the yarn without the vinegar, then when you block or felt, add vinegar to the water to keep it from bleeding? I add a little vinegar to the wash when I am washing red items or a new garmet I think may bleed.

Just an idea to save a trip to the store tonight!