PDA

View Full Version : Worlds largest Booga Bag. *Updated--major disappointment*

TheLuckyOne
07-09-2006, 10:42 PM
I have created the worlds largest Booga.

After making two Boogas following the original pattern and being disappointed in the small size, I thought I'd try one by increasing the pattern by half. I cast on 50 stitches and knit back and forth for 50 rows. Then I picked up 100 extra stitches around my rectangle and then knit in the round for 100 rows and now I have a Booga that measures...

21 inches tall and 22 inches wide (before felting, of course)!!! It is absolutely freaking huge. If I hold it up to my waist, it comes down past my knees, and I'm 5'4".

I wonder how much smaller it will get after it is felted? It is just ridiculous how big this thing is right now. I probably used about 6 skeins of Noro Kureyon color 134 and I haven't even done the i-cord yet.

I'll post pics after felting, but it might be a few days. I have to use my friend's washer as mine is a front loader and won't felt anything.

TheLuckyOne
07-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Ack, I can't remember how to post pictures!!! Help, I have two great pictures I want to post!

TheLuckyOne
07-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Trying again...

TheLuckyOne
07-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Argh, this is ticking me off.

Ok, I'm going down to the 'Add an Attachment' section and clicking the 'Browse' button. Then it takes me to 'My Pictures' and I select the picture I want and it defaults in under Filename. Then I type in my comment and click 'Add Attachment'. But nothing happens....

Help!!!!! :??

Jan in CA
07-09-2006, 11:02 PM
If the image is too large it won't post. The largest it can be is 500 pixels horizontally. Usually it says what the problem is at the top of the page when it's too large.

BTW you can edit your own posts by clicking "edit" so you don't have to keep replying to yourself. ;)

TheLuckyOne
07-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I like replying to myself. ;) :D

Ok, the problem is the size. I'll resize them and try again!

Thanks.

gardenmommy
07-09-2006, 11:24 PM
That is one hooga Booga! Did you do it in Noro?

I have a front loader, and I felted a booga just fine. I did "preheat" the water by running a prewash in hot through, and I think even added some nearly boiling water from a tea kettle. I think I had it in a pillowcase, with some jeans also (and maybe shoes?) but when I did the I-cords, I had them in a mesh lingerie bag and they felted much faster. It did take a few times through, but I feel that it did felt successfully.

Jan in CA
07-10-2006, 02:51 AM
It IS huge! :shock: It will shrink up quite a bit though. I love the colors!

....and if I need a new washer I'm going to get a toploader..none of this not being able to felt stuff! :rollseyes:

Angelia
07-10-2006, 06:42 AM
That is one big Booga! I love the colors--can't wait to see it felted! :happydance:

SandraEllen
07-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Very nice! I love my booga. I use it for a tote bag.

I also made mine on the large side. Cast on 50, knitted 40ish rows, made it about 100 rows tall. Ended up being about 13inches x 4.5 inches x 14 inches tall.

I would recommend making your i-cord with at least 7 stitches. The 5 stitch one seams too thin since i tend to care more/heavier things in the larger bag.

sara_jayne
07-10-2006, 08:24 AM
That is huge - but the colors are great!

becjo
07-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I just made my first bag a few weeks ago and I too was disappointed how small it was. I was going to do the same and increase the bag - you beat me too it - which is great because I can see how yours turns out!! Be sure to post a picture. I'm all curious! :thinking:

Jenelle
07-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Love the colors! And that IS hugh! :shock:

TheLuckyOne
07-10-2006, 03:47 PM
My front loader does not felt, at all. It is one of the new Bosch ones, and it just doesn't do it!

rebecca
07-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Love the color....I think the size is going to be just right after you felt ;)

feministmama
07-10-2006, 07:28 PM
See now I wanted to make a bigger booga (say that 5x fast) but was a little intimidated. Thatnks for oging first :oops: I ccan't wait to see how it felts :cheering:

AnreeAce
07-10-2006, 10:25 PM
It looks great...

Just don't felt the cat!

mks22300
07-10-2006, 10:55 PM
What pretty colours!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-11-2006, 12:04 AM
love it!!!!

how long was your icord??????

TheLuckyOne
07-11-2006, 03:09 PM
I have't made my i-cord yet. I needed a break from the project. I was thinking of making it about 8 feet long and a 7-8 stitch cord.

Jan in CA
07-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Eight feet? :shock: Just so you know...i-cords don't shrink quite as much as the bag...at least in my experience. :thinking:

SandraEllen
07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
here's a quick pic of mine. So you can see the length of the handles.

I made my I-cord about 100 inches long. Just a little over 8 feet.

http://www.brewerdigitalarts.com/knitting/images/booga.jpg

Jan in CA
07-11-2006, 05:44 PM
So eight feet works! Wow! That's a pretty bag!

Rhyannon1970
07-11-2006, 06:06 PM
:D WOW, love the bigger Boogas, was thinking seriously about picking up the yarn to make one on Thurs(my day to work) but now im thinking about doing a larger one...how many balls for a bigger one...like 5-6 of the Noro?

Wish me luck!

Rhy :thumbsup:

TheLuckyOne
07-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Every bag I've ever made has said in the pattern to make the i-cord 6-8 feet.

I'm glad to know that 8 feet works!

Now, I've got to get going on that. Even though I'm generally a slow knitter, I can whip out i-cord pretty quickly, so maybe I'll be felting and assembling by the weekend. I'll keep everyone updated with pics!

TheLuckyOne
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
OK, so the bag and the i-cord have been felted and assembled and I'm really disappointed. The bag just looks wonky, doesn't hold it's shape. *sigh* Maybe I didn't put the straps in the right place or something. I mean, it will work OK, but it's just not what I had envisioned. It did shrink quite a bit. Before felting the measurements were something like 22x21 and after felting it's 13 inches from top to bottom and about 15 inches from side to side.

Does anyone have any idea to improve it???

gimmesanity
07-17-2006, 06:37 PM
I love the colorway....it's gorgeous.

If you want to make it look less wonky, maybe some serious blocking?
Soak it real good, then try and get as much water out of it and build yourself some sort of box thing to put the whole booga over so it can dry and hold its shape.

I really like the size, though. It's perfect for schlepping around town.
:D

TheLuckyOne
07-17-2006, 07:05 PM
I tried blocking it after I took it out of the washer after felting. I have to felt my stuff at a friend's house because I have a front loader that won't felt. We made a custom made thingie out of a bunch of books and a cereal box. She said she let it dry before she took it off, but man is it limp.

It is just really disappointing. I am a sloowww knitter and it took me forever to finish. There are 15,000 stitches in the bag, not including the rectangle bottom. I just wanted it to be perfect. :(

jamadian75
07-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I would suggest re-blocking too - maybe do it at your place by just running the whole thing under some hot water (use gloves so you can run the water as hot as you can stand it ). Soak the bag in a sink, then press out as much water as you can and block again.

If that doesn't work because of the bags height, you could shape the bottom rectangle by cutting some plastic canvas to match the bottom dimensions and put it in the bottom. Then just hand stitch a few stabilizing stitches on each of the bottom 4 corners. If you don't like the look of the canvas inside, hot glue some fabric around it first, then stitch it at the corners. The great thing about felt is that it doesn't really show stitching on the outside due to the fuzz.

kristinw
07-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Could you maybe line it with a stiff fabric?

newamy
07-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Re-blocking sounds good to me too.

Lining it might also help; cordoroy, denim, or twill might give it more strength but I would iron on interfacing to the back of the fabric as well.

I'm currently blocking my first booga- standard size- and plan to put interfacing in my lining. I'm not using a heavy lining though. Just a cotton blend. I also plan to put button holes in the fabric so the strap can run through both the lining and the bag. Haven't actually done this yet, but that's my plan.

jamadian75
07-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Re-blocking sounds good to me too.

Lining it might also help

Lining is something I'd like to do with several of my knit/felted bags.
I've done it once before but it was a tad sloppy. If you have some good tips newamy, please share! :D

kschmitz
07-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Here's an online tutorial by a knitter named knitting betty (posted on someone else's server) for lining felted bags without sewing, using iron-on fusable facing (or whatever it's called)...http://www.ksks.scoutj.com/?p=10

It seemed to work well, although I haven't tried it myself yet.

DotMom61
07-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Well, I love the colors, but having done a couple Boogas and lots of Oregon Totes, I have to say that doubling the yarn makes a HUGE difference.

But since it's too late for that, I was going to suggest Jamadian's idea of putting some of that plastic x-stitch canvas in the bottom & just anchoring it @ the corners like she said. That would probably be fabulous along w/ the lining!! I'm sure it would make quite a difference.

And kschmitz, I am SO excited about that lining tutorial!! I can sew, but I don't like to that much, and I think that the fusable webbing stuff is a miracle. :lol: Thank you so much for pointing us to that ... I have several bags I can use that on. :thumbsup:

TheLuckyOne
07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, I can't sew worth a darn (I mean not at all!) and frankly, I'm sick of this bag. Actually, once I got all of my stuff in it (Irish hiking scarf I'm working on, baby stuff I'm knitting) it's not half bad. I suppose I could go to the LYS and see if I could hire someone there to do a lining for me, but for now, I'm OK.

Thanks.

kemp
07-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Well, I don't think it looks that wonky to start with! Maybe if you take a little break from thinking about it for a while you'll either decide you like it as is or figure out something do do with it later.

Mommy2chipmunk
07-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Here is a simple fix that has worked for me.....Block the bag over a box a bit larger than you think you need, so that it has to stretch a bit over it. That makes the bag much more square and straight!

brendajos
07-27-2006, 06:46 AM
Could you maybe line it with a stiff fabric?

i agree....line that puppy. use some interfacing too to make the fabric more sturdy.

feministmama
07-27-2006, 01:59 PM
How bout a piece of cardboard in the bottom :thinking:

Celine
07-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I love Noro yarns. Your bag is so pretty. I bet you will just LOVE it after you felt it. Just be sure and felt it "enough" so it will be the size y ou want. Can't wait to see it when its done. Good luck!! Pretty CAT too. :roflhard: