PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded 'Roseanne' afghan

PinkRoses
07-10-2006, 04:15 PM
O.k., I know it's not knitted but it's a chrochet pattern. Most everyone seems to hate this afghan with a passion but I've always thought it was cute. :roflhard: Seriously, I've always liked it. :D

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/monver.html

Ingrid
07-10-2006, 04:33 PM
That pattern's probably been around since the first human ancestor picked up a hooked stick. :rofling: You see a lot of very colorful ones donated to nursing homes and such. Great stash buster, I'd imagine.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-10-2006, 04:37 PM
I have 3 of those made by my grandmother!!! She always said they were a pain to make, but each one of the 6 grandkids and 2 great-grandkids has at LEAST two of them!

gardenmommy
07-10-2006, 04:44 PM
For the crochet-ignorant (such as myself)...are those granny squares?

Ellen Edwards
07-10-2006, 04:45 PM
It IS a great stash buster--and I have done about 8 of them in my life, I'm sure. It was enjoyable to do when it was hot, because there's such a small amount to work with at a time. And it's easy to do and to put together!! So what if it's crochet---you can do BOTH!!!

Angelia
07-10-2006, 04:52 PM
I love the granny square afghans! They are hideous in a sense, I suppose, but there's something so homey and cozy about them to me. I guess it's because my grandmother had a couple of them, so I always associate them with her.

PinkRoses
07-10-2006, 04:58 PM
I love the granny square afghans! They are hideous in a sense, I suppose, but there's something so homey and cozy about them to me. I guess it's because my grandmother had a couple of them, so I always associate them with her.

Exactly! I think there is something about them that seems cozy. :happydance:

Angelia
07-10-2006, 05:01 PM
As a kid, I loved poking my fingers through all the little holes. I used to get into trouble for that... :shifty:

feministmama
07-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I've never had an afgahn and I've never made an afghan. We had quilts. My aunts would tell me how in generations past, they would make them with directions for runaway slaves how to navigate the underground railroad. My mother has one quilt a great great (I'm not sure how many greats back. I don't think it was all they way back to slavery but very close) grandmother made. It's not an underground railroad quilt though. I think it's a jumping the broom quilt. Anyway, it's part of folklore for many black folks in the US. But i"m sure there are lots of black folks who made afghans too. Maybe not unitl more recently though. I wonder who made the first granny square? Was it called that? Was it a sign of "high society" or "lower class?" Just stuff I wonder about. Maybe I can make an afghan with kinte colors!! :thinking:

Jackie M.
07-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I still like mine :oops: and it still looks good 35 years after my sister crocheted it for me. We drag it out every winter as a throw.

mulene
07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I remember travelling in the back of my friends (who lived down the road) parents Hillman Hunter car (it was considered THE family car in the '70's it was an estate car!) - in the boot there were two extra seats that faced the rear window. We sat in those and were wrapped up warm in a granny square crochet afghan. If I recall correctly, her mother had a bag that was made of the same squares and lined which she used to keep the sandwiches in.

I did the same as angelia, poked fingers through the holes =D I also detested the thing *laugh*

Jenelle
07-10-2006, 08:09 PM
I still have two blankets that my great gramma crocheted for me. :D

I also have a quilt that an amish lady gave my mom.

AnreeAce
07-10-2006, 10:29 PM
I've still got the one my g'ma made for me umpteen years ago... it's a little battered, but I treasure it because she made for me.

Ellen Edwards
07-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Have to just say this--although I've made, and loved making the granny afghans-- these days I really love the cotton/blend throws that most people use now--they're easy to wash, they're relatively cheap and you can't punch holes through them with your fingers (easily, anyway!!)--and they don't PILL like the yarn ones do!!

Plus, I'm always HOT..yes, I'm 56!!

nicolethegeek
07-11-2006, 09:53 AM
For some reason the granny square bores me to tears. Plus I HATE sewing them together. My grandmother has never crocheted, only knitted, so in the 70s we got an orange and brown ripple afghan that had holes for me to poke my fingers through! The quiltghan I surprised Derek with one Christmas was all granny squares, but I joined them as I went. It took me over 3 days to weave in the ends! :shock:

cheesiesmom
07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Back in the 70's I made a similar one except the squares were more "open" or lacy. When my son was very little (he'll be 30 next month), he used to throw it between two chairs, sit under it pretending he was a spider and the afghan was his web.

Long granny square vests were all the rage during the late 60's, too. Usually in a variety of colors that didn't match. And if you had psychedelic colors, way cool!

1to1
07-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Here's a colorful twist to the granny square afghan. My 11 yo DD made this in a month-yes, I'm very proud of her. :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/AllysBlankets012.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/AllysBlankets005.jpg

Granny Squares don't have to be boring and black.

KnittyLou
07-11-2006, 01:15 PM
My aunts would tell me how in generations past, they would make them with directions for runaway slaves how to navigate the underground railroad. :

that is fascinating! Thanks for sharing that bit.

Linda

IndianPrincessSIP
07-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Love that afgan! You Should be Proud! :thumbsup:

I am not a crocheter yet~ but I really love the Granny Square, and will figure out how to do it one of these days. I really really want to play with this pattern in one of my WorkBasket booklets. :D

PinkRoses
07-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Here's a colorful twist to the granny square afghan. My 11 yo DD made this in a month-yes, I'm very proud of her. :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/AllysBlankets012.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/AllysBlankets005.jpg

Aww...that's really nice! I used to love to work on crafts when I was her age too. Looks like she's got a lot of skills at this point. I hope that if I ever have a daughter, she would love knitting and crocheting as much as I do. ;)

SandraEllen
07-11-2006, 02:27 PM

AWESOME!!! I :heart: that afghan!!!!

feministmama
07-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Love that afgan! You Should be Proud! :thumbsup:

I am not a crocheter yet~ but I really love the Granny Square, and will figure out how to do it one of these days. I really really want to play with this pattern in one of my WorkBasket booklets. :D

Oh MY!! How 60's!! Are you going to make what's on the cover or iss there an afghan in there?

Shandeh
07-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Granny Squares were my introduction to yarn crafts. In my teen years, my boyfriend's mother taught me to make them. I never made a whole afghan, because I was not immersed in the craft. I made one huge square that I ended up using as a "lap blanket" for my babies when they were in car seats. I think I still have it somewhere!

IndianPrincessSIP
07-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Oh MY!! How 60's!! Are you going to make what's on the cover or iss there an afghan in there?

I want to make and Wear the cover project of course!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BohenGallery/TheBardsColiseumIconShow/hippi.gif
It's cool man.

samm
07-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I kinda like granny square affies. Childhood memories I think. I have one that is quite ugly that was crocheted during the depression by my great gran, using yarn frogged from old sweaters and such. The outer edges of each square are a vile gold, which isn't the prettiest, but likely was the only yarn available in a large enough amout. I love the thing, because it is a family special item, and it is in my living room ugly yarn and all. :D I do love the bright afghan the dd made! How beautiful! She's a talented young woman. I hope she sticks to her skill and makes more things. samm

Shandeh
07-11-2006, 08:03 PM
I want to make and Wear the cover project of course!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BohenGallery/TheBardsColiseumIconShow/hippi.gif
It's cool man.

WAY cool! I wanna see you wearing that, with a flower in your hair, and guitar in your lap. :D

IndianPrincessSIP
07-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Actually~ :D
I Do play the guitar and my hair is perfect for flowers, I think I'll make a dandylion chain, that's the ticket.

and you'll hear me singing...

Where have all the flowers gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago........

Shandeh
07-11-2006, 08:12 PM
I'll play accompaniment on my piano, and sing an alto harmony.

Ah the 60's....decade of my birth. :D

IndianPrincessSIP
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I would love for you to join the hippy love fest.
1961 lyrics ~ mymy I cried the first time I heard this.......

WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE
words and music by Pete Seeger
performed by Pete Seeger and Tao Rodriguez-Seeger

Long time passing
Long time ago
Girls have picked them every one
When will they ever learn?

Where have all the young girls gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Taken husbands every one

Where have all the young men gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one

Where have all the soldiers gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Gone to graveyards every one

Where have all the graveyards gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Covered with flowers every one
When will we ever learn?
When will we ever learn?

1961 (Renewed) Fall River Music Inc
All Rights Reserved.
http://www.arlo.net/lyrics/flowers-gone.shtml

Shandeh
07-11-2006, 08:24 PM
I was in my mother's womb when Kennedy was assassinated, so I didn't get to see all the of the 60's, but I remember my parent's sitting on their vinyl sofa, watching the news on black and white television every night. I watched the political turmoil, saw the astronauts walking on the moon. I didn't understand any of it, but I saw it.

IndianPrincessSIP
07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I was three the day President Kennedy was assasinated. It is my earliest memory. I was sitting on the floor at my Mother's feet watching her work her Singer sewing machine foot pedal, wanting badly to stick my hands out and help her feet. :D
She was watching 'Days of Our Lives' Like sands through the hour glass....so it was noon.
My Dad burst through the front door, I remember looking at him, with so much sunshine all around him, I couldn't look at his face.

"The Presidents been shot!"

I heard my Mom gasp and the TV said

"We interrupt this regularly scheduled program...."

We watched all of it. I remember all the footage.

I was in school for the lunar landing.
They brought televisions into every classroom, and we all watched it one afternoon. I remember not being all that amazed about it. We could fly, why not to the moon? :D

kimono7
07-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Didn't one of the girls on Sex and the City wear a granny square sweater? I'm pretty sure one of them did.

IndianPrincessSIP
07-12-2006, 02:31 PM
See?
Granny Vests are cool! :cheering:

IndianPrincessSIP
07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Besides~
Behold what the simple Granny Square has become.....

Crochet Magazine
http://www.crochetmagazine.com/tableofcontents.php

brownishcoat
07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Now that's what I call an UPDATE! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

IndianPrincessSIP
07-12-2006, 03:31 PM
http://bardscoliseum.com/images/smilies/amen.png